Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Robotech or Macross MMO

You know me and several friends that I play MMO's with been talking about how cool it would be if someone were to make a Robotech or Macross MMO. Considering the rich storlines, the varied different ways that a company can go with the game. The fanbase is already there, you talk to anyone that has ever watched an anime and I will guarentee that 95% of them has seen either robotech or macross. I would like to start a petition for a respectable game company to take a look at possibly making a Robotech or Macross MMO, Iam postive that Iam not the only one out there that has often thought about this and how cool it would be to play.

Think about it for a moment, they are making a robotech movie, the kid that played spider-man bought the rights to it and is starring as Rick Hunter. The movie would be a great way for a company to make an MMO based on either of those 2 very popular series. The robotech series maybe over but the Macross series is still very much alive and well in Japan. So pleaee take those into consideration about this type of game.

WHO ELSE OUT THERE WOULD LOVE TO SEE AN MMO BASED ON EITHER OF THESE 2 AWESOME SERIES?!?!!?

Comments

• hallyohallyo Member Posts: 44

Arent they the same thing?

• gasarakigasaraki Member Posts: 6

No, not really robotech were 3 different stories that Carl Masek rewrote to make 1 continous story and the 3 original stories were actualy based on Macross movies but are very much different in story.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I like the Macross saga, but the rest of Robotech/Macross I'm not a big fan of.  It had the best characters and the most interesting story IMO.  I'm not sure how it would work in an MMO though.  It was made a very long time ago.  I love the planes turning into robots. 

• oppai_okioppai_oki Member Posts: 3

Both are good. But how the hell are you gonna make an MMO for that? These are mechs. The only thing i can think of is Action based. Mechs Wacking off each other. Maybe FPS? Dunno...

Fluffy, fluffy, fluffy... The heaven is in sleeping in a woman's bust.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Macross ftw :)

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I was a huge Robotech fan when I was a kid, I actually have the DVD collection xD. I think Robotech would make a great MMo as long as it wasn't built by a crappy Asian MMo studio. There is a fan version in the works, but it's been being developed for years now. I doubt it will ever become playable unless they use an exsiting game engine. www.robotechmmo.com/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by oppai_oki

Both are good. But how the hell are you gonna make an MMO for that? These are mechs. The only thing i can think of is Action based. Mechs Wacking off each other. Maybe FPS? Dunno...

oh you nasty man.

Phaserlight
  • Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by gasaraki

You know me and several friends that I play MMO's with been talking about how cool it would be if someone were to make a Robotech or Macross MMO. Considering the rich storlines, the varied different ways that a company can go with the game. The fanbase is already there, you talk to anyone that has ever watched an anime and I will guarentee that 95% of them has seen either robotech or macross. I would like to start a petition for a respectable game company to take a look at possibly making a Robotech or Macross MMO, Iam postive that Iam not the only one out there that has often thought about this and how cool it would be to play.
                              Think about it for a moment, they are making a robotech movie, the kid that played spider-man bought the rights to it and is starring as Rick Hunter. The movie would be a great way for a company to make an MMO based on either of those 2 very popular series. The robotech series maybe over but the Macross series is still very much alive and well in Japan. So pleaee take those into consideration about this type of game.

WHO ELSE OUT THERE WOULD LOVE TO SEE AN MMO BASED ON EITHER OF THESE 2 AWESOME SERIES?!?!!?

If you are looking for a Macross-like-universe MMO, i can recommend keeping an eye for MMO with a title " BlackStar ". Featuring:

Preproduction gameplay Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRL7KZ0tJk0

A new breed of game, Blackstar resurrects the dream of online space combat with real-time spaceflight featuring fast and nimble fighter-craft loaded with devastating sci-fi weapons.

You aren’t limited to the canopy: get out of your ship and hit the deck for fast paced ground combat on the surface of alien worlds and aboard enemy ships.

Combine spell-casting with real time shooting as you blast through enemies, collect loot, and gain levels in a variety of unique alien environments.

Join up with your friends in maneuverable fleet formations to take on capital ships and enemy starbases in epic large scale battles.

Play as a member of one of two galaxy-spanning factions: the hopeful and technologically advanced United Colonies or the dangerous, prophecy-guided Scorn Empire.

