Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't anyone talk in MMO anymore.

124»

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Illius

I hate the whole Facebook, Myspace, and generally any networking site and I steer clear of all of them.  But when I get into a game it's different.  I end up chatting with someone for no other reason than to distract me from the grindy aspects of the game. 

Same. I don't understand the need for MySpace, Facebook..and twitler?..at all. But I love to chat with random people online to exchange idea's and to enrich my knowledge.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Waterlily

I hate the whole Facebook, Myspace, and generally any networking site and I steer clear of all of them.  But when I get into a game it's different.  I end up chatting with someone for no other reason than to distract me from the grindy aspects of the game. 

Same. I don't understand the need for MySpace, Facebook..and twitler?..at all. But I love to chat with random people online to exchange idea's and to enrich my knowledge.

Exactly.  It's kind of like these boards without the waiting time between posts and I have something else to do while I wait for responses.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• tightropetightrope Member Posts: 7

There are lots of busy peopler now mindin their own business.

• frankyclamfrankyclam Member Posts: 5

Gamers are focusing to make their characters strong and sometimes they just don't feel like to talk to others because they are busy reading their quest logs.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I guess everyone has a different experience in MMOs, for example you stated WoW, yet when I played WoW, the community (on my server) was great, very chatty.

O_o o_O

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

I have a lot of conversations, anywhere. Even in the 'isolated" Guild Wars, where there are way more conversations then in.. lotro for example. Anyway, what I miss however, are cobversations without people spamming caps. When I'm in a conversation, it's usually because I like the topic. Which ususually is something like WoW vs GW, religion, etc. And when I do have a good conversation with some people, we might not agree, but we don't start spamming. Untill somebody else starts spamming, in caps, 10x the same sentence...    The should be something like a chatroom, the usual IM, with multiple people. And when 2/3 of the participants thinks he's just irritating, or spamming, etc. they can kick him out.   That would get some conversations going, pretty sure of it.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• KelathosKelathos Member Posts: 73

Instances take the Massive out of MMO, there’s your answer.

Why should I talk to you when you’re not part of my private guild that runs their private raids/instances? You want to get strangers to talk to and rely on each other, then you put major and difficult content out in the open, not stashed away in private clubs.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Kelathos

Instances take the Massive out of MMO, there’s your answer.
    Why should I talk to you when you’re not part of my private guild that runs their private raids/instances? You want to get strangers to talk to and rely on each other, then you put major and difficult content out in the open, not stashed away in private clubs.

LOL  .. that is NOT what happened in non instance dungeons (when a game is popular). What happened is that 50 people wait in line to kill the boss, and all sort of bickering of who is where in the line ensures. Killing stealing, anti-social behavior is rampant.

Oh, and some do chat since there is NOTHING to do waiting in line. I will take killing monsters over chatting anyday. If i only want to chat, i goes to an IRC channel.

Thank GOD all the modern games move AWAY from the EQ farming model and use instancing.

Originally posted by frankyclam

Gamers are focusing to make their characters strong and sometimes they just don't feel like to talk to others because they are busy reading their quest logs.

Haha, nobody reads quest logs anymore, they just look at the map and it tells them where to go.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by scotczech

Lets face it, most MMORPG'S these days are very  easy to play.
    Groups are not needed, solo play rules, they are like single player games with some very odd NPC's.
    Even when you get a group they don't talk, its a sad situation.
    Game companies should have different rulesets on different servers, dont do like EQ2 did and remove any real DP for all, leave the odd server alone, but no they did a clean sweap,  easy mode for all.
    Why not give us the choice? you didn't so many /QUIT.
    Now we have easy, boring and in my opinion pointless games, the social aspect is gone.
    All that uber gear you got dont mean shit, and raiding is easy too, same shit just with more people.
    LFG now means "looking for a game"
    MMORPG'S are lifeless and boring, players are comatose. RIP

Truth

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by frankyclam

Haha, nobody reads quest logs anymore, they just look at the map and it tells them where to go.

More truth

Originally posted by nariusseldon 
    LOL  .. that is NOT what happened in non instance dungeons (when a game is popular). What happened is that 50 people wait in line to kill the boss, and all sort of bickering of who is where in the line ensures. Killing stealing, anti-social behavior is rampant.
    Oh, and some do chat since there is NOTHING to do waiting in line. I will take killing monsters over chatting anyday. If i only want to chat, i goes to an IRC channel.
    Thank GOD all the modern games move AWAY from the EQ farming model and use instancing.

I have to say in some of the other games I've played (not WoW) the people were mostly civil.  There was no "line jumping".  I think that's one thing that's missing from the newer games... civility.