Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes and DnL

OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

So, spurred by satire and seeking another avenue for my mmorpg addiction, I was checking out this game, Dark and Light.

It's French, in case you didn't know that.  In Phase 3 of Beta testing.  Now, normally, as I've seen it, Phase 3 is the last phase before an Open Beta, now not always, but often.  So, with that in mind, I'm trying to learn alittle something about this game.

Seems there are no beta testers posting... either... So, what I can see;

6 races and a bunch of hybrid races.  Course, if you look at them, they aren't done.  There is very little graphic art on these races, mostly just sketches...

14 classes of which we know nothing about except the names: Archer, Ranger, Druid, Warrior, Shadow Knight, Paladin, Illusionist, Wizard, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Cleric, Necromancer and Enchanter.

Now, I know this sounds negative (and it is) but I like the writeup on this game and would love to have more information.  After all, if I'm going to invest my time and energy as a fanboy into a game, I need something to cheer.  I'm currently following games that are so far from Alpha testing you wouldn't believe they have fans - and I know more about THOSE games than I do this one!

[Note: I may have actually found the posts of a DnL beta tester, but it's in French and sadly I'm language challenged and cannot read it]

WoW Beta - Skirnir; Dwarven Mage (Beta Server, PvE)
Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

----------------------------------------
My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Now, normally, as I've seen it, Phase 3 is the last phase before an Open Beta, now not always, but often.

Game is about 4-5 months away from being 'finished' and after that will be bout 3 months of testing before it goes live.

Seems there are no beta testers posting... either... So, what I can see;

On dnl.net there is a testimonials section to see what beta testers wrote. Because of NDA, beta testers cant write on the public forums yet.

6 races and a bunch of hybrid races. Course, if you look at them, they aren't done. There is very little graphic art on these races, mostly just sketches...

Most of the information isnt available because darkandlight.com hasnt been updated in ages (they were focused on revamping dnl.net first), and NP Cube and Alchemic Dream are working on a brand new website for the game with far more information. To quote Alchemic:

"The official .com website is in the process of a major overhaul, with a new FAQ and some news you are all waiting for impatiently. We will keep you updated on its development and future launch."

14 classes of which we know nothing about except the names: Archer, Ranger, Druid, Warrior, Shadow Knight, Paladin, Illusionist, Wizard, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Cleric, Necromancer and Enchanter.

See above explanation.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Lineage 2, RYL
    Uninstalled ASAP: MU Online, Knight Online, Rubies of Eventide

• ZelphZelph Member Posts: 115

Welcome Odenathus. Most of the information that can be found about this game can be found in the dev chats. A comprehensive list of all the english chats can be found here: http://www.aldrifas-library.com/index.php?nav_id=44&page=1 though there is more information scattered around the web. Most of which can be found through this link at the official .com site: http://www.darkandlight.com/eng/index.php?page=liensMark_zero.html

Also note, the developers are French - however - the game is being developed for a world-wide audience and the 'official' language of the world will be in english, though I'm certain that other languages will be supported as well.

There are 4 species of elves (including half-elves), humans, dwarfs, gnomes, lutins, fairies, braves (a cross of humans and demi-gods), half-orcs, and half-trolls.

There are 14 classes (plus 2 more added later) which little is known about them, but you can actually find out quite a bit if you're willing to do the digging....

Now, you say you would love to have more information. I have provided you with links to where you can find that information. However, because my time is rather limited then I will not go on to extoll the virtues of this game. However, if you have more questions then please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities, as well I am sure there will be many in the community willing to help you out too.image

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455

The highlights of Dark and Light are:

1. One large server cluster for the whole world with dynamic loading to even out the CPU load on the computers. This is supposed to prevent server side lag due to large battles which will occur. Commanders will get special tool, maps, etc. to control wide ranging battles. Killing the commander will affect the command and control of his army.

2. The goal is to settle new lands for your alignment. PvP can only occur between characters of the opposite alignment unless a player who is a noble puts out a bounty on someone within his lands. This allows player made laws to be enforced and obnoxious characters to be exiled. Nobles will be defining the roleplay in the game by giving each land a different feel.

3. Zerg attacks are inhibited by mana fountains that must be fed resources in order to be activated. If you are under the influence of your alignment's mana then you get mana recharge bonuses and the enemy gets penalized. All attacks require mana so its management is part of the PvP skill. The active mana fountains essentially define a variable territory for the two sides. Cut off the supply to the enemies mana fountains to make conquering their land easier.

4. Player based economy and player built villages around fortresses. Other towns will already be in the game and can be captured. Resources will be sold in persistent markets and crafted items in shops with a hired NPC to run it. All finished items will be crafted by players except quest items. Crafting is "like a fight" and can be a group effort. If the player market falls short NPC vendors move in.

5. 10 different realms with correspondingly more difficult MOBs. The highest realm is home to the gods. The more active followers a god has the more power it has. How this will affect the game is not exactly clear beyond affecting the ratios of the god's animals in different realms. Players cannot attack a player many levels below him without getting killed by that lower player's god (many question on this one in regards to spying, etc.). This does not count if that player is grouped or attacks first.

6. Deep complex lore with many mysteries.

7. Social network with land ruling nobles in a feudal heirarchy. Capture a majority of the fortresses in a barony and elect the baron and so on up several levels. How this feudal system interacts with player based clans should be interesting.

8. Exploring will be big as explorers must find mines and recon the enemy. Automated caravans will bring mined resources into towns. Caravans can be attacked by the opposite alignment. Explorers can sell mine locations and make and sell maps. Smuggling goods from one alignment to the other will be needed.

9. Hang gliding, fairies, flying dragon mounts for high level players (you can fight off them), etc. Lots of interesting new combat tactics because of these things.

10. Open beta promised for late fall with release date now set for April.

11. Nobles can hire NPC guards.

12. Experience comes in two forms, social and fighting and both are used to "buy" various skills. So one can advance a character either by pure fighting, pure social (crafting, politics), or both.

13. Characters get experience points for player kills just like MOB kills along with money and resources. No finished items are lootable but they do degrade to keep resources flowing throughout the economy and to motivate land settlement. Upon death characters lose some experience as well.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Oakstead put that in a new thread and well just keep it bumped as that is good info that no one should miss :)

--------------------------------------

Played: Asheron's Call 1, Dark Age of Camelot, Earth & Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies
    Tested: Asheron's Call 1, Asheron's Call 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Eve Online, Lineage 2, Risk Your Life
    Uninstalled ASAP: MU Online, Knight Online, Rubies of Eventide, Priston Tales, Star Sonata

Roger that. The new thread is up.

• NosferuNosferu Member Posts: 6

Good info Oakstead! Have I seen you in the darkandlight.net  forums?

Aposteles

• FraekFraek Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Nosferu

Good info Oakstead! Have I seen you in the darkandlight.net  forums?
    Aposteles

You probably have, unless that guy nicknames Oakstead in the forums with the exact smae avatar as this oakstead who makes pretty much the same posts as Oakstead is another person, and everyhing is coincidence ;)

Agnar's Furyimage

Join at http://www.guilduniverse.com/af

I am the same one Oakstead image

• Vingador_brVingador_br Member Posts: 9

The old nice Oakstead. :).

Nice that you've covered the questions Oak. :) I'll be around here from now on, trying to explain the little of DnL that i've learned reading all the dev chats and being part of its community.