Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Patch 3.0 cause xfire numbers to go up?

ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

In the past couple weeks it looks like AoC has started to slide down some.  It did look like it was stablizing.  It actually looks like many games have been hurt since the last update on wow.  I guess a lot of people are going back to wow in anticipation of the new expansion.

The question now is do you think that the new AoC update 3.0 is going to turn this around?  Will this be a positive thing for the game or will it be the final straw driving more people away?  Anyone playing it have any feedback for people watching the game.  (Well anyone but Amazing Avery... Sorry you are a bit biased)

www.xfire.com/games/aoc/Age_of_Conan_Hyborian_Adventures/

---
Ethion

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Maybe, but then another steep drop off if FC dosen't quickly fix the exploit possible with the murder system: apped players giving murder points when they should be free pray.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• noggy1980noggy1980 Member Posts: 343

Might go up for a couple of days just because a new patch often will get people to come and try it, by early next week though that will have gone, I expect by monday and tuesday they will be the same or lower than monday and tuesday just gone.

I still think dramatic changes to the systems that the current playerbase think seperates the game from other mmo's is very risky.

• PolikarpovPolikarpov Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by noggy1980

Might go up for a couple of days just because a new patch often will get people to come and try it, by early next week though that will have gone, I expect by monday and tuesday they will be the same or lower than monday and tuesday just gone.

. This is exactly what happened with first half of pvp patch. AoC fans were really exited about sudden rise in Xfire numbers (that was the only few days Xfire numbers meant anything) but we told them it was only temporary, and it was.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

X-fire numbers don't matter, right now especially. The november 12th report will be far more telling toward anything we need to know.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LitigatorABLitigatorAB Member Posts: 36

I agree.  Xfire was a somewhat handy tool for putting some substance for something obvious.  But now with the current population it is really too unreliable to see any new patterns emerging. 

Not to mention with the publicity XFire is getting I have no doubt 20-30 eager players could load the program up to skew results.  There are not enough users now for it to be used effectively.

doesn't look like the patch helped numbers, yesturday was the lowest ever day (actually the day before was but I'm ignoreing that due the servers been down for a long time for patching).

xfire numbers are an important illistration of what is happening but yes the financial report is far more important and will be far more illuminating as to weather funcom has a bright future or none at all.

I have some exciting data to present.  I can't wait.   We already have a solid idea what the numbers are going to look like.  I am more curious how Funcom spins it.  Whether they take responsibility or use evasive language to explain the results.  Whether they make it clear that a majority of its revenue came in the first half of the quarter or if they gloss over that fact. 

I mean, AoC made a boatload of cash in July.  Using Funcom's BEST CASE guidance more than 50% of Funcom's income came from July subscriptions and box sales. 

• WargPestWargPest Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by LitigatorAB

I have some exciting data to present.  I can't wait.   We already have a solid idea what the numbers are going to look like.  I am more curious how Funcom spins it.  Whether they take responsibility or use evasive language to explain the results.  Whether they make it clear that a majority of its revenue came in the first half of the quarter or if they gloss over that fact. 
    I mean, AoC made a boatload of cash in July.  Using Funcom's BEST CASE guidance more than 50% of Funcom's income came from July subscriptions and box sales. 

Ehhh... FC is not getting too much of boxsales as fare as I know of. Reference? 

Hi there.  I am speaking of box sales from July and not now.  I also agree that Funcom isn't selling many boxes now.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Well i bet many games loose subscibers thanks to the financial situation, many parent's might cut down on the kids play time since they need to start saving money or quit playing themselfs, i know i have since my economy is crap.

Afterall food/roof over your head is more important then playing wow/aoc/eq or whatever.

The additional commentary and analysis will take approximately 2 hours from the time Funcom posts its Nov.12th results.  Maybe more if they really spin it...and considerably less if they just post numbers and ignore the situation altogether.

Give or take a few minutes.

Originally posted by Sweede

Well i bet many games loose subscibers thanks to the financial situation, many parent's might cut down on the kids play time since they need to start saving money or quit playing themselfs, i know i have since my economy is crap.
    Afterall food/roof over your head is more important then playing wow/aoc/eq or whatever.

I don't feel the financial situation of the world will hurt mmo subs much at all. It's an extreamly cheap form of entertainment if you have a pc and an internet connection.

If anything something that entertains for a month for $15 will actually do better when people are tightening their belts. In the same way that places like mcdonalds and chocolate companies are benefiting from the crisis.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice yet another new x-fire thread that springs up...

If your telling me that I am biased what about the 3 people in this thread with multiple accounts here?

I'm sure people are going back to WoW, but you know what AoC lived through the launch of WAR it will through the launch of WoW expac and long into the future.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Well to some people and there local currency the $15 might be a lot more, while i had multiple accounts in anarchy and eq1 + the all access it was a fair amount of money every month, and at this point in time $1 or €1 is costing me more in swedish kronor then it did a month or so ago, the us $s dollar is up by a lot even.

• orzoorzo Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

If your telling me that I am biased what about the 3 people in this thread with multiple accounts here?
    I'm sure people are going back to WoW, but you know what AoC lived through the launch of WAR it will through the launch of WoW expac and long into the future.

Being the Age of Conan Correspondent makes you biased.  Come on dude!

Some people are like slinkies, they dont really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

I assume you are accusing me of being the 3rd? I can assure you I have 1 account only (well I guess it's possible I had an account years ago I've forgotten about, but this is the only one I've posted on in years) and I've never even had any communication from the mods about my behavior.  I try to be polite and fair.

It's no secret that I'm not impressed in the slightest with how funcom have conducted themselves, I was disapointed with AoC when I felt with better management it could have been so much more but I do my upmost to be fair and objective. Some of the decisions taken by funcom prior to and after launch have been baffling to say the least and leaving the common knowledge dupe for a month and taking no action is nothing short of unacceptable.

Dislike for a company though would not prevent me from buying a product, I'm not keen on Sony yet I love my PS3 and use it daily and nore would it prevent me from recommending that product to others, I'm not keen on fox but some of their shows are my favourites and I constantly recommend them. If Age of Conan gets to the stage where it becomes the best mmo in an area I will say so and they will get my money and my recommendations.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by ethion

In the past couple weeks it looks like AoC has started to slide down some.  It did look like it was stablizing.  It actually looks like many games have been hurt since the last update on wow.  I guess a lot of people are going back to wow in anticipation of the new expansion.
    The question now is do you think that the new AoC update 3.0 is going to turn this around?  Will this be a positive thing for the game or will it be the final straw driving more people away?  Anyone playing it have any feedback for people watching the game.  (Well anyone but Amazing Avery... Sorry you are a bit biased)

As others have said.. one of the problems with Xfire is that if it gets low enough,  it's fairly easy to manipulate the numbers.   With only 1100 people currently using it and playing AOC.. the usefulness of 'play time' shrinks.

I really wish they made 'players' as the graphed criteria and not hours played.

• TransporterTransporter Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Azrile

As others have said.. one of the problems with Xfire is that if it gets low enough,  it's fairly easy to manipulate the numbers.   With only 1100 people currently using it and playing AOC.. the usefulness of 'play time' shrinks.

I really wish they made 'players' as the graphed criteria and not hours played.

Are you joking. To gain 100 hours on that statistick 10 people would have to expand the already 10 hour long gaming day to 20 hours. Nope. On the other side, to get 100 people to play 1 hour extra should be equaly difficult. And then again 100 is nothing.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

doesn't look like the patch helped numbers, yesturday was the lowest ever day (actually the day before was but I'm ignoreing that due the servers been down for a long time for patching).
    xfire numbers are an important illistration of what is happening but yes the financial report is far more important and will be far more illuminating as to weather funcom has a bright future or none at all.

I believe that the low numbers were caused by down time for the patch so this isn't an indicator of anything.

---
    Ethion

I believe that the low numbers were caused by down time for the patch so this isn't an indicator of anything.

I think you need to read my post again, yesturdays numbers were 4100, the day before was patch day with 3700 as I said in my post I ignored the 3700 because it was patch day and thus irrelvent.

I think most of us (as detractors) see that XFire is not the greatest measurement and we fully realize the implications of patch day and the subjective limitations of the program.  

I've always been quite proud that the small anti-AoC community (if you could call us that) are fair and objective in our analysis of the product. 

It is really hard as a supporter of Aoc to ever say that XFire numbers dropping is good.  It MIGHT be irrelevant...but it is never positive news. 

• tariq071tariq071 Member Posts: 16

Honestly , i don't care about numbers on XFire, since i never had problems getting groups if  i needed them (which is very rarely that you need one anyways) .

So XFire numbers don't make any difference to me, plus anyone that i know never used it.