Choose your role in the fight from a variety of powerful classes: From deadly Assassins operating behind the enemy lines, to powerful Crusaders who shrug off damage and unleash volleys of blistering fire, pick the role that matches your style of play.

Participate in a rich story as the forces of futuristic technology and mind-twisting magic clash in a battle to decide the fate of the galaxy.

Declare war against other players and destroy them in action packed player-vs-player combat that serves all levels of skill from the freshest cadet to the deadliest ace

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Macross is much more open ended then Robotech and would probably make the better back drop story for an MMORPG. Especially when you look at Macross Plus and Macross II and Macross 13, all of them are basically non-related stories.

With Robotech you get caught up and trapped in that linear storyline like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings and we all know how that ends up...

• whistlinjoe2whistlinjoe2 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Torak

Macross is much more open ended then Robotech and would probably make the better back drop story for an MMORPG. Especially when you look at Macross Plus and Macross II and Macross 13, all of them are basically non-related stories.
    With Robotech you get caught up and trapped in that linear storyline like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings and we all know how that ends up...

I prefer the bastardized American version to the Japanese version because I grew around the American version.

Actually, there are huge gaps of time in the Robotech story that are open ended.  The most obvious one would be where Robotech: The Sentinels was supposed to fill in, but was never officially released and deals with Rick Hunter's fleet exploring the galaxy for Robotech Masters (Breetai, Exedore, Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes/Hunter as well as numerous others were all in it).   It takes place after the Macross Saga, during the Robotech Masters series, and starts to culminate after the Invid Invasion series when The Shadow Chronicles movie begins.  There is a whole lot of unwritten story there to be played with.

Both Star Wars and Middle Earth have an incredible amount of freespace to be played in, but the MMO games were just placed within a strict timeline.  Doesn't mean they all have to be that way.

Originally posted by whistlinjoe2

Both Star Wars and Middle Earth have an incredible amount of freespace to be played in, but the MMO games were just placed within a strict timeline.  Doesn't mean they all have to be that way.

Completely true BUT you see where MMO devs took those titles.

I agree on Robotech also, I just don't have any confidence in MMO designers. The more lore and material you give them the less they are able to do with it. Its really wierd.

• coolandcleancoolandclean Member Posts: 10

I would like to see both of them though. Not much of a difference if they make it into a game. Of course storylines woudl vary.

• ardohainardohain Member Posts: 103

ohhh hell yes pls. i can see several ways the macross/robotech universe could be passed into the mmo world.

1. faction based. you choose human or zentradi. this one is fairly straight forward in terms of both pve and pvp possibilities.

2. player characters human restricted. this option would require the game to be more pve oriented with pvp options centering around sparing/arena/mock training battles so the humans could be better suited for the war against the zentradi.

3. skill based. this game would be excellent for fusing both 3rd person and 1st person game play

4. variety. imagine the options you'd have developing skills in human form and then on top of that mech improvements. and then, depending on how deep you were in the story, your mech could be the jet, motorcycle armor suit, etc...

the possibilities are great. would love to see this happen. wont hold my breath however.... thanks for all the other links in this thread.

• the only problem i could see would be makinig the pacing of the game feel right.  Now i havent tried exteel, or really any other mech mmo, but when i think of a good giant mech gaming experience i think of the armored core series.  Fast high strung action, and slower heavier mechs built in.  Something like Robotech/Macross where you should be able to switch modes on the fly, i dont see something that would need to be at such a fast pace, surviving as an MMO because of the restrictions of all the variables that all the computer systems and internet speeds.

That being said, maybe it would work well on a console, because then they would know what kind of hardware that they would be working with.  The game would also have to be an action rpg style, probably like Too Human.   But i do believe there would possibly be enough fanbase for the game to grab hold, but i dont think it is universal enough to blow up like WoW did, and things like WAR have a chance to, because everyone knows the basics of elves and dwarves, even the many, many 30, 35, 40+ year-olds that enjoy WoW and WAR.  So it would definitely be a niche game at best were it ever to come to fruition.

