Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so boring??? (Or what am I doing wrong?)

wow.pwns111wow.pwns111 Member Posts: 108

Hi,

So I've always been a big Fantasy RPG / MMO player.

Started out with Diablo, EQ1, EQ2 and most recently WoW.

After playing WoW for about two years I got sick of the Fantasy Genre and wanted a change, so I got myself a 14 day eve trial. At first it was Amazing. I was absolutely blown away by the graphics, attention to detail and overall scale of the game, but alas by the end of my 14 day trial I was bored to tears...

I found that all there was to do was run the same boring straightforward missions over and over, it was repeteitive and boring...

Fast forward 6 months later. I d/l another trial and decide im going to sub for an extra month after the trial ends so that I can get a nice cruiser and start doing some pvp. So I did this, saved up my money and bought myself an Amarr cruiser I believe (cant remember which one exactly) and I head out to 0.0 only to be killed in under 20 secs. I go back and buy another nicely decked cruiser and head back to 0.0 this time with 2 friends and get destroyed within 5 mins. "Eff this" I say to myself as I cancel my sub.....

I reeeeeeealllly want to like this game. I truly truly do. Maybe Im just not getting it. I'd like to resub but I'm just worried that I'm going to be experiencing the same boring thing all over.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to make my EVE experience a fun one?

"We have barred the gates, but can not hold them for long...
They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall...
We can not get out. The end comes.
Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming..."

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by wow.pwns111

Can someone give me some pointers on how to make my EVE experience a fun one?

Get better friends.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

First of all while venturing out into 0.0 for pvp can be done with a low SP character it really can't be done with an inexperienced player, My suggestion would be to try and find one of the alliances that will help explain some of the tactics and intel gathering methods to allow you  to last longer in PVP, As a solo game EVE is extremely boring to most people its when you get the group dynamics that things start becoming a bit more interesting. If you are willing to get into Feel free to send me a mail in game I usually don't have an issue helping out. I may not be very timely because of my work schedule but I do try to answer questions when possible.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244
    Originally posted by wow.pwns111

missions over and over

dont do this. this is bad.

you second mistake was to take stuff you couldnt afford to lose into a very hostile combat scenario and get all emo when it got blown up. take stuff you can afford to lose into lowsec first, try faction warfare. when the cheap stuff gets blown up, you wont be so emo and quit.

join a good corp, makes the game 10x better.

good luck.

• tastethegoldtastethegold Member Posts: 53

your name says it all. stick to the tard-o-matic and stay out of other games. you plainly cant hang. not that eve is for everyone, but using that name you are screaming "i love it in the butt!".

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Ehh I never really found Eve boring and I did the Mission grind and played solo high sec the first four months (bad Idea but I was a newb).

The game gets so much better once you join a real player owned corp.

I now live in 0.0 and have a blast playing with my friends.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

I have 2 suggestions for the OP which may be found helpful.

First, don't rush to bigger ships.  Cruisers are much more costly to lose than frigates and you can learn a lot from frigate PvP.  Unlike some games, bigger is not necessarily better.  And, with limited SP you will probably be able to fly the frigate more effectively anyway.

Second,  you don't really have to rush into low/null sec for PvP unless you have a real reason to.  There are plenty of hi-sec PvP corps around that accept players with low SP.

Hope this will help you and that you will keep trying.  Once you've found your "groove", wherever that may be, EVE is anything but boring! 

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The OP should also try out faction warfare. PvP in factional contest areas by night and pve in your factions space by day.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• LordZonLordZon Member Posts: 43

The dirty secret in this game is you have to be your own friend.  You need a second account to get anywhere. 

• ChiefSavageChiefSavage Member Posts: 6

The game really has so much depth and choices that I understand how difficult it is to understand what to do and how to make cash. EVE is definitely a game of investment. You have to invest in your character. While my miner alt was useless when I first made them, now he's in a Hulk and makes me millions. My main used to be the speed bump for nano gangs but now I chew people with my HAM Drake. It takes time to build your skills, build your experience and most importantly, build your connections.

While guilds enhance the experience in most MMOs, I feel that corporations are essential to enjoying EVE. Don't be afraid to commit to one. Join a corp that is rather large, sit in corp chat, watch the chat, learn new things. Tag along on bigger gangs, ask LOTS of questions. You'll make lots of friends in EVE. Ask the more experienced players in your corp what you should train and they'll tell you whats good and whats not.

Most importantly, make the distinction between the two types of ship you will buy (if you plan on pvping). You have your livelihood ships. These ships are the ones that generate cash for you. This can be the battleship you do level 4 missions in, the hauler you carry around goods in to sell. Do not risk these if you can avoid it. As you play the game more, your level of income will go up. You will find your wallet grow fat. What do you buy? You want that tricked out Caldari Invul Field? Too damn bad! Don't buy it. Find what PvP ships match your income level. Right now I make enough money to replace any battlecruisers I lose. Joining alliances with industrial wings make this much easier. Sorry if it sounds confusing but it really isn't.

Fly the best in PvE. Fly what you can replace easily in PvP. I know people who splurge on HACs and end up spending 400 million on them, only to get tackled and blown up. That's fine if you can make that money back quickly but... you can't if you're new. You can replace a frigate fitted for tackling. So use that.

• bakkhai42bakkhai42 Member Posts: 27

I'm new to EvE myself, but I think the game is not right for you.  Judging by the games you play you're ok with an gear grind that leads to pwning in pvp/pve... Not EvE.  The game takes time to generate skills that unlock gear - no grind, just patience.  pwning in PvP depends on awarness skills (based on knowledge you develop over time) and decision making skills, which you get faster at as your situational alertness grows.

I think the game is for people who enjoy logistics, planning, details, and depth in learning.

Also a good group (Corp) will bring you along and expose you to things - help you learn the ropes.  A good group of friends make or break any MMORPG.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Join a good 0.0 corp if you want 0.0 PvP.

2 friends ain't gonna do it, but 20 pilots who know eachother well and have a bit of an industrial backbone out in 0.0 will do the trick just fine.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

On your next trial, join either EVE University or any other corp that has a starter organization and they'll guide you into PVP in a manner in which you can win.

My own corp routinely has new players in frigates (Rifters and Griffens) as part of our fleets and they get lots of combat experience.  I can fly BS's but spend most of my time in jamming cruisers because they are cheaper to lose when I screw up.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon