Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AION graphics - not so special?

TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21408.html

This doesn't look any better than World of Warcraft to me.

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

the detail is better, but the graphics  fail at impressing me.

• MaccaUKMaccaUK Member UncommonPosts: 8

The characters look good and the distance shots look good, but I agree it doesn't look as good as I was expecting.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

Tenspotting is writing this as a satire (hopefully)of the many people who knock Darfall's graphics. He may also think that it is the Aion crowd that is trolling the Darkfall forums, which I find funny seeing as how both games seem to have little in common.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

http://i37.tinypic.com/35i0j2p.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/esqlc7.jpg

Then go and post WoW pics with similar graphic quality. Seriously, what's with the trolling lately?

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Darktroll in action.

Don't feed him anymore people.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• redrum666erredrum666er Member Posts: 168

ermmm, I think you might wanna go see an optometrist then.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

That video was from E3 2007, posted on 10 July 2007. Pleaseeee give me a brake. stop trolling TenSpotting.  Off Topic: its nice to see CBT's posting videos and making comments good and bad at there site. Gotta love a company that does not have a NDA.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

yea dude, you got it right. Wow looks better than  Far Cry, wich uses the same engine as Aion...

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by babac

yea dude, you got it right. Wow looks better than  Far Cry, wich uses the same engine as Aion...

Did you know that my mmo im making is using the Crytek2 engine? But it's going to be in the same style as Runescape in graphics?

Aion does not imperss me graphically, it looks like a revamp of L2 and has the same enviroment as wow, im sorry. But i won't give much faith in this game. Even if you say it's going be "no" grind (everygame has grind, so saying it won't is bullocks) and more western-style of a game. It will still be a korean game, isn't that right?

Edit, and oh, i didn't see the video, only the screenies someone posted

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

that video is from 2007.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Bakoryo

Did you know that my mmo im making is using the Crytek2 engine? But it's going to be in the same style as Runescape in graphics?

Aion does not imperss me graphically, it looks like a revamp of L2 and has the same enviroment as wow, im sorry. But i won't give much faith in this game. Even if you say it's going be "no" grind (everygame has grind, so saying it won't is bullocks) and more western-style of a game. It will still be a korean game, isn't that right?

Oh boy, amateur game developper? A true person belonging to the industry would never compose a post the way you have.

Good luck, you'll need to learn more to really be in the know. ;)

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• noll1ngtonnoll1ngton Member UncommonPosts: 32

when wil these people who compare EVEY mmo to WoW actually learn that there are 1000s of other mmos out there. (WoW also wasnt the first)

as comparing AIONs gfx to WoW it might have helped if you posted a newer video or screens seeing as they have done alot to the gfx sine that video.

plus i dont know what the big deal is oh wow a ame might be simular looking to another game what are you expecting REAL life graphics??

same as the people who moan about classes and races, theres only so much you can do with fantasy style games, of which some mmos are now turning towards the fantasy/scifi areas to try and change from what you people always compain about.

To OP have you actually played WoW and AION to compare?

personally i think AIONS gfx are alot better than almost any mmo i have played, and far better than WoWs. Infact theres alot of things in AION which are done alot better than any mmos out at the moment.

Originally posted by Bakoryo

Originally posted by babac

You came to this conclusion just by a few screenies . So tell me what kind of card was he using ? I have played both WOW and Aion and I beg to differ.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Does every game have these graphic whinners? Its easy to tell who the shallow gamers are.

I have said this once and Ill say it again if you want your HD graphics go play single player games. Hell Aion has graphics that are comparable to single player games. some people just boggle my mind.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• PezheadPezhead Member Posts: 149

Nah... stupidity is the better word.  The world is full of stupid people, after all, it takes all kinds to make one.  It's not his fault, he was jsut born with it.  Blame his parents.

It's almost 2010, and I am just not wiling to tolerate clunky graphics while being told that "gameplay is more important than graphics". That excuse won't wash with me any more. I expect my games to have both good graphics and good gameplay.
    -Quote Isoke(VN boards)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Uh, while I can buy that you like the art better in Wow, the graphics of Aion is by far better. Only bad thing I can say about it is that they didn't seem to have any bowstrings in the videos I seen, that isn't that impressive today.

Still, otherwise it looks really good. Wow wasn't bad at all 2004 but it is almost 2009 now and to be honest, I always though that the most good looking game of 2004 was Guilwars. It have happened a lot with the hardware in those years and while Blizzard made some minor uppgrades you can still see the difference easy.

