Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On Feb 1, 2009, the show is over.

LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

For those who may care, Namco-Bandai is shutting down the Helgate London servers for good on Feb 1, 2009:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199996.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Comments

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Pretend MMO's with monthlies..

Bad decision!

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Wow! Well I didn't think such things could happen. But it seems to happen alot now. This game and Autoassault. I still wonder why SWG and Dark And Light still are active though, anyway, I hope this is a lesson for everyone to make better mmorpg's in the future!

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• mizrolistmizrolist Member UncommonPosts: 40

Well, the multiplayer servers will shut down at 31st January 2009, because the current owner Hanbitsoft wants to run it only in Korea. Yes, HG:L will go there further, they already have the 2.0 patch too - but NA and EU will get nothing.

Signatures are boring things.

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

Wow! Well I didn't think such things could happen. But it seems to happen alot now. This game and Autoassault. I still wonder why SWG and Dark And Light still are active though, anyway, I hope this is a lesson for everyone to make better mmorpg's in the future!

DnL servers have been down for weeks cause of the lawsuit.. and i think they wont win the case so it will be goodbye DnL

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by openedge1

Pretend MMO's with monthlies..
    Bad decision!

^ QFT

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by 3on1

DnL servers have been down for weeks cause of the lawsuit.. and i think they wont win the case so it will be goodbye DnL

REALLY? Oh soz, I'm just shocked I missed out on that! Well I guess they got what they deserved :D

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

I think that if they didn't ask a monthly fee they would still be in bussiness

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159
    Originally posted by kingtommyboy

I think that if they didn't ask a monthly fee they would still be in bussiness

Depends, where their income came from?

imageThe last of the Trackers

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

I think for some game companys it's to late, The new trend is copy WOW or go home.... Good or Bad this seems to be the way it goes right now!

What we need are for some truely independant game companys to arise and make a great game!

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

The fact is the game's "business model" is what killed it, it came out of the gate limping and the greed beast pounced... I could get over the game being so shoddy on release if they actually improved upon it, instead they focused on the "future" of the game and not the realities of it's current failures.

The game deserved to fail, not because it did not clone WoW, but because it was an ok idea that was poorly designed, poorly executed and hardly supported. Banks and publishers need to learn this is not Hollywood, nerds are smart but not all nerds are money smart, Throwing cash at something and hoping for a pile of cash cow sequels isn't a gimmie. I'm all for indie gaming but I really don't consider wasting a few million indie. I did want to like this game, I tried, the devs just didn't meet me half way.

• happyclappyhappyclappy Member Posts: 99

Here is an email I received:

Dear $Account{AccountName}, (oh dear...!)

Please be advised that NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. will continue to support customers of Hellgate: London with online server support and play through January 31, 2009. In a further gesture of support, we will provide this server support free of charge to all fans and players of the game up until the shut down date.

All of us at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. appreciate your enthusiasm for Hellgate: London and look forward to providing you with future entertainment products.

For questions regarding the shut down or additional information about Hellgate: London, please visit the game’s official website at www.hellgatelondon.com.

Thanks you,

Namco Bandai Games America Inc.

I replied, can I have the £100 I paid for a lifetime subscription back then? (that got bounced back a minute later)

That really stung me and has made me super super catious about ANY mmorpg that is released regardless of how much hype it receives and even though I really really want to play Warhammer Online I am not going to on the basis that I am scared of being stung again despite it having the backing of the biggest publisher in the video game industry but then again EA supported HG:L

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I'm not the biggest fan of Warhammer Online, I'll admit I love the IP (40k/Fantasy/RP fanBOI!). But if Warhammer fails like Hellgate did I will BUY your copy and pay you back every month you paid for. hellgate was really a "free" game that should have never been pay to play. I know more of my friends (about ten or so) refused to buy it when they found out it was pay to play.  They should have went the Guild Wars route and secretly charged folks every few months...damn shame, could have been a fun game. I got that email too, I was amused it wasn't even coded properly for my ACCOUNTNAME.

• Talon27Talon27 Member Posts: 24

fun single-player MMO since I never paid sub.

RIP.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

There are many worse games than this that survive however I could have seen this comming since about March. The state of the game was terrible. I mean some people were happy but most were not. In game most players were not subscribers. Subsribing to the game gave you almost nothing that you NEEDED to get to 50. which was the main thing people wanted to do. At 50 you had what PvP? Then you were done. There was really nothing there to keep anyone having fun long term. It was like a Phantasy star online game in 2007 Its just not cutting it. Look at phantasy star Universe, The Pc/ps2 servers have around 200 total players left!

Xbox 360 servers at most id say its a good 6000 This is assuming that each star is 200 players not 100 players (Which it can be 100 players).

Games like hellgate would work GREAT if they charged for Expansions but left the normal content subscripion fee Free. Free 2 play but Pay for expansions. Or ONE TIME payment game example buy The game for 99,99 and play for free until the next expansion comes out then you buy that for 59,99. That kind of thing works but this game did not have what it needed to be pay 2 play so it dies...