Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR victim of its success?

13»

Comments

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Thanks for all the good replies, both in agreement and disagreement with me. So far they were all constructive.

I just wanted to comment that English is not my first language, so maybe "success" was not such a good choice. My idea was, in short that we have seen WOW be a big success. And many people conclude a big reason for WOWs success was its streamlining, its simplifications (not necessarily easier), the way WOW leads you to the "fun stuff" fast.

Now unlike the many flawed MMOs released in the past year, WAR has no glaring flaws or shortcomings. Still I see some trend in the critique which cant be denied, so my aim was to think why a game with no obvious, glaring flaws finds so many critics. I think where there is smoke there usally is a fire, so WAR must have some problems, but not the usual, glaring ones, and my idea was/is, that Mythic tried to further the simplifications WOW started and went too far. I didnt like the First Era MMOs, because for me they were too difficult to access, and in that a certain degree of WOWification was ok. I always found EQ2 had the right balance between difficulty and simplification, but thats just my taste.

So by saying "victim of its success" it more meant falling into the trap of overdoing a basically good idea, by following it too far. Sure, things like downtimes, wait lines, boss camping, hours of seeking for groups are things no one will say are fun. But IMO Mythic overdid the idea of taking the player at the hand and leading him like this. It kinda took the adventure away. I admit its more intuitive feeling and I tried to nail down my feeling with examples. Its a bit a shot in the dark, but I dont feel I am totally mistaken in my idea why certain kind of MMO players like me are not satisfied with WAR.

Its like the quick snack, a Hot Dog you eat at the corner as an in between. Its a good Hot Dog, but its not the full meal demanding MMO gamers are seeking. There is a One-Dimensionality, and streamlining in it, which was hoped to be a formula for killer success, and I think it was this plan that will backfire. Those flaws are difficult to see and you need to play it some time, which is one reason IMO why the reviews are just overhyped. Its not a bad game, but not the uber game the ratings suggest either.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Actually something that does stand out as a negative example: World design and realization.

A lot of the appeal of the modern MMOs are coming from environmental possibilities. I think people expected WAR to be one of the titles you could feel the world and develop a sense of exploration and travelling, which you automatically, without even focusing on it, do in the other young games.

WAR is incredibly anachronistic concerning this. This starts with fog as a limiting factor of viewing distance and ends with zoning; it has no actual mountains and gulches or cliffs very quickly lack impressiveness because you can't even see the sea down there; too far away for the engine. The landscape could be jawdropping, if you literally see the area around you just like you just had lunch in central los angeles on a perfect smog-day; all the time.

Of course Mythic could have developed a working up to date and well performing engine, but they didn't. It's one of a few but one of the _underestimated_ downsides of this game - it creates a strong sense of "fenced playground". WoWs world design, while being on par by viewing distance and love of detail, featured seamless zones 4 years ago.

M

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by Meridion

Actually something that does stand out as a negative example: World design and realization.

A lot of the appeal of the modern MMOs are coming from environmental possibilities. I think people expected WAR to be one of the titles you could feel the world and develop a sense of exploration and travelling, which you automatically, without even focusing on it, do in the other young games.

WAR is incredibly anachronistic concerning this. This starts with fog as a limiting factor of viewing distance and ends with zoning; it has no actual mountains and gulches or cliffs very quickly lack impressiveness because you can't even see the sea down there; too far away for the engine. The landscape could be jawdropping, if you literally see the area around you just like you just had lunch in central los angeles on a perfect smog-day; all the time.

Of course Mythic could have developed a working up to date and well performing engine, but they didn't. It's one of a few but one of the _underestimated_ downsides of this game - it creates a strong sense of "fenced playground". WoWs world design, while being on par by viewing distance and love of detail, featured seamless zones 4 years ago.

M

What are you talking about? Is the game fun for you or isn't it?

Where did you travel excactly, because there's 4 tiers in 3 worlds to explore if you're into it. And bestiary really varies unlike in other games where there's the same NPC with different HP, color, level and name.

I must be just blind, because on my screen the game looks allright. It took me a while to get used to artwork, because I'm not that big fan of such presentation but now that I'm used to it it's wonderful to see how detailed everything actually is. I suggest you tune up your graphics settings and take a good look over the world of WAR. Oooooh, wait.... stop the press....

Your gaming experience is limited to OpenBeta only? If so, you don't know what you're talking about. Day 1 headstart brought in the game the graphics that weren't in the open beta. Patch 1.0.3 made the game slippery like a gypsy in a market place.

The gaming engine is up-to-date, just tune up your graphics settings.