Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

server merger

XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

Ok, i know someone is going to disagree with me..  and thats your wright..

But... i still like to play CoH/CoV and i play on 3 servers.. I started on pinnacle with heros in issue 2. then left for justice when villains launched. then a year or so after villains went live i jumped ship to freedom...

The main reason i jumped servers was to find more people to play with.. the games still fun when new content comes out, but the lack of people to play with on any server other then Freedom or Vitrue sucks...

The games not getting any younger after 4+ years..  and i dont see it getting a influx of new subs anytime soon.. so to maintain status i would like to to see half the servers merge into one another.. take the less the lease active and merge it with the most active.. and so on.

So what ya think?

BTW Feel free to crack of spelling or the way i word anything.. cuzz i know its coming, never  seem to make everyone happy  and then there is people that just always find anything negative to say.  If your that guy you can kiss my

Comments

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

I used to play COH/COV and yes sometimes it was difficult to find groups. it was alot of hit and miss. I would agree in this case server mergering may not be a bad idea.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

This is brought up on the regular forums on a regular basis. The number of subscriptions has held steady for about the last year. They have also started a new advertising campaign and say they are getting an influx of new subscribers. Lets wait and see before we start yelling for mergers again.

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

Frankly, I don't want any more people on Virtue and I doubt Freedumb (*snicker*) wants anymore people there either. I mainly play on Virtue, so I really don't care about merging the others. Except...

I have a lot of alts. I'm talking 6+ full servers (no paid extra slots). If they ever did merge the servers, this is something they'd have to account for. Since they're alts, i'm not particularly attached to them and don't really care what server they're on, but I don't want them deleted. I could very easily wind up with 24 toons on 1 merged server. They'd have to do at least 1 of 3 things:

1. If they keep the limit to 12 "free" slots per server, they'd need to give me free server transfers and let me choose which servers I want to transfer my alts to.
    2. Expand the number of allowed 'free' slots to 24.
    3. Give me free 'expansion' slots on the merged server.

If I'm not the one choosing to move my toons to that server, then I'm not the one that's going to be paying for it.

Really, I think #2 or #3 would be the most logical. I rule out #1 just in case someone has double the alts I do -- they wouldn't have anywhere to move their extra toons.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

They would also have to account for the serious issue of what happens to duplicate names across servers.

It's not going to happen. They'd sooner move to a serverless environment (rearranging the hardware so that everyone isn't pre-segregated).

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Actually NCSoft has reported that subscriptions are up since they added Issue 9's invention system.  I only play on one server, Infinity, and never have any problems finding a team when I need one.  Sure, weekday strike/task forces are hard to come by.  That's why I wait til the weekend to do those if I want.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Actually, I believe the plan is to eventually go to a seamless character server -- character transfers was the first step towards that.  How they plan to handle duplicate names is another matter though (hopefully not like tabula rasa or sword of the new world.)

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

Actually a serverless environment is a dream the devs have. They have no idea how to do it at this time though.

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by therain93

Actually, I believe the plan is to eventually go to a seamless character server -- character transfers was the first step towards that.  How they plan to handle duplicate names is another matter though (hopefully not like tabula rasa or sword of the new world.)

I'm a little afraid to ask - what happened there?

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

Well not sure what NCSoft would do but other games usually just add an "x" to the end of your name if it's duplicate.  Though they could also offer a free name change as well.

• TheRedPillTheRedPill Member Posts: 114

You can speculate 'til Paragon City Hospitals install maternity wards. But to what end? And just think, all the time you're here stirring the pot, everyone else is enjoying the game.

I think part of the problem is people see this game doesn't have millions of subs like That Other Game, so they assume it's failing.  You don't need that many subs to turn a profit.

• TheRedPillTheRedPill Member Posts: 114

DrowNoble that is probably true NOW that the game has been around so long; the company has likely recouped some of their investment and can afford to stand alone in a niche market. It really has no competition for what it is...YET.

Well before That Other Game, 300k subs would be considered a stellar success.   Before '04 having one million subs would of been considered unheard of.  I've read articles that say to break even the average MMO needs 20-40k subs, this varies based off number of servers and the bandwidth provider the MMO uses.

That being said, CoX is right around the 175k range.  It fluctuates like any MMO does, I've seen numbers as low as 125k and as high as 200k.  You are right that it is a niche game with no real competition right now.  Diehard comic fans and roleplayers really enjoy this game as the gameplay itself is parallel to those playstyles and expectations.

When Champions Online comes out, we shall see how this game fares.