Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling speed is a joke, seriously!

Ok guys, I tend to defend this game usually, but what I encounter now at level 25+ is a joke:

Didn't Mythic state that leveling to 40 was - in this game - just the path to the real RvR/PvP experience that comes with level 40 and renown ranks? Didn't they say leveling was pretty fast?

How exactly does Mythic define the term "pretty fast"? granted, I'm on a mid (MID,  not low) population server and on destruction, so I can't constantly scenario away, and I can't finish public quests because there are no people for it and no LFG to ask for people to join in. So what I CAN do to level up is quests, uum, quests, and umm, grind. Kick RvR, even in a heated battle you gain only by slain enemies, which is a joke, because you get mini portions of XY from killing people and it takes for - ever to gain a level.And by forever I mean theoretically DAYS of played time. It speaks volumes that nobody even does it, leveling only through RvR, everyone, and I'm on an open RvR server, says they go back to PvE when a siege is over.

Now this boils down to: RvR in peak times when RvR happens, PvE most of the time. And PvE boils down to "finish all quests" and change to different campaign area.

Before I get to the meat of this rant, let me say that I initially didn't want to play all three campaigns simulatenously but am ultimately forced by this:

Why the hell on earth does level 28 take about 100 quests to complete? And there are not 100, there are 40 in one level-area, throughout all three campaigns, at best. The rest of the time you can see if someone - with luck - does a public quest. If not, you are screwed and doomed to grind - your teeth as well as mobs.

I don't know how it may be in high population wonderland where you can join a scenario every 5 minutes. But on a mid populated server I am literally forced to grind if I want to advance -> That's a JOKE, it defies all you, Mythic, said during the whole development period. You said one could level without grinding. Thanks.

M

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

Takes a while doesnt it? I wish it was a bit faster, but its not really hampering my enjoyment... yet.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Carrot on a stick. They need the money.

• ManiaCCCManiaCCC Member Posts: 121
    Just for leveling speed..they never said they want fast leveling..they said they don't want faster leveling comparing to wow and they are aiming for 200 hours from rank 1 to 40 for semi-casuals.
  • BukoBuko Member Posts: 61

QQ, then re-roll?

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288
    Originally posted by Buko

QQ, then re-roll?

pretty much, I got to 17 on a sorc on a low-medium and it was awful. theres a reason its awful too. TO GET PEOPLE TO SWITCH TO ORDER.

wow its like, hmm, I could switch servers and be order and enjoy everything the game has to offer, or I can be stubborn and stick to my destro heavy med pop server and QQ on forums...

All of your problems are caused by the over population of destro to order, so theres nothing mythic needs to do but LOWER the exp gained from people like you who stick it out and grind it.

enjoy your R 40 RR 10 destro character.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

What I like about WAR and Mythic is they brought back the MM in MMORPG, I see all those thread complaining about grinding "I can not lvl up solo I have to grind......". You see, all those years, player like you who like to solo all games and do not even care about groups and guilds are now stuck because they have no clue how to do things when it requires a groups. I will tell you the exact same thing I said to everyone who seem to not understand the game.

1- Get a guild, will help you find groups for PQs

2- Use the looking for group botton

3- You do not have to do quest everywhere, only in one realm, but you have to mix it with all the PQ, RvR and Scenarios.

4- If you are not satisfied with your server, then just switch, on mine at prime time, scenario pop every minute.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Meridion

Ok guys, I tend to defend this game usually, but what I encounter now at level 25+ is a joke:
    Didn't Mythic state that leveling to 40 was - in this game - just the path to the real RvR/PvP experience that comes with level 40 and renown ranks? Didn't they say leveling was pretty fast?
    How exactly does Mythic define the term "pretty fast"? granted, I'm on a mid (MID,  not low) population server and on destruction, so I can't constantly scenario away, and I can't finish public quests because there are no people for it and no LFG to ask for people to join in. So what I CAN do to level up is quests, uum, quests, and umm, grind. Kick RvR, even in a heated battle you gain only by slain enemies, which is a joke, because you get mini portions of XY from killing people and it takes for - ever to gain a level.And by forever I mean theoretically DAYS of played time. It speaks volumes that nobody even does it, leveling only through RvR, everyone, and I'm on an open RvR server, says they go back to PvE when a siege is over.

