Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason why DCU will be sucssesful,

Comments

• critter505critter505 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Originally posted by tkreep

Im just gonna get this game because I want to play a new mmo on a console and I like DC universe.  Last time I played a mmo on console was FF11 but that game is old now.  If it sucks oh well I been there done that with many mmos already.  But I do hope its going to be good.  Its simplicity, faster combat and interactive environment is whats appealing to me and of course the powers and customization.

I have no interest in a superhero MMO, but even if I did, the number one reason I would skip this title is because it is a console port MMO. 

This is the exact thing that keeps pc game sales low, and why servers are shut down, pc elitists. What do you really care if they "port" this to a console or not, you already made up your mind on how you felt about the game before you played it. Look people, it's like this, the reason SoE shuts down servers is because there is not enough people paying to play those games, cross platform mmo's are gonna save the mmo genre. The more people who play, the more servers are dedicated, come on, it's common sense! I'm not trying to troll here, but when you say short sided things on an open forum, someone's gonna call you out on it. And by the way, the game was made from the ground up to fit both pc's and the PS3, do you even know what a port is?

• mz3r2tmz3r2t Member Posts: 31

As long as this game dosen't go the microtransactions road, then I'm getting it.

I was following Champions Online since it was supposed to be Marvel Universe..Once they announced microtransactions, that did it for me.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by mz3r2t

As long as this game dosen't go the microtransactions road, then I'm getting it.
    I was following Champions Online since it was supposed to be Marvel Universe..Once they announced microtransactions, that did it for me.

This is a soe game so it is going to have microtransactions.  I even watched a video where they talked about "selling power" some time ago which sounds scary similar to what cryptic is talking about.   Not only that, but it will most likely have some form of crazy loot card ranomania that soe is just drunk in love with.

Hopefully free realms and the agency (if they repeat the same business model) tank hard so developers get back to subscription based games that require good gameplay to attract customers and not a focus on how to remove content so it can be resold to the customer.

This is a soe game so it is going to have microtransactions.  I even watched a video where they talked about "selling power" some time ago which sounds scary similar to what cryptic is talking about.   Not only that, but it will most likely have some form of crazy loot card ranomania that soe is just drunk in love with.
    Hopefully free realms and the agency (if they repeat the same business model) tank hard so developers get back to subscription based games that require good gameplay to attract customers and not a focus on how to remove content so it can be resold to the customer.

Yah, I saw the station cash thing so I'm not going to hold my breath.

This whole movement to 2 subscription fees (monthly + RMT) is kind of getting me over the whole mmo thing.

As much as I'm not interested in WoW, Blizzard got it right by not requiring microtransactions to enjoy the full game.  They deserve to be at the top and games like these that require microtransactions deserve to crash and burn.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

DCU might be a huge success, mainly because it is the first MMO for consoles players.

Also Champions are really ugly while DCU have one of the best comic artists ever. And you can play evil.

Someone said it will fail since SOE is making it but truly, they are at least a lot better than Cryptic, SOE have at least made EQ which was a huge success. Cryptic only made CoX. EQ was amazing at it's time, CoX was avarage at best. So if I have to chose which developer I prefer between Cryptic and SOE it is a easy choice, SOE have at least made EQ and for that matter EQ2 which is rather fun.

The only thing that is in favour for Cryptic is the fact that SOE still have Smedley.

Yah, I saw the station cash thing so I'm not going to hold my breath.
    This whole movement to 2 subscription fees (monthly + RMT) is kind of getting me over the whole mmo thing.
    As much as I'm not interested in WoW, Blizzard got it right by not requiring microtransactions to enjoy the full game.  They deserve to be at the top and games like these that require microtransactions deserve to crash and burn.

Blizzard have considered it several times but backed down. And you might not have heard about it but Wow wasn't supposed to have monthly fees at all but was supposed to use the same model as Guildwars instead to get in the money, but after a few years in development Blizzard had a showdow and the guy in favour of monthly fees won. So far have the item shops fans in Blizzard lost but things might change ones Wow is starting to lose players...

