Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was going to resubscribe...

This isn't a trolling post or flamebait...

I wanted to check out Hoth, but after reading the oforums, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Flamebait posts, posts being answered with juvenile pictures, infighting and bickering...

Talk about Romper Room!

Serious question for those who play:

How can you do it? There's gotta be nothing but a few hardcore vets and hundreds of 10 year olds playing SWG now.

Are these the new "vocal minority" or "small fraction of players" that both play the game and use the forums? Where is SOE hiding the mature players? And, why am I reading posts over there from people complaining that they can't find enough people to group with to run this new content?

Serious and thought provoking replies to this thread only or be reported for asshattery...

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by TheSlider

I wanted to check out Hoth, but after reading the oforums, I just can't bring myself to do it.
    Flamebait posts, posts being answered with juvenile pictures, infighting and bickering...
    Talk about Romper Room!
    How can you do it? There's gotta be nothing but a few hardcore vets and hundreds of 10 year olds playing SWG now.
    Are these the new "vocal minority" or "small fraction of players" that both play the game and use the forums? Where is SOE hiding the mature players? And, why am I reading posts over there from people complaining that they can't find enough people to group with to run this new content?
    Serious and thought provoking replies to this thread only or be reported for asshattery...

They can't find people to group with because the game is a ghost town. I last logged in a couple months ago at prime time, and only found 5, yes 5 total, people online, and only 1 was actually at the keyboard to talk.

The game is pitiful now, don't waste your money.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

The vast majority of players are in fact adults, there are a very vocal minority that post crap on the main forums though. There are currently 6 to 8 servers that have a very good population and you will not have any trouble finding groups/guilds to join.

I just went through the new Hoth encounter and it was very fun, lots of "oh wow" moments. 

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by Gutboy

I just went through the new Hoth encounter and it was very fun, lots of "oh wow" moments. 

oh you're asking for trouble lol

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• TheSliderTheSlider Member Posts: 46

The vast majority of players are in fact adults, there are a very vocal minority that post crap on the main forums though. There are currently 6 to 8 servers that have a very good population and you will not have any trouble finding groups/guilds to join.

My main toon is on Bria.

The last time I was ingame I was on the last 14 day trial they offered, I believe it was for the new heroics that I couldn't find enough people to group for one.

Describe one of the "oh wow" moments if you could, please. Do include screenies if you can.

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

How do you know that "the vast majority of players are in fact adults"? The trash posted on the Oboards come from both the haters and the fanboys with current players being hostile to each other. What is your definition of "very good population"? IMHO none of the servers have anywhere near the population that they did pre-CU.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

My guild is pretty much all over 20.  At 23, I'm one of the youngest :)

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Obraik

So I guess that the toons that are jumping up and down are grown ups? How about the l33t speakers? There are a lot of immature people playing SWG, whether they are kids or adults.

Originally posted by EbenEmael

So I guess that the toons that are jumping up and down are grown ups? How about the l33t speakers? There are a lot of immature people playing SWG, whether they are kids or adults.

I'm sorry, I guess you missed the part about "in my guild"...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Don't bother resubscribing, there will probably be another vet trial...

No reason to give SOE any money they haven't earned, by doing something actually good.

Stay canceled, get free play time.

Originally posted by Burntvet

No reason to give SOE any money they haven't earned, by doing something actually good.

If this is you,

welcome back to SWG :)

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

Starsider and Gorath are not full of kids. Infact Starsider (the rp server) is a healthy community of very organized players who throw nice events all the time. Gorath is quiet, but the people left are a good bunch overall. I plan to move my Gorath toon to Starsider, because Starsider simply rocks as a server.

As for things being a "ghost town" Starsider is FAR from underpopulated. I would advise ALL mature players to check it out for a future home and leave the kiddie, or quiet servers behind

Kids seem to be on Bloodfin and Bria from my experience (not to insult the good people on those servers). The "most populated" servers generally draw the kids.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

We hear it non-stop in this forum...  "The servers are populated and finding a group is NO problem.."

Funny, SOE spent months designing a server-wide player search tool because nobody could find groups and the servers were dead LOL...  So clearly population is a MAJOR issue.

But still, there are those select few that will lie (for whatever reason) and tell us all that the servers are busy and the game is thriving.  Then, we get our vet trial and we log on and find 10 people running around Mos Eisley, a few wookies talking in emoticons to each other ignoring everyone around them, and then nothing but empty server everywhere else.

It's the lie that keeps on coming.  SOE knows this game is dead, LA knows this game is dead.  It's amazing that people still try to get others to spend their hard-earned money subbing to a game based on the lies they tell on the internet.

Tecmo Bowl.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

<Mod edit>

How, exactly, did he do that? How does "my guild is pretty much all over 20" insinuate anything except HIS GUILD IS PRETTY MUCH ALL OVER 20?

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

Quit being so arrogant. You insinuated by your comment that most SWG players are "pretty much all over 20".

If I meant most SWG players, I would have said that.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

So what was the purpose of your "My guild is pretty much all over 20. At 23, I'm one of the youngest :)" post? What I get out of it is that you are trying to use your guild as a reference to the rest of the game population.

Nah I think its just that there is enough mature people on a server to fill a guild....  hahahaha which really isn't saying much.  Take away the Star Wars IP and I don't think anyone would play it for the game mechanics at play.. which is the reason why everyone is talking about "the sunset"..  :p

• Aspirant13Aspirant13 Member Posts: 15

I have found, via years of playing, That the quickest way to loose heart with a game, no matter how good it is, is to read the forums. Perhaps if you find a area you are interested in or a class you want to play, you should go check it out yourself. Rather than let the lcd50 blow it for you.

Aspirant

There is no Absolute Truth or Absolute Reality. That Truth is whatever the majority on hand want it to be. Real Truth is egalitarian and democratic and not at all compelled to correspond to the world in any useful way. Truth has no respect for Right, What's Best, or Needs Must. Real Truth is a dangerous beast in need of caging in even the quietest of times.
    Ask any prince or priest.
    Real Truth was the First Traitor.
    -- Glen Cook

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Burntvet

If this is you,

welcome back to SWG :)

That used to be my crafting alt, until crafting turned to crap.... gave that acct away.

Notice the date, the month after the NGE, canceled my primary first, because combat was and is still Benny Hill on crack and rubberbands.... then registered my alt. Canceled 2 months later, when a rollback was not forthcoming.

One of my friends started using it about 6 or 8 months ago, when some other friends paid the for the acct to be active, because the server they play on is so dead, you have to craft your own stuff.

And that friend who is playing now, even for "Free", is so sick of the boredom , he is going to cancel. The others guys don't play much anyway, and nothing decays, so no reason to keep needing a crafter.

That's right, HE WON'T PLAY IT FOR FREE!!!

I, on the other hand, will never give another cent, peso, won, yen, or eurocent to SOE

Currently, I am playing the othEr gaMe, yoU know.... and waiting for Fallen Earth

• Originally posted by TheSlider

Talk about Romper Room!

So you met the "Target Audience" right?  Yeah, thats the same reason why I wouldn't go back, even if they DID by some accident made the game fun again, because of the kind of players left there.

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

You know, it's your right to dislike the game but some of the arguments you come up with are weak at best. Kids play every MMO, there were annoying 10 year olds in my LotRo guild.

That is the state of MMOs today guys, get over it or move on because its here to stay. I'd like a nice, deep sandbox MMO as much as some of you would, but it ain't happening. The mass commercialization of the MMO market (and gaming in general has seen to that)

Much of what you accuse SWG of is the same or worse in every other MMO out there.

I especially like how some posters will openly talk about how "complex" and "difficult" SWG was and in the next sentence they'll be talking about how they'll be playing SWTOR, which will be anything but.

Some of you are too unobjective for words. The minute anyone has anything positive to say we get 5+ pages of "Don't sub" and "SWG sucks". Hoth is actually very good and a lot of fun. Now many of the "haters" have written it off because they have seen screenshots. Again, unobjective as can be. If it had been "their" game with exactly the same graphics, there would be digital orgasms all over these forums you can be SURE.

The negativity is so ridiculous on these forums that I don't think Ill be back for some time. I can handle someone not liking something but the irrational lunacy that goes on here is unbelievable.

Are you people really that bitter 3 years on? I think its time for phsychiatric help if thats the case. Being this angry at a video game for so long cannot be healthy.

In the final analysis, enjoy whatever it is you are playing.

S

PS : The "VETS" have their own forum here. The mods should limit the endless whining to that forum. Every thread in THIS forum that has anything good to say is instantly hijacked by the same 3 or 4 guys streaming their endless, irrational hatred and it really does get a bit old.

This is unlikely however, as whoever is moderating this forum is clearly a "VET" or a "VET" sympathizer. So far I've had my rep slashed and been temp banned and warned simply for reacting to the endless hatred that inevitably appears when anyone posts anything positive in this forum. Meanwhile, it seems that the team of "VETS" that tend to instigate the trouble are allowed to continue their flaming unchecked.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by Sharkypal

Much of what you accuse SWG of is the same or worse in every other MMO out there.

Precisely why I'm frustrated with the indusry as a whole!

Few, if any, mainstream corporations have made any attempt to further the genre beyond the level/loot model since '03 with the release of the original SWG.

WoW was a phenomina that is unlikely to be repeated, so the future of MMO development lies within the niche market IMO. The sooner corporations learn this the better we as gamers will be as they can get past the stagnation associciated with the current philosophy of instant gratification and the limitations of forced levels on communities.

• nellsonnellson Member Posts: 81

You know, it's your right to dislike the game but some of the arguments you come up with are weak at best. Kids play every MMO, there were annoying 10 year olds in my LotRo guild.
    That is the state of MMOs today guys, get over it or move on because its here to stay. I'd like a nice, deep sandbox MMO as much as some of you would, but it ain't happening. The mass commercialization of the MMO market (and gaming in general has seen to that)
    I especially like how some posters will openly talk about how "complex" and "difficult" SWG was and in the next sentence they'll be talking about how they'll be playing SWTOR, which will be anything but.
    Some of you are too unobjective for words. The minute anyone has anything positive to say we get 5+ pages of "Don't sub" and "SWG sucks". Hoth is actually very good and a lot of fun. Now many of the "haters" have written it off because they have seen screenshots. Again, unobjective as can be. If it had been "their" game with exactly the same graphics, there would be digital orgasms all over these forums you can be SURE.
    The negativity is so ridiculous on these forums that I don't think Ill be back for some time. I can handle someone not liking something but the irrational lunacy that goes on here is unbelievable.
    Are you people really that bitter 3 years on? I think its time for phsychiatric help if thats the case. Being this angry at a video game for so long cannot be healthy.
    S
    PS : The "VETS" have their own forum here. The mods should limit the endless whining to that forum. Every thread in THIS forum that has anything good to say is instantly hijacked by the same 3 or 4 guys streaming their endless, irrational hatred and it really does get a bit old.
    This is unlikely however, as whoever is moderating this forum is clearly a "VET" or a "VET" sympathizer. So far I've had my rep slashed and been temp banned and warned simply for reacting to the endless hatred that inevitably appears when anyone posts anything positive in this forum. Meanwhile, it seems that the team of "VETS" that tend to instigate the trouble are allowed to continue their flaming unchecked.

this......................the man who wrote this has my respect.......truth be told,hes one hundred percent correct about the VETS and Mods in here.........

You people can spew hatred and venom,but when we react to it,we re the ones mediated.......

Sharky,your a genius.........nicely done....

Keep the negative crap in the vet forums where it belongs.....Mods,stop catering to these people...In all likelihood, the Mod in here IS A VET.....

Ten Ton Hammer is where ill be........

