Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The clock is ticking...

Comments

• noggy1980noggy1980 Member Posts: 343

Very sorry to hear that mate, nearly the weekend then you can spend it doing something you've not been allowed to do for the past 10 years.

Go buy yourself a 50 inch plasma and an xbox360/ps3/wii set them up in your living room and game all weekend in your underwear, or do the oposite, get dressed up go get drunk and pull a young hotty.

Bonfire night this weekend in England, we are having family and friends around to sit around a big fire in our small back garden and fire off way too expensive fireworks 10 times closer to us that the instructions suggest because our garden is no where near big enough to get 50m away, eat sausages and toast marshmallows on the fire

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

So many people are also over looking a very simple basic  fact. Aoc could well fold due in part to the world economic crisis going on at the moment. Those who used to play two or even 3 different MMO's will reduce it to one or non at all.

That's what those over at Mythic fail to realize as well. We're now at a time in history where many working class people simply have to cut out the luxuries, MMO subscriptions being one of them! WOW will hang on as people don't need to upgrade to play it, they can use very old Pc's to play it. People will not be forking out money to upgrade to play a game for 2008 and 2009 over choosing to have a roof over their heads and food in their belly and bills paid.

• craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255
    Originally posted by noggy1980

I don't think anyone doubts your fairness, honesty or objectivity malickie, I think he is refering to those people who sign up spend a month saying how amazing aoc is and how terrible war is only to disapear and be replaced by someone else. You are right though and his comment was far to broad and encompassed people that it shouldn't have.

one of the questions id like to ask over and over again is:

whats wrong with playing aoc a month and having an amazing time ?

id say playing an mmo 1,2 or 3 month then doing something else or trying out another mmo is a perfect healthy way to play games. far healthier imho then beeing addicted to 1 game with 5year old graphics doing repetative gameplay week after week. but freedom for people that like to do that.

imho with the emerging variety of mmos (and mmo hybrid games) we will have a lot of gamers that stick to an mmo less then a year. it doesnt make anyone special that says "hey i played ultima online (or lineage 1) from 1980 and still play it" because for the market to broaden and the games to improve there need to be new games and games with higher tech specs and games picked up by people playing 3h/week opposed to ppl playing 5h/day....

as for the value of a mmo, i think it should go back to be compared to regular games and not to be valued on some mmo internal rating system.

for example if you evaluate the newest tombraider no reviewer would say:

- i will reduce the score by 2 because someone with a 5 year old comp will have troubles playing it

- i played it online with some friends and i dont like how steve behaved

- after 100h of gameplay i got bored

yet if u look at so called reviews of mmo veterans they expect the game to be a game they can waste 5h/day for years in or they play and a pvp server and complain to get ganked

the problem is that the forums are full of so called experts and the people that play games just for fun dont have any kind of platform so the media will drift away from whats a healthy, neutral evaluation of a game towards the voice of a circle of critiques

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

• noggy1980noggy1980 Member Posts: 343
    Originally posted by craynlon

id say playing an mmo 1,2 or 3 month then doing something else or trying out another mmo is a perfect healthy way to play games. far healthier imho then beeing addicted to 1 game with 5year old graphics doing repetative gameplay week after week. but freedom for people that like to do that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, I'm not sure what I've said that gave the impression that I would think that way, in fact I play many mmo's like that, I knew when I started warhammer I was likely to have fun for 2 or 3 months then get bored and I expect the same to be the case with the warcraft expansion. I won't leave them with any bitterness, I'll have had fun, had my moneys worth and moved on. MMO's aren't designed that way though and they won't make any money if people just stay for 2 months then leave.

The people on this forum he was refering too are not doing that, they sign up, spending 10's of hours over a month posting how amazing the game is, how terrible the compeition is, not attempting any reasonable discussion, never responding to debate, dismissing others opinions then they completly disapear never to be heard from again and at that time someone new exactly the same pops up. Of course it's completly impossible to know why they are doing this are they just people that are way over loyal, completly unobjective as often happens with playstation vs xbox or are they something more sinister. All you can do is try to debate them but it's hard as they won't respond to your points.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I don't think anyone doubts your fairness, honesty or objectivity malickie, I think he is refering to those people who sign up spend a month saying how amazing aoc is and how terrible war is only to disapear and be replaced by someone else. You are right though and his comment was far to broad and encompassed people that it shouldn't have.

imho with the emerging variety of mmos (and mmo hybrid games) we will have a lot of gamers that stick to an mmo less then a year. it doesnt make anyone special that says "hey i played ultima online (or lineage 1) from 1980 and still play it" because for the market to broaden and the games to improve there need to be new games and games with higher tech specs and games picked up by people playing 3h/week opposed to ppl playing 5h/day....

as for the value of a mmo, i think it should go back to be compared to regular games and not to be valued on some mmo internal rating system.

- i will reduce the score by 2 because someone with a 5 year old comp will have troubles playing it

yet if u look at so called reviews of mmo veterans they expect the game to be a game they can waste 5h/day for years in or they play and a pvp server and complain to get ganked

the problem is that the forums are full of so called experts and the people that play games just for fun dont have any kind of platform so the media will drift away from whats a healthy, neutral evaluation of a game towards the voice of a circle of critiques

heh , I doubt if many would call it amazing, unless you mean amazingly boring playing on empty servers. Myself I only have a limited amount of time for leisure activities each day and prefer to spend them on activities I truly enjoy rather than trying to force myself to log in and trudge through another level.

Life is too short to spend time doing less than pleasant activities in my opinion. If I have 3 hours to play games I want to spend it in a quality MMO with a good community and AoC does not even come close to qualifying there.

I miss DAoC

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Jackdog

heh , I doubt if many would call it amazing, unless you mean amazingly boring playing on empty servers. Myself I only have a limited amount of time for leisure activities each day and prefer to spend them on activities I truly enjoy rather than trying to force myself to log in and trudge through another level.
    Life is too short to spend time doing less than pleasant activities in my opinion. If I have 3 hours to play games I want to spend it in a quality MMO with a good community and AoC does not even come close to qualifying there.

Taste differs. You don't like it? Don't play it. Doesn't mean other won't think it is great.

Some servers are empty others not, but if you really want lot's of players all the time, Wow is the only choice for you. Too bad that at least part of the Wow community are... not what  I would call good. AoCs PvE community ain't bad, PvP servers have been a different thing for a long while however.

But never force yourself to logg in to any game, take a break or change game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Very sorry to hear that mate, nearly the weekend then you can spend it doing something you've not been allowed to do for the past 10 years.
    Go buy yourself a 50 inch plasma and an xbox360/ps3/wii set them up in your living room and game all weekend in your underwear, or do the oposite, get dressed up go get drunk and pull a young hotty.
    Bonfire night this weekend in England, we are having family and friends around to sit around a big fire in our small back garden and fire off way too expensive fireworks 10 times closer to us that the instructions suggest because our garden is no where near big enough to get 50m away, eat sausages and toast marshmallows on the fire

HAHA, will have to try that out. Especially the young hotty part. /cheers

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Loke666

Taste differs. You don't like it? Don't play it. Doesn't mean other won't think it is great.

Some servers are empty others not, but if you really want lot's of players all the time, Wow is the only choice for you. Too bad that at least part of the Wow community are... not what  I would call good. AoCs PvE community ain't bad, PvP servers have been a different thing for a long while however.

But never force yourself to logg in to any game, take a break or change game.

Heh , the 2 games in my sig also have decent populations. LoTRO and EQII and both have better communities than AoC or WoW.

With MoM releasing in less than 3 weeks, LoTRO should see a nice boost to what are already decently populated servers. I play on Silverlode which is mot even in the top 5 of the N American servers and it is not uncommon to see several groups questing even in the lvl 20 and 30 areas there on weekends now. With the 2 new classes coming with the expansion now is a great time to try it for the first time or return.

EQII has a steady population although it is a bit top heavy at this point. I still subscribe just to play a bit with a few of my old guildies when I feel like a change of pace from LoTRO. For that matter even Vanguard is getting better from what a freind tells me. Just myself but I think that if one is looking for a good fantasy PvE game, any of those 3 would be a better choice than AoC at this point.

When Funcom decides that the game has improved enough to offer free time to old customers to give it another shot I will give it another look see since I did enjoy the graphics and town design. But until then there is no way I would spend 15 bucks to even look at it. The way I see it Funcom has been lying through there teeth for months and a few forum posts is not enough to convince me that they have changed their ways.

If I let them cheat  me once shame on them, if I let them cheat me twice then shame on me.

I miss DAoC

• LitigatorABLitigatorAB Member Posts: 36

Funcom's pretentiousness and inability to execute is going to be shown very acutely once the new Q3 numbers come in.

