Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not for casuals

I like that I can always jump into a BG/SC whenever and wherever.  It's a little silly and pointless and quakish but still fun.  I don't like that my melee characters need the good gear and the only way to get that is from keeps that they can't get into without starting a raid (or from PQs which, again, need to start a group).  I play order and the keeps are all Destro controlled and the PQs are empty in the 15-20 range on my server.  I also don't like the fact that objectives are all guarded by elites which means I can't contribute to RvR without joining a group or following one around.

Effectively - I have to join an active guild if I want to do anything other than BGs/SCs (and even then, to be competitive I need gear that can't be gotten without a group).

The population issues are only going to get worse as other trials bail for other or similar reasons (and PQs and random keep raids become harder to populate).  I'm out.

Great intro though.

Comments

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

I'm having a similar issue with the game although I'm not really bothered about getting the best gear. I'm on a highly populated server that is often completely full at peak times. At these times I can generally get a group for a PQ although half of them are often empty. The RvR areas are always dead though because everyone is busy in the scenarios......which kind of makes me wonder if maybe the game should have simply been purely scenario or RvR based but not both.

Because such a large number of the players are off in alternate dimensions I often feel like the actual game world (if you can call it that) is deserted. Also because the only way to communicate with people is by being in a guild it often feels to me as though I am playing a really simplistic single player game. The only encounter I've had in the RvR areas in the past week has been a lone high level Orc who was running around taking the towers on his own. Needless to say he killed me with ease because he had a higher number floating over his head.

The thing is it didnt even matter. No-one is bothered about the RvR areas because it doesnt effect their ability to go up levels which is what WAR is really all about (like most mmos basicly). As long as they can grind out exp and RP in the scenarios then thats all that matters. In fact to be honest I have kind of given up on the whole open RvR aspect of the game because its just useless. Even when I try to get people together to take a keep back they just dont want to because they are either doing PvE quests, repeating PQ's for the rewards or grinding away in scenarios. There basicly just isnt any reason to go into the open RvR areas so people just ignore them. People barely seem to talk to each other in this game other than to maybe say hi and cya when they all pop in and out of groups.

.......and now I'm finding myself doing the same. I'm just grinding my way through the tedious PvE "content", jumping into PQ's when I see other players doing them and teleporting into the same old scenario over and over again because its the only way to get any decent PvP action. I'm gonna keep playing WAR for the next few weeks until my free month expires and then I think thats probably it for me. Battlefield 2142 is a MUCH better PvP game and it doesnt have all the boring bits that WAR does. You also dont have to pay a monthly fee to play it either.

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

I'll take a look at Battlefield 2142

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Fennris

That game sucks. Buy Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Ignore the above post. Battlefield 2142 is an awesome game. In fact so is Battlefield 2......but of course check out Quake Wars as well if you like. All of them are MMO's that crush WAR with ease. They dont have the RPG aspect of course but then who cares about that in todays so-called roleplaying games anyway?

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

I seriously don't understand why you think this.  All of the gear I am wearing right now is either gear I got from solo questing or renown gear.  My gear isnt the absolute best but it's defeintly good enough I excell in RvR.  Why do you think you need to raid keeps to get decent gear?

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Rollotamasi

I seriously don't understand why you think this.  All of the gear I am wearing right now is either gear I got from solo questing or renown gear.  My gear isnt the absolute best but it's defeintly good enough I excell in RvR.  Why do you think you need to raid keeps to get decent gear?

I agree.

OP...

I have the best gear that I can have for my levels. And I have not joined a guild as of yet. As far as Public Quests, you only have to top out your bar for that chapter. In order to do that you don't need to do all the levels of a Public Quest. There are parts where you essentially just kill mobs and get  points for each one. Do that a few times and you will have topped off your renown.

As far as scenarios, just play them and you will rise in those points as well.

This is the easiest game I have ever played with regards to leveling or equipment. And, if you can visit the capital city and look at the Auction house, you can also get some good gear.

