Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

server question!

hi people.....just wanted to know if this game is gunna have  one large server same as eve online or would it have lots of them?.....if there is gunna be many servers .... how many people/population would it hold?

many thanks.....

Comments

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

It will be sharded; how and with what rulesets has yet to be determined. Current estimations for population are 3K (or 3-5K, depending on which source you look at) online players per shard (though more than that as registered accounts per shard, naturally).

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

So long as they don't use the one size fits all approach that Eve uses they will succeed, provide a hardcore PvP server for those who want it and a carebear PvE server for those that don't. Just don't play the safe zone crap that other games have used to try and mix the two styles, it just doesn't work.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Most of my Squad mates are in Europe.  Is there going to be a US and an EU game?  I was able to play with them on JGC.  I hope I will be able to play with then when JGE comes out.

• schawoschawo Member Posts: 135

afaik all servers will have the same rules

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

Well from my perspective there will be differences but since we're dealing with personal opinions each have a certain amount of validity. Pure PvP offerings won't draw the numbers that these gaming companies want to make a solid bottom line so they will have to offer varying flavors to attract subscribers. PvE players may play for a while on a PvP server but will eventually let their subscriptions lapse, this is a well proven fact, so PvE servers are an absolute must if you want to cater to the entire spectrum of players and not just one segment of it.

Safe zones as in Eve just don't cut it since you alienate PvE players and force them into a second class status by denying them access to Rare NPC's, Rare Loot and Rich material locations which are all located in unrestricted PvP zones. Now I'm going to use a game as an example that many people like to bash repeatedly but they understand the gaming community and are doing exceedingly well. WoW offers multiple server types with the same rules set on each with one little difference, on some you can kick another players butt and on others you can't and its a simple solution.

Even on the PvP servers in WoW you can't simply run rampant as your heart desires, eventually you can but not everywhere. On the PvE servers you can only do so if you make the choice yourself and flag appropriately, now I know some are going to complain that where is the reality in that? This may come as a shock but this is a game we're talking about. Its a place where people come to, to be entertained not reminded that their fellow man is a complete prick. Now for some they thrive in that kind of enviroment but for others we are faced with that reality on a daily basis and come to the online enviroment to escape from it. That little fact is something that gaming companies are keenly aware of and which dictates the need to keep the two styles separate from each other hence PvE servers and PvP servers. Neither style more nor less valid than the other but not able to occupy the same space at the same time.