Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reclamation: Reclamation Tuesday

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Lyra Studios has give us another "Reclamation Tuesday" update this week.  Here are the highlights:

• The fourth and final part of the "Power Struggle" story is up.  Read it here.
  • A new contest has been announced, fans should look out for the Beta Fairy in the Community Forums.
  • There is a new addition to the gameplay section about factions.  You can read that here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• Lyra-StoneLyra-Stone Lyra Studios DevMember Posts: 31

Hey MMORPG.com community!  Just dropping in to see what you guys think about Reclamation so far, and specifically about this Tuesday's update.

I'll check back to see your questions/comments/suggestions.

Happy gaming

Lyra-Stone
    Lyra Studios, LLC
    http://reclamationgame.com
    http://underlight.com

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Thanks for stopping by Lyra-stone.

The tuesday updates so far and been well, boring. I'm sure it will change as time goes on, but I only have so much melon space. I prefer to use it on things in my everyday life like calculus and nuclear chemistry, rather than game lore. Witch I seldom to never read, really I could care where the humda-of-whatever came from and why, it only matter it's better than the +2 fire sword I already have.

But since your here, tell us more about:

Pay-as-you-play monster races. 

What does this mean?

Player vs. player combat system that discourages random grief killing while ensuring that legitimate scenarios for player vs. player combat are an integral part of the game. 

I always love to hear about news way to implement PvP as a integral part of the game.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Well, first of all, pay as you player monster races.

These are a powerful nightmare avatar designed only for destruction.  Communication while playing one is limited to preset phrases and emotes because they are not meant to be a replacement for your normal dreamer character.  The cost is on a 15 minute period basis, with price going up for stronger starting creatures.

You can start small, too, and work your way up by defeating players and gaining experience.  Once you are defeated by someone you'll respawn back in the Dark Awakening (starting point for the playable nightmares) and be able to return to battle as often as you like until your timer (which you can set) expires.

They allow you to take a break and just do some mindless killing every once in awhile without worrying about consequences.

As far as our PvP system, our highly social atmosphere helps to limit the amount of grief killing that can take place.  Someone who becomes known for griefing will find it extremely difficult to advance as all quests come from human players, not NPC's.  It's very easy to get sucked into roleplaying your character in this type of atmosphere, because everyone else is doing it, and your character will quickly be picked out if he doesn't do much more than try to kill other players randomly.  Excessive random player killing will likely end in cheat reports being filed and a GM intervening.

As far as PvP being an integral part of the game, it is as long as to get there there was real interaction leading up to it.  Two characters can agree to have a duel and fight, no harm there.  Two characters can be having an argument about something and eventually come to blows, perfectly legit.  Combat is often one of the paths roleplaying leads to, especially in a game such as ours that is based on interaction.

Not only will everyday reasons provide the opportunity to dust off your sword, so will the backstory.  Two major beliefs reign in the city of dreams, and they are directly conflicting.  Many battles will take place because two or more dreamers disagree on these beliefs.  Guilds will most certainly have wars based around these, and probably from minor disputes too.

For Reclamation, we feel that if we were to remove or restrict PvP too greatly, it would take away from the 'reality' of the game world.  It would limit roleplaying potential even moreso than random griefers will.

That answer you, Clev?

Lyra-Stone
    Lyra Studios, LLC

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Why not add detailed information like this to your website rather than the generic text nearly every MMORPG site has?

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

So far it hasn't been on the schedule to go up, but thank you for sparking some ideas and helping me formulate my thoughts on it.

The first step was an attempt at getting unfamiliar players a glimpse of how our type of game would be.  One of the most important, if not the most important, aspects of our title is the roleplaying.  I don't want to jump too quickly into talking about PvP before we've really solidified the point that everything leads back to roleplaying and interaction.  PvP is one of those interactions, and its one with a lot of controversy in this genre, so it's safe to say that we'd rather people formulate an opinion on our game as we inform them that its core is roleplaying and talk about the rest of the mechanics. 

It seems like we'll get a lot of chances to talk about skull crushing soon enough.  And I'm always happy to talk about pvp, I happen to enjoy it.

Lyra-Stone
    Lyra Studios, LLC