Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too much effects on mmorpg's

I  ve watched a latest video from cronicles of spellborn demonstrating pvp .. despice the decks of skills and nice movement around i couldnt help nod my head watching another mmorpg being build with too much un needed visual effects when skills are used even from melee classes...

Like someone said to all devs in most dev companie sthat ppl want to see effects that cover the whole opponent sprite!  All u need is smooth animation on weapons so u can actually see asword heading towards to your opponent like oblivion .. perhaps some bllods throwing  on hits, but thats it.. no need for fancy effects ... those ccan only impress 12 y old kids.. wow look at all this blush on the screen thaTS HEROIC STRIKE ! YEHA...!           sigh*

Effects can help visual expirience when they are not covering the whole screen , be there but not being the theme in your screen ...

Instea dof loosing time the devs on creating fancy dances fo colours upon skills and spells perhaps they should focus on improving gameplaY on their products and improving essential things like animations e..t.c.

P.S. COS has gone down in my evaluation only cause of the effects symphony  on that video..

Comments

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Agree... sometimes they look like pinball games more than MMOs. Thankfully Darkfall didn't follow that route.

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by tazarconan

I  ve watched a latest video from cronicles of spellborn demonstrating pvp .. despice the decks of skills and nice movement around i couldnt help nod my head watching another mmorpg being build with too much un needed visual effects when skills are used even from melee classes...
    Like someone said to all devs in most dev companie sthat ppl want to see effects that cover the whole opponent sprite!  All u need is smooth animation on weapons so u can actually see asword heading towards to your opponent like oblivion .. perhaps some bllods throwing  on hits, but thats it.. no need for fancy effects ... those ccan only impress 12 y old kids.. wow look at all this blush on the screen thaTS HEROIC STRIKE ! YEHA...!           sigh*
    Effects can help visual expirience when they are not covering the whole screen , be there but not being the theme in your screen ...
    Instea dof loosing time the devs on creating fancy dances fo colours upon skills and spells perhaps they should focus on improving gameplaY on their products and improving essential things like animations e..t.c.
    P.S. COS has gone down in my evaluation only cause of the effects symphony  on that video..

spellborn isn't even out yet???

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by altairzq

Agree... sometimes they look like pinball games more than MMOs. Thankfully Darkfall didn't follow that route.

Ya you're right. Darkfall is just following the failure before launch route. That game is a total joke. They say it's going to launch this year and they haven't even started a Beta or even have a date for launch. lol

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

Originally posted by altairzq

Ya you're right. Darkfall is just following the failure before launch route. That game is a total joke. They say it's going to launch this year and they haven't even started a Beta or even have a date for launch. lol

Well, maybe. If they really fail, at least they wil have entertained you.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Completely agree, there are certain abilities and actions that would have visual effects, like a fireball, you have the smoke embers and of course fire, but there needn't be some glow effect for hamstring or an emblem above my head when a buff is cast on me.

Then again I understand why they do that, special effects are easier to do than making more animations, I mean to differentiate between regular attack and power attack it is easier to add a glow effect to it rather than make a new animation to show the players.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

gameplay > graphics.  But there are a ton of people who feel graphics is extremely important and won't play without super fantastic graphics.