Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustrated :/

Hi, first of all..sorry about my english! :/

Well, recently i started playing EQ2 (I bought it)...today i decided to try Vanguard.

I run EQ2 on high/very high settings. This is my machine:

- Nvidia 9600GT 512 DDR3

- Intel CoreDuo E6750 @ 2.66 Ghz

- Windows Vista 64bit

- 4GB RAM

- Audio Onboard

After the installation i set Vanguard Trial to run on 'high'... so when i started playing i was getting like 15-20 fps, no more than that..thats bad! :/ SO i started 'playing' with settings... changed to 'balanced' but i got only a few more fps... after doing a lot of tests nothing really helped (i tried to run with xp sp2 compatibility mode, run as administrator, turned off AUC, i also updated my videocard driver, etc...). I also tried to put EVERYTHING on max settings and guess what? I only 'lost' like 10-8 fps...so theres really something wrong with this game for those running it under Vista i guess.

What makes it more 'strange' is the fact that, 6-7 months ago i tried the game, but at that time i had an older videocard, so i gave up the game but now with a much better videocard im having a worst performance when running at 'balanced settings' (my hardware is the same only changed the videocard). How come?!?!

Any clue, hint or help?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Grauhase

Hi, first of all..sorry about my english! :/

Well, recently i started playing EQ2 (I bought it)...today i decided to try Vanguard.
    I run EQ2 on high/very high settings. This is my machine:

- Nvidia 9600GT 512 DDR3

- Intel CoreDuo E6750 @ 2.66 Ghz

- Windows Vista 64bit

- 4GB RAM

- Audio Onboard

After the installation i set Vanguard Trial to run on 'high'... so when i started playing i was getting like 15-20 fps, no more than that..thats bad! :/ SO i started 'playing' with settings... changed to 'balanced' but i got only a few more fps... after doing a lot of tests nothing really helped (i tried to run with xp sp2 compatibility mode, run as administrator, turned off AUC, i also updated my videocard driver, etc...). I also tried to put EVERYTHING on max settings and guess what? I only 'lost' like 10-8 fps...so theres really something wrong with this game for those running it under Vista i guess.

What makes it more 'strange' is the fact that, 6-7 months ago i tried the game, but at that time i had an older videocard, so i gave up the game but now with a much better videocard im having a worst performance when running at 'balanced settings' (my hardware is the same only changed the videocard). How come?!?!
    Any clue, hint or help?
    Thanks in advance!

you should see better performance then that.  I play with vista 64, 4g and a 2.4ghz quad cpu and an 8800gtx.  I play with all settings maxed and most of the time I'm getting 30+ fps.  In some town areas it might dip a bit below and in the wilderness I can get like 50+

---
    Ethion

• RaavRaav Member Posts: 120

Your case is very unusual.  I would expect your system to fun around 50 fps.  Try ....

1. Deleting the Cache folder.

2. Video and sound driver must be up to date.

3. No luck then try clicking off  "Use Provided Shaders" in the Performance Tab of your settings window (Press Escape).

4. Check your DirectX.

5. Turn off shadows.

Hope this helps.

• etwynnetwynn Member Posts: 219

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I have 2.3 quad AMD, XP, 2GB ram, 8600GT 256  I run vangaurd at high not maxed but I could run EQ2 at almost maxed... but again vangaurd has better graphics then EQ2 but thats just imo...  eq2 is too much like a cartoon.

• GrauhaseGrauhase Member Posts: 42

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies...

Do u guys play Vanguard with Vista 64? Cause only Ethion said that. 

Im asking cause im thinking about trying to install Windows XP in another Partition to see if it will help or not the game performance.  Or do u think it will be a waste of time? Maybe i should try to save money to get a new cpu or videocard...

I wanna play this game....

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Just a quick question.

Have you installed the (all) updates for Vista?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• RaavRaav Member Posts: 120

I use Window XP.  Yes, installing the XP on your partition would fix it for ya.

Originally posted by Orphes

Just a quick question.
    Have you installed the (all) updates for Vista?

Yeah...always!

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies...
    Do u guys play Vanguard with Vista 64? Cause only Ethion said that. 
    Im asking cause im thinking about trying to install Windows XP in another Partition to see if it will help or not the game performance.  Or do u think it will be a waste of time? Maybe i should try to save money to get a new cpu or videocard...
    I wanna play this game....

have you tried disabling all sound in the game?  Once upon a time I remember that some motherboard sound drivers caused a lot of performance issues.

Also have you tried checking out the support forums?  forums.soe.sony.com/vg

---
    Ethion

Hi guys!

A 'miracle' happened! lol

Now i can start playing the game: fps are now ranging from 30-50, with Render Quality set at High Quality and Texture Quality set at High! I´m so Happy

What I did? Well, trying to do some adjusts in my MoBo Bio i realized my cpu speed was incorrectly set to only 2.000 Mhz (default setting should be 2.667Mhz), so I corrected this problem and also did a small overclocking (to 3.200 mhz). I also updated my MoBo Bios, defrag. de hard disk and turned off the AA in the Nvidia control panel!

Thanks to all those who tried to help me!

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Nice one

Now you can explore the wonders and marvels of Telon :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

if all you really want is FPS, then turn your far clip plane to minimum, you'll see 70+ fps but of course you'll only see like 25-30m in front of you.

turn off shadows, clouds, etc.

try /setfog 400000,200000,250,250,100

i dont play the game anymore but i think thats the /setfog setting i used really cant remember. IMO it gave me a little boost to my fps.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Hi guys!

A 'miracle' happened! lol

Now i can start playing the game: fps are now ranging from 30-50, with Render Quality set at High Quality and Texture Quality set at High! I´m so Happy
    What I did? Well, trying to do some adjusts in my MoBo Bio i realized my cpu speed was incorrectly set to only 2.000 Mhz (default setting should be 2.667Mhz), so I corrected this problem and also did a small overclocking (to 3.200 mhz). I also updated my MoBo Bios, defrag. de hard disk and turned off the AA in the Nvidia control panel!
    Thanks to all those who tried to help me!

Congrats!  Enjoy VG!