Now this boils down to: RvR in peak times when RvR happens, PvE most of the time. And PvE boils down to "finish all quests" and change to different campaign area.
    Before I get to the meat of this rant, let me say that I initially didn't want to play all three campaigns simulatenously but am ultimately forced by this:

Why the hell on earth does level 28 take about 100 quests to complete? And there are not 100, there are 40 in one level-area, throughout all three campaigns, at best. The rest of the time you can see if someone - with luck - does a public quest. If not, you are screwed and doomed to grind - your teeth as well as mobs.
    I don't know how it may be in high population wonderland where you can join a scenario every 5 minutes. But on a mid populated server I am literally forced to grind if I want to advance -> That's a JOKE, it defies all you, Mythic, said during the whole development period. You said one could level without grinding. Thanks.
    M

I hear what you're saying, but theres another problem too.  Getting to max level isn't going to fix anything for you... its just going to make it worse.  You're looking for end game content at non-peak times when it actually take twice as many end game characters then it does in a scenario to fulfill requirements for end game content.

At peak times my server is high, I never have to wait a full minute from one scenario to the next.... its 8:00am where I am now.. if the servers were up and I got on, I would see a scenario pop maybe once ever 20 - 30 minutes...

Last night I was in a world RVR on avelorn protecting a keep.  In the mornings if I find a single destruction player in an RVR area I'd be amazed.  In the off chance I did find one, we'd probably just walk right by eachother and wave.... people that get on in off peak times are usually just grinding.. because thats all they really CAN do.  I use the time to finish up my quests usually.

*edit* AND they should make the real grind on leveling happen about about the low 30s where you can begin your RR grind and start enjoying end game content.  Getting to 30 shouldn't ultimately be a huge chore.. it shouldn't be quick.. but it shouldn't be a crawl either.

I think you need to put in a request to mythic.. I think I might do the same.. increasing the XP between the 20s won't change too much in the game.. and the 30s should be the real grind if max lvl is 40..

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by jackman1118

Originally posted by Buko

QQ, then re-roll?

pretty much, I got to 17 on a sorc on a low-medium and it was awful. theres a reason its awful too. TO GET PEOPLE TO SWITCH TO ORDER.

wow its like, hmm, I could switch servers and be order and enjoy everything the game has to offer, or I can be stubborn and stick to my destro heavy med pop server and QQ on forums...

All of your problems are caused by the over population of destro to order, so theres nothing mythic needs to do but LOWER the exp gained from people like you who stick it out and grind it.

I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you, but if you reroll on a med/low order server you are not going to see all the game has to offer.  You might get to que for scenarios faster if there is a bigger destruction population, but your problems will only get worse. 

The problem is your game experience is heavily influenced by server population.  If there is no one to group with for public quests, quests, realm pvp objectives and the like then you are pretty much going to miss out on the bulk of what the game has to offer. 

Maybe picking a high population order server would be the answer, but it doesn't solve the issue for the majority of servers that are just under populated. 

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

M

I agree here - though I'm a self professed fanboi I would say that one of the flaws in WAR is definitely slow leveling, especially at T3 and beyond.

Low pop servers especially suffer from this because RvR (scenarios to be precise ) gives most xp and its frequency is directly proportional to server population size.

However, Mythic is aware of this problem and in the next patch 1.02 they'll give out xp and renown buffs to underpopulated servers and factions in particular. This will certainly help as well as T3 quest xp reward increases which have already started silently appearing.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

M

rofl

what the heck has happened to propper gamers,

I made 25-30 in a couple days and I did just quests SOLO...  sheesh if you Really think its a grind you should give up mmo's as WAR is a joke with no real mature content and so easy to lvl even without scenarios its a joke

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

Took me 11 hours to get from 0% 37 to 40 (3 levels, 37>38>39>40) and I don't really think that this is as slow as people claim. At 27 it takes around 2~3 hours per level. Aproximadely 100 hours to hit 40 from level 0, which results in a around 150 minutes per level. I don't really see how you're able to claim that it takes days of play time to get a level.

And no, I didn't grind the same PQs like a retard, I didn't do all possible quests and I didn't RvR like crazy. I was playing duo or trio with some friends (marauder, zealot and sorceress - the three of us) most of the time. We did went around doing different PQs with some viable quests and such.