The only thing I can think of is that you are playing a support class and are having troubles in PQ's?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I like that I can always jump into a BG/SC whenever and wherever.  It's a little silly and pointless and quakish but still fun.  I don't like that my melee characters need the good gear and the only way to get that is from keeps that they can't get into without starting a raid (or from PQs which, again, need to start a group).  I play order and the keeps are all Destro controlled and the PQs are empty in the 15-20 range on my server.  I also don't like the fact that objectives are all guarded by elites which means I can't contribute to RvR without joining a group or following one around.
    Effectively - I have to join an active guild if I want to do anything other than BGs/SCs (and even then, to be competitive I need gear that can't be gotten without a group).
    The population issues are only going to get worse as other trials bail for other or similar reasons (and PQs and random keep raids become harder to populate).  I'm out.
    Great intro though.

game is fine for casuals.

All the gear can be gotten by anyone.  You can do quests, find a group raiding a keep (and raid with them) to get the renown gear.. It's sad to read your post.. I'm mostly sad by the fact you've gotten lazy and instead of actually trying to get the gear (Like, from, you know.. doing quests and PQ's) you feel the need to bitch about it. You played WoW too much and it's stunted you.  You tink GEAR is end all be all.  No Skill.  I hardly play parts of the game where you get gear from drops.  And I'm out fitted just fine (3.7k HP at 20 with my sorcerer.. and we had to take a keep last night to get the gear.  All of the other T2 keeps were order controlled)

I play in an active guild, however, I rarely do anything with them.  So.. that excuse isn't vaild either..

All i really see is you searching for a reason to complain.    No offense..  but it's just another bitch/whine post. 

Have a good day.. and don't let the door hit you when you head back to WotLK. 

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

This game can be for casuals, its just not a Solo game, well except for most of the quests they can be soloed.   I play on a Medium population server and I can usually find enough people to do PQ's.   I don't do them every day but you just have to find open parties, which Ive come to see that some  people  don't know that you can do open parties. Ive had people ask me so many times if they could group with me and they didn't know about Open parties, which is one of the many great aspects of this game.

Originally posted by Random_mage

Great intro though.

game is fine for casuals.

All the gear can be gotten by anyone.  You can do quests, find a group raiding a keep (and raid with them) to get the renown gear.. It's sad to read your post.. I'm mostly sad by the fact you've gotten lazy and instead of actually trying to get the gear (Like, from, you know.. doing quests and PQ's) you feel the need to bitch about it. You played WoW too much and it's stunted you.  You tink GEAR is end all be all.  No Skill.  I hardly play parts of the game where you get gear from drops.  And I'm out fitted just fine (3.7k HP at 20 with my sorcerer.. and we had to take a keep last night to get the gear.  All of the other T2 keeps were order controlled)

I play in an active guild, however, I rarely do anything with them.  So.. that excuse isn't vaild either..

All i really see is you searching for a reason to complain.    No offense..  but it's just another bitch/whine post. 

Have a good day.. and don't let the door hit you when you head back to WotLK. 

The thing is that  in WoW it was even worse.  You had to run the 5/10 main instances to get decent gear as solo quest gear was pretty much crap.  A lot of the solo quest gear in WaR is really nice stuff.  And the influence rewards are cake to get.  Unless a new set of gear magically apears in your inventory every time you lvl, I can't see getting good gear being any eaiser then it is in WaR.

• DicentraDicentra Member Posts: 3

in the other W game you have to raid to get gear, not saying he is playing it or bashing that game. But the mentality " only with purples will you suceed" that game has  is comming into war.

Open rvr is only active on my server on the weekends, so I try to do that part of the game at that time.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

In WOW it depends what you want to do. You don't raid to get PvP gear.

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

I'm a casual gamer and I disagree with what the OP is saying. Sheesh...sounds like a group help thing.

