Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is now the right time?

RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

I have just got my main computers intenet back working again after two months. This also effectivly means I have been without an MMO for two months. At this point you can guess my mouth is beginning to water at the mear thought of playing an MMO. I have been looking into EvE and have read many magazine articles recently about the games progression from its humble beginnings. Is now the right time to get into EvE or should I wait a while for another major update?

This is his story....

Comments

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

I cant think of there being a better time to start a game like EvE. There are major expansion twice a year for the most part so as far as that goes you wont be content hungry for long. The game already has a huge depth that goes beyond what a normal MMO goes.

Give the trial a shot and ask all the question you want to ask in the rookie channel. Get to know people and join the ones you have things in comon with. Believe me EvE is a blast if you play it with the right people around you.

Remember the game is open ended so you pick what you want to do, there is nto instant gratification and itl feel a bit slow in the 1st few weeks. But if you get hooked there is no other game like it.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

There's no point in waiting there's no huge expansion to really look forward to beyond Ambulation and who knows then that will be out

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Rehmes

I cant think of there being a better time to start a game like EvE. There are major expansion twice a year for the most part so as far as that goes you wont be content hungry for long. The game already has a huge depth that goes beyond what a normal MMO goes.
    Give the trial a shot and ask all the question you want to ask in the rookie channel. Get to know people and join the ones you have things in comon with. Believe me EvE is a blast if you play it with the right people around you.
    Remember the game is open ended so you pick what you want to do, there is nto instant gratification and itl feel a bit slow in the 1st few weeks. But if you get hooked there is no other game like it.

The Main reason I have landed on EvE as my next MMO is because of how Complex the game is said to be. I also have read two articles recently which talk about the game as almost a "Virtual Nation" with its own set of laws and rules set by the people.

This is his story....

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Once upon a time (and not very long ago, either) I would've told you it's always a good time to try out EVE.  Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.  They're in the process of testing a patch that will completely eliminate any possibility of solo PvP in anything larger than a frigate and make small group PvP nigh impossible as well.  It's also making battleships, the largest and most powerful conventional ships in the game, largely useless and completely eliminating quite a few playstyles, all in one fell swoop.

So...no, I wouldn't bother joining EVE right now.  This change and others currently being tested for bugs have all the hallmarks of SWG's CU or NGE so far (rapid, massive change to gameplay that makes the game unrecognizable and unplayable, eliminating the worth of years of character development in the blink of an eye).

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

Oh wrayeth stop your whining. The nano change is very much needed, it's not a nerf, it's balancing. If the only solution to "I wanna be uber solo" is nano then you really need to look around a bit. Yes the game will change because of it but new strategies will emerge, besides if you waint to point fingers WHY it's getting nerfed point at the nanopilots themselves.

BS's will still be useful, I really don't see a difference. They just won't be solo pwn machines (as Oveur stated years ago).

To the OP; it's always a good time to start because once you get the EVE fever you can't help but be annoyed that you didn't start years earlier :) Put in effort, use your brains and forget the old MMO mantras; this game caters to the prepared and the smart; not neccesarily the old and wealthy.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by Soraellion

To the OP; it's always a good time to start because once you get the EVE fever you can't help but be annoyed that you didn't start years earlier :) Put in effort, use your brains and forget the old MMO mantras; this game caters to the prepared and the smart; not neccesarily the old and wealthy.

This! 

That's what I love about EVE.  It rewards those who think as much as it awards time in game.

Well this game does cater to the wealthy. If you are a multi-billionaire, you can afford outrageous luxuries like +5 Implants, Titans, Dreads, t2 rigs, and all that jazz. You can also afford the loss of said items over and over. Not only that, you can also afford to purchase all the characters you want as well and burn ISK wardeccing everyone under the sun

The only reason though to really hesitate are the obvious factors that you will soon discover after reading startup guides.

Wealth buys you stuff, but it doesn't stop you from losing them or being a tool.

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

I have the game currently downloading unfortunatly I am still getting some trouble with my wireless but I think I discovered the problem (Had the wireless telephone next to the computer so it was interferring with the connection). I have read through this small guide. http://www.bellumaeternus.com/MediaWiki/EVE/Startup_Guide Is there a more formal one I could find, or a more in depth guide anywhere?

This is his story....

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Wrayeth

Once upon a time (and not very long ago, either) I would've told you it's always a good time to try out EVE.  Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.  They're in the process of testing a patch that will completely eliminate any possibility of solo PvP in anything larger than a frigate and make small group PvP nigh impossible as well.  It's also making battleships, the largest and most powerful conventional ships in the game, largely useless and completely eliminating quite a few playstyles, all in one fell swoop.
    So...no, I wouldn't bother joining EVE right now.  This change and others currently being tested for bugs have all the hallmarks of SWG's CU or NGE so far (rapid, massive change to gameplay that makes the game unrecognizable and unplayable, eliminating the worth of years of character development in the blink of an eye).

Are you crazy? those big ass ships were never intended to move that fast, it needs to be done so stop your bitching.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by Roosevelt

I have the game currently downloading unfortunatly I am still getting some trouble with my wireless but I think I discovered the problem (Had the wireless telephone next to the computer so it was interferring with the connection). I have read through this small guide. http://www.bellumaeternus.com/MediaWiki/EVE/Startup_Guide Is there a more formal one I could find, or a more in depth guide anywhere?