Maybe people should learn that a MMO doesn't suck in an aspect just because YOU're bad at that aspect. Not all games are button-smashers where you don't have to think or to set up anything at all. Get some friends (a guild maybe), form a decent group with the right builds and go do some AoE. I don't know what you guys expect really.. just log in and go around solo killing random stuff with a crappy build? Get the right build, the right equipment, the right group. Go for the right places and do the right quests. Doing it wrong and then complaining is pure lack of sense. And by saying that "it takes forever to level - days!" you made it more than clear that you are doing it wrong.

If you can't find a guild, can't find other people to play with, well, guess what? Reroll. I never play on mid/low populated servers UNLESS I have plenty of commited friends to play with. If you don't, why do so? And why that obsession with scenarios? You need to complete like 50 scenarios in order to hit 50 from 49. That would be around 550 minutes (11 minutes per scenario average). That is around 9 hours and 6 minutes, and people do it in 3 hours and a half by doing some PQs with one friend and a guild banner. I'm tired of seeing people complaining that it takes them forever to advance and do stuff, but when I see they're wearing level 11 white equipment at level 18 and they don't even know what build they're going for.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

After playing games like EQ and Lineage 2, you look kinda silly to me crying about levelling speed.  I think I am being extra polite here.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Originally posted by HensenLiros

Took me 11 hours to get from 0% 37 to 40 (3 levels, 37>38>39>40) and I don't really think that this is as slow as people claim. At 27 it takes around 2~3 hours per level. Aproximadely 100 hours to hit 40 from level 0, which results in a around 150 minutes per level. I don't really see how you're able to claim that it takes days of play time to get a level.
    And no, I didn't grind the same PQs like a retard, I didn't do all possible quests and I didn't RvR like crazy. I was playing duo or trio with some friends (marauder, zealot and sorceress - the three of us) most of the time. We did went around doing different PQs with some viable quests and such.
    Maybe people should learn that a MMO doesn't suck in an aspect just because YOU're bad at that aspect. Not all games are button-smashers where you don't have to think or to set up anything at all. Get some friends (a guild maybe), form a decent group with the right builds and go do some AoE. I don't know what you guys expect really.. just log in and go around solo killing random stuff with a crappy build? Get the right build, the right equipment, the right group. Go for the right places and do the right quests. Doing it wrong and then complaining is pure lack of sense. And by saying that "it takes forever to level - days!" you made it more than clear that you are doing it wrong.
    If you can't find a guild, can't find other people to play with, well, guess what? Reroll. I never play on mid/low populated servers UNLESS I have plenty of commited friends to play with. If you don't, why do so? And why that obsession with scenarios? You need to complete like 50 scenarios in order to hit 50 from 49. That would be around 550 minutes (11 minutes per scenario average). That is around 9 hours and 6 minutes, and people do it in 3 hours and a half by doing some PQs with one friend and a guild banner. I'm tired of seeing people complaining that it takes them forever to advance and do stuff, but when I see they're wearing level 11 white equipment at level 18 and they don't even know what build they're going for.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

I have to say my main character (not the one in my sig) is level 27.  I haven't had no problems leveling.  I am just about done with chapter 13 quests.  I do all the quests in all the zones for that chapter.  I just had to start doing this at chapter 21.  There is a few quest I just skipped.  Its really not that hard to level up.  The time it takes is another thing.  It took me about 10 hours to get 3 levels.  I was at the half way point in 24 when I started to watch how long it took me to level up. 

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

nothing at all wrong with the leveling speed in this game, since it DOESNT MATTER.  you are in RvR (if thats what you want to do) from the VERY BEGINING, you dont have to wait for the end game.  Its a MMO, not Battlefield 1942, you are SUPPOSE to work on your toon.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• hackophackop Member Posts: 10

Out of curiosity, is there some way to check geneal server populations somewhere?

Thankfully my main is only level 20, but I'm beginning to see a slowdown in finding groups to quest/PQ/RvR with. I'd like to see which servers are at what population levels.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

Had to write again,

I just cant get over how sad a post that someone complains of 2-3 hours a lvl at over halfway.

