Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley responds

13»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Sharkypal

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by Elder_CLOWN

And sorry Efefia or whatever your name is. It is still a sandbox.

SWG has classes. You are stuck within the class you pick. Period. The sandbox element with 32 professions to mix and match is gone.

SWG has mob levels with attached specific loot tables. There is no use in hunting whatever creature you feel like. There was before. Another sandbox element gone out the window.

SWG has quests just like any other MMO. Do quest A, then quest B etc, until you turn blue. No one told you what to do before. Sandbox? Not the slightest.

SWG is drop centric. Did you know it used to be crafter centric? Perhaps you think the freedom  to laugh at any crafter you see ingame is sandboxy?

Its still a big world. You can even build your own house or even a town. Does that make it a sandbox game?

You Sir, could not be more wrong. Do your homework. Please.

I agree, not much sandbox left in SWG anymore. I don't think this guy played pre-cu or even during the CU. I think he started in the NGE because he really has no idea what SOE removed. Even the CU killed alot of freedom, and broke the rest. I think Smed has in his own way just admitted defeat.I find it funny that LEC didn't even wait one month before giving BioWare the go ahead on this new MMO. It really says alot IMHO.

Played since the beginning. Don't start making stuff up just because you don't like my opinion. Like I said before, there is plenty wrong with SWG, I just focus on what I enjoy.

S

We are actually talking on voice right now about how bad taking decay out of the game was. You don't know me half as well as you think you do. The difference between us is that if I felt the way you did, I would move on and do something else.

Thing is I have, been playing other PC games, console games, handheld games like DS dabbled in other MMOs ect. I'm not one of those "make TOR like pre-cu", because that game is dead and gone, like I said I cherrish my memories of the past and that's it. I'm not turned off by the art style of TOR, I'm just gonna wait till launch, buy the game and play it, if I don't like it I'll find something else.

There seems to only be a very small group of vets this time around saying they refuse to even try TOR, but we all know most will give in and try it. Based on what I have heard the last week from people I know well on Bloodfin is that they are planing on at least trying TOR, there is already a lot on the forums there already. Point is this game may hurt SWG no mater how good or bad it is a Smed is preparing him and SOE for it. 

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

SWG has classes. You are stuck within the class you pick. Period. The sandbox element with 32 professions to mix and match is gone.

SWG has mob levels with attached specific loot tables. There is no use in hunting whatever creature you feel like. There was before. Another sandbox element gone out the window.

SWG has quests just like any other MMO. Do quest A, then quest B etc, until you turn blue. No one told you what to do before. Sandbox? Not the slightest.

SWG is drop centric. Did you know it used to be crafter centric? Perhaps you think the freedom  to laugh at any crafter you see ingame is sandboxy?

Its still a big world. You can even build your own house or even a town. Does that make it a sandbox game?

I agree, not much sandbox left in SWG anymore. I don't think this guy played pre-cu or even during the CU. I think he started in the NGE because he really has no idea what SOE removed. Even the CU killed alot of freedom, and broke the rest. I think Smed has in his own way just admitted defeat.I find it funny that LEC didn't even wait one month before giving BioWare the go ahead on this new MMO. It really says alot IMHO.

Played since the beginning. Don't start making stuff up just because you don't like my opinion. Like I said before, there is plenty wrong with SWG, I just focus on what I enjoy.

S

We are actually talking on voice right now about how bad taking decay out of the game was. You don't know me half as well as you think you do. The difference between us is that if I felt the way you did, I would move on and do something else.

Thing is I have, been playing other PC games, console games, handheld games like DS dabbled in other MMOs ect. I'm not one of those "make TOR like pre-cu", because that game is dead and gone, like I said I cherrish my memories of the past and that's it. I'm not turned off by the art style of TOR, I'm just gonna wait till launch, buy the game and play it, if I don't like it I'll find something else.

There seems to only be a very small group of vets this time around saying they refuse to even try TOR, but we all know most will give in and try it. Based on what I have heard the last week from people I know well on Bloodfin is that they are planing on at least trying TOR, there is already a lot on the forums there already. Point is this game may hurt SWG no mater how good or bad it is a Smed is preparing him and SOE for it. 

In all honesty, I was going to try TOR until I saw the concept art and stuff and that has put me off. If it arrives and everyone says it is the best thing since sliced bread, I may well cave and try it but my intention as of right now is to steer clear.

S

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

S

In all honesty, I was going to try TOR until I saw the concept art and stuff and that has put me off. If it arrives and everyone says it is the best thing since sliced bread, I may well cave and try it but my intention as of right now is to steer clear.

S

Best thing for everyone to do is to try the trial when it's done..  I love the current ideas and plans even though they are sketchy and just the foundation so far, but i certainly will not be buying or pre-ordering it..  I got burned before 2x in fact, never again.

Pre-ordering should only be done if you are a super fan, or just want the pre-order item. If the game begins to look better I may consider doing a pre-order or SE but only because I like Star Wars: KOTOR enough to want a  SW pre-order item. As for the concept art book, we shall see.

(edit) actually the art isn't that bad, they never showed us this stuff

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/209803

SWG Bloodfin vet

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by Antaran

We think what most Galaxies want to hear, first and foremost from SOE, what the Old Republic announcement means for them. What does the announcement of The Old Republic mean for Star Wars Galaxies players?
    John Smedley: I think since there was no date announced with the game, it's safe to assume it will be released far enough in the future that is not any immediate issue for Galaxies players. We do not know when that game is going to launch, I don't believe they know when that game is going to launch. For the foreseeable future, Galaxies is quite safe. How long that is, I think has more to do with how and when that game comes along.
    At some point we'll make a decision about when and if to sunset Galaxies, but as of right now we don't have any plans to do that.
    Pretty much admitting that SWG is gonna go under within 3-6 months of SW:TOR's release. As for not having plans to sunset Galaxies as of yet all i can say is watch out to it's current players, pretty sure similar things were said about the NGE changes not happening.

No, he didn't pretty much admit that, that's what you'd like to believe.  Realisticly yes, sometime in the future there will be a point where SWG's existance will be questioned.  This could be in 2 years time, it could be in 10 years time.  They're not going to shut it down if it's earning them money.
    From what LucasArts has already said publicly already, they see a scenario where The Old Republic and Star Wars Galaxies are happily co-existing. Is that something SOE is committed to as well?
    John: We would be happy to do that. The question is, is there enough of a subscriptions base for that. I'm anxious to play that game too, I think they're going to make a great game. Is there still going to be a subscriptions base for Galaxies, or will everyone go play the new game? I'd like to think the games are going to be very different and I think that definitely could happen.
    hmmm  admitting SWG might not have enough of a sub base to last perhaps? even Smed himself says he's anxious to play SW:TOR, time to all gank and grief him if PvP is an option lol.
    This was mostly answered above.  As for playing TOR, I imagine it's part of the job to check up on what the competition is doing.
    What is it that you feel SWG offers players, in terms of gameplay and community, that will keep players with the game between now and when The Old Republic is released?
    John: We're going to continue to come out with new content. We have a great live team on that game, we have Hoth coming out and we have plans for beyond that. The team isn't quite ready to announce that yet but we'll continue to make new stuff for the game. That's a player base we very much we want to continue to serve. We want to see it grow larger.
    Hoth from what i saw in a video interview is gonna be nothing short of a raid instance, as for new content added to SWG well, we all know what content he's on about, more junk like the cards thing.
    People that play SWG should already know that yes, Hoth is a Heroic Encounter (instance).  Adding Hoth as a planet in this time period of the game wouldn't work, considering Hoth is chosen as a Rebel base due to it being off the radar of virtually everyone.  Having everyone roam all over it wouldn't fit.  Likewise, re-enacting the battle means it can only end one way - an open planet that everyone can join in on isn't likely to provide that.  If you don't like instances then you're probably not going to like TOR.

After Hoth, we know that Player cities, Guilds, Housing, Droid Engineer, Structures, Domestics and Spy are all recieving updates.  The Droid Engineer update will be a pretty major update as it will be the introduction of Droid Commander.  We do know that there's going to be an expansion for the TCG too.
    How do you feel the relationship between SOE and the SWG playerbase is right now?
    John: I think that it is fair to say we have proven ourselves in the last year or so. We've listened, after making the mistake of doing the NGE, and I think we now have a game that we're all really proud of. We have the game now that I wish we'd launched with. I wish we'd been given the time to make this game. Star Wars Galaxies is an incredible game and I think having a game with ground and space, inside the sandbox experience, it's something we're excited by.
    Ask the playerbase and I think you'd get a lot of different answers, but mostly I get emails saying that the game is a lot of fun now. I'd say that while things were intense for a little while –and I definitely understand there are still some upset players - I think there are a lot more happy players.
    Proven yourselves to be inept thats for sure. You've listened after the NGE mistake? no wonder the game isn't going back to what it was, he listens to people who play the game NOW, whats that? maybe upto 30k players or less compared to the 200k+ that they should have listened to.they have the game now that they originally wanted,  damn....  this guy is just simple.Lot more happy people than p***ed off people?  now he's delusional.. again look at the number of players that left and how many remained.
    From what I understand, people pissed about the NGE are upset that they changed the game to try attract a different crowd, and rightfully so.  Reverting back after doing those changes to get those new people, even if it didn't work out as well as it should have, would appear to those people as exactly the same thing as it did to those that are upset from pre-nge.  If they did that, then they wouldn't have learnt from their past mistakes. 
    I'm sorry for this folks, long post, i get too carried away sometimes..  and before sharky starts up again i aint still annoyed at SOE or LA, i'm just astounded at the crap they continue to spew out about SWG.

Well the few people that actually did welcome the NGE actually were screwed over by what they call the chapter 6 combat downgrade.  That's when SOE tried to attract veteran players back by restoring some of the features and mechanics of the pre-NGE game.  NGE fans protested these changes, and they were ignored en masse.  So, did Smed listened to NGE fans?  Apparently not.

Did Smed listen to pre-NGE players?  Well what did they ask for?  Classic servers.  This would in no way take anything away from the NGE playerbase, and by now I'd think you'd acknowledge that.  Did Smed listen and give the pre-NGE players a classic server?  No he didn't.

At the summits, Smed asked what people really think SWG needs to survive.  What did they tell him?  Server merges because many servers are virtually empty.  What did he promise them?  To fast track server merges.  Those were his exact words btw.  Did he do that?  No he did not.  Did he listen to the players?  Well, only enough to tell them something that he then failed to actually do.  I don't think a broken promise counts as listening.

Also, people did ask for a virutal card game in SWG.  They asked for Sabaac tables to be put in the cantinas so that players could play a minigame of cards with each other for virtual money, if not just the fun of it.  What did they get?  A rl card game, that they have to pay and lose real money to play.  This isn't what people asked for, and it comes across to many as nothing but an SOE cash grab.

Also, people asked for capital ships.  Smed's response?  "How would you like to see guild controlled star destroyers?"  Did players ever get that?  No.  They got an instance inside a captial ship.  Nothing like what was asked for or suggested by Smed.

His listening seems to be extremely selective, as does his memory.  If he listened as well as he suggests, he'd have a lot more happy players populating his servers. 

He also suggests, once again, that somehow this isn't his fault.  If only he had more time, he would have made a beautiful NGE right from the start.  Timelines may have been one problem, but they were one among many, many other serious issues that SOE and Smed are directly responsible for.  Everything would have been wonderful if only he had time to make the great game that SWG now is?  There's just so much spin in that statement, I don't know if it'll ever stop turning.

The only part of his statement that rings true is where he says the NGE was a mistake.  Unfortunately, it was a very large mistake that most feel he has not been willing to correct.

P.S.

Lol I just lost 4 rank points while editing this post.  Whatever guys.  I'll continue to call it like I see it, and continue to make the effort to be respectful when doing so.  That's just the way it is, rank points or no rank points.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what this has to do with what I posted?  Did you mean to quote me when you posted all that?

Lol yeah, but I can understand the confusion in that there are 3 different colours of text, with 3 different authors that I'm responding to :).

To clear things up a bit, I'm responding to Smed's notion that he has learned from past mistakes, and that he is listening to his players.  You seemed to echo those sentiments.  You often seem to say that leaving the NGE intact is a sign that Smed is listening to his players now.  I disagree. 

If he really listened to his NGE playerbase, he wouldn't have done the chapter 6 combat change.  This changed the game out from under many NGE fans.  If he really learned from his mistakes, he wouldn't have done that. 

If he wanted to listen to his former players, he should have offered classic servers.  He didn't do that; he didn't listen.

I then went on to list other examples of not listening, and of repeating mistakes similar to the NGE, albeit on a lesser scale.

So, what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe Smed has learned the lessons many people wish he would have.  You seem to think he has learned, so you and I differ on that.  That's what I was tryin' to say.

Pre-ordering should only be done if you are a super fan, or just want the pre-order item. If the game begins to look better I may consider doing a pre-order or SE but only because I like Star Wars: KOTOR enough to want a  SW pre-order item. As for the concept art book, we shall see.

(edit) actually the art isn't that bad, they never showed us this stuff
    www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/209803

It still leans towards the "cartoony" although I will concede they are a little better than the others I had seen. It really annoys me that everyone feels this need to copy WoW's style.

