Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie questions :(

ilagilag Member Posts: 3

Just got the game, and was wondering a few things. I read the Odin server is one of the higher pop servers, and from just spending a few hours in the starter area, I agree heh But, is that server newb friendly?  Also, what does it mean when someone "inspects/examines" you? A few have done that to me, dunno what they're looking for lol And they never say anything.

Also, I'm playing the 2008 collection from D2D, will I get the same experience as those that own the boxed editions? I mean, will I get to play with players all over the world and what not? Dumb question, I know, but I've never purchased a MMO download before. And the official site had the link to D2D...

Lastly, how do you see more info of your items in your invo? Like the crystals and what not. Or what effects the food give?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by ilag

Just got the game, and was wondering a few things. I read the Odin server is one of the higher pop servers, and from just spending a few hours in the starter area, I agree heh But, is that server newb friendly?  Also, what does it mean when someone "inspects/examines" you? A few have done that to me, dunno what they're looking for lol And they never say anything.
    Also, I'm playing the 2008 collection from D2D, will I get the same experience as those that own the boxed editions? I mean, will I get to play with players all over the world and what not? Dumb question, I know, but I've never purchased a MMO download before. And the official site had the link to D2D...
    Lastly, how do you see more info of your items in your invo? Like the crystals and what not. Or what effects the food give?
    Thanks in advance!

Well first, welcome to Vana'diel! :)

So another Odin-ite XD. Everyone's going there it seems.

Ah well heheh... I'll answer your questions anyway XD.

Is Odin newbie friendly? Hmm.. that's for someone here to answer who's on there, though I don't see why it wouldn't be.

As a general rule... politeness, willingness to learn and a good attitude will go a long way in how helpful people are on any server..

But you can do this, go to limitbreakradio.com and listen to that podcast - they're based on Odin (which is why so many people flocked there in the first place.

If you register on their forums, introduce yourself, let them know you're new to the game and to Odin, I'm sure there are people who'd be glad to help you - even give you a pearl to the official LBR linkshell :).

I also suggest you listen to some of their podcasts... all very informative and entertaining. Look for the "Gigantous Newbie Guide" episode.. I don't remember which # it is.. but it's on the "older episodes" page, so you'll have to look for it a little. But worth the time.

When someone examines you it simply means they're checking out your level/rank and gear so they know how safe they are robbing you in your sleep.

Just kidding about the robbing part :-p

It is true about the rest though... You can do it yourself... Target someone and press Enter... At the bottom of the context menu at the bottom left menu on the screen you'll see "Check". Use that and you'll see what happens. If someone has a Bazaar (the bag icon next to their name), you can also check what they're selling and buy from them this way.

There should be absolutely no difference between the D2D and the boxed version - except of course the lack of a box and printed manual and install disc. So yes, you'll be playing on the same servers with everyone else, including English, Japanese , French and German players, playing on 360, PS2 and PC.

To see your inventory, press Ctrl-I on the keyboard, or go to the main in-game menu (top-right corner) and go to Items. Highlighting each item will give a description of it.

To see what gear you have equipped, your level, stats and how much xp you have into your current level, press Ctrl-E, or go into the main in-game menu and select "Equipment".

You can find out stats on food and various other things by going to ffxiclopedia.org and looking it up. There is nothing in-game that tells you the effects of food, unfortunately. Though some can be noticed doing a "before and after"of your stats, or by the fact that HP or Mana are regenerating over time, etc.

In general... Best way to learn and retain most any kind of knowledge is to be hands-on about it. So, take your time, look around the areas... dig around the menus and see what you find, etc...

Most of all, of course... have fun :)

/salute

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

yes odin is newbie friend its vey newbe friend