Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash shop

Ok,

I am currently waiting on this game to be delivered to me, couldn't be bothered downloading it as my ISP would throttle back my speed,  I just have a question.

I know the game has a cash shop and i also know from what i have read that i do not need to buy anything from there to progress in the game,  but what are the prices like in the shop, for a mount for example.

Can anyone give any info?

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

When I was playing PW on the Malaysian EN servers, I did use the cash shop and spent an average of 4 dollars or so a month (a total of 12 bucks, I think in a 3 month time frame) on some items that I found to be very useful, BUT.....I had more than I needed, so, even though I played several months, I had left over ingame currency to spend, which is still sitting there for me, should I choose to go play on the Malaysian server again.

Unless you plan on buying a lot of decorative only armor (just for vanity, no stats or anything), even if you DO use the cash shop, it's VERY cheap.

The most useful things, to me, were the extra bank and inventory slots (WHICH YOU CAN GET FROM QUESTS, incidentally, so you don't HAVE to buy that, but it saves some time), the faster flying mounts (which I never actually purchased, because there's a quest for a flying mount too, and it's perfectly acceptable), and then there are these medallion type things that regen your mana and health that I found to be THE most useful, as they kept me from having to rest in "zen" between fights as much, so they made playing a bit QUICKER. :)

Hope that small amount of info helps you.

I'd say that if you do choose to use the cash shop, even getting everything you might want shouldn't cost more than 7 USD a month, if THAT much.  The game definitely doesn't require purchasing anything to be enjoyable.

EDIT:  I was a mage, so the "flying mount" was actually a flying sword...very cool.  There is a race, however, that has wings from the beginning of the game, so....when you roll your race and class, read everything, because some have some unique things like that.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

He is playing the English verson. The cash shop is WAY different on the INternational. Basically, you buy 20000 zen for 20 bucks and it translates like this: 1000 zen is 1 gold 1 gold is 100 copper. Average pricing: (note this will go down as they won't need the funing after it's all up-to-date) 15g for the BEST FLYING MOUNT. in addition upgrades are abour 1g 60 copper

• FeldazinFeldazin Member Posts: 36

to buy difrent wings and swords to fly on and what not, once im the required lvl can i buy frm the boutiqe or  however u spell it, with gold that i get frm quest and lvling? or do i have to buy zen to buy mounts and stuff?

.(....\............../....)
    . \....\........... /..../
    ...\....\........../..../
    ....\..../?¯.I.¯`\./
    ..../... I....I..(¯¯¯`\
    ...I.....I....I...¯¯.\...\
    ...I.....I?¯.I?¯.I..\...)
    ...\.....` ¯..¯ ?.......'
    ....\_________.·?

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

you have to buy ZEN. it;s an odd settup lol

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

If you make it past level 50 in this game, you are a gaming stud (or studess). Unless you just want the faster stuff, you could save money and just use the flying mount that every race gets, they all get a free (humans get a sword, beasts get a manta ray and elves just fly with wings from level 1). Your REAL cash shop dent playing PW is gonna be 1. Mana stone 2. HP stone  3. Extra Exp stone. The only exception is if you play a Werefox. Pick one of those and you won't have any money trouble at all.

Don't forget to save a lot of the cash shop for your exp items, or you won't be getting anywhere.

• styjahstyjah Member Posts: 5

Cash shop items can be purchased with in game currency (called coin in PWI).  Players who buy gold can opt to sell it in game through a gold trading system.  The price of 1 gold is about 105K currently on the PvE server, and at lvl 50, that's about an hour of playing.

There's no need to every purchase gold though.  All of the items are luxury items, or items to ease the deficiencies in your character (keep getting killed, buy a charm to auto-refill your HP, etc).  While that's nice, you can make potions via the apothacary skill that heal great amounts, and negate the need for charms. 

• PezheadPezhead Member Posts: 149

I agree, I never had to use the cash shop, no need to feed it.  I can imagine some purchasable items making it easier, but 90% of the cash shop items are RP items like fashion stuff, or different mounts/wings/swords.   And yeah, its a lot easier as a Werefox, although I didn't get past 19 on mine.   Oh, and make sure to alocate your stat points right, or you'll regret it later.

It's almost 2010, and I am just not wiling to tolerate clunky graphics while being told that "gameplay is more important than graphics". That excuse won't wash with me any more. I expect my games to have both good graphics and good gameplay.
    -Quote Isoke(VN boards)

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Pezhead

I agree, I never had to use the cash shop, no need to feed it.  I can imagine some purchasable items making it easier, but 90% of the cash shop items are RP items like fashion stuff, or different mounts/wings/swords.   And yeah, its a lot easier as a Werefox, although I didn't get past 19 on mine.   Oh, and make sure to alocate your stat points right, or you'll regret it later.

Thing is, it's mentioned that you can get the HP/MP charms via quests in-game, so you don't have to buy them... What I'm wondering is, are they one-time quests or are they repeatable?

If they're one-time, eventually you're going to run out.

My concern, playing on a PvP server, is that I'll find myself up against someone who has several hundred thousand HP at his disposal, and I won't because I hadn't finished the next quest to get  a HP charm or whatever... It's pretty obvious who's going to win that - unless there's some delay in how often the charm activates (other than 75% or 50% HP), that still makes it possible for them to die.

If you can still have a fighting chance against someone - even if they're using a HP charm and you're not - then I'm "okay" with it. Otherwise, it seems like that's the "trap" for PW that goes against their statement that there's no "gameplay critical items" in the shop.

Seems to me that buying booko HP pots that you have to manually spam is no match for someone who simply has to beat the crap out of you and a nifty charm does the refilling for him.

So this isn't me condemning or damning the game... more wondering out loud..

Can someone who's played for a while, particularly on a PvP server - and who isn't biased for or against the game (if possible :-p), clear that up? *Can* you be competitive without having to rely on cash shop HP/MP charms and such?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Thing is, it's mentioned that you can get the HP/MP charms via quests in-game, so you don't have to buy them... What I'm wondering is, are they one-time quests or are they repeatable?

One time quest. And you only get to choose between either (1) 250k HP charm OR (1) 250k Mana charm if I remember right.

Either way, definitely NOT repeatable, or they'd be shooting themselve right in the foot with free charms, instead of making people buy it in their cash shop. That quest is there just to whet your appetite and prime the pump.

*Now that I think about it, I think it was only a 10k charm, not a 250k one. I'm almost certain of that.*

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by popinjay

One time quest. And you only get to choose between either (1) 250k HP charm OR (1) 250k Mana charm if I remember right.

Either way, definitely NOT repeatable, or they'd be shooting themselve right in the foot with free charms, instead of making people buy it in their cash shop. That quest is there just to whet your appetite and prime the pump.

*Now that I think about it, I think it was only a 10k charm, not a 250k one. I'm almost certain of that.*

Yeah I've since earned that 10k HP charm... (damn leaping quest XD).

I used the one I got and, after the experience... I really don't like them.

Suddenly I'm practically invincible. So long as I'm not fighting anything that can kill me in under 5 seconds, I'm pretty much safe. I like knowing that if I'm not careful I can be quickly dropped; having to keep an eye on my HP and choosing my battles more carefully.

For MP pots... same thing. It eliminates the need to manage MP better and decide which skills to use, how frequently, etc. Friend of mine is playing a Winged Elf archer and when they had theirs going, they could just spam abilities non-stop and their meter never went below half.

Those are two things (of many) that I've always enjoyed in MMOs - or any games where HP/MP are implemented.

On the flip-side... knowing that in PvP, I'm going to be fighting someone with up to like 250k or more HP at his disposal? I don't remember the exact amounts, but they're in the 100s of thousands. Suddenly, there ability to survive isn't limited to what they've got in their HP bar, or what they might be able to use to delay being taken down. It seems like it would take all the thrill out of it to me.

I just seem to prefer a MMO with a monthly sub, where there's an even playing field (gold-buyers & cheaters notwithstanding). Everyone starts with the same empty slate and has the same means and resources available to them to play as well as they can. Then, it comes down to who uses those resources the most effectively and efficiently.

Anyway.. I'll keep playing PW until such a point that I find it's simply not feasible anymore without having to pull out the credit card to give my character a chance of success.

Edited for Update: After joining a guild and asking some questions to people who've been playing a while, the conclusion I've come to is that PW - at least in terms of PvP - is set up to do either of two things:

1. Promote ganking

2. Have you sinking absurd amounts of money into the cash shop

It promotes ganking because, as I stated earlier in this post, the only way someone can "beat your HP charm" is by being able to kill you quickly; faster than your HP charm's delay. As several people confirmed in the guild I was talking with, that leads to either being ganged up on by several people so they can kill you fast, or higher level players preying on much lower level players that they can kill really fast.

The penalty does little or nothing to really dissuade it... simply go find a safe spot to sit in and wait it out and the red goes away on its own. Or, find some mobs higher level in a remote area, have a friend or two help you kill them and get rid of it that way. Hardly enough of a discouragement from ganking people if you really want to. If you die, the friend can pick up what you drop and hand it back to you.

Lame.

The second one comes from the third alternative people mentioned... simply duking it out until one of the players' HP charms have run out. Then they're dead. So now you have to buy a new charm. More $$$. Just to be able to PvP.

Folks in the guild also said that most players get to level 80 and then spend the rest of their time preying on people level 50 or lower.

Again.. Lame.

If I want quick, cheap kills I'll just get level 15 or so and then hang out in the starting area killing level 2 mobs.

I think I'll be re-rolling on a PvE server.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by popinjay

Yeah I've since earned that 10k HP charm... (damn leaping quest XD).

I used the one I got and, after the experience... I really don't like them.

Suddenly I'm practically invincible. So long as I'm not fighting anything that can kill me in under 5 seconds, I'm pretty much safe. I like knowing that if I'm not careful I can be quickly dropped; having to keep an eye on my HP and choosing my battles more carefully.

For MP pots... same thing. It eliminates the need to manage MP better and decide which skills to use, how frequently, etc. Friend of mine is playing a Winged Elf archer and when they had theirs going, they could just spam abilities non-stop and their meter never went below half.

Those are two things (of many) that I've always enjoyed in MMOs - or any games where HP/MP are implemented.

On the flip-side... knowing that in PvP, I'm going to be fighting someone with up to like 250k or more HP at his disposal? I don't remember the exact amounts, but they're in the 100s of thousands. Suddenly, there ability to survive isn't limited to what they've got in their HP bar, or what they might be able to use to delay being taken down. It seems like it would take all the thrill out of it to me.

I just seem to prefer a MMO with a monthly sub, where there's an even playing field (gold-buyers & cheaters notwithstanding). Everyone starts with the same empty slate and has the same means and resources available to them to play as well as they can. Then, it comes down to who uses those resources the most effectively and efficiently.

Anyway.. I'll keep playing PW until such a point that I find it's simply not feasible anymore without having to pull out the credit card to give my character a chance of success.

Edited for Update: After joining a guild and asking some questions to people who've been playing a while, the conclusion I've come to is that PW - at least in terms of PvP - is set up to do either of two things:

1. Promote ganking

2. Have you sinking absurd amounts of money into the cash shop

It promotes ganking because, as I stated earlier in this post, the only way someone can "beat your HP charm" is by being able to kill you quickly; faster than your HP charm's delay. As several people confirmed in the guild I was talking with, that leads to either being ganged up on by several people so they can kill you fast, or higher level players preying on much lower level players that they can kill really fast.

The penalty does little or nothing to really dissuade it... simply go find a safe spot to sit in and wait it out and the red goes away on its own. Or, find some mobs higher level in a remote area, have a friend or two help you kill them and get rid of it that way. Hardly enough of a discouragement from ganking people if you really want to. If you die, the friend can pick up what you drop and hand it back to you.

Lame.

The second one comes from the third alternative people mentioned... simply duking it out until one of the players' HP charms have run out. Then they're dead. So now you have to buy a new charm. More $$$. Just to be able to PvP.

Folks in the guild also said that most players get to level 80 and then spend the rest of their time preying on people level 50 or lower.

Again.. Lame.

If I want quick, cheap kills I'll just get level 15 or so and then hang out in the starting area killing level 2 mobs.

I think I'll be re-rolling on a PvE server.

What server you play on Mike? I play on Heaven's Tear. My username is Mercy_Slayer. Charms are good though because I hear high level archers drop people incredibly fast, especially melee classes who can't take 5 steps before an archer drops them.

I think the Final Boss monsters have a chance of dropping charms too, but its something like a .000001109 chance like everything else in this slow paced game. I swear it seems like nothing has over a 10% drop rate which is really lame because I don't feel like killing 100 monsters just to get items for a quest unless they give a decent amount of experience which they DONT in this game. Just another scheme to get you to buy things from the cash shop or spend your ingame cash on items from players.