Q4 numbers will be even more telling.  Funcom won't have July and August subscriptions to rely on to massively inflate its numbers.   They will spin Q3 anyway they can to soften the Q4 implosion coming.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Lit!  Nice to see you!

When are the Q3 figures due out?  Do you know (of all the people posting here I figure you might actually know.)

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

November 12th.  And thanks.  

I have a nice preliminary writeup prepared.

Originally posted by LitigatorAB

November 12th.  And thanks.  
    I have a nice preliminary writeup prepared.

Out of curiosity what would you already have written up about a report that hasn't been released yet?

Background information regarding Funcom in general, Funcom's previous financial reports, etc..

In addition, most of the formula models needed to parse the new financial data are finished.

• craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255

i had a good time playing my assasin to lvl80.

ok i soloed most of the time because after 4 years of forced grouping and 2nd account buffers of lineage2 i felt good following a storyline and beeing able to solo. i liked that my char wasnt overpowered and that i had to do some sneaking and thinking in my game. i also enjoyed some groups, especially cistern and atztel and some raids in the end. for me aoc was a lot of fun for 2 month, then i was 80 (with a lvl 50alt) and felt there was nothing to see for me any more so i swiched to war (wich ill play till tcos goes live)

bottom line for me is: aoc is a good computer game but maybe (so far) only a below average mmo

ok this is an mmo site but still i feel many people judge aoc solemnly on the mmo part where i must say i had more fun and more and diverse content then for example playing assassins creed on the xbox while i payed almost the same for the game many critics gave stellar ratings to.

for me the danger in overstretching and valuing the mmo part is that our negativity shies away a lot of regular gamers that would have a lot of fun with the game because they didnt expect to get a 40h/week addiction from the game in the first place.

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

Background information regarding Funcom in general, Funcom's previous financial reports, etc..
    In addition, most of the formula models needed to parse the new financial data are finished.

I wonder if funcoms report will have this much work behind it ?

Well you know what they say, if you're going to do something, do it right.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Funcom's pretentiousness and inability to execute is going to be shown very acutely once the new Q3 numbers come in.
    Q4 numbers will be even more telling.  Funcom won't have July and August subscriptions to rely on to massively inflate its numbers.   They will spin Q3 anyway they can to soften the Q4 implosion coming.

Lit, are you planning on doing a pre-announcement post with your expectations?   I'm going to do one just because I find it fun and because I don't follow any other stocks that are so easy to predict based on secondary information (box sales and xfire).

Also, good to see you back.. I feel my IQ raising again :)

Originally posted by Azrile

Lit, are you planning on doing a pre-announcement post with your expectations?   I'm going to do one just because I find it fun and because I don't follow any other stocks that are so easy to predict based on secondary information (box sales and xfire).

Also, good to see you back.. I feel my IQ raising again :)

It's weird he got banned in the first place, I never really saw him taking part in the everyday arguments going on. They didn't ban him for simply creating threads on stocks and financial information did they?

It's weird he got banned in the first place, I never really saw him taking part in the everyday arguments going on. They didn't ban him for simply creating threads on stocks and financial information did they?

Water under the bridge in my view.  But as to your latter comment...yes...that is why. 

Or rather, the continuous updates.  So I won't make that mistake again.  I will only be posting the one overview and that will be it. 

I have Funcom pegged at around 15.75 million US excluding Plutolife.  Will that be enough to put Funcom into its guidance forecast?  Probably. 

What we will have after Q3 is a min-max view of AoC's September subscriber base.  It will not be entirely accurate unless the revenue  number is low.  If the number is low (14.5-15.5 million US) then some of the upper range subscription scenarios for September will be put to rest nicely.  Of course some of this is going to be disputed...I already see the excuse forming before my eyes:

"You don't know what July's subscription numbers were for all we know there were more subscribers in August than in July!"

I have already written out a 2 page counter to this argument. 

Anyways, it should be fun.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

To people who don't know how 'closed for business' works.
    I'll give you an example from a company that just did it in the USA a few months ago.

11pm  Store manager closes store like any normal night, all prep work had been done for the next day.

4am.  Store managers get a phone call telling them not to unlock the doors that morning

7am.  Store managers get a phone call telling them to start calling employees and telling them that their store will be closing down

8am.  Company announces they are going out of business.

9am.  Employees that missed the phone call show up to work only to find locked doors.

24hrs before the company announced it was closing for business, none of its employees knew a thing.   Advertisments were still in the newspaper, employees prepped for the next days work etc etc.
    The only time a company announces ahead of time that they are going out of business is if they have a lot of inventory to sell (furniture stores, car dealerships etc).   Service companies just close up shop.

