Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anarchy I love you how you are, and you dont have to change

natedunnatedun Member Posts: 40

I been playin AO for years and i love the community and the gfx dont bother me at all. Yes i have tried other games and i know how high end gfx look and i have learnt gfx do NOT make the game.

All you people saying update the gfx so i will come back or people will play it. I like it the way it is i have a nice family aka org and we have fun. Monsters arent over crounded like they used to be. IMO i rather you guys that dont like AO because of gfx not play AO. If all you base what you play on is gfx then you shouldnt be playing games.

Well Sorry about that i had to say it after reading 5 topics in this about people cryin about gfx. So please flame me i dont have anything else to do but read and respond. And you that agree with me please reply

Comments

• piithpiith Member Posts: 95

I think the problem with the graphics is it is old, and the newer cards are having difficulty playing on a old DX version.

Personally the graphics is fine for me in AO. and true the graphics has lil effect on me if I like a game or not.

It is the Community  or game mechanics that  effects how I like the game, and if I continue to play it

• natedunnatedun Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by piith

I think the problem with the graphics is it is old, and the newer cards are having difficulty playing on a old DX version.

Personally the graphics is fine for me in AO. and true the graphics has lil effect on me if I like a game or not.
    It is the Community  or game mechanics that  effects how I like the game, and if I continue to play it

Yes see i 100% agree with you. You like the game for the game its not purely about the gfx like some people these days. But as you said it woudl be a + and would help newer vid card people play it. I agree it would be a + but if that update comes or not doesnt decide if i like the game i like it no matter what.

Its just the people who say the game sucks because of the gfx that really gets under my skin. Thank you for showing me what a anarchy sub should be

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

I doubt the graphics upgrade will change very much with subscriptions.  Mail system, Auction house, chat system, thousands of useless objects, over-equiping, group-centric, quest system etc etc.  Hopefully they will be able to keep enough people playing to stay online, but don't expect any serious numbers.  The whole system is just too out dated.

The only thing that could get numbers up would be to find enough revenue from advertising and micro payments to go completely free.  I was hoping that Age of Conan revenues would permit to take a chance and try to turn AO into a complete free to play game, but with what they owe on AOC and the lower than expected revenues, hat now seems doubtful....

Originally posted by Red_Rider

I doubt the graphics upgrade will change very much with subscriptions.  Mail system, Auction house, chat system, thousands of useless objects, over-equiping, group-centric, quest system etc etc.  Hopefully they will be able to keep enough people playing to stay online, but don't expect any serious numbers.  The whole system is just too out dated.
      The only thing that could get numbers up would be to find enough revenue from advertising and micro payments to go completely free.  I was hoping that Age of Conan revenues would permit to take a chance and try to turn AO into a complete free to play game, but with what they owe on AOC and the lower than expected revenues, hat now seems doubtful....

Ya maybe if they do something crazy AO can save them lol dont see that happeing but would be good to see. Anyways doubt it goes fully free ever already has ads hosted for the froobs now tho.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I can tell you why so many want better graphics.It is because most of the games are all EXACTLY the same.The ONLY thing that is different is the looks/graphics.Yes the games each do there little thing a little differently but it is still you going out to kill someone or something and equipping your ship or yourself.There really is nothing more to the games than that.You can craft,but it is to equip yourself or make money for the game so you can buy things to ,guess what? party in groups and kill stuff.Even when you go out to harvest ,you very well could run into an encounter and be fighting again.I doubt there is one single game that does not revolve around killing other players or npc mobs.

So now that i established that,it brings out the arguments for subtle differences.Things like textures and graphics/meshes/models can add realism and a nice look to a game/eye candy.It for sure can't hurt the game.Things like a real nice combat system that goes beyond button mashing and killing 15 mobs in 1 minute.Things like having a VERY large database for things like crafting and weapons and armour.That way players have a lot of diversity.

You see i can't help but wonder what exactly people are talking about when they keep saying it's about the game and not the graphics?As i said the games are all about the same.tanks/DD/healers/thiefs/crafting/exploring/questing/weapons/armour/mounts/ships.The games all have the same stuff within there genre,there is no magical game anywhere.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I can tell you why so many want better graphics.It is because most of the games are all EXACTLY the same.The ONLY thing that is different is the looks/graphics.Yes the games each do there little thing a little differently but it is still you going out to kill someone or something and equipping your ship or yourself.There really is nothing more to the games than that.You can craft,but it is to equip yourself or make money for the game so you can buy things to ,guess what? party in groups and kill stuff.Even when you go out to harvest ,you very well could run into an encounter and be fighting again.I doubt there is one single game that does not revolve around killing other players or npc mobs.
    So now that i established that,it brings out the arguments for subtle differences.Things like textures and graphics/meshes/models can add realism and a nice look to a game/eye candy.It for sure can't hurt the game.Things like a real nice combat system that goes beyond button mashing and killing 15 mobs in 1 minute.Things like having a VERY large database for things like crafting and weapons and armour.That way players have a lot of diversity.
    You see i can't help but wonder what exactly people are talking about when they keep saying it's about the game and not the graphics?As i said the games are all about the same.tanks/DD/healers/thiefs/crafting/exploring/questing/weapons/armour/mounts/ships.The games all have the same stuff within there genre,there is no magical game anywhere.

yes i see your point but theres a number of different variables that make a game better then the rest. A example would be would you rather kill things all day and lvl up with a bunch of mature helpful friendly people.? Or would you rather lvl up all day with a bunch of 8-12 year old kids that call you names and drive you crazy " OMFG NARUTO IS SOOO GREAT ... ROXOR FOR MY BOXOR.."  see my point that would come into play as a community. And in this case i feel AO has a great one compared to other games.

