Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sometimes I think the fanboys are "forcing" themselves to like this game

TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367

Based on what they've been playing in their heads for the last 5-7 years..

Think about this for a second.

Let's say this game was never publically announced up to this point and one day it just popped up and showed every video that it has released over the last 7 years and made no "promises" of features beyond what was shown inside the videos themselves.

Would anyone actually give a rats ass about it at that pont? No...

The one and ONLY thing that has kept this project afloat is promises. 90% of which are still completely unfullfilled and unproven 2 months away from a supposed launch....

I get the feeling that most people who have followed this all these years feel like they HAVE TO to like this game because they've followed it for so damn long, been promised so damn much, that there's really only two things they can do --- accept whatever bullshit their given and be happy with it or walk away and admit they've been fucked over by empty promises fior the last 7 years.

Me??? I am still waiting to watch a simple character creation video...... and have someone explain to me why no one has been allowed to log into a game that is touted as being fully complete and commercially ready to launch in 2 months.

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

there is a small fault in your way of thinking; not ALL gameplay features can be shown in a video.

So one would inevitable start to search for more details and discover the actual features of the game.

• KhaelSUNKhaelSUN Member Posts: 394

character creation video??! Play Barbie Online or something if you care so much about that shit.

Khael[SUN]
    SUN - peekayin since pong
    Webdeveloper on:
    http://www.guildofsun.com
    http://www.bloodmonarchy.com

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Galadourn

there is a small fault in your way of thinking; not ALL gameplay features can be shown in a video.
    So one would inevitable start to search for more details and discover the actual features of the game.

most games show things like Character Creation videos around a year before Launch... it's very comon.

And a series of smaller videos could be created to show the different gameplay features, even Dark and Light did them!

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

most games show things like Character Creation videos around a year before Launch... it's very comon.
    And a series of smaller videos could be created to show the different gameplay features, even Dark and Light did them!

yes but why is that suddenly so important? I couldn't care less about character creation (and I guess, as there are no classes, it should be a pretty simple process with not much to show).

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

You give him too much , posting here ...Its another worthless thread

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by KhaelSan

character creation video??! Play Barbie Online or something if you care so much about that shit.

Way to alientate at least 50% of the people that play mmo's.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448
    Originally posted by mrw0lf

Way to alientate at least 50% of the people that play mmo's.

Amen to that.

KhaelSan sounds like the kind of guy that would have a name like 'UGOTPWNED' and power to max level just to focus on high-level pvp.

GTFO and go back to your console please.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't reallt see why anyone would love or hate a game that's not released yet, at least unless your'e in the beta and even then the game can change a lot.

Sure, I hope the game will be good but since I never played a game before by the devs I really have no idea what to expect and I ain't judging a game just by a few screenshots and some cheesy video fotage.

I do have hopes for Bioware and Arenanets upcomming games because I like what they have done before but even then I will not go around and loving something I havn't tried.

So just relax the game will have to prove itself in time anyways.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Uh... do you not feel the irony in that statement given the classic photo you are using as an avatar?

I mean, come on... Rita Hayworth!

In any case I disagree with the op, all games are about "stating" what the game will offer. I wouldn't go so much as the word "promise" because that strikes me as being a bit too much like an 8 year old boy who is dissapointed at something that is not the way he thinks it will be. Shouting "you promised... you promised".

Darkfall doesn't really have to do much other than release. Saying there is a skill based system and releasing with a level based system would be a lie sure. Saying that it is open pvp but it isn't open pvp would be a lie.

But since those would be glaring differences, it seems to stand to reason that they say the game will be comprised of "x" and it's pretty straight forward stuff.

Whether or not people actually like how it's implemented is another matter.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

yea pretty much. I've seen sooo many goof-balls that seem to have gone nuts from waiting. The "official" forums are very entertaining to read at times.

Those who just tuned in finds quite a mess though. No release dates or speculations set in stone, strangely few videos shown and even less content explained and a very weird beta method where they use A.I to test the game :S I guess you gotta be a follower to understand that one fully

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

True to some extent. What Darkfall makes great is of course the concept behind it. Not so so called feature list or what so ever. The point that it is a open ended sandbox with a lot of different combat options(naval, mounted) in a fps manner(Battlefield, AC to some extent) and a free city and empire building(shadowbane), with skilled based character advancement, full looting, a lot of crafting and player based economy(UO, EvE).

This, and just this, the mix of a few pearls of the mmorpg genre into one game. Every feature alone is not really unique or really innovative, but all of them is, what a lot of mmorpg players have wished for since early UO.(and well i could even imagine a lot more, but it would even harder to realize.. so i am more than happy if the realize all this what is announced)

And of course we didnt saw everything.. but is it even possible? But we see a lot of them, to at least hope that everything else is also in the game. But all this doesnt mean that darkfall will be the best game ever.. look at shadowbane.. the concept and gameplay was great.. not so great was the lag, the buggy game, the awful graphics, the crappy controlling.. all this could happen with darkfall, too. And you cant see it really in a vid. You have to play it, to be sure of it.

But nevertheless as long as no other game is around which offers at least anything similar like that, i will wait and hope for Darkfall. And i will playtest it, to see what it has really to offer. And this is my opinion since years, and will be until i am able to play it.

• siftifiedsiftified Member Posts: 258

I could easily identify alot of the "promised" features in the videos that I've seen. Manual Blocking, aiming of arrows and spells, collision system, pushing, hiding, mount combat, ship combat, hiding and use of terrain just to name a few.

However just to beconsistent I'll point out the same old point. If you don't like PvP games, and are looking for something with purdy graphics and a class sytem, then this will not be the game for you. I would mush prefer a competitive, working PvP engine, than a deep character creation system.

Oh and the OP ..... 

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

OP:

yea pretty much. I've seen sooo many goof-balls that seem to have gone nuts from waiting. The "official" forums are very entertaining to read at times.
    Those who just tuned in finds quite a mess though. No release dates or speculations set in stone, strangely few videos shown and even less content explained and a very weird beta method where they use A.I to test the game :S I guess you gotta be a follower to understand that one fully

na the ai testing i have an idea how there doing it

but some people jsut cant wrap there minds around the concept

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

...Based on what they've been playing in their heads for the last 5-7 years..

Worshipping a game they've been playing in their heads for the last 5-7 years is quite simply the most apt way of describing the Darkfall fan which is why, thanks specifically to them, the game is doomed to failure. At it's best or worse, what it will NEVER be is the game the fans made up in their own minds and projected onto the dearth of information that is Darkfall.

I have a game I play in my head all the time. It's called Ultima (just Ultima), and it's an update of Ultima Online. It's the most f'in amazing game ever made. It has these really complicated career progression where you can be everything from a knight, to a pirate, to a pick pocket, to a farmer. It has open PvP and corpse looting, but it's not a gank fest do to a in depth criminality system that your pretty much bound in your career tree once you start indescriminated ganking other players. Also the crafting is amazing. You craft super-epic-mega-lewtz but several steps and several crafting profession are involved, so it take several people several days to craft the Super-Ultra-Mega-Sword of God Like Pwnage. Did I mention you can be a pirates and base your enitre play around that? You can.

Oh and check THIS out: You know how Ultima Online has shards (servers) built into the storuy? So does Ultima, BUT thanks to something that happened after the Avatar decended, it's now possible to open moongates between shards, so one player character (called Earthlings in my game the way) can travel BETWEEN SERVERS!!! This is awesome not only because it insures you can play with your friends, but it allows the game to do more things without using instancing... like persistant player housing without created the concrete jungle effect like in Ultima Online and SWG. No more space to build you house? Try another shard!

Yeah, there ARE instances, we call them "script content." But that's a play choice, for people that like it. There's enough of open world sandbox content that players could play for years without going into an instance and never miss it.

So yeah. There's my Darkfall. The diffrance between me and a Darkfall fan is I realize the worse thing in the world that could possible happen is for them to actually MAKE a sequal to Ultima Online.

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• PolarizationPolarization Member Posts: 1,410

8 years of hopes, dreams and fantasy based almost entirely on

8 years of developers talking vaguely and ambiguously with very little substantiation about how wonderful and awesome there game is.

