Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The road to level 20

zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

Hey guys,

I never posted here before but found my old GW boxes today and realised that I got all 3 campaigns (apart from EOTN obviously) and never even played the game!

Don't remember why or why not I never tried it but anyway,

I'm thinkin of giving it a try now but is it late? 

How long would it take me to reach level 20 so I can start doing whatever level 20s are doing and join the general population? :P  (PVE/PVP)

I suppose levelling could be lonely but I think that would be ok since this game isn't group oriented during leveling i think ?

I really feel it deserves a try and seems like a quality game but I don't wanna jump on this train a tad too late :) 

Comments

• scorpion2099scorpion2099 Member Posts: 2

dude remeber that! guild wars is not dead and its never going to die! its a great game and alots ppl make new character,so im going to say! WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR ??! go play it!!

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

To be completely honest, don't worry about levels at all! Guild Wars is designed in a way that you play it because you enjoy it, not so that you can reach maximum level. There really isn't anything the "general population" is doing that you can't do right from the start. 

Just hop in, do some quests and missions, or whatever, else may tickle your fancy, and have fun! That is what Guild Wars is about. 

It's definitely one of the best MMOs out there by far in my opinion. It's the only one that has kept my attention the past +-3 years.

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

Hehe thanks guys you really cheered me up and hyped me up for GW :P

However what's the rough estimate to reach level 20 ?

I played several other MMOs so I wanted to see how it compares:)

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

make a toon on one of the expansions , lvl 20 will come to you in a day.

Originally posted by zspawn

Hehe thanks guys you really cheered me up and hyped me up for GW :P
    However what's the rough estimate to reach level 20 ?

I played several other MMOs so I wanted to see how it compares:)

Prophecies...maybe a good week or two of hardcore playing. It's been a long time since I level in Prophecies. 

Factions - you can level to 20 in 24 hours of play if you know what you're doing.

Nightfall it's between Prophecies and Factions. 

Thanks guys

I have all of them so it all depends on the class I'll make i guess

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Actually Lydon in Factions, with heroes andhench, you can now hit 20 in 6/7 hours

imageimage

Ok I rolled a Dervish in Nightfall - question is can I play Prophecies / Factions campaigns at some point with same character?

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Ok I rolled a Dervish in Nightfall - question is can I play Prophecies / Factions campaigns at some point with same character?

yes, when you do the Consulate Docks mission (4th mission), go back to Kamadan and two missions will appear to take you to the other campaigns

imageimage

Alright thanks a lot for your help

I hope ingame community is as responsive as you guys here :)

• snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

I have a level 6 dervish in Nightfall. I too am fairly new to the game. Maybe we could party or meet up ingame.

I do have a lvl 20 Ele/Mes but I dont think I can play it well. I lose a LOT in Random Arena PVP.

BTW I only have factions and Nightfall but since you started in nightfall we could level together.

Hey sorry had no net for a few days :)

PM me if you want so we can sort smthn out.

Im EU btw so timezones may be different than yours :)

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

Getting to 20 isn't exactly tough, nor long even with casual playing, and as has already been mentioned there's always stuff to do at each level, so no worries about getting into the game late.  Leveling can be group oriented if you want it to be; join up with some friends or make new ones, or even "hire" NPCs in their place!

GW was my first MMO, and there's still a special place in my heart for the first half of Factions (or is it Prophecies? Whatever the original game is called now..)!

I think the only issue you'll find with the game, and the one that usually prevents me from really getting back into the game is that the cities are so spam-filled it's rediculous. :/  Now, that can be a relatively small part of the game (what with the instanced game play and the cities being hubs), however it's still annoying when you're trying to sell things or LFGs.

With all that said, Guild Wars is an excellent game and I'm glad you picked it back up to give it a whirl!  Have fun! 

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

Well I'm afraid I reached level 9 in Nightfall and quit  :(

I don't know why the game is kind of confusing to me (maybe it's cause I was Dervish I don't know) and i don't feel motivated to play :

If anyone has any guides or a nice writeup to read regarding a new player in GW let me know, I'm always feeling I'm not giving this game the chance it deserves.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

I don't know why the game is kind of confusing to me (maybe it's cause I was Dervish I don't know) and i don't feel motivated to play :

If anyone has any guides or a nice writeup to read regarding a new player in GW let me know, I'm always feeling I'm not giving this game the chance it deserves.

Did the same myself when I first started Guildwars, didn't have a clue until I figured out the options tab had a help button, yes all games have help buttons but the guildwars help button is a direct link to the guildwars wiki..it gives you everything from class builds, armor sets and complete quest guides/walkthrough to name but a few highlights of it

. When you get the hang of things (which shouldn't take long with the awesome wiki help function) then it's time to see about getting a guild, seriously you will need a guild as the quests get pretty tough later on.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm...I'm not sure why you're confused, as Guild Wars has one of the best tutorials I've come across. My advice:

1) Take it slowly. There really is no rush. Take your time and you will enjoy it more.

2) READ quest text, help pop-ups etc.

3) If you ever need help, type /help and press the enter button. A box will pop up in which you can enter the information you're searching for and you'll be linked to the appropriate page of the official Guild Wars wiki.

Also, when you get a quest, the location will be shown on your map. Press the "M" button. You'll notice a little green pulsating marker on your map which indicates where you need to go to, or the name of a town will be written in green if you need to visit a town to further the quest. You can use your map to travel to locations closest to where your quest objectives are located.

So in summary, the key is to read, read, read and use your map to travel around! 

Thanks for your tips guys :)

I didn't know about help...But maybe also Dervish isn't "new player" friendly either :p

No problem. I'd recommend something such as an Elementalist or Warrior. They're easy to play.

• 883448883448 Member Posts: 12

The game is not dead. many pll still play it. It wont take long to reach lvl 20, u willbe there long before u (if) finishthe game.

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

I haven't played any of the additions to GW so I can't comment on any of the other classes, but a warrior is certainly a good starter.  Especially if you cross it with a monk so you get the constant heal buff.  Maybe give the game a play through with a character like that to get more of a feel for it, and then start diversifying into the other classes?

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Rocktober
    I haven't played any of the additions to GW so I can't comment on any of the other classes, but a warrior is certainly a good starter.  Especially if you cross it with a monk so you get the constant heal buff.  Maybe give the game a play through with a character like that to get more of a feel for it, and then start diversifying into the other classes?

If you play Warrior you get a healer to heal you. There's a reason why you got the ability to play in a team constantly - you don't have to be everything. Heals on warriors is unnecessary when it will only drain your energy and reduce your killing power. Just wanted to say that, to avoid the typical mistake a beginner does.

• GregtheexconGregtheexcon Member Posts: 203

Hey guys,
     I never posted here before but found my old GW boxes today and realised that I got all 3 campaigns (apart from EOTN obviously) and never even played the game!

Don't remember why or why not I never tried it but anyway,
    I'm thinkin of giving it a try now but is it late? 
    How long would it take me to reach level 20 so I can start doing whatever level 20s are doing and join the general population? :P  (PVE/PVP)
    I suppose levelling could be lonely but I think that would be ok since this game isn't group oriented during leveling i think ?
    I really feel it deserves a try and seems like a quality game but I don't wanna jump on this train a tad too late :) 

Since you already own em, might as well try it. Its not very hard to get to 20, but also not easy. The PVE is decent, but the PVP rocks. Give it a go. I would rate GW 9/10 easily (10/10 if the cost was involved)

Enjoy : )