I wish these rigid suits would break the habit of a lifetime and come up with and subsequently implement an ORIGINAL IDEA.

S

• Experimemt13Experimemt13 Member Posts: 188

Smeds few brief moments of "candidity" really signify nothing.

If they were dedicated to giving fans of the game what they have repeatedly asked for, there would be Pre-CU servers up and running!

Yeah, I know... Stick, meet dead horse!

Still, it's the truth in my view. And many others, I wager... In fact, all the people I played with Pre-CU, so far as I know.

• Smed can't say that the NGE was a mistake, and then at the same time claim that the current game is the one he wishes he'd had at launch.  The two statements are contradictory, and proves that they DONT believe the NGE was wrong, they just mishandled it.

Which is the same non apologetic line SOE's held onto since 2006.

If anyone in SOE's management, up to and including Smed really believe the NGE was a mistake they'd have at least done classic servers.

In conclusion: Smed is lying to you again.  Has that man EVER told the community anything that didn't end up being different from his words taken at face value?

Oh, and he as much admitted that there is no definite future for the current game past the release of SWTOR.

Note to people who are/might be interested in DCMMO, SOE's upcoming "save the Titanic" release:  If the current NGE game is what Smed considers great to launch with, open up a trial, make a TC character (you can blue frog yourslef to 90) and check out the complete lack of polish to the combat system.  It barely works and is a frustrating excercise watching attacks fail and cooldowns fire, heals failing, etc.  Watch as mobs fire through rocks, trees, buildings... mountains sometimes at you while you are "unable to target".  Watch lairs spawn inside terrain and be unreachable...

And yet, this is a rare time of Smed telling the truth unintentionally.  A game this broken IS what he feels is fine to launch with...

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by salvaje

Smed can't say that the NGE was a mistake, and then at the same time claim that the current game is the one he wishes he'd had at launch.  The two statements are contradictory, and proves that they DONT believe the NGE was wrong, they just mishandled it.
    Which is the same non apologetic line SOE's held onto since 2006.
    If anyone in SOE's management, up to and including Smed really believe the NGE was a mistake they'd have at least done classic servers.
    In conclusion: Smed is lying to you again.  Has that man EVER told the community anything that didn't end up being different from his words taken at face value?
    Oh, and he as much admitted that there is no definite future for the current game past the release of SWTOR.
    Note to people who are/might be interested in DCMMO, SOE's upcoming "save the Titanic" release:  If the current NGE game is what Smed considers great to launch with, open up a trial, make a TC character (you can blue frog yourslef to 90) and check out the complete lack of polish to the combat system.  It barely works and is a frustrating excercise watching attacks fail and cooldowns fire, heals failing, etc.  Watch as mobs fire through rocks, trees, buildings... mountains sometimes at you while you are "unable to target".  Watch lairs spawn inside terrain and be unreachable...
    And yet, this is a rare time of Smed telling the truth unintentionally.  A game this broken IS what he feels is fine to launch with...

Sooo true brother. Smedley wished he would have released this originally? Yikes!! The game would have died within weeks. ie. AoC, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, PotBS. It's a broken POS right now. What in a gods name is this dipshit thinking? He's proud of his biggest failure in the MMO industry?

Does ANYONE feel that SWG:NGE now, is a success in any form of the word?

Seriously....

Edit: All you have to do is look at SoE's current game lineup and their past history, and you know right away, stay away from everything this company makes.

• Known NGE SOE fanbois will be spotted and killed in the new game.

Known NGE SOE fanbois will be spotted and killed in the new game.

So does that make you a target? xD Look the NGE as bad as it is/was is SWG, bottomline. It's been what SWG is longer than any other version before it. I would hope we could all just go into a new SW MMO and  not ruin this new game experiance by bringing up SWG, EVER. 

You need closure and I hope that TOR will be it for you. It's still fun to clown on SWG, I know, I still do, but I'm not mad about it anymore, really. You should just take a deep breath and let go. Everyone knows what SOE did, a few still play the game knowing this. We are all gamers, one mans garbage is anothers treasure trove. We should all just be happy that there is a lil something for everyone out there.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• Originally posted by tillamook

Known NGE SOE fanbois will be spotted and killed in the new game.

So does that make you a target? xD Look the NGE as bad as it is/was is SWG, bottomline. It's been what SWG is longer than any other version before it. I would hope we could all just go into a new SW MMO and  not ruin this new game experiance by bringing up SWG, EVER. 

