Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscriber Decline is Staggering!

JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Bossiney cluster 401

Ector(Classic)

Gareth(Classic)

Lamorak(Classic)

Devon cluster 604

Akatsuki

Bedevere

Galahad

Igraine

Iseult

Kay

Lancelot

Morgan

Pellinor

Tristan

Killibury cluster 502

Bors

Gawaine

Guinevere

Merlin

Nimue

Palomides

Percival

13 Pendragon (Test)

15 Mordred (PvP)

196 Gaheris (Coop)

Currently defending the realms:

1,731 North America

406  GOA Europe

2,137  Worldwide

Last Updated: 10/14/08 08:25 PM

Hi, DAoC was my firt MMORPG, which I started in 2001. Sometime after WAR was announced to be in development, there were debates on whether or not the DAOC players would move to WAR. Many people said they wouldn't, claiming that DAoC players are a different breed. It turns out that most did go to WAR as can be seen by the current subscribers actually logged in. I think 2k worldwide is piss poor and I grieve for this game. There are many things that DAoC has that WAR doesn't and visa versa, so you're missing out on something if you are subbed to one or the other.

I think it's safe to say DAoC is virtually a dead game now. Cany anyone still playing put these numbers into the proper perspective?

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I'd say, give it a bit of time for the WAR novelty to wear off.  I think you'll see some people come back but it will never be the same.  I think the old population before WAR was interested in trying something new and they did but perhaps like me found it not to their liking.  They then decide to go back but the numbers are even smaller now and it's not really worth it.  I'm honestly thinking of finding a new hobby.  The mmo genre IMO is dismal right now.  I figure I'll go take up rock climbing again and wait a few years.  Maybe by then things will turn around or become something not worth comming back to at all.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• CotswoldCotswold Member Posts: 70

Exactly what he said.  Sadly because the PvP of DAoC is it's biggest selling point it's the only thing most people become interested in.  In turn, once the numbers begin to drop it has a massive effect on re-subs and new subscriptions.  People are not willing to try a game that is "all RvR" when there is nobody to fight.

Anyone who has read my posts (I'm so sorry for you) knows I play mostly on the Co-op (PvE) server.  I guess the way I look at it I have a few close frinds who I hang with there and still love it... that and $15 a month is still a LOT cheaper than buying a new game every month, or even every other month for that matter.  Then again I'm the kind of person who still digs out Marrowind or Fable after seeing every sqare inch of those games.

I suppose my point (I sometimes have one) is that if you ever enjoyed the game the numbers shouldn't sway your decision to come back and relive what you used to love.  If nothing else you always have contacts right here on MMORPG.com that would be more than willing to help ya get back in the swing of things  =)

On a side note to any current players (or people thinking about coming back) who might be reading this, feel free to contact me if you want to see what the PvE server has to offer... and to the OP... don't cry for DAoC, no matter what happens anyone who has played it knows it was (and in my opinion sill is) the best MMO, if not game, ever!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

To the OP,

That sucks dude.  I know of the feeling of playing a game and really loving it, only to have its fanbase slowly dry up.  Hopefully the game will get returning players.

• I like many others have tried WAR.

I am now back at DAOC and will (as a previous poster says) probably never buy another mmo.

The populations on the servers are dismal, but, suprisingly , the action isn't.

Bossiney is down to about 350/450 prime time usa and there are some great fights going on.Its 200% rp bonus this week and I've done 200k plus rp's :)

I hope Mythic can keep this game going as (I've said in another thread) I believe millions of  gamers are missing out by not experiencing it.

The game does have issues (as they all do) with my main bugbear being the amount of crowd control.

Anyway,

/salute

• mylin1mylin1 Member UncommonPosts: 138

its all part of the natural cycle of games, for some reason, I guess vested interest in it, people feel mmo's should be immune to the boom, mature, die, be reboon with a expansion, cycle that is typical of all games..

no game lasts forever, I still miss the fun of everquest 1, my first mmo after leaving muds behind (which I left bbs games for) but it had its day in the sun, now its a cool memory /shrug thats what games do

everquest 2, played for years, slowly its population was drawn away to other things (sometimes pushed away by SOE insanity)

So maybe DAoC time has come and faded... sad when it happens but not a lot anyone can do about it.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Mythic did everything one could imagine to drive its customer base away.They want them back ?  Do something...anything besides laying on the ground slowly bleeding out its few remaining subscribers.

• RadiickRadiick Member Posts: 94

"don't cry for DAoC, no matter what happens anyone who has played it knows it was (and in my opinion sill is) the best MMO, if not game, ever!"

Agreed!  It was my first and by far my favorite MMO which I played for many years.  If only they had a decent Quest System like in EQ2?  Then I may consider going back but with low population as it is now I always felt that DAoC could leave you "looking for something to do" if there was no one around to group up with............

Its worse to actually think about doing something then actually doing it!!!

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

What they need to do is make some sort of free to play system , i dont know in which way but am sure that would bring in alot of old doac vets like me back in good old doac rvr .

I dont think  doac will ever go back to be what it was in the days , or just merge the servers again to a min so there anough peoples to play with .

there many things they can do , but you know mmo's are a business so it's the buck that counts .

• CainurkCainurk Member Posts: 65

In all honesty, there is no reason to play DAoC as it is when people can play DAoC for free. Same content, same game (with various free servers offering various "gimmicks", such as 2x exp, 10x exp, instant 50 RvR, etc).