Equals highly unrealistic expectations.

Anything that threatens those highly unrealistic expectations, like common sense or reality provoke angry emotional responses due to cognitive dissonance.

They also stimulate cult / faith based like behaviour, and the “us and them” mentality, the prophet Tasos insists the promised land that is perpetually just over the horizon will be coming soon, weak minded and emotionally unstable people or just the plain desperate are very susceptible to varying degrees to this.

The true believers and newly converted simply brandish their feature list Bible of developer quotes as “proof” whenever the accursed unbelievers and heretics dare to question their faith.

I agree if this game was not announced nearly 8 years before its current official release date and did not have 8 years of developer and community hype behind it.

It would only have the very minimal following that all amateur, first time and part time developed, extended/delayed, overly ambitious MMO projects with convoluted historys and extremly poor community relations that have not demonstrated much have, it would be very small and would be mostly Greek.

If Darkfall was announced today there would probably only be a single post on the open beta discussion board with a few incredulous responses, and the game would be forgotten again until beta actually started.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Polarization

8 years of developers talking vaguely and ambiguously with very little substantiation about how wonderful and awesome there game is.
    Anything that threatens those highly unrealistic expectations, like common sense or reality provoke angry emotional responses due to cognitive dissonance.
    They also stimulate cult / faith based like behaviour, and the “us and them” mentality, the prophet Tasos insists the promised land that is perpetually just over the horizon will be coming soon, weak minded and emotionally unstable people or just the plain desperate are very susceptible to varying degrees to this.
    The true believers and newly converted simply brandish their feature list Bible of developer quotes as “proof” whenever the accursed unbelievers and heretics dare to question their faith.
    I agree if this game was not announced nearly 8 years before its current official release date and did not have 8 years of developer and community hype behind it.
    It would only have the very minimal following that all amateur, first time and part time developed, extended/delayed, overly ambitious MMO projects with convoluted historys and extremly poor community relations that have not demonstrated much have, it would be very small and would be mostly Greek.
    If Darkfall was announced today there would probably only be a single post on the open beta discussion board with a few incredulous responses, and the game would be forgotten again until beta actually started.

Or....perhaps there's just a few gamers like me who would just like to see an MMORPG game built in the old school style instead of the easy mode games being created almost universally today.

I'm a skeptic, so I too doubt much of what has been claimed, but I still hope they can pull most of it off; would be nice to have a fantasy game even close this available to play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PolarizationPolarization Member Posts: 1,410

I agree, and I’m another one of them, that’s why I’m still waiting even after 7+ years.

But looking at the official forums and the majority of the vocal supporters for this game on this site I would say we are in the minority.

Of course the post does not apply to me, you or anyone else who does not have highly unrealistic expectations who might be following Darkfall.

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Polarization

Or....perhaps there's just a few gamers like me who would just like to see an MMORPG game built in the old school style instead of the easy mode games being created almost universally today.

I'm a skeptic, so I too doubt much of what has been claimed, but I still hope they can pull most of it off; would be nice to have a fantasy game even close this available to play.

No... actually there's NOT just a few, there's a big ole' buttload of gamers like me would just like to see and MMORPG game built in new evolution of the old school style instead of fairly limited games safe sell games that have the man power, funding, and developer interest to actually succeed today.

Personally I'd love yo Adventurine come out of left and pull off something amazing, but the fact is probably won't happen, and even if it does, the fact that it won't be the realization of the pure fanatasy that most of it's followers have been following for years (because that's impossible) means that's it's already limited audiance is just going to get upset and jump ship back to WoW with 90 days of release... yet again.

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• darkwondererdarkwonderer Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

Yes and we all see how well that turned out.  In fact AoC had videos and releases of all the "promised" features as well. Many, many games that ultimately failed, or were radically different did.

The point is that a lot of games have done far, far better jobs of marketing in the past.  This is a glaring weakness of this game. And one that I will not argue.

However, with that said, for some strange reason I am more inclined to believe the little guy with no marketing budget. With very little in extra resources to cave into the ever demanding, "But now I want to see this or the game doesnt exist! But now I want to see this!" As opposed to the big games with whole marketing departments who sole goal is to hype a game to increase sales based on said marketing.