You're best off to check the newbie forums http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=3509

There's a sticky with a bunch of guides and all that and you can ofcourse skim through the threads posted there, but EVE is unlike any other game in this respect; it doesn't tell you what to do or how to do it, you'll have to put in effort to find out yourself.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

I have the game currently downloading unfortunatly I am still getting some trouble with my wireless

If you have problems with the download breaking up, you could try using the built in BITS protocol (windows-thing). That's a torrent-esque (yes i made that word up) protocol which should download relatively fast and can recover easily if connection breaks up.

By the way, the tutorial is quite lengthy. You don't need to read that much before you step in.

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

Riiiiiiiight.........

I suppose your one of those people that though Phoons should do 5k m/s ++++ before the inert stabs nerf too?

Come on, the only thing they are doing is fixing something that shouldnt have happened to begin with. The ships meant to go fast will still go fast the ones that shouldnt have wont.....i dont see an issue here.

And for the record i fly matar ships only and have flows nano ships for a long time now. Even im not whining at this obvious imbalance fix.

That one seemed fine; I'd suggest trying to find guides on official forums under "Skills" section if you are into min/max

Guess I am responding too late now

If you are a min/max'er I'd suggest a low CHA character. Get Charisma down real low. The devs have not made high CHA worth getting. Caldari Achura and Amarr Cyberknights are really excellent new races that are good for new players. Will allow you to train SPs faster then vets. I made the mistake and went Gallente and regretted it ever since. You can always train up learning skills and put on implants to get CHA decent enough for trader anyway I'd think. Wholesaler is a light tree in comparison to Titan for example

Try to get into EVE University channel they can help you too ingame. The rookie corp was really helpful too me when I was a noob too

Be careful; fly safe. Hope you enjoy the game.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Um...to those of you who thought I meant I supported nano: HELL NO.  I was absolutely ecstatic when they announced nanos were being nerfed.  Hell, I'd still be happy if it weren't for the fact that warp scramblers completely shut off MWD, in essence crippling whatever ship they're used on.  Oh, and webs got nerfed far too hard - 75% webs would've been fine, but 60% is a death sentence for any BS.

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Now is a great time to come back! They are about to release an outstanding expansion pack in november that wiill le t you leave your ship and add even more content! :)

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Um...to those of you who thought I meant I supported nano: HELL NO.  I was absolutely ecstatic when they announced nanos were being nerfed.  Hell, I'd still be happy if it weren't for the fact that warp scramblers completely shut off MWD, in essence crippling whatever ship they're used on.  Oh, and webs got nerfed far too hard - 75% webs would've been fine, but 60% is a death sentence for any BS.

What are you even talking about then? The only upcoming nerf is nano.

-------------------------

• RasmusLRasmusL Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Netzoko

Those changes are all part of the "Nano-nerf".

You are able to try it out on Singularity. (The test server)

LOL

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271
    Originally posted by PatchDay

LOL

He made a post crying about the new nerf, then he said he likes the nerf. It doesn't make any sense.

-------------------------

LOL

He made a post crying about the new nerf, then he said he likes the nerf. It doesn't make any sense.

His post makes sense but I really don't want to discuss those changes right now. I'm tired + I don't want to discourage new players. Just trust us- his post makes some sense. I personally have no say on that matter right now

• ThatimThatim Member Posts: 240

LOL

His post makes sense but I really don't want to discuss those changes right now. I'm tired + I don't want to discourage new players. Just trust us- his post makes some sense. I personally have no say on that matter right now

Stop trolling and whining. If you think stuff is that bad, chancel your subscription.

I am pretty sure both of you guys are people who find themself highly skilled ingame. But if you just got a tad of skill, you wouldn't be whining here, but playing the game, and ain't careing about the whines.

To the OP, I just started to, for 1 month ago. I have one suggestion, and that is, try to make up your mind of what becomming as soon as possible. I for example made a new character this weekend, who is beeing a pirate. 2 Hour after greating it, I was already in Sniggwaffe, a awesome pirate corp, who will teach you the ropes of pirating.

When you made up your mind, leave EvE universtiy, and look for a decent corp. This will help you alot. It will even makes it up  clear if you like or don't like that part of EvE online.

Oh and one last thing, don't get burned up on the missions. I did it on the first 2 trials, as I come from MMOs where missions where important, and they are rather boring. There is WAY more ingame then warping and shooting a few rats.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

LOL

just curious, you three that responded... where are you getting your information?  and did you actually read what he typed?

this isn't wow, you're expected to keep up.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by Thatim

LOL

Stop trolling and whining. If you think stuff is that bad, chancel your subscription.

I am pretty sure both of you guys are people who find themself highly skilled ingame. But if you just got a tad of skill, you wouldn't be whining here, but playing the game, and ain't careing about the whines.

To the OP, I just started to, for 1 month ago. I have one suggestion, and that is, try to make up your mind of what becomming as soon as possible. I for example made a new character this weekend, who is beeing a pirate. 2 Hour after greating it, I was already in Sniggwaffe, a awesome pirate corp, who will teach you the ropes of pirating.

When you made up your mind, leave EvE universtiy, and look for a decent corp. This will help you alot. It will even makes it up  clear if you like or don't like that part of EvE online.

Oh and one last thing, don't get burned up on the missions. I did it on the first 2 trials, as I come from MMOs where missions where important, and they are rather boring. There is WAY more ingame then warping and shooting a few rats.

You must have horrible reading comprehension how was that post a whine? Ah, a 1 month old chracter you probably have no idea what the test server even is

What the patch does (will do) is take away power and soloability from BS and give some back to smaller ships. That either means that BS's cant really go on a solo/small BS gang killing spree like they're used to and it advocates more diversity in gangs.

So instead of everyone being a DPS warrior you now also need CC, support and other classes. Welcome to balance.