Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can the Goverment do to help the people

Just like it says, what things can the Goverment do to help the people of the US.

My ideas would be, Lower the taxes,income,gas and a multitude of others.

Secondly lower Goverment spending to reduce the deficits Federal and State.

Thirdly a drive for more energy, high energy costs are also a factor in the present economic malaise.More coal/nuke plants and more oil/refineries.

Any other suggestions out there?

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Decrease in size and stay out of our lives?

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Get rid of the monetary system and love/help one another?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

Then, after that, we can learn to shoot rainbows out of our arse.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Dekron

Does this count as a rainbow?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

Just like it says, what things can the Goverment do to help the people of the US.
    Thirdly a drive for more energy, high energy costs are also a factor in the present economic malaise.More coal/nuke plants and more oil/refineries.

So, basically, provide us with more services for free.

Gotcha.

This is why no one takes you seriously.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

Originally posted by SioBabble

What services did he imply?

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country".

"Let every nation know... that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

www.youtube.com/watch

This sense of "entitlement" from todays generation is scary.

What services did he imply?

His drive the third.  Give us more energy.

Frankly, all you people who don't want to pay taxes?  Leave.  Now.  Find yourself some desert island to live on.  You don't want to pay for civilization, but you demand more of it.

You do realize, of course, that the basic technolgy that made this means of communication possible was created through government research and development paid for through taxes, right?

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

You do realize, of course, that the basic technolgy that made this means of communication possible was created through government research and development paid for through taxes, right?

You do realize, of course, this country was created because of a revolt against unfair taxation, right?

To add, I do not believe he was stating "free energy", but alternatives to oil. I care not; however, because I will be implementing my own wind turbine on my property. I will happily keep my air conditioner at 60 degrees in the summer and 75 in the winter while I keep every light and electronic device on 24 hours daily.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

The Only governemt I want money spent on is to be the biggest BADEST and most advanced military on the planet.  

Then nobody will fuck with us while we get our capitolism on.

get rid of public schools.

get rid of the NEA

get rid of the NPR

get rid of all the bullshit.

if a business can't stand on it's own, let it fail.  i.e. air america. thank god.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

That's about it.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

what our government can do for us..

1. they need to reverese taxes on the way money flows to and from this country, instead of syphoning the money out they need to syphon it in. Impose heavy tax on money being spent outside of this country and remove the taxes on money being sent into this country. We need to make it so it is more profitable to spend your money here than elsewhere. We need to make it easier to start small businesses in this country. The more people we have in business for themselves the more people earn, the more they can spend, and the better quality  and variety of products we will have on the market. We need less "big" business and more small business.  Sure mass production is good for things like toilet paper, but for other things we need to start doing for ourselves again. We need to utilize our resources to make this country and our people strong .We also need to utilize our technologies and advancement in new inventions . We need to stop being just the nation of "shoppers" for every other country to get rich instead become a nation of doers.

2.  We need to stop trying to make our people docile , and strengthen them instead. We do not need  "cookie cutter" people we need to encourage creativity and free thinking as well as strengthing them physically and mentally. 

3. We need to do away with our 2 party system and electoral votes. We need to give the elections back to the people. Do away with campaign funds period. Basically for elections we have all the people who want to run sign up on a certain date. Then  they get free air time to let the people know why they should be elected. We do a preliminary vote with the entire population,  to see from those candidates which should be considered. Then the ton 10 get to run. We have many choices for president not just a few, no parties or tickets or any of that othert BS, just the people who we picked, and whoever wins from that. The top 2 are made President and VP.  They do not need to travel around and do speeches and such, they c an do that via TV. No ad campaigns, nothing just the debates of the issues and their speeches given via TV. The people can decide from there.  Wouldn't that solve the problem of all of this corruption and being forced to choose between 2 bad choices?

Oh I could go on as to what our government could do for us, but mainly I want them to leave us alone and stop spending so much money on nonsense.

You do realize, of course, this country was created because of a revolt against unfair taxation, right?

To add, I do not believe he was stating "free energy", but alternatives to oil. I care not; however, because I will be implementing my own wind turbine on my property. I will happily keep my air conditioner at 60 degrees in the summer and 75 in the winter while I keep every light and electronic device on 24 hours daily.

The revolution was about taxation without representation.  Taxes were unfair in that sense, not in the "I want to freeload on society" sense that you obviously advocate.   You want the benefits of society without having to pay for it.  That's parasitism.

The Boston Tea Party was as much about the monopoly of the East India Company (a transnational corporation) as it was about taxes.

He basically called for national investment in energy infrastructure (a laudable idea) but has no idea where the funds are coming from to do so, because if you start repealing taxes, you're not going to have anything to invest.  This is pretty basic economics.

If you're foolish enough to generate your own wind energy and then burn it up with a "screw you, I've go mine!" attitude and not sell it back to the grid, you're pretty much a lost cause.   But you're amongst those who can't comprehend that altrusim is a long term self survival strategy.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

The revolution was about taxation without representation.