I play about 2-3 hours a night at most. Am level 15, been playing since retail release.  Last night I jumped on at about 7pm and played till around 10pm. Soon as I logged on, within 2 mins I had a couple solo quests to run.

My gear is excellent gear...not gear I rx'd from pvp or rvr or pq's. I purchased it at the auction. It does me very well in solo and pretty good in pvp. I have no complaints.

While on the way to do the first quest, I ran by a scenario area where about 5 players were fighting on part 1. I ran up to them, joined the group (didn't have to ask...just click to join) and finished that one. Went on the complete quest, grabbed two more and ran across two more group scenarios with people there.

Ran more quests, wandered into a RvR area and helped battle against some Order guys who whooped us pretty good. Was still alot of fun though I died three times. In my death, I did manage to keep their healers busy dodging me and not healing their group members.

Sorry, I don't get the OPs complaints and haven't experienced his problems at all. I play on Avelorn...a MDM/MDM server.

Originally posted by Pheace

In WOW it depends what you want to do. You don't raid to get PvP gear.

You don't anymore.  Before the first expansion (When I played) you did.  Only way to get gear was 5/10 man instances and raids. 

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

.. So.. if we all agree that the gear is easy to get..  Then what's the moaning about?? Because there's no "/GIVE purples Fawt LOoTz" command?

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

Pretend that there are servers where all keeps in a certain level range are Destro controlled almost all of the time (over the last 4 days, I've checked at least 8 times and not found one that wasn't).  Pretend that there are people that don't want to wear someone's stupid guild tags nor join Destro.  And pretend that most group invites are ignored and general calls to arms are also ignored (if they are even heard). 

Tell me how a casual player in the above scenario is going to keep his reknown gear up to date?  Tell me how this is going to get easier in the future?  Should we all just roll the classes that don't need decent gear (my BW and WP are 12 but I did confirm that neither fit my idea of fun)?  Should Order just fold and join Destro?

I could organize keep assaults (I did in Shadowbane).  I could get my WH geared up every few levels.  I have organized PQ groups in zones that were dead.  These things all require more committment, more begging, more spamming, more organizing and a lot more frustration than I want to deal with in a game.  That is why I say it is 'Not for casuals'.  And that is why I'm moving on.

• Originally posted by Fennris

Pretend that there are servers where all keeps in a certain level range are Destro controlled almost all of the time (over the last 4 days, I've checked at least 8 times and not found one that wasn't).  Pretend that there are people that don't want to wear someone's stupid guild tags nor join Destro.  And pretend that most group invites are ignored and general calls to arms are also ignored (if they are even heard). 
    Tell me how a casual player in the above scenario is going to keep his reknown gear up to date?  Tell me how this is going to get easier in the future?  Should we all just roll the classes that don't need decent gear (my BW and WP are 12 but I did confirm that neither fit my idea of fun)?  Should Order just fold and join Destro?
    I could organize keep assaults (I did in Shadowbane).  I could get my WH geared up every few levels.  I have organized PQ groups in zones that were dead.  These things all require more committment, more begging, more spamming, more organizing and a lot more frustration than I want to deal with in a game.  That is why I say it is 'Not for casuals'.  And that is why I'm moving on.

Only two ways to get renown gear. 

1) have a rank 2 city and a rank 4 guild

2) your side needs to have a keep of the right level.

Taking a keep without having a guild or getting on some kind of alliance channel run by a guild is highly unlikely

So yes without a guild and since most servers are completely dominated by destro it could be hard.

I will say the server I played on was and is very much outnumbered and order was quite low population and my guild was able to take keeps in both t2 and t3 and Altdorf is rank 3.  

But if we had not recruited until we became the largest Order guild on the server all keeps everywhere would be Destruction.

If you don't want to get seriously screwed you have to get lucky or do an assload of research.  Or roll easy mode destruction.

I guess the answere is if you want to be casual.  Make things worse and roll destruction its kind of stupid, but I guess that is all you got.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

Casual does not and never has meant lazy, stupid, crap player.    