But every MMO i have played that I have prought up this discussion, the majority of the players and I mean about 90-95% of the players all would love it, just because of the transformable mecha and the non-transformable mecha, and the amount of content that could be filled into a game like that. I agree that it will be best on a console but but then again thats what joysticks are for:). And the amount of various storylines would be immense. although I think the macross series would be much more enjoyable since it was the original and macross is still going very strong in Japan now and the setting is now in space since the UN has established colonies throughout the universe the game could be endless, although I do believe that it cannot be lvl based.....it makes more sense to have it be more like EVE, skill based.

• summit1000summit1000 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by ardohain

ohhh hell yes pls. i can see several ways the macross/robotech universe could be passed into the mmo world.
    1. faction based. you choose human or zentradi. this one is fairly straight forward in terms of both pve and pvp possibilities.
    2. player characters human restricted. this option would require the game to be more pve oriented with pvp options centering around sparing/arena/mock training battles so the humans could be better suited for the war against the zentradi.
    3. skill based. this game would be excellent for fusing both 3rd person and 1st person game play
    4. variety. imagine the options you'd have developing skills in human form and then on top of that mech improvements. and then, depending on how deep you were in the story, your mech could be the jet, motorcycle armor suit, etc...
    the possibilities are great. would love to see this happen. wont hold my breath however.... thanks for all the other links in this thread.

good post. i agree with all of it plus i can see that its really feasible.

Originally posted by Jonas_SG

Originally posted by gasaraki

If you are looking for a Macross-like-universe MMO, i can recommend keeping an eye for MMO with a title " BlackStar ". Featuring:

Preproduction gameplay Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRL7KZ0tJk0

A new breed of game, Blackstar resurrects the dream of online space combat with real-time spaceflight featuring fast and nimble fighter-craft loaded with devastating sci-fi weapons.

You aren’t limited to the canopy: get out of your ship and hit the deck for fast paced ground combat on the surface of alien worlds and aboard enemy ships.

Combine spell-casting with real time shooting as you blast through enemies, collect loot, and gain levels in a variety of unique alien environments.

Join up with your friends in maneuverable fleet formations to take on capital ships and enemy starbases in epic large scale battles.

Play as a member of one of two galaxy-spanning factions: the hopeful and technologically advanced United Colonies or the dangerous, prophecy-guided Scorn Empire.

Choose your role in the fight from a variety of powerful classes: From deadly Assassins operating behind the enemy lines, to powerful Crusaders who shrug off damage and unleash volleys of blistering fire, pick the role that matches your style of play.

Participate in a rich story as the forces of futuristic technology and mind-twisting magic clash in a battle to decide the fate of the galaxy.

Declare war against other players and destroy them in action packed player-vs-player combat that serves all levels of skill from the freshest cadet to the deadliest ace

To bad it's been canceled

SWG Bloodfin vet

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

Yep...a Robotech MMO would rock. But it will never happen.

Harmony Gold are a bunch of morons, to start. Second off, every time they DO make a Robotech game, it's some cheap little console thing with about 8 hours of play time in a limited, linear fashion.

I, and several others, have been calling for a RT game on the PC for years now. Even "Battlecry", if released on the PC, would have enjoyed a moderate lifespan. People like me would be making mods for it, and we'd probably still be playing it.

Instead, they ignored us, and now you can get the game in bargain bins for $2.

They didn't learn, though...."Invasion" suffered the same fate.

So, they have pretty much given up entirely on the idea of RT games. They fail to understand, even after all the fans screaming at them, that cheap console titles aren't the way to make games with any type of longevity.

Most of us old-timers over at Robotech.com pretty much gave up. They even implemented a forum rule ("no console bashing") as a result of the flame wars that erupted when they refused to listen to the fans, and decided it would be easier to just ban posters, and delete threads complaining about the issues.

Yeah, as someone mentioned...there has been an indy project in the works forever now...but it's not going anywhere, let's be honest.

As long as Harmony Gold holds the RT license, we'll never see anything worthwhile from the IP.