What about old eq when you were lvl 52+ before mad expanison that took a WEEK to lvl ONE lvl

Sheesh kids just want it all given to them now

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

oh, didnt read the whole post the first time.  Your on a Open RvR server?  those always suck.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by jackman1118

Who cares if your RR rank is 10 if u make it 2 40. All u have to do now is renown and u will make more because a level 40 will pwn your lowbie ass and get renown faster. Its not like a level 40 cant go to tier 3 keeps and destroy you.

• ahpayneahpayne Member Posts: 18

I think Mythic has done well here. I made a post a while back about how I didn't want to be 40 in a week. For all of the people remembering EQ, remember the "hell " levels...:) now that was hardcore grinding for a level. I haven't experienced another game yet that had leveling like EQ.  I wonder how many of the people trying to hit max on their server so they can be the first to destroy the other capital city have really enjoyed all the game has to offer.

People now apparently just want to get to max level so they can sit for no new content for years and then complain about that I guess. There is a lot to do in this game.

I hope Mythic doesn't listen to the complainers about the leveling here. It isn't that slow. There is one thing the slower leveling after level 21 has done for me. I now can do quests across all three realms to get to the next level. I know for the first 20 levels I have left tons of quests undone because I outleveld the content so quickly.

Oh to be back in the " good ole days" when players took their grind to heart and truly earned their max level, and had a blast doing it.

This is my opinion only, have a great day...

• NotArkardNotArkard Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 164

I got to 20 on my marauder on a low pop server when I found I was having an awful time getting into RvR to level up. I promptly moved to a full pop server and have been doing a lot better since. I managed to zoom to rank 11 in a couple of hours of gameplay.

The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.

• greydorgreydor Member Posts: 153

funny people say this game is not a level grind but the incentive for rerolling to a low pop side or low pop

server is a bonus in xp

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

it isnt a grind that and thats why its so very tempting to get that xp boost

• amoroneamorone Member UncommonPosts: 209
    Originally posted by ahpayne

I think Mythic has done well here. I made a post a while back about how I didn't want to be 40 in a week. For all of the people remembering EQ, remember the "hell " levels...:) now that was hardcore grinding for a level. I haven't experienced another game yet that had leveling like EQ.  I wonder how many of the people trying to hit max on their server so they can be the first to destroy the other capital city have really enjoyed all the game has to offer.
    People now apparently just want to get to max level so they can sit for no new content for years and then complain about that I guess. There is a lot to do in this game.
    I hope Mythic doesn't listen to the complainers about the leveling here. It isn't that slow. There is one thing the slower leveling after level 21 has done for me. I now can do quests across all three realms to get to the next level. I know for the first 20 levels I have left tons of quests undone because I outleveld the content so quickly.
    Oh to be back in the " good ole days" when players took their grind to heart and truly earned their max level, and had a blast doing it.
    This is my opinion only, have a great day...

I will agree with you here. If anyone has experience with older MMO''s (prior to WOW! *gasp*) they would know that this is by no means "slow". I think the leveling in WAR is just about right. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they made it a little slower for the very reason you mentioned...EARNING your level....not racing through them. Not rushing to 40 so they can then bitch/whine/moan about endgame content and/or not having anyone else to play with (ie. "it's so empty here whaaa whaa whaaa")  

Right now, I am at 30 and about to hit 31. For the past several (4-5?) levels, it has taken roughly 8 hrs or so of play time to level for me and my style is to mix it up a bit. I do PvE, scenarios and open RvR across all 3 lines. I tend to get more into the quests and PvE but that's more of the "completist" in me. I will say that I think the "speed" of leveling in WAR does "try" to make the players get more involved in the story/lore itself. I know there are a lot of folks that just fly through quests without reading a bit of the quests' story (which is a shame....many are very cool!), but that's their own way of playing. Mythic/WAR has the hard task of trying to appease MANY play styles without forcing any one over another.....and I think they do a GREAT job of it.

You don't think so? Well, let me know when your game comes out because I am sure it's gonna be so great seeing as you know exactly how everything should really be done.   

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by NotArkard

I got to 20 on my marauder on a low pop server when I found I was having an awful time getting into RvR to level up. I promptly moved to a full pop server and have been doing a lot better since. I managed to zoom to rank 11 in a couple of hours of gameplay.

This is what i believe the OP is trying to point out is. That when you can't RvR because your on a low pop server which is fine you dont get any XP vs a high pop server where u can get into scenerios or RvR combat. The game says it has PvE so support it and give them there due XP Mythic.