Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC is implementing an advanced Linage II similar PvP system on patch 3.0

PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248

Hi Lineage II folks. I have ordered AoC after reading in their forums that their final PvP system introduced with patch 3.0 with be very much alike Linage II's PvP system. Killing has consequences and you can get status as criminal or murderer. Guards attack murderers, as well as murderers get their own set of quests, spawnpoints and murderer community. It sounds soo cool. I did however want to ask the experts, the Linage II community, on what you think of this and what other improvements I should ask for on the AoC forums (In other words, what aspects of your PvP system are you not happy with).

Comments

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Just curious

Those killing will affect only guildless ppl?

I  mean itas quite sensible a guild emmber killing a memmber of a diferent guild since its guild vs guild  the end game pvp theme

Anything else will change in aioc's pvp system with that patch?

• PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by tazarconan

Just curious
    Those killing will affect only guildless ppl?
    I  mean itas quite sensible a guild emmber killing a memmber of a diferent guild since its guild vs guild  the end game pvp theme
    Anything else will change in aioc's pvp system with that patch?

People in same guild can not hurt eachother unless they want to. Patch 3.0 is introdusing the new consequence system, while AoC after patch 2.0 already has the backbone of their new PvP system in place.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Could you post a link to the changes? The AoC forums are litered with folks bitching about just about anything including the stock prices, Geez. Doesn't anyone just play MMOs anymore? There must be a lot of SWG vets playing that game.

Anyway, L2's PvP system has a few things in it. You build "karma" when you kill other players in addition you acrew PK points. Over PK points and you have a chance of dropping gear if someone kills you while you are in a chaotic state. Is AoC going to have a drop system put in?

Just wondering. There use to be a time in L2 when yo always had a chance of dropping no matter what but they softened that up over time now only reds (PKers) drop. You also lose a bit of XP on death. All that normally applies except during a siege or duel. The L2 system also depends on who attacks who first, who fights or doesn't fight, as that determines who goes chaotic or gets karma or whatever.

Aside from town guards attacking you what other "consequences" are there? Sounds more like an alternate adventure path with perks the way you describe it. (they get their own quest / communtiy / spawnpoints)

L2 is really about Guild politics and wars. I dunno what AoC is suppose to be about. The reason L2 has open PvP is so guilds can piss each other off between sieges in a nutshell. L2 completely revolves around castle sieges and that is a completely different matter. Guilds that control castles control a portion of the gameworld and economy. Castles are not simply for show in L2, they have a huge impact on the gameworld. Similar to owning a station in EVE.

• PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Torak

Could you post a link to the changes? The AoC forums are litered with folks bitching about just about anything including the stock prices, Geez. Doesn't anyone just play MMOs anymore? There must be a lot of SWG vets playing that game.
    Anyway, L2's PvP system has a few things in it. You build "karma" when you kill other players in addition you acrew PK points. Over PK points and you have a chance of dropping gear if someone kills you while you are in a chaotic state. Is AoC going to have a drop system put in?
    Just wondering. There use to be a time in L2 when yo always had a chance of dropping no matter what but they softened that up over time now only reds (PKers) drop. You also lose a bit of XP on death. All that normally applies except during a siege or duel. The L2 system also depends on who attacks who first, who fights or doesn't fight, as that determines who goes chaotic or gets karma or whatever.
    Aside from town guards attacking you what other "consequences" are there? Sounds more like an alternate adventure path with perks the way you describe it. (they get their own quest / communtiy / spawnpoints)
    L2 is really about Guild politics and wars. I dunno what AoC is suppose to be about. The reason L2 has open PvP is so guilds can piss each other off between sieges in a nutshell. L2 completely revolves around castle sieges and that is a completely different matter. Guilds that control castles control a portion of the gameworld and economy. Castles are not simply for show in L2, they have a huge impact on the gameworld. Similar to owning a station in EVE.

Ok two links to the two new humongous systems about to be implemented in AoC with patch 3.0

1. New PvP systemwww.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/205227/page/1

2. Advanced Crafting:www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/593/page/3

Brief explanation of the system is:

PvP in AoC is such that you gain PvP level (max 10) with PvP XP. You gain PvP XP when you win a match and you loose PvP XP if you are defeated. XP is proportional to level difference and is also diminishing if you kill someone more than once (reset every 24 h). Moreover, if you gank low level characters (lower than 7 levels below you) you will gain criminal status and eventually murder status. Once a murderer you need to redeem yourself to get back to criminal or normal status. This happens through specific murder communities that only will be accessible to murderers. Special quests and merchants are also available in the murderer comunities (so it might even be attracting for some people to get there). Being a murderer however will be tough on you as nobody want to traide and raid with you unless you end up in a huge outlaw community. Wanted posters will put a price on your head and city guards will attack you on the mere sight. Pretty cool stuff. By the way also AoC is based on guild structure, city/fortress building and Sieges.

That was the short version. There is a more elaborate explanation on the AoC forum pages. www.ageofconan.com

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by PezzBomb

Ok two links to the two new humongous systems about to be implemented in AoC with patch 3.0
    1. New PvP systemwww.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/205227/page/1
    2. Advanced Crafting:www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/593/page/3
    Brief explanation of the system is:
    PvP in AoC is such that you gain PvP level (max 10) with PvP XP. You gain PvP XP when you win a match and you loose PvP XP if you are defeated. XP is proportional to level difference and is also diminishing if you kill someone more than once (reset every 24 h). Moreover, if you gank low level characters (lower than 7 levels below you) you will gain criminal status and eventually murder status. Once a murderer you need to redeem yourself to get back to criminal or normal status. This happens through specific murder communities that only will be accessible to murderers. Special quests and merchants are also available in the murderer comunities (so it might even be attracting for some people to get there). Being a murderer however will be tough on you as nobody want to traide and raid with you unless you end up in a huge outlaw community. Wanted posters will put a price on your head and city guards will attack you on the mere sight. Pretty cool stuff. By the way also AoC is based on guild structure, city/fortress building and Sieges.
    That was the short version. There is a more elaborate explanation on the AoC forum pages. www.ageofconan.com

Well since no one else is going to bite....

I'm not sure what the PvP goal or focus is in AoC. Looks pretty convoluted to me. I know they have these PvP levels, a new similar system to L2 as far as the immediate consequences and there are also sieges, I've also remember reading about some sort of bar room brawling...but it all seems to be set up along the mini-game mindset. Whats the PvP purpose of AoC? 

L2 primarily focuses on the castle siege and large scale guild fighting. PvP is balaced toward the group. The whole point of L2 is the politics which results from the different alliances trying to get their hands on a castle. Now here is where L2 is different from mainstream games. The castles are real world. They are not instanced or on contained maps. They are actual structures in the world. Guilds siege and own them from one another. The benefits of having a castle are not only cosmetic & status like most MMO's. Ownership grants economic control of an actual ingame region. Owners can manage the "Manor system" for high tier crafting mats, tax all transactions in the attached town (getting a portion of everything players buy/sell in a town), and purchase items only availible to castle owners plus other perks like buffs and some other things. There are a very limited number of castles so competition is tough.

Other things players fight over are less structured and tangable. Some players "control" hunting spots with brute force threatening and killing trespassers...Guilds just squable for whatever reasons be it insults or whatever. Some players want to play a bandit type roll and just mug other out in the wilderness hoping to get a drop.  

Sooo...AoC seems to be more of an individual experience basing a lot of its PvP on small scale skimishing and 1v1 fighting. Whats the point of building a city or whatever in AoC? I know its instanced. Are they just props to play a siege mini-game? 

PvP is just a ruleset anyway, what is the AoC player base doing with it anyway aside from having temper tantrums over everything?

You see where I'm going with this? Although AoC may be putting in a bunch of PvP rulesets...there doesn't appear to be any cohesive focus as to what the point of any of it is aside from building PvP levels and gear.  Which might be the point as with Conan lore, he is really just a rogue stumbling from one adventure to another. Thats the problem with designing games on IP's.

All in all, L2 does what it sets out to do pretty well. It gives you a free form PvP environment with consequences and tangable benefits. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they lightened up the drop rules about a year ago. Now only people with 5pks + have a chance at dropping vs the old system where everyone had a chance with PKers having an increased chance.

Dunno, to much drama from AoC player base to really figure it out IMHO. I get the impression the community is unhappy with just about every aspect of the game. It looks nice visually  though.

This discussion has been closed.