But Blizzard sure know how to make art, that can no one take from them.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

In some way I agree that Aion's gfx aren't "OMGWTFPWN" compared to some new singleplayer games, but you have to use your brain and do some research on whys and hows. I'll elaborate...
    Today's singleplayer games (FPS) have very small maps and usually you don't have a big choice on where to move. Games like Oblivion (Fallout 3) have a giant world map, BUT texture details aren't THAT fantastic (when you come close to an object). Then we have the player amount factor. In a singleplayer game, there is only one player (or a few in some multiplayer enabled FPS). Aion will have MASSIVE RvR battles in Abyss and those that played RFO know what it really means and what kind of challenges it brings (lag, lag and more lag... all kind of lag even). Yes Aion has stripped gfx, but for a MMO game, they are THE BEST. Just something for you to think about. ;)

Cheers.

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347

I'm playing the Open Beta right now...lvl20 Asmodian or Elyoss or w.e the hell you guys call it in NA.  I'm the light skinned ones, assassin. 

Graphics has been an argument in korea too, but these have mainly spawned from WoW trolls who were comparing the graphics to LichKing vs. Aion. 

Simply put, with a mediocre computer you can run WoW in max options, with Aion that isn't even possible. 

On minimal and normal graphic options the game runs quite fine with today's standard of computers, although you shouldn't expect something of the likes of AoC with an uber computer.

On the otherhand, if you have a 9800+ or of similar radeon HD 4000+ the game looks totally different from mediocre screen shots from players wtih crappy computers. 

I assure you, with the right computer, the game looks nothing like WoW...and I really don't think there is any comparison. 

LichKing looks nice and all...but it's not Aion...

When LichKing and Aion are both run at full option with reliable computers, the two aren't even worth comparing. 

Most of this comparison rubbish in korea or even in NA is 99% of the time from WoW trolls and carebears.

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I am glad that you cleared things. It's as I expected really. The carebear comment was pointless though.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Oh for God sake, WoW is known for being a good game with alot of fun factors, it's a great game  but one thing its DEFINITELY not known for is having outstanding graphics, and the same goes for every game ever made by Blizzard. It's just not one of their trademarks, as it isn't Rockstars either.

I've played Aion beta on my friends PC, and in the graphics department, Aion wipes the floor  with WoW. There's no comparison, you can't even bring in the apples vs oranges argument, hell today's WoW graphics even suck for 2004 standard back when that game was released.

Anyways, like every gamer knows since the nes vs sega days, graphics aren't everything......but in this argument all I can say is gtfo

I am also playing aion obt on a E8400, 2GB's ram,8800gts and they are quite admazing. Granted the game play at the noob lvls are quite boring, like any other mmo (does not help that i cant read korean). but when you get around lvl19 and up its fun as hell. This game will be on my hard drive when it hits NA/EU.

• WinterfreshWinterfresh Member Posts: 73

The game is gorgeous undoubtedly, but anyone who doesn't follow this game's status with baited breath would be hard-pressed to identify it from other Asian MMOs.

I think the WoW comparison is interesting since most people do have "mediocre" computers as one poster puts it - and so it would be the game of choice for people looking to get into MMOs. After all, would you rather have a full relationship with a normal girl or one with a supermodel who'll occasionally let you cop a feel? Remember that they are exclusive, as most people who even play MMOs play just one.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

If you've got the cash and you've got the car, pretty sure you can get the super model. ;)

Upgrade your PC for those that can.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I don't think WoW is even comparable to AION in graphics.  Here is a breakdown of why:

Character Graphics-  AION is capable of characters that bear identifiable characteristics of a person.  Its not as limited as other mmos; those mmos with the same amount of customization end up making the detail too muddy to be identifiable. 

Scenic Graphics-  The background images of Aion look like Unicorn posters.  If thats not to your tastes doesn't mean it doesn't look good for what it is.

Environment Graphics- Compare the forest scenes to forests in WoW.  There is simply no comparison on which one looks better.  Its good to remember why AIONs graphics are such despite the fact they are working with normal maps.  Its 1 huge seamless world.  It would be tough to load all of it if every object had a full shader behind it.  Also AION has a huge team.  You have average and great artists; asian and american artists all working together.  So there will be things that do not match styles and things that are not up to the same quality.

• originaleggoriginalegg Member Posts: 1,099

Sorry everyone.

There was a mistake in security, and some rookie guard didn't lock down Tenspotting's zone and he escaped from the DF forums where we usually contain his trolling.  I apologize for any troubles he has caused the AION fans.