While this may be generally true in the business world, the history of MMOs hasn't borne this out. Generally speaking, when an MMO company closes its doors, there is a grace preiod where players are told "servers will come down at X time on X date".

That being said, WISH, which was in Beta at the time of closure, closed shop in much the same way that you mention.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• arimerarimer Member Posts: 124

Wow your up there on the bitter scale aren't you?  I never understood why if someone hated something they would spend more time working on it.

Originally posted by arimer

Wow your up there on the bitter scale aren't you?  I never understood why if someone hated something they would spend more time working on it.

I don't know why some people don't understand this.  It's not about hate or being bitter.  I like to analyze financial data and make projections.  I play the stock market and really the money I make is almost secondary to the fun I get from just playing it.( I have a good paying real job,  my investment income isn't needed)  Think of it this way.. how many people spend an hour doing a very challenging soduko?  What is the purpose in that?

Funcom is an excellent company to 'play' with because it's revenue stream is basically AOC.. it's also interesting because we can get secondary data from sites like amazon.com and xfire and try to weave them into our predictions.   It's also a very clean intersection between two of my biggest hobbies.. the stock market, and MMORPGs.

Originally posted by Stradden

To people who don't know how 'closed for business' works.
    I'll give you an example from a company that just did it in the USA a few months ago.

11pm  Store manager closes store like any normal night, all prep work had been done for the next day.

4am.  Store managers get a phone call telling them not to unlock the doors that morning

7am.  Store managers get a phone call telling them to start calling employees and telling them that their store will be closing down

8am.  Company announces they are going out of business.

9am.  Employees that missed the phone call show up to work only to find locked doors.

24hrs before the company announced it was closing for business, none of its employees knew a thing.   Advertisments were still in the newspaper, employees prepped for the next days work etc etc.
    The only time a company announces ahead of time that they are going out of business is if they have a lot of inventory to sell (furniture stores, car dealerships etc).   Service companies just close up shop.

While this may be generally true in the business world, the history of MMOs hasn't borne this out. Generally speaking, when an MMO company closes its doors, there is a grace preiod where players are told "servers will come down at X time on X date".

That being said, WISH, which was in Beta at the time of closure, closed shop in much the same way that you mention.

That is true.. I followed both UOX and Wish (was a mod there even) and they both were closed down instantly.  Games like Earth and Beyond had a grace period of about 4 months. 

I guess the point I was trying to make is that just because they are talking about future additions to the game today, doesn't mean tomorrow we might not get word that the game is closing its doors.

I don't know why some people don't understand this.  It's not about hate or being bitter.  I like to analyze financial data and make projections.  I play the stock market and really the money I make is almost secondary to the fun I get from just playing it.( I have a good paying real job,  my investment income isn't needed)  Think of it this way.. how many people spend an hour doing a very challenging soduko?  What is the purpose in that?

Funcom is an excellent company to 'play' with because it's revenue stream is basically AOC.. it's also interesting because we can get secondary data from sites like amazon.com and xfire and try to weave them into our predictions.   It's also a very clean intersection between two of my biggest hobbies.. the stock market, and MMORPGs.

Well exactly.  I really would like to reiterate that I hold zero animosity towards Funcom or the product.  I had fun while I played until they went nerf crazy.  This is something entirely different.  Analyzing Funcom is the biggest game of sleuth and detective I have perhaps ever played and I'll admit it is a rare treat.  There are so many things to measure and to analyze and to prognosticate about.  

And if a hobby is fun...should someone not continue? :) 

And I also agree with the intersection of hobbies.  I do NOT have time to play MMOs anymore...even when I did play them I did not have the time (the last time i actually had the time was in university).  So this is a suitable replacement.

• orzoorzo Member Posts: 269

So the Better Business Bureau shouldnt exist either? What? When people are treated badly they want revenge, to warn others and to tell the world.  Its human nature.

Some people are like slinkies, they dont really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Yes Orzo i like single player games, when i feel like some mindless shooting crysis is great fun, hit god mode and unlimited ammo and it is even more fun :)

And whell don't look to much on my xfire numbers, i just reinstalled it 2 weeks ago so the months of eq/ao/eq2/vanguard/wow does not show, my work can take a lot of time and right now i'm on call in my home 24/7 so solo play in an mmo or solo games works nicely.

And the amount of fun is not measured in what level i am