Is that not what we have now? The bailout was passed although the majority of people speaking to their congressman/woman told them to vote no. Now we are stuck with a $700 billion tax payment. I beleive that is taxation without representation.

Also, it was not merely taxation without representation. It was also against oppressive taxation.

If you are so concerned with the rest of the world, why not donate your entire paycheck, minus an allowance of living expenses, of course, to charities every month? Why should you have something that they do not. You have an ill-construed definition of altruism if you believe I am being selfish and uncaring for not selling back self-produced wind-energy. You just contradicted your entire above statement regarding "getting more free services".

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

There once was a man from Australia,

Who painted his arse like a dahlia.

The picture was fine,

it looked quite sublime,

but the odor, now that was a failia.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Nuclear energy

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

The question was ,What can the Goverment do to help the people.

Do you have any? our are you just posting here to critisize. Just looking for helpful suggestions and see if the people have any sort of common sense consensus to the problem at hand. I know that won't be found in Washington, and was hoping for something more from the community here.

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381

*Stop rewarding bad behavior. You don't work- you don't eat. Sorry, that's how it works in the animal kingdom and we are a few steps above them in IQ. If they can follow that philosophy- so can we.

* Reduce all aspects of government spending 

* Outlaw pork barrel spending and lobbyists and campaign contributions from corporations and businesses

* Tariff the crap out of all imported goods. Make the imported goods the EXACT same price as goods produced in our country.  That way, foreign goods won't be so much cheaper than American made products.

* Make Welfare checks contingent on their offspring going to school. If their children quit school or are arrested, their checks will be greatly reduced. Force them to parent their children better if for no other reason that they would lose money if they do a bad job of raising them. If their children do well in school- they would get a bonus in their check.

* Social Security needs to be reworked and it ain't gonna be pretty. 42% of the 2007 budget went to Social security, Medicare and Medicaid. That has be trimmed somehow. We can't have 42% of our federal budget going to 15 or 20% of our population. I know it sucks to even think of that but 42% is just too big a piece of the pie. I hate myself for even saying that but the facts are the facts- 42% is too much. I just wish it was the overhead that could be cut from the SS administration instead of the senior's benefits.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

The government should give EVERYBODY in the U.S. 300$ bills with a portrait of Nixon's head in a fish tank.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Suspend trading on the markets until distressed mortgage assets can be valued and the $700 billion disbursed. Right now it is not affecting credit markets, people are panicking and locking in their investment losses.

Renegotiate defaulted mortgages to a 50 year term, thereby reducing payments, hopefully keeping people in their homes, and decreasing the rate foreclosed homes are dumped into the market. The $700 billion "bailout" is a no go if housing prices cannot be stabilized. If home values continue to free fall, the $700 billion is all for nothing.

Begin prosecuting executives to restore confidence. It is irrelevant which executives, as long as some big time names are jailed. Perception is reality, and people will perceive action and react with confidence that something is being done to correct the greed problem.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

This one post quoted is the most important reply in the thread and wins hands down.

What else though besides the using different sources of energy and harvesting the areas where we do? Well stop transferring middle class and lower class money to bailout greedy interest rate abusing loan companies and the carpetbaggers....errr stock market that also fixed gasoline prices right along with the greedy oil execs.

What must people will fail to realize about the bailout is it will increase your sales tax when you go buy those groceries at Wal-Mart and when you go to fill up your tank. Mark my words and remember this post when they do.

Also lower taxes like other people said. If someone thinks raising taxes helps the economy then I dare you to look at my home state Louisiana. Businesses don't want to come here and don't want to stay when they have to deal with the Lousiana tax code. So don't try to tell me different with the reality of common sense.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702
    Originally posted by olddaddy

Suspend trading on the markets until distressed mortgage assets can be valued and the $700 billion disbursed. Right now it is not affecting credit markets, people are panicking and locking in their investment losses.
    Renegotiate defaulted mortgages to a 50 year term, thereby reducing payments, hopefully keeping people in their homes, and decreasing the rate foreclosed homes are dumped into the market. The $700 billion "bailout" is a no go if housing prices cannot be stabilized. If home values continue to free fall, the $700 billion is all for nothing.
    Begin prosecuting executives to restore confidence. It is irrelevant which executives, as long as some big time names are jailed. Perception is reality, and people will perceive action and react with confidence that something is being done to correct the greed problem.

i like that. i think. coming from you, im not sure. but i think you have been brutally honest lately bigdaddy. 

i would also like to see hearings for congressional members regarding fannie and freddie mac. we need to restore political confidence as well. there should be investigations.

i am really loathing our system these days. i know its not the system itself, just the human elements involved. the greed by wallstreet and capitol hill. 

these fucking politicians are untouchable. probably because they have so much dirt on each other, that if one goes down- they all will fall. 

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-