Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A player's state of the game - fantastic post on SoE forums

For those who have not yet seen this, Xing Yuen from Naritus posted an eloquent and well thought out review of the game's progression from new world to dissappointingly broken. While having an obvious point of view, this is one of the clearest and best written posts I have seen concerning the issues that plague SWG at this point, and what is needed, but unlikely to happen, to fix them.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=GCW&message.id=247739&page=1

A well thought out post by a well respected player, and a good, if long, read.

Akelan

Comments

• DewfireDewfire Member Posts: 89

...and if you'd looked at the forum before posting you'd of seen this already posted here image

image  still a good post though all the same hehe

Dewfire Gnome Paladin EQ2
    Retired: AO, DAOC, EQ, SWG

•  Yes, that post by that player is also an excellent example of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

If there is any chance for players to get things done, they should follow his lead. image

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by xplororor

Yes, that post by that player is also an excellent example of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.
    If there is any chance for players to get things done, they should follow his lead. image

One of the best "I quit SWG" threads I've ever read. I didn't make an I quit thread when I stopped playing, just gave my accounts to my friend and moved on, but I read many I quit threads since things started going down hill. A lot of what he wrote was very similar to what I experienced. Right down to how I found PVP to be the most fun ever in that game! In the end though there wasn't much left for me to stay for. Most of my friends were playing other games, and those that were left ended up coming with me to AC2. SWG still was a great experience, from release date to the time I quit. I just hope it doesn't crash and burn into the ground as stated in that post. Hopefully one day that game becomes the game I once dreamed of.image

Currently Playing: AC2, WW2Online
    Retired: Everquest, DAoC
    Quit: SWG

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• JBO1JBO1 Member Posts: 277

All I have to say is WOW! That guy hit exactly my entire feelings about the game after I decided to leave after 1yr of playing...it's a pitty too the game has such potential....good find EXCELLENT read.

(Moved my origional post.)

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

True, a well written post...

Call me a cynic but all is see is a avid pvper who hates the idea that one class should own in the pvp arena. PvP is weak in SWG everyone knows that.

Just seems it's the usual i'm unhappy with the game and subsequent disection of everything about SWG to justify their unhappiness.

Dress it up no matter how much you want....he's unhappy PVP is weak, and one class will rule it all, then start talking about bugs and other reasons to justify his account cancelation.

I much prefer Slangers opinion about SWG....he quit without need for leaving post and wishes SWG well in the future.

Pan

Pan

Originally posted by panache
    True, a well written post...
    Call me a cynic but all is see is a avid pvper who hates the idea that one class should own in the pvp arena. PvP is weak in SWG everyone knows that.
    Just seems it's the usual i'm unhappy with the game and subsequent disection of everything about SWG to justify their unhappiness.
    Dress it up no matter how much you want....he's unhappy PVP is weak, and one class will rule it all, then start talking about bugs and other reasons to justify his account cancelation.
    I much prefer Slangers opinion about SWG....he quit without need for leaving post and wishes SWG well in the future.Pan

Yes I can see that, but you can't affect change if you walk away and say nothing. I for one left a much shorter post for my friends in game and they understood. The game does have many problems, if SOE doesn't start listening to people and treating them as expendable for the next guy with a wallet they will find it difficult to find anyone to play their games.

If you walk away quietly how do you affect change, all be it this person did it in story format, but all I really saw was SOE and people of the SWG universe "please listen to reason". Look at EQ2, some people try to make it look bad based off the fact that SWG is having customer trouble, when both games aren't even related. If SOE creates bad press in one game, it can spill over into another. Why should games like EQ2 suffer for whats going on in SWG? By at least vocalizing how they feel and why, they hope SOE will snap too and listen...maybe

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

I remember people telling me long before SWG was released "they would never again touch a SOE product" from their experiences on EQ. SOE's bad press didn't really spill over to SWG. People still moved to SWG in their droves

From my guilds forums i see many have pre-odered EQ2. Some are dabbling on Daoc and majority of them bored!

Maybe if SWG had been developed by gamers instead of corporate suits it would be a better mmorpg. Corporations can close down factories causing unemployment...think they worry about the server population of a game?

A quote from PCZone regarding EQ2's LIve summit meeting

"SOE have always had a good reputation of listening to the needs and feedback of it's legion of subscribers"

Yea right! They will do what they want to do

Pan

Pan

Originally posted by panache
    I remember people telling me long before SWG was released "they would never again touch a SOE product" from their experiences on EQ. SOE's bad press didn't really spill over to SWG. People still moved to SWG in their droves
    From my guilds forums i see many have pre-odered EQ2. Some are dabbling on Daoc and majority of them bored!
    Maybe if SWG had been developed by gamers instead of corporate suits it would be a better mmorpg.
    A quote from PCZone regarding EQ2's fanfest meeting SOE have always had a good reputation of listening to the needs and feedback of it's legion of subscribersPan

Right...and I don't disagree with you...but thats my point. Will EQ2 survive off of it's original fan base alone or will they have to seek out new customers that have never played EQ before? SWG got a bad reputation wether people loyal to it like it or not. Wether people also like it or not EQ and EQ2 are associated with SOE, who put their backing behind all these games. It doesn't matter what present fans think of the game we know what that is, it's what the fans that will be made in the future for SOE games think. SWG is part of that image, your basic consumer that will buy this game may not care what a fan of EQ think if it is part of SOE and they have formed a negative opinion of the company, EQ2 may have trouble just from that.

SWG needs to improve and stop being a negative image for SOE so that all it's games WILL succeed. I'm sure you have a great guild and they have their opinions about this game and the future of other SOE games. But it's the new customers that SOE need to be concerned with to. People who have only played SWG need to be satisfied, customer satisfaction is customer satisfaction, and it can change the money SOE makes to run their games in the future....and thats a fact of buissiness. Does that make sense? SOE is a majoe corporation, they are out to make money in more than the gaming field, if a game fails in the future because of actions in the past they may just cut their losses and cancel the game...and that would suck for all their future games. Vocalizing why SWG needs changes is a start of something bigger...if the fans are willing to keep it up long enough.

Edit: As far as the bad press not spilling over at first to SWG...there are tons of Star Wars fans and buff that promoted and went to the game, there was another pull there entirely...

• AkelanAkelan Member Posts: 4

I think SoE is going to have to look to new players, rather than the EQ player base, for the most pare to make EQ2 viable. EQ2 is an also-ran to EQ, similar in some ways to the LDoN pack for EQ.

EQ2 will have much of what is wrong with SWG's PvE components designed in, as far as an experienced high-level EQ player will see it; nothing in EQ2 will require more than a 6-person group to beat, and undoubtedly a number of high level EQ players will set the mark by soloing the top content in EQ2 rather quickly.  EQ2 is being designed for the 1 - 2 hour gamer, to pop in, play for a while, maybe do a little crafting while talking to a few friends, then log out and go play CoH or something else for an hour. 

EQ's strength lies in the long term viability of its player's progress, and the content in EQ is staged to that progression over time. You build up a decent character, do the ring/shawl quests in Velious and your Epics, then get a guild keyed to enter Sleepers for primal weapons, do Temple of Veeshan for more gear upgrades, progress through Luclin, get the guild ready and take the Emperor in SSRA, then Vex Thal for the next stage of upgrades; progress through the lower planes, pass the trials and get flagged for the intermediate planes, getting the armor/weapon upgrades there, then into the elementals, then time. This core progression is what sets it apart from the other MMORPG types currently. Yes, you can play EQ for an hour or two a day and enjoy it; LDoN, the lower elementals and a good bit of the adjunct content is well suited for solo/small group entertainment, but the real 3 to 5 year core EQ player will look at SWG, EQ2 and many of the others and feel the "been there-done that" malaise in a very short time.

All the pretty characters and fancy graphics in the world will not make a lasting experience out of a game that lacks purpose.  Short of the PvP in SWG, there is very little that provides any purpose to a player's actions, and it gets old far too fast. Jedi is another short-lived stage in that; once you've become one, you have still more pointless grinding to get to uber status as a Jedi, and nothing much to do with it once you get there.

I have known Xing for quite a while in SWG, and his story is very well told. Make of it what you will; some posters here have obviously read it with their eyes closed already.

Akelan