Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have they changed anything for good/bad?

I could go over to there site and read patch note's, But from this site I can see other MMO's and get a heads up on many different games. Plus from there forum's get alot of fanboi baising and not true Opinions from all spectrum of presant/past players. Well  I played in beta and for free month, was wondering have they changed game mechanics? Changed the gankfest rules? Or is it pretty much the same game as launch and only bug fixing/tweaking?

Comments

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

POTBS was never a bad game, imo. And the "Gankfest" is what makes the game fun :/, Red = Dead, cry more and dont play it if you just cant stay out of it.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by sanders01

POTBS was never a bad game, imo. And the "Gankfest" is what makes the game fun :/, Red = Dead, cry more and dont play it if you just cant stay out of it.

Turns the burner on...

Comments:

So you like the gankfest huh?

So, are you still subscribed?

Are you supporting this Developer with your $$$?

Your sig says NO.

And that really is the issue isn't it?

Contrary to what you apparently believe - Games Developers are businesses and are doing this to make money - they do NOT develop games so that you can prove how 133t you are for a month.

People with attitudes like yours tend to have a short attention span and don't tend to stay subscribed for long - but developers need long term subscribers to give them revenue to allow them to develop games.

You like the "No crying in the red circle." philosophy huh?

Well for a start - you need to read the original quote from Jokerkaos in context.

And as for "...cry more and dont play it if you just cant stay out of it" - well it may have escaped your attention but that is exactly what most people did - including you hardcore 133ts apparently.

The thing that makes me laugh at the hardcore 133t PvPers is that most of the loudmouths don't seem to realize that the game they claim they want has been out for 7 years.  www.wwiionline.com

Or, maybe they do know about it?  But it was too hard?

Anyway, in the meantime, I suggest you move on to Darkfall.  You will find your "I wanna gankfest" buddies circling over there.

I will leave the Isildur quote for Vetarnias...

Edit: OR was that whole post supposed to be sarcastic?  Were you just trying to get a rise??   If so - well done.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Gyrus

I will leave the Isildur quote for Vetarnias...

Flogging a dead horse, I think.  Still, here goes:

"The people who want to gank are waiting for the Next Big Failure to come along, to let them grief noobs for a few months before it shrivels up and dies. This is because every sane developer has learned this lesson: griefing and ganking doesn’t just lose you the $15/mo from the person who was griefed. It has a multiplicative effect, creating an environment in your game, and a reputation outside your game, and people tend to steer clear. ‘Play to Crush’ as a selling point and marketing slogan probably lost SB twice the players it ended up bringing them."

You can read it in its original context here.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Woah boy calm down, I was just stating that if you dont like how the game is, dont play it, their not going to change the ruleset just because people dont know what a red circle means on the map, and no, im not an elitist.. I only got to 48 in the game anyway :P Just saying, it was one of the better ones I've played and it never was THAT bad, I never got ganked, when I ran into the circle, I fully knew what would happen, so can you call it a "gankfest" really if you know you CAN and probably WILL get sunk?

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Woah boy calm down, I was just stating that if you dont like how the game is, dont play it, ...

Fair enough.  And again, that is exactly what people did.

Saying that it's not a bad game doesn't change the fact that most people didn't like it enough to stay subscibed.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

... so can you call it a "gankfest" really if you know you CAN and probably WILL get sunk?

Ganking usually refers to a high level player or players preying on much lower players that have no real chance to fight back. The helpless lower player watches as he dies, and the higher player gets little or no reward, except for the emotional satisfaction of killing a defenseless enemy.

Most MMO's divide the map up into zones based on level, so lower players have some areas of safety. Lower players can safely level up until they feel competent to take on the veterans. Also, resources are normally separated into levels, so a lower player can safely harvest low level resources in relative safety, like Eve's high-security space. Missions are also usually separated into level zones, so a low level player does not have to go into a high level zone to complete a low level mission.

PoTBS decided to discard this tried-and-true method, and mix it all up. Low level missions frequently require a low level player to go into a dangerous zone inhabitated by high level players. Resources are likewise not separated, so a low level player cannot reliably harvest low level resources in safety. The flip side is also true: a low level player can have very high level materials on board.

This is equivalent to Eve, if low level players had to fly through 0.0 space to do simple missions, or harvest basic resources. It is a "gankfest". Sure, the lower level players can elect not to go into danger zones, and that means they are electing not to run their missions, or safely harvest resources.  A lower level player can easily log in and find that they are in a red-zone, and are trapped.

It was a novel experiment, and I think the results are in.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by ganbee

I could go over to there site and read patch note's, But from this site I can see other MMO's and get a heads up on many different games. Plus from there forum's get alot of fanboi baising and not true Opinions from all spectrum of presant/past players. Well  I played in beta and for free month, was wondering have they changed game mechanics? Changed the gankfest rules? Or is it pretty much the same game as launch and only bug fixing/tweaking?

I can only speak on BB, but the amount of "ganking" has gone down considerably.  Most people are well aware they go into the red they lose their ship.  And since the server is more balanced, people are slugging it out everywhere.  Last night's map opening was proof of that.  We brits got a little too cocky and tried to hit 3 ports, start things off with a bang.  Might've worked before, but not now.  We were fighting on all fronts, and the rats managed to flip Bridgetown.  A lot of the chaos eventually descended on Irish Point, with everyone being extra careful on the OS seeing who was going to attack who.  (Being the previous map winners, the Brits now have EVERYONE gunning for them.)