So Blizzard might be better than SOE but they are no saints themselves, they earn a lot of money.

And it is worrying that RMT + monthly fees games are showing up, that could be the next huge trend. On the other hand, if Guildwars 2 becomes a huge hit it might mean the end of monthly fees forcing the companys to make expansions once or twice a year to get in cash.

It is really hard to predict the future and we might get games that lives on sponsors and adds instead of any fees or some other new idea instead.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by iller

OP's right about one thing... CoX will be dead soon enough

I wouldn't be too certain of that.   As a regular CoX player, and seeing what they have in store in their next free Issue, I've seen absolutely nothing in either of the two new games that would make me want to leave, not even a little, really.   

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

So far the ONLY reason why DCU will be better then CO.  You can play a villain.  As of right now champions is far better then DCU.  All though champions is about to be released and DC is a year + away from release.

Originally posted by Hunters14

For me it will be successful because DC is already popular. There are millions of DC fans out there who would love to try the game.

Same logic would go for Star Wars yet that didn't happen.

I agree it is a mistake to release champions without the option to play villians, unless cryptic releases that portion of the game prior to dcu's release.

The thing that really worries me about dcu is the designer turn over and the number of senior level positions that soe seems to always have listed on the career page.  It really sounds like they are having trouble keeping positions filled, especially at the high levels. 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Originally posted by Daffid011

The last I heard, Cryptic sold off the CoX franchise to NCSoft and are their own developer now.  Champions will be its own game and I'm sure Cryptic wants to take all the CoX players that they can.

As for DCU, the impression I get so far is that it plays like a coin-op arcade game closer to street fighter than an actual MMO.   Add in the 'velvet rope' approach and micro transactions to the game and I'm sure people will end up getting less content for a higher out of pocket cost than champions.

The arcade action/fighter look is what has me interested in the game. 

I didn't do much research on it, so I didn't even realize it was going to have micro-transactions.  I hope they don't take the same approach as Champions.  It might actually work out for Champions, but at this point I'm not a supported of both subscription + MT at the same time.  I'm interested in how it will turn out. 

• critter505critter505 Member Posts: 5

To me, it's very simple. If the game is a success, it is because it was a fun game. And if the game is fun, it will more than likely be a success. We should all at least give it a try, I mean it's not like you have to take out a second morgage just to play it. Relax, and enjoy...

• GrubarGrubar Member CommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Manchine

For me it will be successful because DC is already popular. There are millions of DC fans out there who would love to try the game.

Of course, same logic applies to Warcraft and look what happened to World of Warcraft. Rest is history.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

All Soe games now have Microtransactions as standard, DCUO will be no different.

Originally posted by Grubar

Of course, same logic applies to Warcraft and look what happened to World of Warcraft. Rest is history.

Warcraft wasn't popular.  It came out of no where!

• GrubarGrubar Member CommonPosts: 36

Wrong. Blizzard's Warcraft was damn popular, along with Starcraft. The whopping international fans of Warcraft swept into Blizzard's spanking new MMO, World of Warcraft, quite decisively and easily. Rest is Blizzard history.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

WHAT?! Warcraft 3 is still one of the most popular computer games of all time! 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Microtransactions & console gameplay = blah (imo of course)

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by charlespayne

Reason why DCU will be sucssesful is becouse alot think it is a way between DCU and champions, but the true secret is that DCU will pile on the players and COX will end up dead becouse champions will take all the players from it, i seen the gencoms vids for champions and basicly it is COX but with better graphics and no zones to keep you in a short area to roam, but DCU is completly diff like comparing dc to marval one is a natual born hero and one was created, so criptic has made a huge misstake by makeing a mmo that will basicly compete against it self, thay should have kept with marval online at least it would be worth battling against.

