Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I thought COH sucked?

mccoyymccoyy Member Posts: 80

Not trying to troll here or anything just a sincere question.

I tried COH and I thought it sucked pretty bad. I was wondering if anyone felt the same and thought that for some reason STO might be different?

I have followed STO for a pretty long time with PE and truthfully havent kept up since  Cryptic took over.  When I heard they took over my first thought was OMG...their game was terrible how are they going to make a STO game that I would like?

Does anyone feel the same way I do? I would love to hear why Cryptic will do a good job with this game as compared to trash like COH?

Thanks

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I'm thinking you won't like STO either, but there's not enough information surrounding the core of the game yet to be able to know.

As soon  as I heard about NPC crews and the high level of ship customisation, I took that to mean it was going to be geared towards a 'simpler' market than I feel a Star Trek mmo should be.

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

If you didn't like CoH then don't play CoH. I just can't see how you can think STO is going to be like CoH when we haven't had anything to base a comparison on.

BTW, you said you didn;t like CoH in the start of your post. Just because you don't like a game does not make it trash. A lot of people do like it. I like CoH and feel about WoW the same as you feel about CoH. I don't run around spouting that WoW is trash though.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

There's actually no comparison between the two games other than having a wide variety of character customization options. STO is a space combat/ ground TPS (Third person shooter) and exploration game, while CoH is a super hero/ typical hotbar MMO with a lot of instanced quests and small zones. I liked CoH but it did have it's drawbacks. Champions Online is more comparable to CoH than STO will be.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

There won't be a fair comparison between CoH vs STO, CoH is pretty much a vanilla version MMORPG of the current (or previous generation), the new generation of MMORPGs are pretty much what WoW has plus manual targeting like FPS, get a glimpse of it by trying Tabula Rasa. I don't like mxing FPS targeting with MMORPG, but that's the direction new MMORPG games are going in.

• mrprogguymrprogguy Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by mccoyy

Not trying to troll here or anything just a sincere question.
    I tried COH and I thought it sucked pretty bad. I was wondering if anyone felt the same and thought that for some reason STO might be different?
    I have followed STO for a pretty long time with PE and truthfully havent kept up since  Cryptic took over.  When I heard they took over my first thought was OMG...their game was terrible how are they going to make a STO game that I would like?
    Does anyone feel the same way I do? I would love to hear why Cryptic will do a good job with this game as compared to trash like COH?
    Thanks

1.  What, precisely, are the qualifications for "suck?"   You state your conclusion with absolutely no qualifying or quantifying data.  Are you too busy--or do you assume it doesn't matter?

2. You really, really need to learn how to express an opinion as opposed to make absolute statements.  Trust me, if CoH happened to be trash, I wouldn't have been playing it for the last four years.  You can take that to the bank.   Placing the quality of your judgment above mine (or anybody's) is very dangerous intellectual territory--especially for someone who doesn't appear to have mastered the use of the common, garden-variety apostrophe.

3. Why would anyone here really care if you play STO or not?  What interest would we have in convincing you one way or the other?  I think we have better things to do.  You'd do well to stop overvaluing your own opinion, and maybe get that ego in check in other areas, too.

4. Even a sincere question can be trolling.  That you have to warn us that it's not trolling means you know it's trolling.  By the way--it's trolling.

Arguing with me will not make you right.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Wikkedbowtie

If you didn't like CoH then don't play CoH. I just can't see how you can think STO is going to be like CoH when we haven't had anything to base a comparison on.
    BTW, you said you didn;t like CoH in the start of your post. Just because you don't like a game does not make it trash. A lot of people do like it. I like CoH and feel about WoW the same as you feel about CoH. I don't run around spouting that WoW is trash though.

Exactly what I thought.  Dang troll.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Anyways... moving on to the question, I dont know if you would like this game if you disliked COH.

Frankly we just dont know enough about the game. Although for the most part COH was a very lovingly crafter game. Im not to worried about the game mechanics. Im more worried about a flexible storyline. COH tended to be a amusement part style of game you couldnt deviate to far down one path or the other.

• marsellomarsello Member Posts: 1

First of all, for truth's sake, CoH does NOT suck. CoH is a well balanced game, with a good structure for PvP, graphics that we could call still decent today and very good team play.

The rest is a matter of taste.

About STO, unfortunately Cryptic, as any other industry, is purely profit oriented, that leads to multi-platform games, which is the worst part of any game. Champions online, STO, will have to be adapted to a gamepad. And no matter how advanced gamepads can be today, they are far limited compared to the old style mouse+keyboard. At least when it comes for MMORPGs.

However, the RPG part is hard to find lately... no matter what you play, if its CoH, the childish WoW, SWG or even anarchy online. All comes down to buffs, debuffs, healers and tankers.

All Captains yeah... sad but necessary choice if you ask me. How to organize it otherwise?

It is true, look at aaalll those RPG play-bymail or forum trek based. Its indeed a succesfull industry, where everyone dreams of being the CMO, CSO or the counsellor, or the tactical officer etc.

I have read the forums a bit and find it a bit odd that people defends the time it takes to develop this title. They are developing SW Old Republic, wanna bet in the long run they will release earlier?

5 years developement is common? Hmmm... Have you checked out Funcom's timings? or Sony Entertainment?

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Really? Ive yet to play a mmo where I needed more keys the the buttons on my 360 controller. Also why the hell when people hear multiplatform its "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING THIS GAME WILL BE FOR 12 YEAR OLD KIDS WHO THINK THEY ARE LEET AND IT WILL HAVE NO DEPTH" I mean come on, not even in closed beta. Wait to see how hey handle the console berison of champions before calling doom.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD