Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FINALLY hit 50! So what now?

Been playing this game off and on since SWG took a nosedive, and only now I've gotten my first 50 (Martial Arts/Ninjitsu Stalker)

So, since lvl 46+ has been basically doorsitting while others farm, what is there really to do? Aside from badges, I can't see much incentive to keep playing my 50.

Except for PvP, which is damn annoying unless I  "cheat" and use inspirations, or "God"-powers such as Kuji-In Retsu and accolades like Demonic Aura. The rest of the time I'm chasing someone down or I inadveratenly Assassin Strike an AFK or someone who was typing (their fault for standing still? bah!) I don't want to use Teleport Foe, since that seems pretty cheap.

This Halloween Trick-or-Treating is kind of neat, since you can get purple recipes if you farm enough but that'll end soon.

After that, and aside from PvP, what is there to do in this game?

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. The sheer number of different people you run into with their unique abilities is amazing. But after 50, what incentives are there to team anymore?

Also, I'm in a small (read: tiny) VG and I don't want to abandon ship at this point.

Comments

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by darkstar2k

Been playing this game off and on since SWG took a nosedive, and only now I've gotten my first 50 (Martial Arts/Ninjitsu Stalker)
    So, since lvl 46+ has been basically doorsitting while others farm, what is there really to do? Aside from badges, I can't see much incentive to keep playing my 50.
    Except for PvP, which is damn annoying unless I  "cheat" and use inspirations, or "God"-powers such as Kuji-In Retsu and accolades like Demonic Aura. The rest of the time I'm chasing someone down or I inadveratenly Assassin Strike an AFK or someone who was typing (their fault for standing still? bah!) I don't want to use Teleport Foe, since that seems pretty cheap.
    This Halloween Trick-or-Treating is kind of neat, since you can get purple recipes if you farm enough but that'll end soon.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this game. The sheer number of different people you run into with their unique abilities is amazing. But after 50, what incentives are there to team anymore?
    Also, I'm in a small (read: tiny) VG and I don't want to abandon ship at this point.

Re-roll, of course! Now you have the option of a VEAT too.

• DhakarDhakar Member Posts: 24

I like doing all the Taskforces when I reach lvl 50, look for badges and get those accolades, get some awesome IO sets and  of course make use of that new class you can now choose.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Well first of all, this isn't WoW.

Second of all, this... isn't World of Warcraft.

"Endgame" as it is commonly refered to is a concept introduced by that game. It involves a considerable time investment for limited or no reward. Meaning you could be raiding forever and never get the specific piece of gear you think you need.

In this game, hitting 50 means a few things:

first of all your character won't gain xp anymore, that part is finished. If you like leveling a toon to the maximum level you might want to roll a new one.

Also at 50 you get access to various epic archtypes (veat=villain epic archtype). Those classes are interesting to play and are worth exploring.

Even if you already have a 50 brute you are still free to explore other power pools, even if it's still a brute.

Some ppl will hold a sentimental value to their 50 toons and keep playing em doing task forces or strike forces. The ITF will more often than not recruit lvl 50s only. Those challenges reward you with badges accolades and costume equipment.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by pussaykat

Well first of all, this isn't WoW.
    Second of all, this... isn't World of Warcraft.
    "Endgame" as it is commonly refered to is a concept introduced by that game. It involves a considerable time investment for limited or no reward. Meaning you could be raiding forever and never get the specific piece of gear you think you need.
    In this game, hitting 50 means a few things:
    first of all your character won't gain xp anymore, that part is finished. If you like leveling a toon to the maximum level you might want to roll a new one.
    Also at 50 you get access to various epic archtypes (veat=villain epic archtype). Those classes are interesting to play and are worth exploring.
    Even if you already have a 50 brute you are still free to explore other power pools, even if it's still a brute.
    Some ppl will hold a sentimental value to their 50 toons and keep playing em doing task forces or strike forces. The ITF will more often than not recruit lvl 50s only. Those challenges reward you with badges accolades and costume equipment.

you're partially right about 'end game'.  eq introduced that foolishness (which both pardo and kaplan were rabid players), and wow copied it.

i'll piggy back on the post-50 stuff to do.

i could say work on epic sets, or accolades, or heck even to go make and get a crab spider to 50...  but i won't.

do what's fun.  build a base, flashback and redo arcs you missed, redo arcs where you didn't read the story, do SFs where you didn't read the story, take some new players under your wing and mal down to their level or lackey one of them... treat the person like a real sidekick (i wouldn't treat them like a lackey, they probably wouldn't care for that much).

the biggest thing with this game, or any other,   is to not let it be a job and TO have fun!

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by darkstar2k

i just realized what you'd posted.... so for the last 4 levels you just leeched?

after re-reading the whole of the quoted... i don't think i understand what you're asking for; because your first 50 was gained from doing nothing... no SFs, no story arcs, no GM hunting, etc... just sitting at doors leeching.

so grats on leeching your way to your first 50?

maybe your vg should coalition with others?  i'm sure there's plenty of vgs around that look for people to doorsit and such.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• WRyanWRyan Member Posts: 266

CoX was a fun game.  It has the best game design as far as mechanics are concerned, out of any other MMO I've ever played.  And for someone like me to say that... that's saying a lot.  Not that I'm someone special - but I'm usually extremely picky about stuff.

That said, CoX also had some of the worst game diversity of any game I've ever played.  In a nutshell, the grind to 50 was and is quite honestly, horrendous once you get to the latter levels.  Doing the same missions over and over and over and over.  I mean... it's not just that - it's the same environments over and over and over.  Sure, there is great story there - but after a while, you end up skipping a lot of it that seems rather uninteresting.