If a team of 8-10 can take a keep - explain how u are so emotianally retarded that you cant find a more "casual" players to manage that simple task.

If the other side have your keeps you are meant to try and ge tthem back see - thats a substantial part of the game - involves a bit of skill bit f thought effort rtc if you are on certain servers.   Otherwise accept pve gear plety of it around and in fact you could prob play naked save a weapon - hows thats for casual ?

How about pve - you cba to orgaise groups / make friends or wear "stupid guild tags" or make your own presumably leet Guild tag

Gets easier in the furure idf you make sure if you have children you dont drop them on their heads fro ma height .

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

i cant believe what im seeing with this thread...

there is no game out that is as friendly to casuals as war...none.

really i dont beleive what im seeing here

the op should start a thread titled "all war needs is RvR"

really he must be in fantasy land.  I play only a few hours a day mabey 4-5 days a week if i can. Its great i can just jump right into the action without having to grind to endgame then grind for gear.

theres plenty of guilds where the players play on the weekends or after work, ask around youll find one.

really i hope the op was joking about this being a game not for casuals..

really you just need to find a decent guild, or find a solo pve game, if you are unable to be socially outgoing and find a casual guild.

• Originally posted by Sharne

Actually the keeps are really doable for a casual. I have been involved in two Tier 2 keep battles the last two nights, one defending a keep and one taking a keep. Just wander into the RVR areas in of the tier 2 areas and you will soon find an open RVR warband, join it listen to the instructions and voila. Sure they are more demanding than PVE quests but hey thats the whole point. The point is they are very very accessable if you are willing to look for them (and I am on a low population server, order side) and willing to group

As with everything else in WAR this varies wildly depending on population.

• SarocSaroc Member UncommonPosts: 37

OP: Why don't you join open parties and warbands? There are loads of them out there. You don't have to be in a guild to take a keep. Or complete PQ's.

If you spam invites however, i'm not surprised if they are ignored. Personally i find it rude to invite someone without talking to them first (unless it's an ad hoc situation).

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I think the game is great for casuals. Tons of things to do, most of it soloable. Plenty of PvE quests. Scenarios. You can grind out PQ Influence for chapter rewards solo and the same chapter in different Tiers offer different rewards.

Now, to the other subject that popped up in this thread, I agree that something needs to be done to provide much greater incentive for partaking in the RvR lakes.

It's harder to organize for the RvR lakes than just joining a scenario and requires a bigger time investment as well. The rewards should be superior to Scenarios, rather than significantly less so.

There are many approaches they could take to this, but what ever they decide on, they need to do something.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Originally posted by Sharne

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by Sharne

Actually the keeps are really doable for a casual. I have been involved in two Tier 2 keep battles the last two nights, one defending a keep and one taking a keep. Just wander into the RVR areas in of the tier 2 areas and you will soon find an open RVR warband, join it listen to the instructions and voila. Sure they are more demanding than PVE quests but hey thats the whole point. The point is they are very very accessable if you are willing to look for them (and I am on a low population server, order side) and willing to group

As with everything else in WAR this varies wildly depending on population.

Hence the reason I put the footnote about my servers population. I am on a low order population server, so if I can find them on my server, it can't be that hard to find them

If you are in the wrong tier is can be be literally impossible. 

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Saroc

OP: Why don't you join open parties and warbands? There are loads of them out there. You don't have to be in a guild to take a keep. Or complete PQ's.
    If you spam invites however, i'm not surprised if they are ignored. Personally i find it rude to invite someone without talking to them first (unless it's an ad hoc situation).

I used to find it rude to ninja invite people but now that there is open parties but yet people don't join them I sometimes ninja invite people.  If I ask first and nobody answers and were all here doing a PQ sometimes i just give them an invite anyways. If they join cool if not oh well.   It won't be my fault when they healer cant heal them in time when they are running and they have to try to click on them to heal.

Ive said this in other posts but Ive met quite a few people that didn't know about Open Parties.