Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC vs WAR: Battle of the "second generation" MMO's

I think it would be nice to get a good comparison of two MMO's that I am looking to get into, WITHOUT any reference to the usual suspects of performance issues or class imbalance. For example:

Immersion: Which game has the most immersive PVE quests, music, graphics, and lore? FORGET about whether you like zoning or not.

PVP: Which game has PVP that IN PRACTICE provides the most fun?

Combat: Which has the most tolerable combat?

Population: Is it possible to find at least one well populated and playable server in each game?

Zones: Which game has the most entertaining zones?

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• marowitmarowit Member UncommonPosts: 268

So the fight starts!!!!!AOC steps in the ring first.....tripps over and breaks it's neck, WAR didn't even have to look at it, AOC kicked it's own ass.The fight is over.

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS AND REGRET THEY HAVE PASSED.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I think there is more generations than just two. Three or four at the least and those two games you've listed aren't that impressive.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

I think there is more generations than just two. Three or four at the least and those two games you've listed aren't that impressive.

I have to admit that when I read 'second generation' I really did laugh out loud.

Common opinion goes along these lines, though there really are no rules in stone:

Generation 1 = The MUDs (British Legends, Rock, Leviathan)

Generation 2 = Top down 2d (UO, Meridian59, Diablo)

Generation 3 = 3d worlds (EQ, AC, DAoC, WoW etc. Most of the current ones)

Generation 4 = 3d worlds without zones (Vanguard, Eve)

Generation 5 = No idea yet

• sandboxysandboxy Member Posts: 153

MMO's are still in their first generation IMO. While graphics have taken huge steps over the years, gameplay hasn't evolved anywhere, you might even say it has devolved because there are loads of MUD's that have gameplay features and better scripted AI that will kick any graphic MMO's butt any day.

I feel that until we see a change of focus in MMO development from better and better graphics to actual gameplay improvement, there is no second generation.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

AOC vs WAR

PvP  = Warhammer

Pro's

Warhammer : easy access,short and sweet,pvp ranking system with rewards stat wise and equipment wise,endgame is based around pvp and realm wars,most servers have a high populations.

AOC : FFA pvp,very very easy access(no choice),pvp ranking system with equipment rewards,guild wars over guild keeps that take alot of work to put up and can be leveled to the ground,Bounty system.

Con's

Warhammer :Not FFA, No looting (although players may drop a piece of randomly generated gear),RvR over keeps (at this stage in the game) is lacking.

AOC : No looting,PvP equipment rewards (from what i read and have been told) is too much of a factor,Bounty System,Safe Zones(on a ffa server......),Population

Combat = AOC

Pro's

Warhammer : underwhelming mechanics to individual classes.

AOC : Unique "Real Time" combat system (that imo i loved) for melee chars.Rangers FPS aiming system.

Con's

Warhammer : Button Masher at heart.

AOC : Unique "Real Time" combat system required you to attempt a 4-5 hit combo on moving targets(if you move while executing a move it resets so perfect timing is needed..not really a flaw but annoying at times),Casters cant enjoy the Unique "Real Time" combat system.

Miscellaneous

Warhammer : Public Quest (quest scattered all over the world that require groups to complete for great xp and rewards,Lore Book (everything you need to know about your char and the progress you make in Warhammer from quest to titles earned and even a database of all the creatures you've killed in WAR and there history in the world),Guild Ranking System (each time your guild is leveled you are rewarded with different rewards ranging from guild vaults,guild auctions,guild taxes,guild tabards,a selection of guild tactics that can be placed on your guild tabard that offer bonuses like +3-5% to this stat etc).

AOC : Great Music,Guild Keeps (player built and defended),Immerse world,Graphics (compared to WAR),

Con's

Warhammer : Graphics,Mediocre music,PvE doesn't pay off half as much as RvR (scenarios),No global chat,Zoning

AOC : PvE (lacking),Endgame (Lacking),Zoning

Conclusion : Warhammers the better game overall but at the same time the pvp feels a bit uhhhh Conformed...there are a few open PvP servers but there like wow where its faction vs faction...all the pvP takes place in Instances (Scenarios)...i myself was hoping for DAOC 2.0 with 2 factions (pretty naive when all the screenshots screamed WOW)..but if you loved WOW then Warhammers the game for you and if you don't give AOC a try i guess.....