Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't hate the gankers, I hate the pacifists!

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Tonight I wanted to settle down for a couple of hours grinding out level 71 in AoC (in the noble district).

As i made my way through the district to a villa I was jumped by 2 level 80 SCUM members (notorious ganking guild).  Ok I took that one on the chin and I tried galloping through the next time and managed to break through but stupidly took a wrong turn and got cornered and chopped. 

So why don't I hate the gankers?  I noticed about 4 other players (some level 70 like me and a couple of 50's) trying to run the SCUM gauntlet.  I tried to speak with them and suggest grouping rather than run in one at a time..only one joined up.  So I saw people in global chat asking for help and there were a couple of smart responses but overall no one came because everyone was frightened of 2 freakin level 80 players.  Not only that but the usual cry of 'Petition a GM' was broadcasted and the usual moaning about gankers ruining the game.  I disagree.

Its all you pacifists who are too gutless and stupid to realise that if you group just 3-4 players you would own the gankers!

One of my key hates in any game is seeing just 1-3 gankers causing panic when the solution is so simple.  Its not the Gankers ruining the game its the rest of us who decide to do nothing about it. 

I am leveling and assassin and I am going to spend my whole time camping the gankers.  Far as I can tell no one else will! 

Comments

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525

People get too much served to them in MMOs. Seriously, i recall a case in WoW where some rogues repeatedly ganked the auctioneers. All the lazy bastards did was petition a GM. Their advantage was 50:1 and they had guards on their side but instead they kept QQ-ing in trade chat.

MMOs are supposed to be less like arcade games, and more like player-run virtual worlds. In which player interaction is a major factor and dealing with it is your responsibility. There are too much restrictions, and most of them are asked for by the customers themselves.

I have the clear picture of those "players" just sitting with an angry face and folded hands in front of the PC screaming "ENTERTAIN ME, I PAID".

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."
  • Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

To be quite honest I'd rather just stand by and watch people get ganked than have the hassle of a corpse run and repair bills for no reason whatsoever. I realise that sounds like the worst possible attitude, but at least it's honest. It's just bad luck for the person that got jumped - nothing to do with me.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Why? 

The point isn't because it's fun the gank, the fun part is seeing peoples reactions.  People grouping up to kill you would be infinitly fun, it's not like there's a death penalty that you have to worry about.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• VanpryVanpry Member Posts: 152

Well when I played AoC that is usually how I handled gankers.  Some people should be on FFA servers.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by paulscott

Why? 
    The point isn't because it's fun the gank, the fun part is seeing peoples reactions.  People grouping up to kill you would be infinitly fun, it's not like there's a death penalty that you have to worry about.

the highlighted part explains why you (the OP) dont mind getting ganked over and over.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

There are no ganks in AoC, it's called "free teleport".

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Don't hate the players - hate the poor game design.

Levels have no place in a PvP game.

Classes have no place in a PvP game.

Epic gear has no place in a PvP game unless it can be looted.

CC that prevents a player from doing anything to protect themselves before they die; has no place in a PvP game.

If you are going to have players fight each other you at least have to give each of them a fighting chance.

I'm surprised that they don't just give players an instant win button after a certain point of grinding, considering that what they have now, it amounts to the same thing.

It's almost as if they design games based on tradition and not by reason.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

Originally posted by Wickersham

I will disagree here. The difference between PvP in FPS and PvP in MMORPGs has always been progression, if you put them all in even grounds from the beggining to the end, you kill the progression on the game and you get a 100% pvp dependant game, where people will stay bored unless they find people to play against. I think that good pvp MMORPGs mix progression with PvP, so you want to advance, get better gear and finish your quest? okay, try beating me before.
    CC that prevents a player from doing anything to protect themselves before they die; has no place in a PvP game.
    Agreed.
    If you are going to have players fight each other you at least have to give each of them a fighting chance.
    Way too restrictive, if someone wants to zerg you down with an entire party, seamless worlds will always allow them to do so.
    I'm surprised that they don't just give players an instant win button after a certain point of grinding, considering that what they have now, it amounts to the same thing.