Thats just 1 of many reasons to pick 1 game over another game its not that they are so different its the fact that maybe game A has better features over game B

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

They are bringing the engine up to using DX9 "calls" and they are doing this to deal with some of the performance issues the game has had for years.

This is why quite a few things aren't changing at all.. they had a FAQ which explained this really well once upon a time.

of course a side benefit is that the engine would be able to take advantage of many of the "newer" features DX9 has... as opposed to the very old version it was built around.  Which is why it looks "better".

As opposed to an entirely new/different graphics engine. 

So you should think of this more of a performance change... with a side benefit.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by natedun
     All you people saying update the gfx so i will come back or people will play it. I like it the way it is i have a nice family aka org and we have fun. Monsters arent over crounded like they used to be. IMO i rather you guys that dont like AO because of gfx not play AO. If all you base what you play on is gfx then you shouldnt be playing games.

Basing the games you play purely on graphics and thinking graphics matter aren't the same thing. If I'm going to spend hours a day in a world I want it to look okay. And I suspect they're not updating the graphics to attract you. AO could still attract new players due to the lack of similar games, but the graphics currently are a barrier.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by natedun

Originally posted by Wizardry

yes i see your point but theres a number of different variables that make a game better then the rest. A example would be would you rather kill things all day and lvl up with a bunch of mature helpful friendly people.? Or would you rather lvl up all day with a bunch of 8-12 year old kids that call you names and drive you crazy " OMFG NARUTO IS SOOO GREAT ... ROXOR FOR MY BOXOR.."  see my point that would come into play as a community. And in this case i feel AO has a great one compared to other games.

Thats just 1 of many reasons to pick 1 game over another game its not that they are so different its the fact that maybe game A has better features over game B

That is without a doubt,i have in the past literally walked away from a party with no response if i don't like there attitude.When i was a noob to gaming online i really did not think a community meant anything and scoffed at the idea...boy was i wrong.

My first two minutes in WOW i watched a bunch of immature idiots form a train line in a circle yelling CHOO CHOO all day for a week.You would think in a brand new game players would be out exploring or leveling,anything other than acting like idiots.

When i log into a game it is to relax,be it for 15 minutes or 3 hours,i also do not want to block chat,in case something informative or intelligent comes along.People always like to say"well if the chat bothers you just shut it off".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

so you guys are trying to say the old graphics keep only mature players playing and kids out?

I'm sorry but thats bull, the complex features of AO will keep the children at bay.

Even with a graphics update this game will  be comparable to SWG graphics so I don't see kids playing it.

you may love the way AO is but the graphics are really holding this wonderful game back. Even mature gamers like nice graphics that immerse them into a game world.

Edit: don't get me wrong I love AO the game is really good, its just the graphics are keeping new players away and for me if a game doesnt have a healthy influx of players its stale and not worth playing.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

While I agree that the graphics aren't the "make or break" part of a game for me, the quirky look of AO has always been part of its umm... "charm" I guess you could say.

I'm glad they're doing an upgrade, personally - primarily for the performance boost it'll bring by taking the graphics rendering off the CPU and putting it on the video card.

And of course, the enhanced rendering, reflective water and improved shadows and such can't hurt.

Improved graphics won't make the game better... If someone couldn't get into the gameplay before, I don't think a new rendering engine is going to change their mind. It's still AO. However, the nicer graphics don't hurt either.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by Red_Rider

AO has always been a solid mmo esp for sub numbers, tho not being high theres been a loyal following for years, i think last sub numbers were about 12k and honestly i havent seen any drop in pop during all those years, with the froobs playing the servers are well crowded, well at least RK2 is :)

btw what do you mean with 'thousands of useless objects'?

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• WolfkroneWolfkrone Member Posts: 116

Immersion is of major importance to me, so it's very important that the game looks good... or at least semi-modern. I hope that by the time I have the time to play Anarchy again that they have updated the graphics, after all, with the music, large open world and class system that the game contains it would be a damn shame for the game to keep it's current 2001-era graphics.

Even the eyesore World of Warcraft updates it's graphics, not so drastically however.

Tried: WoW
    Played: EQ, EQII, AO, SWG, NGE-SWG, LoTRO, WAR, Vanguard, Eve, WWIIOL, Guild Wars, Darkfall, AoC.
    Playing: DAoC.
    Waiting For: SW:TOR.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by WSIMike

While I agree that the graphics aren't the "make or break" part of a game for me, the quirky look of AO has always been part of its umm... "charm" I guess you could say.
    I'm glad they're doing an upgrade, personally - primarily for the performance boost it'll bring by taking the graphics rendering off the CPU and putting it on the video card.
    And of course, the enhanced rendering, reflective water and improved shadows and such can't hurt.
    Improved graphics won't make the game better... If someone couldn't get into the gameplay before, I don't think a new rendering engine is going to change their mind. It's still AO. However, the nicer graphics don't hurt either.