Anyway, the "end-game" you speak of, doesn't exist unless you reroll, or fancy one of the niche programs going on int he game, like taskforces and collecting stuff.  Personally, I need more substance with my end-game, and no I don't mean Raids.

This is one of the reasons why I think in-game commerce and economy is so important.  Understandably, for a game like CoX to have either is rather beside the point, but it also has a feeling of ownership in the game, unless you are dealing with bases and such - which... unless you are a SG/VG leader or LT, you don't really have anything to do with anyhow.

I also think there was a problem with pacing in the game, but that's just me.

Here's hoping Champions Online will get this part right - because the rest of CoX was so spot on.

Originally posted by WRyan

CoX was a fun game.  It has the best game design as far as mechanics are concerned, out of any other MMO I've ever played.  And for someone like me to say that... that's saying a lot.  Not that I'm someone special - but I'm usually extremely picky about stuff.
    That said, CoX also had some of the worst game diversity of any game I've ever played.  In a nutshell, the grind to 50 was and is quite honestly, horrendous once you get to the latter levels.  Doing the same missions over and over and over and over.  I mean... it's not just that - it's the same environments over and over and over.  Sure, there is great story there - but after a while, you end up skipping a lot of it that seems rather uninteresting.
    Anyway, the "end-game" you speak of, doesn't exist unless you reroll, or fancy one of the niche programs going on int he game, like taskforces and collecting stuff.  Personally, I need more substance with my end-game, and no I don't mean Raids.
    This is one of the reasons why I think in-game commerce and economy is so important.  Understandably, for a game like CoX to have either is rather beside the point, but it also has a feeling of ownership in the game, unless you are dealing with bases and such - which... unless you are a SG/VG leader or LT, you don't really have anything to do with anyhow.
    I also think there was a problem with pacing in the game, but that's just me.
    Here's hoping Champions Online will get this part right - because the rest of CoX was so spot on.

so the multiple portal story arcs (technician naylor), with all the outdoor missions? rescuing olivia darque form the shadow shard? the rikti war zone arcs and tf?  cimemora and it's couple of story arcs and tf? ouroboros and it's tfs?  where do you run into those environments earlier on?

that's in addition to just running paper missions and the story arcs from the *normal* contacts (there's the johnny sonata arc where you end up fighting demons in his mind or hell or something... that's a different environment off the top of my head).  the "latter levels" are when you actually start getting to see new "stuff".

and i'm sorry, but i'm not sure what your post is saying.  there is a market ingame.  there's ways to get specific recipes, or you can just take the random drops.  there's a big market for purples and uniques.  you can make a bundle of cash off of salvage as well.

i am not certain what you're talking about here.

• Peter1992tPeter1992t Member Posts: 5

Well... From what I know? Not much is in  store for you past 50... That's why I'm only palying this untill Jan 22nd...

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by Peter1992t

Well... From what I know? Not much is in  store for you past 50... That's why I'm only palying this untill Jan 22nd...

Can I have your stuff?

just...

1 shadow shard and it's missions/tfs/etc  ooo it's a new dimension and feels all alien and dread dormammu'esque

2 ritki war zone, story arcs, LGTF, momship raid... lots of mean ole aliens to beat on.

3 good ole hami raiding!

4 flashback via orouborous and relive any missed content. unlike other games, you do not ever "miss" content. and while that level, you get level appropriate loot, which means you can get some very valuable salvage that your lvl 50 won't get off lvl 50+ mobs, or some low level proc recipes which are both very useful and sell for millions.

5 go to cimerora and do the ITF, and mission arcs there

6 collect rare/purple enhancements for your characters and make them super uber

7 play in any of the pvp zones, or *gag* the arena

8 build up your hero/villain base

9 collect badges

10 do the hero/villain oroborous TFs

11 go back and do any TF/SF you've missed; because the game will automatically adjust your level so you can do the TF/SF... unlike other games, you do not ever "miss" content.  and while that level, you get level appropriate loot, which means you can get some very valuable salvage that your lvl 50 won't get off lvl 50+ mobs, or some low level proc recipes which are both very useful and sell for millions.

12 portal missions... heroside you get to fight the evil version of paragon's heroes in their bizarro world.  you get all sort of outdoor missions in epic arcs where you get to save different realities/universes worlds from horrible things... or maybe villainside, you get to unleash things...

where, in other games... well, i can go and do the same tier 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/etc dungeons 50+ times and YAAAAAAAAAY i get to get the same armor and look as everyone else that's done those dungeons.

yup, my quicklist of things to do post-50 in coh is NOTHING compared to the repetitive, boring, sameness that is "end game" in other games....

edit:  seriously, jan 22nd?   heh, good luck with that.  seriously.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I'm excited for the new season of Lost, too! lol

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

Thanks, Lustmord! I was wondering what happens January 22. Although, depending on who you listen to, the world is gonna end on January 20.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• peter0101NYpeter0101NY Member Posts: 5

it a good game. i'm looking forwar to its wonderful coming back.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Well the first option is obviously make your Villain Epic AT.  It was long awaited and plays very differently from the "squidies" the heroes have.

Run some strikeforces or missions if you want to.  Just because I don't earn xp anymore, doesn't mean I stopped playing my nec/pois MM.  When they added the new missions in Issue 13 he was the first toon I logged in and hopped over there.

Plus you can always work on getting badges or run the Oroboros missions to do story arcs you missed by outleveling.