Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Universe Online is Dead

ford42ford42 Member Posts: 2

Hi it seems that Universe Online developed by Colony Studios is put on hold indefinatly.

http://www.blackknightprod.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=25

Sad news for all of us Sci-Fi game lovers

Comments

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

Well there's always Stargate Worlds and Earthrise still goin strong check those two out.

• MhirMhir Member Posts: 41

It is so sad to hear that it is already dead.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Mhir

It is so sad to hear that it is already dead.

is it just me or does it seem like scifi-games have the highest mortality rate of any other mmo genere?

• JuyerJuyer Member Posts: 10

Sad news for those players and company, Good news for new upcoming games that they can target those players who just lost on loosing a game. This will served as a lesson to choose the best game ever? And what would it be? Life.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

It's not you. Sci-fi games are more likely to fail. I think it's a cultural thing. Fantasy has an easier time because stories of magic and monsters have been around as long as human history. Sci-fi games have to build their mythos up from nothing and because they have more options there's more ways to turn off players. For example in folklore there are always non-humans (pixies, imps, elves, etc) so in a fantasy game there are always non-human races. But in sci-fi you have to make the decision to have or not to have non-humans. If you do have them, you have to be sure no one is going to sue you for having aliens to Ewok-like or too Cylon-like or whatever. (You can't hold a copyright on elves.) And regardless there are people who prefer sci-fi with aliens and those who want it without aliens. Eve took the middle ground route by having human varients.

Basically I think it's easier for people to identify with a  fantasy setting than a sci-fi setting and if your players can't get emersion in the game, they won't play it.