Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are mages still the most powerful?

z8195az8195a Member UncommonPosts: 17

I haven't kept up to date on the Beta test, but I remembere that a couple months ago everyone was saying that mages were far more powerful than any other class (i.e. invisibility anywhere, able to solo the toughest mobs, etc.).  Is that still the case or have they been nerfed?  Btw, I'm only interested on how good mages are in PvM since I won't be doing any PvP.

I got into the stress beta test and would like to know what the status of the mage class is these days.

Comments

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Mages are most powerful in damage dealing yes. But defense wise nope.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • Weapon-XWeapon-X Member Posts: 70

I beg to differ.  Maybe Malk can cast the deciding vote, but I personally think that Rogues are currently the undisputed kings of DPS.  Mages aren't even close, as of this writing.

Mages have a lot going for them, and I myself will play a Mage in Retail, but as far as sheer DPS, Rogues are currently untouchable, IMHO.

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    I was reading the WoW fourms and many many people are saying that priests are the strongest, in PvP everyone attacks the priests firstimage They say it takes about 2-3 people to take the a good priest.

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

With the loss of Invis, mages are no longer the perfect tool for PvP. Now, like other classes, you have to work for those one-shot kills. (not sure one-shot-kills are even possible, now)

Mages are good. The have decent DPS, awesome range attacks and okay defense. They solo pretty well, over all.

Priests are primary targets in PvP because they are healers. They have major heal spells and rejen spells, both for self and target. If you kill the healer first, then the others fall quickly. Priests have pretty good defensive abilities to protect them. They have some nice DPS...

Rogues and Warriors. I'm not sure, but warriors do alot a DPS while having alot of AC to back it up... but roques seem to put the mobs down faster.. a rogue and a warrior are awesome in a group. But I'm really not up on these two classes.

Skirnir, Dwarven Mage, PvE server
    ----------------------------------------
    Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• Weapon-XWeapon-X Member Posts: 70
    I'm pretty sure that a Rogue using the Sap/4xFeint/Cold Blood/Eviserate combo can still get pretty much the equivalent of a one-hit kill.  Of course, my money is on Blizzard nerfing Feint so that it breaks Sap.

• ZimokZimok Member Posts: 266

I would never play a mage, but only because I PvP.

Im a rogue and I can slaughter any mage easily. Kick + free action potion + gouge = they cant touch me. (Literally, they can't even cast a spell)

Rogue isn't necessarily the best DPS, but I just couldn't play a mage.

---------------------------------
    Zimok - WoW - PvP Server
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

Originally posted by Weapon-X
    I'm pretty sure that a Rogue using the Sap/4xFeint/Cold Blood/Eviserate combo can still get pretty much the equivalent of a one-hit kill.  Of course, my money is on Blizzard nerfing Feint so that it breaks Sap.

This only works if your a high level, which would be really rare to find a high level just standing around alone.

1 guy got a powerfull crit and everyone thinks its normal.

Zimok - WoW - PvP Server
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

• Magneto2000Magneto2000 Member Posts: 7
    what about warlocksimage i thought they are suppose to be the offensive caster suppose stronger than mage( not sure).

Right now warlock is probably the worst class. (I have played every class)

But they will be getting some love soon.

Zimok - WoW - PvP Server
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by Magneto2000
    what about warlocks i thought they are suppose to be the offensive caster suppose stronger than mage( not sure).

Mages are the offensive casters in WoW and Warlocks are ... Damage Over Time masters (not sure what you call that). Warlocks only have (I think) one direct damage spell, but they have 4 or 5 damage over time spells/curses. Yes they can do massive damage, plus they have their pet out their adding to it, however, this is not fast damage.

Currently, Blizzard has not giving Warlocks any lovin. They need some serious attention and tuning. They are playable, now, but the community doesn't feel they stack up fairly against the other classes. Talents are not in place, yet for Warlocks and no ETA has been mentioned on when they may expect to try them out...

Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.