Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small PC problem need advice.

pvppopmanpvppopman Member Posts: 7

Well approximately 4 days ago my computer started to restart/studder/ kick me to the desktop with a "error message" basically saying that any information not saved will be lost, and that the program un-expectidely closed..

I was thinking maybe my "Graphics Card finally took a dump" or there is something I need to update for my drivers or w/e?

Just want to make sure I know what it is before I start messing with something

Seeing as how I am not very good with computers...

(Oh and BTW this only happens when I log onto WoW, or DAoC, or CoH/CoV, FF XI etc...

It's basically only things that require a program to run..

Any replies/Advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Post an error code.

also, what's the last program you installed??

(hint - Unistall it)

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Do what random mage said then run a full virus scan, spyware scan and registry checker.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by pvppopman

Well approximately 4 days ago my computer started to restart/studder/ kick me to the desktop with a "error message" basically saying that any information not saved will be lost, and that the program un-expectidely closed..
    I was thinking maybe my "Graphics Card finally took a dump" or there is something I need to update for my drivers or w/e?
    Just want to make sure I know what it is before I start messing with something
    Seeing as how I am not very good with computers...
    (Oh and BTW this only happens when I log onto WoW, or DAoC, or CoH/CoV, FF XI etc...
    It's basically only things that require a program to run..
    Any replies/Advice would be greatly appreciated..
            Thanks in advance.

Does it seem to act up when you run 3D games only?

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127

buy a new computer this is the sign.

• pvppopmanpvppopman Member Posts: 7

Just about every game, it's not restarting as much anymore when I try it, it just makes a bunch of beeping sounds then a loud beep sound, then boots me straight to the desktop.. I guess mainly 3D games...lol and to the buy a new computer comment...I can't just pull money out of my behind lol...

I have ran many many virus scans, deep scans, and registery scans, etc...

I have deleted/removed any programs/ things I have downloaded within the past few days..Still seems to be acting up, is there a test somewhere I can use to ensure it's my graphics/video card?

Just about every game, it's not restarting as much anymore when I try it, it just makes a bunch of beeping sounds then a loud beep sound, then boots me straight to the desktop.. I guess mainly 3D games...lol and to the buy a new computer comment...I can't just pull money out of my behind lol...
    I have ran many many virus scans, deep scans, and registery scans, etc...
    I have deleted/removed any programs/ things I have downloaded within the past few days..Still seems to be acting up, is there a test somewhere I can use to ensure it's my graphics/video card?

If everything other than 3D programs are working, your video card may have gone belly up, 2d and 3d are rendered different, so even though you can see the desktop in windows doesn't mean that the 3d portion will work.

try this program, it is a video stability test:

http://www.topshareware.com/Video-Card-Stability-Test-download-39274.htm

See if you can run it, if you can't, chances are the card needs replacement.

hope this info helps

• pvppopmanpvppopman Member Posts: 7

I'll try it out, thanks.

Well, I was able to run the Video-Card test fine.

I'll try it out, thanks.

Well, I was able to run the Video-Card test fine.

OK, what brand and model video card do you have?