You need closure and I hope that TOR will be it for you. It's still fun to clown on SWG, I know, I still do, but I'm not mad about it anymore, really. You should just take a deep breath and let go. Everyone knows what SOE did, a few still play the game knowing this. We are all gamers, one mans garbage is anothers treasure trove. We should all just be happy that there is a lil something for everyone out there.

I play EVE now.  In fact, I am a capital ship pilot in that game.

No MMO past or present is more hardcore.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"Watch as mobs fire through rocks, trees, buildings... mountains sometimes at you while you are "unable to target". Watch lairs spawn inside terrain and be unreachable.."

This was going on long before the NGE was released.

*Hoping for a "VET"less future, vote Slampig '08.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Originally posted by Slampig

"Watch as mobs fire through rocks, trees, buildings... mountains sometimes at you while you are "unable to target". Watch lairs spawn inside terrain and be unreachable.."

This was going on long before the NGE was released.

*Hoping for a "VET"less future, vote Slampig '08.

Yeah, and it might have been fixed had the Devs ever bothered to use our sub fees to  bug fix the Pre-CU or CU instead of developing new horrible game revamps behind our back in secret.

Funny how they simplified the stupid thing by a factor of 2/3rds (since that's how much of the professions are gone) and 3 years INTO that simpler game they STILL can't fix that sort of thing.

One of the justifications for the NGE was more content, less bugs.  The fact that a horrid bug like that still exists completely proves those promises were lies.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Suvroc

He needs to treat his customers with dignity by speaking directly to them first. Afterwards he can do his "spinning" to the media.

As far as I'm concerned, Smed can never speak to his customers.  He is not a gamer, so he doesn't know our language, our priorities, or anything about the passion we feel for our hobby.  Smed is a spin doctor, nothing more. 

I imagine having a one-on-one discussion with him and I cringe at the babble he would spew if we, the gamers, got to ask him direct questions about SWG, past and present.  He has no emotional connection to any of SoE's games. 

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by ronan32

Originally posted by efefia

Originally posted by Distiler

"Star Wars Galaxies is an incredible game and I think having a game with ground and space, inside the sandbox experience, it's something we're excited by."
    If there was still any doubt, NGE original concept is dead (and transferred to Bioware). Long live SWG!
    About time :p

lol, so cos smed merely mentioned the word "sandbox" the NGE concept is dead? So there's 32 profs in a skill system in the game again? Whole, free roam planets are being introduced instead of WoW-esque instances? 

No? The NGE is here to stay

He did admit it was a mistake, thats something.

For SWG it is way too little and way too late. IMHO SOE knew that the NGE was a mistake within one week of release but it took them 3 years to admit it. I would also bet that many within the SWG dev group knew that NGE was a mistake before it was released.

Originally posted by EbenEmael

"Star Wars Galaxies is an incredible game and I think having a game with ground and space, inside the sandbox experience, it's something we're excited by."
    If there was still any doubt, NGE original concept is dead (and transferred to Bioware). Long live SWG!

lol, so cos smed merely mentioned the word "sandbox" the NGE concept is dead? So there's 32 profs in a skill system in the game again? Whole, free roam planets are being introduced instead of WoW-esque instances? 

For SWG it is way too little and way too late. IMHO SOE knew that the NGE was a mistake within one week of release but it took them 3 years to admit it. I would also bet that many within the SWG dev group knew that NGE was a mistake before it was released.

While I dont agree that admitting a mistake, however long it took is "too little too late", I emphatically agree that there were some within LA/SOE who KNEW it was a terribly bad idea.

S

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by EbenEmael

The problem is that they still think the only mistake was that it was a revamp of an existing game.  The current game is horrible and unfun, the single worst MMO on the market, yet the Smed claims it is the game he wishes they would have launched with.  They don't think the NGE itself was the mistake, but how it was done.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

Surprisingly candid, maybe he has learned a lesson or three. Quite interesting that he even mentions sunsetting as an option though, I guess he's looking at that as a decision that's out of his hands though, seeing as MxO runs on 3 barren servers, SOE have proved they can keep dead games running as long as they like. This is probably an indication that he himself believes LA could pull the plug on SWG, if (I say when personally) SWTOR takes substantial numbers from SWG and/or makes SWG's subscriber base look ridiculously low.

Why would LA ever do that?

It's SOE who stands for all the servers and the cost of having them up and running and the cost of ingame and offgame support.

SOE pays LA a percentage of SWG:s revenue.

It's not LA who sunsets (don't you love that word?) SWG when the time comes but John Smedley.