Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should PotBS become a F2p?

I mean, this is a question i've got to ask..Cuz usually when a mmo isn't fairing well, it ends shutting down OR becoming a F2p. And PotBS has that potential  to be one of the greatest F2p because of it being so different .

Do you agree or disagree, and do you think it's likely to happen?

Oh yeah, btw, don't you find that the chat systeme is broken?

Comments

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

I think in its current form it is perfect for F2P & cash shops.

With further developement, balancing & content it sould stay subscription.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Not F2p, but not $15 dollars either, maybe $5-10 though.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

Yea, I'd have to agree.. I'm not paying $15 for it.  I'm surprised EQ wants that amount as well!

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• chicobananachicobanana Member Posts: 7

I think it is a good idea to make it a F2P game, I would rather not spend my dollar on this game.

• ajbcaseajbcase Member Posts: 3

Yes IT should be free to play because its not good enough to pay for. I bought it but removed it from my computer and cancelled my subscription because it sux.

• ajbcaseajbcase Member Posts: 3

By the way if anyone can suggest any other pirate games I would appreciate it

• NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74

I'm actually going back to this game (haven't played since beta) and getting station access for it, since i already have Vanguard and Eq2, i can play those aswell.

But for the question, NO it should not become a crappy F2P game, if you think it's a bad gam now, it won't get better by giving the devs, less money to work with.

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Nithir

I'm actually going back to this game (haven't played since beta) and getting station access for it, since i already have Vanguard and Eq2, i can play those aswell.
    But for the question, NO it should not become a crappy F2P game, if you think it's a bad gam now, it won't get better by giving the devs, less money to work with.

The thing is though, the devs have the potential to make more money with a cash shop than they do with subs... just look at the hundreds of free MMOS that have been around for a few years.

• NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74

But look how crappy most of the are aswell. And alot of "f2p" MMO's never leaves beta, and some of them that does, goes back to p2p. Just saying, i've played most of the games on the left bar of this site, and only a handfull of them was even worth playing for a longer period. (Sure it's my opinion, but alot of them aren't good MMO's overall, i've beta tested alot of games and now what's good and what's just crap) I'd hate to see this game go down the drain though.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

But look how crappy most of the are aswell. And alot of "f2p" MMO's never leaves beta, and some of them that does, goes back to p2p. Just saying, i've played most of the games on the left bar of this site, and only a handfull of them was even worth playing for a longer period. (Sure it's my opinion, but alot of them aren't good MMO's overall, i've beta tested alot of games and now what's good and what's just crap) I'd hate to see this game go down the drain though.

It's been going down the drain since release. It doesn't have much more room before it slips over the edge and plummets into the bottomless depths.

However, being a SOE published game means it will never be free to play. It will simply languish with The Matrix, Vanguard, SWG, Planetside, and the rest on the station pass.

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 177

I still wouldnt play this game if it was free. It would never be free anyway, it would still cost time to play it, and thats not worth it.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by logicbox9

The thing is though, the devs have the potential to make more money with a cash shop than they do with subs... just look at the hundreds of free MMOS that have been around for a few years.

Every one of them i have tryed has been full of assholes and Retards... NO Never make a free mmo.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• KfuchsKfuchs Member Posts: 6

I played in beta and even preordered it as well but then when I started playing and paying for it I must have lasted half a month then pretty much stopped :( I dont know why I just lost intrest I guess theres to little to do its really not worth 15 a month but I think its better then a F2P :(.

Lower subsicription cost would be better but I dont think id come back anyway. I'm waiting for dakrfall and only plan on playing darkfall :).

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Beta for PotBS was awesome....they did a lot wrong on the game tho...biggest part was releasing with the number of servers they did 

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by bad_mouton

I mean, this is a question i've got to ask..Cuz usually when a mmo isn't fairing well, it ends shutting down OR becoming a F2p. And PotBS has that potential  to be one of the greatest F2p because of it being so different .
    Do you agree or disagree, and do you think it's likely to happen?

Oh yeah, btw, don't you find that the chat systeme is broken?

I'm downloading the trial now which will be my first experience with it so I can't say wether it should be f2p or not but I can say chances are it will keep it's sub fee and get thrown on SOEs station pass when they assimilate eeer I mean purchase the game and save it by throwing it onto the station pass

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• w8ingw8ing Member Posts: 29

id come back in a heartbeat if it was free to play. i loved the game, i just couldnt see myself shelling out 15$$ a month for it when there were games i liked better. i quit when AoC came out.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by needalife214

Beta for PotBS was awesome....they did a lot wrong on the game tho...biggest part was releasing with the number of servers they did 

Thank you. Thank You. Thank You.

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought this was the biggest Launch problem..aside from the big game play ones ;p

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• aznhkpdaznhkpd Member Posts: 12

Maybe you guys need to spread some love. I think the subscription fee is more than fair. Think about the development costs Flying Lab had to endure over its EXTREMLY LONG AND DETAILED development. I do support the subscription and have been paying it happily. I don't however support the MANDATORY retail box purchase at 50 somewhat dollars.....

• Originally posted by aznhkpd
    Maybe you guys need to spread some love. I think the subscription fee is more than fair. Think about the development costs Flying Lab had to endure over its EXTREMLY LONG AND DETAILED development. I do support the subscription and have been paying it happily. I don't however support the MANDATORY retail box purchase at 50 somewhat dollars.....

I found my box at a local GameStop for 24.99 - you might still be able to find it on their website for that price. When I looked, the GameStop website had it for 24.99 plus shipping/handling OR a direct download for 50 bucks. I heard somewhere that Best Buy was selling for 24.99, too, but there's no Best Buys where I live.

EDIT: On second thought, it MAY have been 29.99, but still, that's better than 49.99.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

They'd have to redo the economy to make it a free to play game with an item mall.  Right now, it's built around each account having a fixed amount of labor, but if accounts were free, you could get effectively infinite labor that way, which would make labor essentially worthless as a commodity to sell.  That would completely kill whatever depth the economy now has, making it kind of like the "something stupid to grind levels in" that a lot of games have, except without the "to grind levels in" part. 

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

I think this game could work well as a F2P, but as mentioned, since it is part of the Station Pass, that is not possible.  So I would say:

Client Download is Free with under $10/mo subscription.  Compensate those who have existing accounts with some kind of meaningful items.  Especially now in a down-turning economy.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.