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

I don't see any hatred being "spewed" by anyone other than you.

There are many of us who don't like being lied to on this site by people who claim the game has higher populations than it does.  Every time we log on hoping it's true we are reminded that the players of this game are so starved to play with others they will make up anything to get us to waste our money on what is a dead game.

It isn't ethical.  Plain and simple.

Tecmo Bowl.

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

S

Lol the state of the MMO.. no room for a sandbox?  Yeah then what is Darkfall, and why are there still so many people with interest in that game?  If it were a company like Blizzard that people had trust in releasing that game.. I could guarentee you that the initial sales would be as good or better than AoC and WAR.

Most of the positive statements many of us see about SWG are complete and utter lies.  It really seems to piss off the active SWG community because they can't come here an make false claims at the state of the game without someone putting them in check.  Wah, who's crying now?

So they give me yet another trial to confirm that IT STILL SUCKS.  Sorry, goodbye.

In the world of Sharkypal, everyone should just shut up and take it, or go sit in the corner.  Sorry bud.. you can blame my parents because they raised me with some dignity, to be rational, and be on the right side of truth.

"He who commits injustice is ever made more wretched than he who suffers it." - Plato..   and this is the truth.  You're siding with those who commit injustice, and wretched be you.  Lol as if there is some timeframe that makes a wrongful act right.  No, but that's the logic that fools bath in.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

but then I got high

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

but then I got high

Surprised that didn't show up earlier, that was practically the first thing i thought when i saw the title.

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137
    Originally posted by ebonfire

S

Lol the state of the MMO.. no room for a sandbox?  Yeah then what is Darkfall, and why are there still so many people with interest in that game?  If it were a company like Blizzard that people had trust in releasing that game.. I could guarentee you that the initial sales would be as good or better than AoC and WAR.

Darkfall is going to suck hard. So no, you aren't going to be getting a sandbox game that is any good anytime soon. My advice is to sub to EvE, that's the closest you are going to get.

Most of the positive statements many of us see about SWG are complete and utter lies.  It really seems to piss off the active SWG community because they can't come here an make false claims at the state of the game without someone putting them in check.  Wah, who's crying now?

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You and several others here hijack every single thread with negativity. You then go on to call ANYONE who has anything positive to say a "liar" with no proof of anything you say. Rather, negative assumptions based on your hatred of SOE and SWG.

So they give me yet another trial to confirm that IT STILL SUCKS.  Sorry, goodbye.

OK, now go away and play Darkfall. You've made your point, you don't like the game. We don't need to see the same tired "arguments" in every thread.

In the world of Sharkypal, everyone should just shut up and take it, or go sit in the corner.  Sorry bud.. you can blame my parents because they raised me with some dignity, to be rational, and be on the right side of truth.

No, quite simply not true, but you subscribe to the "It's only true if I happen to agree with it" school of thought. Typical of any ignorant person. It has nothing to do with "dignity" and a lot to do with being a spoiled baby who can't get his own way.

"He who commits injustice is ever made more wretched than he who suffers it." - Plato..   and this is the truth.  You're siding with those who commit injustice, and wretched be you.  Lol as if there is some timeframe that makes a wrongful act right.  No, but that's the logic that fools bath in.

They made a mistake. Most big companies have at one point or another. While that doesn't excuse it, the amount of time that one should spend hating a video game for it's perceived foibles is definitely finite and you are way past the sell by date.

Good luck with Darkfall (ROFL)! Let me know how that works out for you.

You are given an incredible amount of latitude here. Again, Im guessing because the mod is a "VET" or a "VET" sympathizer. You have your own forum here to "diss" SOE and SWG. I think the whole MMORPG.COM community would be better served if you, your ilk and your endless negativity were confined to that area.

I actually play the game, and have done for 5 years. I know exactly what state is in. Im not like you, I didn't just log in for a half hour, decide I still hated it because I have trouble moving on and then rush on here to make sure everyone still knows my "opinion".

S