Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I went back -again-.

So I logged back into SWG again under the latest vet trial. I haven't been a subscriber in 3 years and this is only the second vet trial I've used with any real playing time since my cancelation. My first vet trial after the NGE was played only a few hours before I left dejected and angry. I come to these forums often. I see the anger over the NGE still plain to see.

Well thanks to bioware I am -really-  wanting to play in the Star Wars universe again so logging on with as open of a mind as I could must this is what I found...

- Starsider is not dead. Infact the last three days it has seemed rather busy. The community was helpful and welcoming. They awnsered my noobish questions without sarcasim and to the best of their ability.

- SWG still has so many more options for a role player than most any game out there. You that do not role play may not understand, but it means a lot to offer a wide varity of emotes, sitable chairs, character biographys, and most importantly a cantina full (yes I said full) of people to role play with.  I haven't left Mos Eisley yet, but the cantina there was full of characters ranging from level 6-90.

- Jedi, yeah I don't like to see them all over the place, but in truth I see no more of them than I did after they introduced the village. I played for 6 hours last night and probably came across 3 or 4 of them. I know their practically extict in this time line, but to me that was exceptable as the other profession really out numbered the Jedi hands down.

- Combat still is a bit flakey. After fiddling with my interface I have it almost like I had it before the NGE hit. While its not perfect by any means I consider it slighty more interesting than the standard wow/lotro combat. I wish they had taken a page from ddo or AoC when they changed it, but hey the games five years old and their is only so much they can do with an outdated engine. I consider it slightly fustrating, but completely playable.

- Space combat seems unchanged to me. This was always a strong point of SWG for me. I cannot think of another game that offers both flight sim game and a ground game. This goes along way in alleviating the ground game grind. I had forgotten how much fun it was.

In closing I have to say that this trial finally made me want to resub. After playing quite a few more recently released games I know most games are far from perfect and I have just as many gripes with them as I do with SWG in its current state. Despite the loss of professions during NGE SWG still offers more than most MMO's out there. What other game can offer a ground game, flight sim, so many RP options, mounts, vehicles, housing, character customization and pvp all in one game? If you haven't played in years, if you have not seen NGE in its current state I recommend you atleast give it a try. You may be, as I was, pleasantly suprised at how much the game has improved and how much it still has to offer.

-Dailus

Comments

• gothamgotham Member Posts: 26

Fine, you have convinced me. I'm gonna try again

Just one question, are there lots of european players on Starsider?

• DailusDailus Member Posts: 80

Honestly I couldn't tell you. When I played before Starsider was home to eastern/central US time zone players, role players, and pilots. I only saw english speaking players there, but I have only been there 4 days. There maybe European players that playing in my off times since I am in the United States.

-Dailus

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137
    Originally posted by Dailus

So I logged back into SWG again under the latest vet trial. I haven't been a subscriber in 3 years and this is only the second vet trial I've used with any real playing time since my cancelation. My first vet trial after the NGE was played only a few hours before I left dejected and angry. I come to these forums often. I see the anger over the NGE still plain to see.
    Well thanks to bioware I am -really-  wanting to play in the Star Wars universe again so logging on with as open of a mind as I could must this is what I found...
     - Starsider is not dead. Infact the last three days it has seemed rather busy. The community was helpful and welcoming. They awnsered my noobish questions without sarcasim and to the best of their ability.
    - SWG still has so many more options for a role player than most any game out there. You that do not role play may not understand, but it means a lot to offer a wide varity of emotes, sitable chairs, character biographys, and most importantly a cantina full (yes I said full) of people to role play with.  I haven't left Mos Eisley yet, but the cantina there was full of characters ranging from level 6-90.
    - Jedi, yeah I don't like to see them all over the place, but in truth I see no more of them than I did after they introduced the village. I played for 6 hours last night and probably came across 3 or 4 of them. I know their practically extict in this time line, but to me that was exceptable as the other profession really out numbered the Jedi hands down.
    - Combat still is a bit flakey. After fiddling with my interface I have it almost like I had it before the NGE hit. While its not perfect by any means I consider it slighty more interesting than the standard wow/lotro combat. I wish they had taken a page from ddo or AoC when they changed it, but hey the games five years old and their is only so much they can do with an outdated engine. I consider it slightly fustrating, but completely playable.
    - Space combat seems unchanged to me. This was always a strong point of SWG for me. I cannot think of another game that offers both flight sim game and a ground game. This goes along way in alleviating the ground game grind. I had forgotten how much fun it was.
    In closing I have to say that this trial finally made me want to resub. After playing quite a few more recently released games I know most games are far from perfect and I have just as many gripes with them as I do with SWG in its current state. Despite the loss of professions during NGE SWG still offers more than most MMO's out there. What other game can offer a ground game, flight sim, so many RP options, mounts, vehicles, housing, character customization and pvp all in one game? If you haven't played in years, if you have not seen NGE in its current state I recommend you atleast give it a try. You may be, as I was, pleasantly suprised at how much the game has improved and how much it still has to offer.
     -Dailus

