Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Returning...

Hi, guys.

I'm thinking of trying out LoTRO again.  I played briefly at launch, but was pulled away by other things.   Some of the newer games that I'd been looking forward to turned out to be not so great and I'd like to get into a game that is stable, has a good RP community, and fun gameplay.  I've narrowed my choices down to LoTRO and Vanguard.  I need some help deciding, though.  If you guys could give me some information, it would help a lot.

First, I hear that the character models in LoTRO aren't great.  People complain about the wonky armor colors and animations.  I understand there is an "outfit" system, though.  Could some of you guys post screenshots of your best-looking characters?

A good RP community is important to me, and I'm hoping to find a heavy RP guild.  But it doesn't seem like there is an RP server in LoTRO.  Which server is the unnofficial RP server and how active is the RP community there?

I heard housing was added to the game.  How does it work?  Can you decorate your house at all?  Is it instanced or are there special zones for housing?

Have mounts been added to the game?  Real mounts that you can own and ride anywhere, not just horses on rails.  If so, how expensive are they and what level do you need to be in order to own one?

Is crafting fun and worthwhile?  Do you buy or gather resources?  Is crafting linked to your combat level, or does crafting have its own levels?

Is the game raid-heavy?  Is it possible to solo your way to max level, or will you need to group at all times?  How long does it take to reach max level?   I don't want it to be too easy.

Thanks in advance, guys.  :)

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by JTownJuice

Hi, guys.
    I'm thinking of trying out LoTRO again.  I played briefly at launch, but was pulled away by other things.   Some of the newer games that I'd been looking forward to turned out to be not so great and I'd like to get into a game that is stable, has a good RP community, and fun gameplay.  I've narrowed my choices down to LoTRO and Vanguard.  I need some help deciding, though.  If you guys could give me some information, it would help a lot.

First, I hear that the character models in LoTRO aren't great.  People complain about the wonky armor colors and animations.  I understand there is an "outfit" system, though.  Could some of you guys post screenshots of your best-looking characters?
    Some like the models and some dont... Youcan really make nice looking chars with outfits (and the characters look WAY better than Vanguard in my opinion..)

A good RP community is important to me, and I'm hoping to find a heavy RP guild.  But it doesn't seem like there is an RP server in LoTRO.  Which server is the unnofficial RP server and how active is the RP community there?
    In Europe we get RP-servers but not US... Landroval is the unofical RP-server, dont know how good it is thou but since there is much support for RP in LotrO I can imagine it be pretty good.
    I heard housing was added to the game.  How does it work?  Can you decorate your house at all?  Is it instanced or are there special zones for housing?
    Yes there is housing in instanced homestead with several houses (including kinship-houses)... You can decorate and stuff but its pretty limited since you have to place stuff on hooks sadly
    Have mounts been added to the game?  Real mounts that you can own and ride anywhere, not just horses on rails.  If so, how expensive are they and what level do you need to be in order to own one?
    Yes mounts have been in game since release and you can get one at lvl 35 adn you probably can afford one once you get there... There are also some better horses to get at higher level
    Is crafting fun and worthwhile?  Do you buy or gather resources?  Is crafting linked to your combat level, or does crafting have its own levels?
    I dont like crafting so cant really comment on it... You gather stuff and then you craft stuff and its somewhat tied to your combat level since you have to complete some craftquest to reach some tiers in crafting... The stuff you craft is very good thou and and the best things you can craft are comparable to the best gear in the game
    Is the game raid-heavy?  Is it possible to solo your way to max level, or will you need to group at all times?  How long does it take to reach max level?   I don't want it to be too easy.
     No its not very raid heavy... Only 2 raid (12 man and 24 man) and they are both very accesible. It is possible to solo to level cap but there is alot of group contetn and the Epic quests often require full group to complete. Getting to max level doesnt take very long but there is alot of stuff to keep you ocupied especially with Mines of Moria coming soon (raised cap to 60 + you can level up to 6 Legendary items from lvl 1-50)

You're welcome :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• blindside044blindside044 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by JTownJuice 
    I am too lazy to post screenshots (sorry) but for the most part I would agree that models and armour are not that great. Models could be better but nothing to annoy or bother  me so I really don't care. Bad looking armour/outfits, IMO, outnumber the good ones, but that is not to say good looking armour and outfits are hard to find, you just have find weed through a lot of crappy looking stuff  :P
    I hear the EU version has an official RP server but the US version only has an unofficial one, Landroval. I do not play on that server so I can not say for sure but I have heard good RPing kinships are not hard too find  :)
    I do not own a house as I personally think it's not worth the money (including weekly "rent" >< ) Though a lot of people do own one and enjoying have it, so whatever floats your boat  :D  Yes you can decorate your house; I don't know to what extent though. There are a bunch of different INSTANCED neighborhoods.
    Get your mount, which is a horse, at level 35. You own it after you pay around 4g? (I forget) and you can ride it pretty much anywhere.
    Fun all depends on you. Some people enjoy it and think its worthwhile will others think its too much of a grind collecting materials and prefer dropped armour/items. The better armour/items is usually, not always, dropped in raids and 'harder' areas, so if you dont want or dont like doing that, craft instead as the crafted stuff is pretty good as well. Crafting is linked to its own levels/tiers, NOT with your combat level.
    Not really 'raid-heavy'. There are 2 main raids atm, with another being added with the expansion. There are a good amount of 6-man max-level instances that are very fun and still give you good loot/armour. I haven't tried soloing to max level but a good amount of people have said yes; I would say its close, but there is enough of solo content to reach max level without having to group much, if at all. Reaching max level is actually fairly easy; but really fun... a good amount of focus is on the journey, not the destintion (not to say the destination is terrible :P ) Excellent scenary, atmosphere, and storytelling through quests and epic books...

You're welcome in advance!  :P

• arebareb Member Posts: 144

I just posted some images in my gallery: http://www.mmorpg.com/galleries/areb