It wont be successful because alot of people (most of eastern and central europe at least) including me havent even heard or have a clue what DC or DCU is.

Heard of Marvel though but not sure if marval is the same thing from what you saying there...

Wrong. Blizzard's Warcraft was damn popular, along with Starcraft. The whopping international fans of Warcraft swept into Blizzard's spanking new MMO, World of Warcraft, quite decisively and easily. Rest is Blizzard history.

I think what machine was trying to say is that world of warcraft was successful beyond expectations from the moment it released.  Blizzard was overwhelmed by its sales and it took them a good deal of time to get more servers and release more copies.  I thought the comment was a bit off as you did, but nothing compares to the star wars IP as far as popularity.

I bet I could walk up to most anyone on the street and ask them who darth vadar is and get some sort of answer from them and maybe even be able to tell who did the voice acting.  Asking them who thrall is would get nothing but blank stares.

Originally posted by Daffid011

I think what machine was trying to say is that world of warcraft was successful beyond expectations from the moment it released.  Blizzard was overwhelmed by its sales and it took them a good deal of time to get more servers and release more copies.  I thought the comment was a bit off as you did, but nothing compares to the star wars IP as far as popularity.

I bet I could walk up to most anyone on the street and ask them who darth vadar is and get some sort of answer from them and maybe even be able to tell who did the voice acting.  Asking them who thrall is would get nothing but blank stares.

The first year of World of Warcaft ONLINE sucked big time.  A lot of people don't realise that.  I mean it wasn't Anarchy Online bad but it had some MAJOR problems. 

Having lots of fans isn't an instant win.  It does help out yes but having good game play is a must.  Its the same as having good actors and a bad movie.

For me, it comes down to either Champions Online or DC Universe and who has the most tolerable mt's.

DC Universe looks better to me, but if Champion's mt's are more subtle, then I"m going for that.

I thought mt's were supposed to be for free to play games. Free to play, expensive to enjoy...

• TatsuOyamaTatsuOyama Member UncommonPosts: 33

For me, it comes down to either Champions Online or DC Universe and who has the most tolerable mt's.
    DC Universe looks better to me, but if Champion's mt's are more subtle, then I"m going for that.
    I thought mt's were supposed to be for free to play games. Free to play, expensive to enjoy...

Same for me, buddy. It is like ALL the games are MT based now. Even CoX is MT to some degree now days with its' expansions+content update model. Sad, but it is odd that way. So far ChampO has a light model they are talking about. Nothing world shattering, but time will tell. DCUO may be offering whole powersets as MT exclusive content and that is painful. You know you are going to want to play those powersets too. Ouch. If both go that route I will be really unhappy. I'd rather buy expansions. Stuff I can pass on and not feel ripped off.

This thread is full of really interesting stuff. I learned a lot actually.

-Tatsu Oyama

Originally posted by lazyredhead

reasons why DCU will fail:
    the developer is SOE

They did good with EQ and past failures doesn't mean that a new game will fail.

Do you know how many crap games Blizzard did before they hit the jackpot with Warcraft 2 and Diablo?

Except the stupid RMT I think SOE have turned EQ2 from an avarage boring MMO into a great game.

DCU is very different from any MMOs we know today, it have more in common with GTA then Wow in many ways. If it can get the PS3 kids into playing it SOE will make a lot of money.

It might fail badly also but it looks a lot better than CO and have Jim Lee doing the art. I think it have a lot bigger chanse than CO who just is an upgraded version of City of heroes.

• virrevirre Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Loke666

Do you know how many crap games Blizzard did before they hit the jackpot with Warcraft 2 and Diablo?

Not many I would say or do you mean games like Lost vikings 1 and 2?, Rock and roll racing?, blackthorne? and warcraft 1? Those "crap" games? Or do you mean some other games? Even if you count their superman and justice league task force games that still only makes em 2 by my count, and they are not crap games by the standards at the time they where released at. Please enlighten me what crap games they made I am curious.