Let me reitterate my point. Marketing and hype do not make a game. It does however make money. I would give this game a wait and see and talk crap about the product once you've seen it.

But none of this really matters does it. Because most people here just like to bash on people regardless. This is why they continually find new things to "complain" about with this game. There arguments ever evolving into the next thing.

It does help to pass the time. Heck it can even be good fun at times. I get it. I really do, but you should be more honest about your negativity and just come right out and say your bored and just causing trouble cause darkfall people annoy you because of their excitement.

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

What about all the people that haven't been waiting for years though?

The forum membership is 3 times bigger than before the video so a lot of people must have liked what they saw.

Personally I was playing another game a  few months ago thinking "hmmm this would be much better if I could loot my opponents" so I went on the hunt for another game and discovered Darkfall.  I was looking for something with the basic features I had in mind and DF fitted the bill perfectly.

There are others exactly the same as me, at least 100k based on the recent increase in forum membership, they haven't waited for years but they like what see.

So that would make at least 2/3 of the fans not long time cult members, how do you explain that?

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Im honest about my negativity, Do we really want all these self proclaimed Darkfall zealots selling the game for a hack company?

If we can keep it real, if we can get people to be objective, instead of blindly praising promises with no more basis in reality than Tasos's word, the game wont disappoint as many people as other releases as of late.

Remember all the fanfare for Vanguard, DnL, and AoC? Havent we learned anything?

And yeah I think the F&F Fanbois dont want to look sheepish over relenting on their "its the Holy Grail" of MMOs stance.

Originally posted by Blodpls

What about all the people that haven't been waiting for years though?
    The forum membership is 3 times bigger than before the video so a lot of people must have liked what they saw.
    Personally I was playing another game a  few months ago thinking "hmmm this would be much better if I could loot my opponents" so I went on the hunt for another game and discovered Darkfall.  I was looking for something with the basic features I had in mind and DF fitted the bill perfectly.
    There are others exactly the same as me, at least 100k based on the recent increase in forum membership, they haven't waited for years but they like what see.
    So that would make at least 2/3 of the fans not long time cult members, how do you explain that?

Im telling you, full loot will send most of the people that try it scurrying, provided it actually releases.

"Hardcore" is out, spoon fed, hand holding MMO's are in. And thats the truth of the matter.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

OP. You are wrong.

I played wow and i was seek of it when i was level55. Then, i post in the wow forum to say that i quit wow.

I was looking for a mmorpg at youtube.com at 2007. Then, i randomly found darkfall online. The video name(What is darkfall online) I watched the whole video and now, i waiting in line to play it.

When i read, full loot, pvp every were, no levels, skills base(Skills are easy to raise and its not like level like in RS). Full freedom, no instance. I got crazy about it and now, i cannot wait to play it.

I never played UO, so i'm not even a fanboy of that style of game. I just saw the darkfall video and now i just cannot wait to play it. So, OP you are totally wrong.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

OP. You are wrong.
    I played wow and i was seek of it when i was level55. Then, i post in the wow forum to say that i quit wow.
    I was looking for a mmorpg at youtube.com at 2007. Then, i randomly found darkfall online. The video name(What is darkfall online) I watched the whole video and now, i waiting in line to play it.
    When i read, full loot, pvp every were, no levels, skills base(Skills are easy to raise and its not like level like in RS). Full freedom, no instance. I got crazy about it and now, i cannot wait to play it.
    I never played UO, so i'm not even a fanboy of that style of game. I just saw the darkfall video and now i just cannot wait to play it. So, OP you are totally wrong.

I mean no disrepsect, but you are part of that slice of the pie that is new to the game, and thus excited about it.

Now had you been following it for 8 years, and been burned by their constant inferences of "Beta this year!" Im sure youd feel a lot different about it.

• OutlawVROutlawVR Member Posts: 88

Here we go again. Frequency of these types of threads pop up everytime there isn't an update. Then an update comes and they all shut the fook up...for a while anyways. No update for a week or two and the trolling continues