Welcome back! Your post pretty much sums up the way I feel. While it isnt perfect, it still offers more than any other game out there. Its one of the few games left that you can still "live" in. I spent all day yesterday bargaining with an armoursmith and then with a weaponsmith, decorating my Gunship and chatting on Dath with a group who were grinding NS.

I wish they would concentrate on fixes more than adding new stuff but I still enjoy the heck out of SWG.

Have fun,

S

• Inat_miveaInat_mivea Star Wars Galaxies CorrespondentMember Posts: 249

starsider is one of the highly populated servers and has a good community that does it all - pvp, pve, and RP. I recently transferred a toon there to get a change of pace.

You pretty much summed it up. The NGE that made us all quit just over three years ago is gone. Its completely different now and is probably one of the best iterations of SWG so far. It has more options available for play style than any other MMO out there (except for maybe Eve)

Combat isnt perfect but its not bad, especially after you get your settings back to a more pre-NGE format.

Welcome back!

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by gotham

We have a lot of Euros on Flurry.

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

I can just agree with the OP, it feels very good to play SWG(European Chimaera), i really enjoying my time there. WoW, Lotro, WAR, Entropia, Ryzom, none of thoose game feels even close to SWG. And yes i have them all installed (exept Ryzom,) on my PC. They just dont gives the feeling that i living in thoose worlds compared to SWG.

Now im off, gonna go sit in Mos Eisly cantina and just listen to the music and chat with the people there. Later, hmm maybe decorate my house, go back to Mos Eisly and get some buffs, check my harvesters and do some crafting, and a trip to space for some mining and and little PvP should be able to fit in to the Scheme:)

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

i'm on a dead server atm lol but i do still really enjoy it. i have done since i started playing in 2005. when the NGE hit i quit, then i came back about 2 months after NGE had hit and i loved it and still do :) as you said not many games offer the types of things available in this game and thats what keeps me playing :)

Originally posted by Jimmy562

i'm on a dead server atm lol but i do still really enjoy it. i have done since i started playing in 2005. when the NGE hit i quit, then i came back about 2 months after NGE had hit and i loved it and still do :) as you said not many games offer the types of things available in this game and thats what keeps me playing :)

if you're on a dead server you should consider making a toon on a populated server. Imaging how much better it would be!

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Inat_mivea

Originally posted by Jimmy562

if you're on a dead server you should consider making a toon on a populated server. Imaging how much better it would be!

i plan to use the free server transfers early next year to go to a more populated one, or i'll just transfer :)

• FmrOprtrFmrOprtr Member Posts: 57

Terrific...from the english being used I would have to say that you definitely have got the gold farmers on your side.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Welcome back :)  Ignore the innevitable crowd that are likely going to be arriving in this thread soon and accusing you of viral marketing :|

• uktitanuktitan Member UncommonPosts: 8

i have recently returned to SWG myself (euro chimeria) And i must say the amount of new things in game are quite surprising, From Heroic instances, to new Space ships, a new space Zone and station, new space loot and a Collections system, for space And ground.. Ranged weapons seem to have been looked at..I dont know about Melee as i dont use them hehe. there is even an Expertise system which wasnt in, last time i played. so all in all, quite a lot of changes....Im sure there are a fair few new bugs to along with the new stuff, but so far i havent come across any..

Anyway, Until SW Tor comes out, SWG will Keep me going and give me the SW fix i am craving..

WB to all the Vets returning.

• khristenkhristen Member Posts: 10

I felt the same way coming back a few months ago.  Other games just don't have what SWG does.  I was very excited coming back into the game after a year absence and was looking forward to building things up again.  I could even overlook the clunky combat system.  I don't have much interest in the heroic instances, but I found plenty to keep me occupied and happy.

Then they threw the free CTS out there and zapped all of my enthusiasm.  Naritus is a fairly low population server, so I don't hold out much hope of it surviving the free CTS.  Even with the improved transfer service, it isn't viable to my game play to transfer to another existing server community.  I'm a roleplayer with a city that we've worked hard to build for over 4 years and stories centered around that city.  To move to another server would be to completely start over, and I just don't have that in me after all the other changes I've stayed through.

