Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is max pop. of a server?

Something I've always wanted to know. What is the maximum capacity of a WoW realm?

Thanks.

Comments

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I don't think they've ever released it.    Probably 2000-2500 is what most games support.

• CerzaCerza Member Posts: 5

Yea, I also don't think Blizzard has ever let the public know that information. I think the servers cap depends on what its designated server type is though. High pop servers have a higher cap than medium and low pop servers, or something along those lines. At least that is the only conclusion I have been able to come up with that explains the ques on every server every night.

I don't think so

The server pop is just how full they are.  ALL servers have the same cap

Full  =   2500/2500

High = 2000/2500

Med =  1500/2500

There are just so many players coming back for wrath, that even servers that were medium before are up to 2500/2500 now.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by MagicMush

Something I've always wanted to know. What is the maximum capacity of a WoW realm?
    Thanks.

According to Blizzard there are approximately 2.5 million North American subscribers.  There are 229 North American servers give or take a few.  That would make the number of subscribers per server in North America a little over 10,000.  However the population is not evenly distributed and therefore the servers have to be able to handle well over 10,000.  I'd say the number is around 12,000 active subscribers.

• maacaaviityymaacaaviityy Member UncommonPosts: 127

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/eu_realmstats.php?sort=Total

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php?sort=Total

These are not 100% accurate, but they should give you an idea of it.

Originally posted by maacaaviityy

those are characters that have been seen on the server in the last 30 days.   That would include a ton of alts, and does not in any way indicate how many players can be on the server at the same time.

Originally posted by Azrile

I don't think so
    The server pop is just how full they are.  ALL servers have the same cap
    Full  =   2500/2500

High = 2000/2500

Med =  1500/2500
    There are just so many players coming back for wrath, that even servers that were medium before are up to 2500/2500 now.

This is correct other than the numbers he is showing which are just an example.  The actual numbers I believe are much higher than this.  Also, just because a realm shows as medium pop, that does not mean that the server is half full.  All the servers except a few low pop servers are pretty full, but the ones that are the closest to capacity will show as full, the ones with a little more room will show as high and so on.  The ones that show low just means that they have low pops compared to the other servers, it doesn't mean that the server is less than half full.  That's a mistake people make seeing servers that say low and thinking Blizzard should do a server merge on that server.  In reality they probably couldn't take 2 low pop servers and merge them into 1, it would be more than that 1 server could handle.

Originally posted by maacaaviityy

First off, like Azrile said above this is counting characters and not subscribers.

Secondly, it's only as accurate as the data that gets submitted to the site which is very spotty now.  To submit to the site, someone has to run the census add-on (which almost no one does anymore) that captures the data (it's a snapshot of the characters on the server at the time you take the census) and then submit that information to Warcraft realms (which is even fewer than the number of people that run the add-on).  On most servers the number of times the data gets uploaded to the server is less than once a day which simply isn't enough for it to be anywhere close to accurate.

My estimate that there are probably around 10 to 12 thousand subscribers is probably more accurate and that's based on nothing more than dividing the total number of North American subscribers by the number of North American servers.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Thanks.

According to Blizzard there are approximately 2.5 million North American subscribers.  There are 229 North American servers give or take a few.  That would make the number of subscribers per server in North America a little over 10,000.  However the population is not evenly distributed and therefore the servers have to be able to handle well over 10,000.  I'd say the number is around 12,000 active subscribers.

This isn't even close to correct. 

I remember hearing something around 4200 is the cap on a WoW server for concurrent users. 

People seem to forget that only around 15% of your server population is on at any 1 given time.  So the max population that a server can hold is a lot lower then your total subscribers for that particular server. 

(Totally irrelavent example to show my point.  I am considered 1 of that 2.5 million subscribers for the NA servers yet I will not log on until after Christmas.  I am in the process of moving so no time for another MMO game, since LOTRO is my main). 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Thanks.

that would be active accounts on the server bu in reality only 15 to 20% of the users are online on any specific server

Therefore around  max 2000 userws will be online at any given time unless its a major upgrade or content update o expansion release wherein you would have nearly 40 to 50% ryng to play at the same time

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Thanks.

I remember hearing something around 4200 is the cap on a WoW server for concurrent users. 

People seem to forget that only around 15% of your server population is on at any 1 given time.  So the max population that a server can hold is a lot lower then your total subscribers for that particular server. 

(Totally irrelavent example to show my point.  I am considered 1 of that 2.5 million subscribers for the NA servers yet I will not log on until after Christmas.  I am in the process of moving so no time for another MMO game, since LOTRO is my main). 

We are talking about 2 different things.  Sorry if I misunderstood the OP's question.  I was talking about total number of subscribers and you are talking about concurrent users.  They are 2 different things.  There's no way to know for sure what the concurrent user cap is unless Blizzard has stated and I've never seen Blizzard state what it is.  Where did you get this number?

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Thanks.

We are talking about 2 different things.  Sorry if I misunderstood the OP's question.  I was talking about total number of subscribers and you are talking about concurrent users.  They are 2 different things.  There's no way to know for sure what the concurrent user cap is unless Blizzard has stated and I've never seen Blizzard state what it is.  Where did you get this number?

I might be confused by I vaguely remember them mentioning it back when they were talking about how many people were in Molten Core and other raid content.  (Of course that was about 3 years ago or so but I think we would of heard something if their server technology had drastically changed since then). 

And I realize that you were talking about total subscribers per realm, but I think the OP was asking about total concurrent users per realm.  Generally the total concurrent is the only thing that really matters to a player, since that is what affects Queue Times. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Thanks.

I might be confused by I vaguely remember them mentioning it back when they were talking about how many people were in Molten Core and other raid content.  (Of course that was about 3 years ago or so but I think we would of heard something if their server technology had drastically changed since then). 

And I realize that you were talking about total subscribers per realm, but I think the OP was asking about total concurrent users per realm.  Generally the total concurrent is the only thing that really matters to a player, since that is what affects Queue Times. 

Actually there were some server upgrades done about the time that BC was launched that supposedly upped the caps and they just recently did some server stuff right before WoTLK, but I don't know if those were upgrades or just stuff to support the release and I don't know if the caps were increased.

I believe that concurrent user caps were decreased for the launch because of so many people being in the same place at the same time.  Once the population begins to spread out a bit, they will probably increase the concurrent user cap again.

• 883448883448 Member Posts: 12

otherwise i laggsss

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Keep in mind that WoW uses server splits. 1 realm is split in 4 different parts: kalimdor, eastern kingdoms, outland, northrend.

For example, if the outland server crashes, you can still play in northrend on that realm.

For concurrent users it doesn't make a difference if these servers are in the same server park, but they could be (and I don't know if they are) be split over multiple locations.

If that is the case then the max number of concurrent users is also split over the 4 different parts, making one realm capable of holding nearly 8000 concurent users.

Server que on high populated realms suggest that this is not the case however. Or the hardware is seriously outdated and each split can only hold 1000 users at maximum.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Just to get an idea, to get into Draenor (EU) atm there is a server queue of 1.5k, this is just people waiting to get into the server. Just going by this I would guess the total server population is way way higher than 2.5k players.