I think that PvP games should have consequences on loss and on victories, so it gets somehow regulated by the players themselves.

Okay, I want all these mobs for me, but this guy here might be higher level than me and own me, getting me a huge gold/xp/any kind of progression loss, should I attack him, or should I just go away and find other mobs?

In games with limited progression, people will jump no matter what, cause there's little to loose and e-peen to win, instant gratification, goes against hardcore enviroments and adrenaline rushes, some basics of the real pvp in MMORPGs.

Insta win buttons are terrible, however, there must be a reason to get out of town for your daily progression, and getting better chances at pvp by going out sounds like a good one, otherwise, you get battleground like pvp or pre arranged pvp, nothing spontaneous. So, while insta win buttons are terrible, advantages on pvp by progressing sound like a good excuse to leave towns and be exposed to the risk.

Full loot is a good consequence in PvP games, regulates the PvP as long as there is a certain degree on gear importance, you can't go out naked and defeat people looting them, you should put your dollars in the table before taking the poker enemy ones, so gear must make a difference, and aiming at better gear should be part of this PvP will.

That's how I see it.

Originally posted by Ephimero

I think that PvP games should have consequences on loss and on victories, so it gets somehow regulated by the players themselves.
    Okay, I want all these mobs for me, but this guy here might be higher level than me and own me, getting me a huge gold/xp/any kind of progression loss, should I attack him, or should I just go away and find other mobs?
    Why do you want to attack that mob?  What is your motive?  To level?  Or does that mob have something you can sell to crafters?  Why is that other guy out there?  Is he looting?  You wont know if you can beat him until you engage him...
    In games with limited progression, people will jump no matter what, cause there's little to loose and e-peen to win, instant gratification, goes against hardcore enviroments and adrenaline rushes, some basics of the real pvp in MMORPGs.
    Here is something simple:  If I attack you and lose - you get to hold my body for ransom for a % of my total wealth earned per week.  If I make 100 gold per week than you are eligable to a portion of it.  That would encourage people to think long and hard before they attack someone, especially if it is going to run them into a deficit.  It will also encourage people to hold onto a portion of their wealth and discourage gold buying.  I guess twinking would be an issue but i'm sure gear binding armor would solve a lot of that.
    Insta win buttons are terrible, however, there must be a reason to get out of town for your daily progression, and getting better chances at pvp by going out sounds like a good one, otherwise, you get battleground like pvp or pre arranged pvp, nothing spontaneous. So, while insta win buttons are terrible, advantages on pvp by progressing sound like a good excuse to leave towns and be exposed to the risk.
    There are plenty of things to encourage people to leave safety:  EVE is a good example of the reasons.  All you need is a MacGuffin and they are not hard to come by.
    Full loot is a good consequence in PvP games, regulates the PvP as long as there is a certain degree on gear importance, you can't go out naked and defeat people looting them, you should put your dollars in the table before taking the poker enemy ones, so gear must make a difference, and aiming at better gear should be part of this PvP will.
    I agree gear should be important for damage and damage mitigation but it should grant a only a slim fighting advantage against another player with a weapon and suit of armor.  The difference between armor should be mostly how the armor looks (e-peen). 
    That's how I see it.

It is my belief that player ability should out shine everything else in a PvP game.

As far as motivating players goes:  every game invented has that covered - all you need to do is incoroprate them into the MMORPG.  Even Pac-Man had the ability to show your skill with something as simple as a high score list.  Other Multiplayer games grant you medals and titles.  Still others grant you access to special content.  The only thing grinding does is delay you from finding out the game doesn't have a proper end game except more grinding...bah!