I went ahead and cancelled again because it's hard to enjoy things when you have no idea if the effort will even be worth it in a few months.  If we had some more solid information about the CTS (like what servers could transfer and which could be transferred to) I could find ways to adapt and plan ahead, but I don't see much point to keep paying and not be able to want to play.  I may take a look again when they finally announce more information--a month before the transfers open up--but I doubt I'll try to come back in and make things work after all that time.

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll decide Naritus is a destination server.  But I'm not going to relocate to another server and start over.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

-Dailus

3 years? really? like everyone else.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by tillamook

-Dailus

Are you surprised? Saying 3 years means they left just after the NGE, so (stupid) people will read it and think "Oh hey, I left right after the NGE too, and this guy loves it now, maybe I should try it!" If someone says they left 2 years ago, that means they played the NGE for a year, which means they probably liked it then. If they say they left 4 years ago, that means they left before the NGE, didn't like the game before it, and now it fits there little target audience preferences perfectly. It's all about credibility to try and get as many old players back as possible.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• I wouldn't play this game for free.

And I didn't, even when given a free month.  Tried the scavenger hunts, the bastardization of Aurelia, the instances, and yes, the broken mess that is timeline breaking Hoth.  All junk.

Uninstalled the client before the trial expired.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by akevv

Omg a fellow flurry, i havnt played since Nge hit. Is flurry not completely empty, are guilds like STORM, DC, and GSF still around?

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by denshing

Omg a fellow flurry, i havnt played since Nge hit. Is flurry not completely empty, are guilds like STORM, DC, and GSF still around?

I have a toon on Flurry and the server was desolate last time I logged on to it a few months back.  I barely saw 10 people the entire time I was on it...  So I would probably guess that most of the old clans are long gone from Flurry.

Tecmo Bowl.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by salvaje

I wouldn't play this game for free.

I lol'd

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by denshing

STORM are pretty much a full on RP guild now (think Kitty x50), DC recently went back, saw about 10 or so of them. GSF died in 2004, made a short lived resurgence in the CU but were a shade of their former selves and disappeared as quickly as they'd reappeared. MeS are still truckin'  

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by Thunderous

I have a toon on Flurry and the server was desolate last time I logged on to it a few months back.  I barely saw 10 people the entire time I was on it...  So I would probably guess that most of the old clans are long gone from Flurry.

I logged on a couple of times during the vet trial and honestly it's not even close to being desolate, it's hardly a buzzing hive of activity but at the same time it's not exactly dead. I play during EU peak hours and even I saw more players around than you did (Flurry is a West coast server, so the least EU timezone friendly)

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by tillamook

-Dailus

Are you surprised? Saying 3 years means they left just after the NGE, so (stupid) people will read it and think "Oh hey, I left right after the NGE too, and this guy loves it now, maybe I should try it!" If someone says they left 2 years ago, that means they played the NGE for a year, which means they probably liked it then. If they say they left 4 years ago, that means they left before the NGE, didn't like the game before it, and now it fits there little target audience preferences perfectly. It's all about credibility to try and get as many old players back as possible.

i think more than anything, you're seeing an interest stirred up by SWTOR. Gamers got excited  about it an then realize its at least a year out so they picked up the next best thing: SWG. Since there are probably more vets that left after with the debut NGE then have started and left during the NGE, odds are they're a 3 year exile.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

So how is it NOW that the vet trials are over? Did everything go back to its dead state again?

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by efefia

I logged on a couple of times during the vet trial and honestly it's not even close to being desolate, it's hardly a buzzing hive of activity but at the same time it's not exactly dead. I play during EU peak hours and even I saw more players around than you did (Flurry is a West coast server, so the least EU timezone friendly)

The vet trial surely improved the population temporarily but it's still a hard to task to actually visually see more than 10 - 15 people on there, especially outside of Mos Eisley.

I'm sure it is better EU time, Flurry has always been a European server, that doesn't surprise me.

Tecmo Bowl.

Originally posted by efefia

The vet trial surely improved the population temporarily but it's still a hard to task to actually visually see more than 10 - 15 people on there, especially outside of Mos Eisley.

I'm sure it is better EU time, Flurry has always been a European server, that doesn't surprise me.

No, it's a west coast server and the population reflects that, trust me I know only too well (fucking 3 am base defence anyone?). The vet trial didn't bump it hardly at all imo, I had just as many people ingame on my friends list during the vet trial as I did before it. It's s shadow of it's former self in terms of active population but if you only saw 10-15 people it must have been a freak fluke or a strange time of day.

The vet trial was actually a huge failure, considering it was a full free month for every account cancelled more than 60 days beforehand, I can only recall seeing ONE vet online that hadn't already resubbed to checkit out.