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

Originally posted by Wharmaster

Yep...a Robotech MMO would rock. But it will never happen.
    Harmony Gold are a bunch of morons, to start. Second off, every time they DO make a Robotech game, it's some cheap little console thing with about 8 hours of play time in a limited, linear fashion.
    I, and several others, have been calling for a RT game on the PC for years now. Even "Battlecry", if released on the PC, would have enjoyed a moderate lifespan. People like me would be making mods for it, and we'd probably still be playing it.
    Instead, they ignored us, and now you can get the game in bargain bins for $2.
    They didn't learn, though...."Invasion" suffered the same fate.
    So, they have pretty much given up entirely on the idea of RT games. They fail to understand, even after all the fans screaming at them, that cheap console titles aren't the way to make games with any type of longevity.
    Most of us old-timers over at Robotech.com pretty much gave up. They even implemented a forum rule ("no console bashing") as a result of the flame wars that erupted when they refused to listen to the fans, and decided it would be easier to just ban posters, and delete threads complaining about the issues.
    Yeah, as someone mentioned...there has been an indy project in the works forever now...but it's not going anywhere, let's be honest.
    As long as Harmony Gold holds the RT license, we'll never see anything worthwhile from the IP.

There is soooo much there to use. I have the most of the book series up to book 21 and the amount of content they could draw from the books for an MMO is massive.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

See, I've always thought that a RT MMO would work great during the Invid occupation of Earth. Ruined cities, caches of RT weapons and mecha, needing to find or steal protoculture to fuel your weapons and such. Raids on Invid hives...etc.

Or...maybe during the construction period of the SDF-2...Zentraedi malcontents raiding towns and villages, RDF fighting them off....terrorist factions, etc.

The wealth of material is pretty staggering.

Maybe the Mecha fighting system could handle a bit like vehicles in SW: Battlefront 2. I thought those vehicles handled very well, including the fighters. Twitch combat in vehicles, with skill modifiers....maybe even based off the Palladium RPG system.

The potential is there...but no one will likely ever take advantage of it.

What a shame

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

I grew up watching Robotech and still love it dearly. It's actually the only anime series I've ever been interested in. A Robotech MMO would be something I'd jump into for sure.

Macross, on the other hand, is foreign to me and I have no interest in it whatsoever. I probably wouldn't even give a Macross MMO a first glance, to be honest.

Originally posted by Wharmaster

See, I've always thought that a RT MMO would work great during the Invid occupation of Earth. Ruined cities, caches of RT weapons and mecha, needing to find or steal protoculture to fuel your weapons and such. Raids on Invid hives...etc.
    Or...maybe during the construction period of the SDF-2...Zentraedi malcontents raiding towns and villages, RDF fighting them off....terrorist factions, etc.
    The wealth of material is pretty staggering.
    Maybe the Mecha fighting system could handle a bit like vehicles in SW: Battlefront 2. I thought those vehicles handled very well, including the fighters. Twitch combat in vehicles, with skill modifiers....maybe even based off the Palladium RPG system.
    The potential is there...but no one will likely ever take advantage of it.
    What a shame

There is a console game called "Robotech Battlecry" that is pretty decent. IMHO, it gives a very good feel of what mecha combat could be like, everything from transforming in combat to shooting down missiles with your gunpod.

There is also a Third Generation game (Invid Invasion era), I forgot the name though. I only played a few hours of it.

• ferdzantukinferdzantukin Member Posts: 5

what's the difference with this two? hmm, if i remember it correctly, i like macross better.. this would be a good mmo, as mech types of games have a good number of fans..

Macross would definitly be better then robotech IMO, just because macross is the TRUE version of the story not the basterdized version. And the fact that they are still making Macross series now!!! Macross Frontiers anyone? A HUGE amount of content is available in the macross series not only in the original series but all the other series as well, except for macross II which according to the official timeline never happend (thank god!!) but if they do one in the macross frontiers series where they are in space fighting a completely alien species, then the sky and the imagination is the limit, but I agree with all of you though....that I dont think Harmony Gold or the Japanese company that owns the macross title will ever see the value in making an MMO of the either series, despite the fact of the millions of fans that would play it faithfully if done even semi-correctly.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Hmmm.... A big robot MMO.

Sounds good.

I'll put that down on my mmo wish list along with horror, western and cyberpunk mmos.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing