Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2x2GB or 4x1GB RAM?

jamesd129jamesd129 Member Posts: 93

I'm just wondering what the effect of dividing RAM is. Does it add decision overhead making it access slower, does the smaller address space make finding it faster, or does multiple sticks allow concurrent access making it faster?

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If your Motherboard can support 2GB per dimm, then its always better to get 2GB modules.

Here are some problems with higher capacity ram.  1st is that the space electrical signals pass through is much larger so thier is the risk of errors.  However, this is corrected with ECC ram which is now pretty standard.  2nd is that higher capacity rams is usually more expensive then lower capacity since the yield has to be better.

You will get simultaneous load and unload of ram.  However, with the speed of most ram now it really isn't much a factor as the bottle-necks on data transmission comes from the HDD and FSB more then the ram.

• jaysinsjaysins Member UncommonPosts: 107

I would go with the most cost effective choice. If you overclock it could hinder it a bit as if one stick won't go as high you can only go as high as your lowest denominator but if I was in your position, and I do overclock, get what ever is cheapest.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

2x2 ftw

4x1 is trash.

Its about latency and the 4gb stick is gonna be slow and hard to oc (if you every want to).

Currently NO reason not to go 2x2.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

If he already has 2x1 gb than I'd say go with 4x1 as it'll save money. Though you can pick up 2x2 for under $50 before rebates for 800mhz DDR2 and cheaper after rebates. Latency won't really be tangible in anything but benchmarks. We're talking maybe 1 fps in games which seems high.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

2x2 ftw
    4x1 is trash.
    Its about latency and the 4gb stick is gonna be slow and hard to oc (if you every want to).

Agreed, I've had problems with 4 slots in the past.  It's a very touchy thing to have more than 2 slots sometimes and found a greater chance of disagreement errors between sticks or even one stick not being recognized with 4.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by saint4God

2x2 ftw
    4x1 is trash.

Agreed, I've had problems with 4 slots in the past.  It's a very touchy thing to have more than 2 slots sometimes and found a greater chance of disagreement errors between sticks or even one stick not being recognized with 4.

Four slots would be *x4. I am saying 4x1 is junk  (one stick of 4 gb).

Four slots is fine ... GOOD. most issues with ram are one: your mebo sucks try flashing the bios to newest (a while back ram issues where awful; this is why mebos have approved ram  WHICH TO THIS DATE I HAVE NEVER LISTEND TO) . With ddr2 these days at least there are almost no issues with ram other than the second issue: you got bad ram and need to contact the seller / manufactor. 2x4 (four sticks of 2 gb is fine, if OC'ing you have to often use a tad more volts other than that sometimes one steop down on the casl)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Four slots would be *x4. I am saying 4x1 is junk  (one stick of 4 gb).
    Four slots is fine ... GOOD. most issues with ram are one: your mebo sucks try flashing the bios to newest (a while back ram issues where awful; this is why mebos have approved ram  WHICH TO THIS DATE I HAVE NEVER LISTEND TO) . With ddr2 these days at least there are almost no issues with ram other than the second issue: you got bad ram and need to contact the seller / manufactor. 2x4 (four sticks of 2 gb is fine, if OC'ing you have to often use a tad more volts other than that sometimes one steop down on the casl)

Oops, sorry I had it backwards.  I hadn't had any issues with single-stick as long as the motherboard specs could handle the amount.  Interesting how we have had opposite experiences, but could be luck of the draw.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You must get 2*2, otherwise it will slow your FSB down and effectivly make your computer run at a very low speed.

It uses both the memorys at the same time, therefor the computer goes faster. If you have only one it can't do that and everytime you send something to the ram it doubles the time. Mind you, the memory sticks needs to be identical on the same channel (yes you can have 2 different kinds if you have 4 slots but try to get the same speed on them anyways).

Also, remember if you run XP that it only takes 4 Gb including the GFX memory.

This is good: 2*2GB + 2* 0,5GB. 4*1GB, 2*2GB.

Not good: 4*1GB, 1*2Gb + 1*1GB.

Originally posted by Loke666

Also, remember if you run XP that it only takes 4 Gb including the GFX memory.
    This is good: 2*2GB + 2* 0,5GB. 4*1GB, 2*2GB.
    Not good: 4*1GB, 1*2Gb + 1*1GB.

Eghads!  I'm glad you mentioned this.  I haven't upgraded mem yet but it's good to know this ceiling is there.

""Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB." - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx 

While it supports 4 gbs it doesn't register the entire amount. Usually it seems to be 3.5 to 3.25. Get a 64 bit OS if you need more.

• i'd go for 2 x 2GB sticks compared to one 4gb stick.. my reason is that one stick has slower performance during overclocking compared to two sticks.. and if it gets burned, you have to replace the whole 4gb stick! unlike in 2 x 2GB's, if one gets disfunctional, you still have the other one to save you from spending

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274

currently i'm using 4x2GB RAM and it is better than my last p.c. where i put 4x1GB RAM. so i suggest that you use the 2x2GB RAM. just an opinion. peace!