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

To be quite honest I'd rather just stand by and watch people get ganked than have the hassle of a corpse run and repair bills for no reason whatsoever. I realise that sounds like the worst possible attitude, but at least it's honest. It's just bad luck for the person that got jumped - nothing to do with me.

omg I lol'ed so hard at this.... That sounds very selfish too me. I'm the type of guy that would try to jump in and help if we got a shot. funny post tho

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Wish someone like you would design a PvP MMO and fire those wannabe-designers that keep cranking out EQ clones where pvpers can be rooted, stunned, snared, feared, and all that other stupid stuff

Why do you want to attack that mob?  What is your motive?  To level?  Or does that mob have something you can sell to crafters?  Why is that other guy out there?  Is he looting?  You wont know if you can beat him until you engage him...
    I want to attack that mob for my personal progression, so I might want to take a risk and try killing the other guy just so my progression can go better, this is regulation, I take the risk for a greater good.

Here is something simple:  If I attack you and lose - you get to hold my body for ransom for a % of my total wealth earned per week.  If I make 100 gold per week than you are eligable to a portion of it.  That would encourage people to think long and hard before they attack someone, especially if it is going to run them into a deficit.  It will also encourage people to hold onto a portion of their wealth and discourage gold buying.  I guess twinking would be an issue but i'm sure gear binding armor would solve a lot of that.
    That could lead to a severe inflation, when gold loses value I mean, it's like asking: What do you prefer, a gold farmers paradise or a dead economy? This inflation would lead to a even less rewarding kill, and a meaningless death.
    There are plenty of things to encourage people to leave safety:  EVE is a good example of the reasons.  All you need is a MacGuffin and they are not hard to come by.
    Can you explain this in a non eve example? Haven't played that game enough (tried to, but my old computer wouldn't run it back when I was interested).
    I agree gear should be important for damage and damage mitigation but it should grant a only a slim fighting advantage against another player with a weapon and suit of armor.  The difference between armor should be mostly how the armor looks (e-peen). 
    That's a good point, looks progression, might be a way to start from, not sure if "hardcore" players would be really involved with it though. 

It is my belief that player ability should out shine everything else in a PvP game.

Let's say I agree with you here, but still find it compatible with progression, small upgrades, yet important enough to look after, it also plays with accomplishement. The best times I've had in PvP were when I was victorious against all odds, people outgearing me and kissing the floor, a party of 18 people dying to my 13 men group, if everything was even, the accomplishement feeling would be smaller, the bragging rights would also be smaller.

As far as motivating players goes:  every game invented has that covered - all you need to do is incoroprate them into the MMORPG.  Even Pac-Man had the ability to show your skill with something as simple as a high score list.  Other Multiplayer games grant you medals and titles.  Still others grant you access to special content.  The only thing grinding does is delay you from finding out the game doesn't have a proper end game except more grinding...bah!

Also, one thing to consider, gear/level becomes even less important in massive enviroments.

• WRyanWRyan Member Posts: 266

I have to agree with this post, but in my own defense, I usually have a perfectly reasonable reason why I never do anything about the gankers.

I'm a slow leveler.  I've coem to realise this about myself.  If ever there was an opposite end of the spectrum to the power leveler, it is me.  This sometimes makes it hard for me to group with people (my brother especially), because I actually like to explore, read the quests, and just soak it all in - but whatever.  I level very slowly.  I've never felt like I needed to keep up with the Joneses, or be the first to <enter objective>.  MMO's are marathons, not sprints.

As a result, I usually am way behind the curve as far as leveling goes.  If I start the same time as someone else, I'll be level 20 while they're hitting 50.  So, usually, when I get ganked, it's by some guys who are so far above my level... even if I joined in a fight to rid the zone of them, I would be completely usesless, and would be completely pointless for me to even engage.

HOWEVER!  I am not one to sit and let someone within 5 levels of me gank an area.  I do have a backbone, when I know there is a possible chance with minimal help from at least one or two others.  So I can relate to this topic completely.

But usually, the way games are designed these days, anything more than 3 levels above you, they have such a huge advantage in the fight.  It really does suck in this way.  One day I hope to make a game where a veteran character can still be killed by a noob character.  Not easily, just possibly.  And not one of those "slim chance" possibility - a viable possibility.

Why?  Because gankers do suck, and people who don't want to fight back suck even more... but not being able to do a damn thing about it sucks worst of all.

Originally posted by Ephimero

Let's say I agree with you here, but still find it compatible with progression, small upgrades, yet important enough to look after, it also plays with accomplishement. The best times I've had in PvP were when I was victorious against all odds, people outgearing me and kissing the floor, a party of 18 people dying to my 13 men group, if everything was even, the accomplishement feeling would be smaller, the bragging rights would also be smaller.

Also, one thing to consider, gear/level becomes even less important in massive enviroments.

Why does progression only need to involve XP gain?

Doom had you looking for keys, Donkey Kong had content unlocks, Daggerfall had reputation changes, Super Mario collected stars, and Rangers in SWG collected meat, hide, and bone.

Okay, how about this...players choose their combat skills right from the start and work on  a profession ingame like farming, mining, crafting, bounty hunting, thieving, trading, spying, governing, mayoring, entertaining, hunting, cooking, ...

Why does the economy need to be player run?

Why not have NPCs handle all sales?  Players still need to sell items to the NPCs in order for them to be resold back to other players but each item is regulated and governed overall by the system and maybe items availability.  So maybe players can become traders...  They buy goods for one price and head to another zone to sell those goods for a small profit (a reason for them to leave safety with wealth on them).

"Also, one thing to consider, gear/level becomes even less important in massive enviroments."

I agree, but last I checked very few MMORPGs had collective player interests, so players are pretty much working alone towards their own interests.  There are some exceptions and I'd like to see a hell of a lot more come out.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by WRyan

I have to agree with this post, but in my own defense, I usually have a perfectly reasonable reason why I never do anything about the gankers.
    I'm a slow leveler.  I've coem to realise this about myself.  If ever there was an opposite end of the spectrum to the power leveler, it is me.  This sometimes makes it hard for me to group with people (my brother especially), because I actually like to explore, read the quests, and just soak it all in - but whatever.  I level very slowly.  I've never felt like I needed to keep up with the Joneses, or be the first to <enter objective>.  MMO's are marathons, not sprints.
    As a result, I usually am way behind the curve as far as leveling goes.  If I start the same time as someone else, I'll be level 20 while they're hitting 50.  So, usually, when I get ganked, it's by some guys who are so far above my level... even if I joined in a fight to rid the zone of them, I would be completely usesless, and would be completely pointless for me to even engage.
    HOWEVER!  I am not one to sit and let someone within 5 levels of me gank an area.  I do have a backbone, when I know there is a possible chance with minimal help from at least one or two others.  So I can relate to this topic completely.
    But usually, the way games are designed these days, anything more than 3 levels above you, they have such a huge advantage in the fight.  It really does suck in this way.  One day I hope to make a game where a veteran character can still be killed by a noob character.  Not easily, just possibly.  And not one of those "slim chance" possibility - a viable possibility.
    Why?  Because gankers do suck, and people who don't want to fight back suck even more... but not being able to do a damn thing about it sucks worst of all.

I hear you WRyan on this as well.  I tend to play a game out and enjoy it slowly.  However I am not directing my criticism at people who will be killed out right but more at the players who are at the appropriate level but hide away because they might get hurt.  I can understand hesitation in EVE because dying in that game really sucks and can be a real money drainer but in most games like AoC the penalty is nominal. 

Worst still players who were trying to do something about the gankers just ran in one by one....ffs does anyone have any concept of teaming up and creating a real force? 

On another note in some ways I like the fact there are SCUM like guilds out there because as I posted in my first post I am leveling an assassin to camp the campers and answer calls of help.  I tend to do this in most games such as Jumpgate, EvE, Neocron & Vanguard.  Great satisfaction indeed