Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Well, that was short and, mostly, sweet.

I got 2 weeks out of WAR, about the same as AoC tbh, and now I'm done.

I can't play a game that is this lonely. Boy, talk about destroy the soul of a MMORPG through system design choices. WAR has no community beyond introverted utility (as opposed to 'family') guilds that just exist to zerg the content in the most basic way. Noone talks, noone listens, noone co-operates.

PQs are dead where ever I go, scenerios are mindless zerg fests where victory or defeat is random and nothing to do with skill, PvE is 100% solo quest grind. It's all so soulless.

Open world PvP is broken on the PvP server I play on, with people just using scenerios to level to the max allowed and then sitting around and picking off players 10 levels below them that are trying to do their quests, while actually thinking that this is what quality PvP is. Frustrating and boring.

Achievment rewards are pointless and dull. Itemisation and customisation are, frankly, rubbish. I feel no drive at all to develop my character, because I already know what she will look and handle like by looking at the (solo) guy running by me that is 2 levels higher. Pointless.

Despite the core lore being good, the PvE quests are GPS led idiot drivel, leading you through safari parks of static mobs just wait for you to kill them.

WAR imo isnt even really a MMORPG tbh... any more then TR is. It feels that everything that defines  a MMORPG has been tacked as an afterthought onto the PvP core, which is fine if you are only looking for a solo zerg grind PvP game, but it makes it a terrible MMORPG. I would rather play Savage then this game, its honest about what it is, a fantasy PvP/ RTS game, and is way more fun. I guess it didnt have the hype machine of WAR though, so most won't even try it, which is a shame.

WAR is such a merengue of a game... Light and sugary, which gives you a rush for a little while, but leaving you to crash when it wears off... I seriously wonder if this game has any longevity at all for the general public.

All I know is that It hasnt for me.

Btw people, change the skin on this game and it really isnt all that different from AoC, so I have no idea why you all hate one and love the other. They have far more similarities then differences if you take a better look.

Both are a really sad indicator on the state of the genre to me.

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

and to think you wrote this in another thread you created titled, "Why are we so hard on MMO's?", and then you carried on to write.

"The question is a simple one;

Why do we give our chosen genre such a hard time with regards to 'revolutionary' development?

I mean... racer after racer gets developed, which to be honest dosent really amount to more then a skin job plus a gimmick or two, and released, but racer fans don't bellow and cry like MMORPG fans do do they? Noone says "Arggh! Yet another racer set in the modern day!! With Cars!!"

FPS after FPS gets developed, which to be honest dosent really amount to more then a skin job plus a gimmick or two, and released, but FPS fans don't bellow and cry like MMORPG fans do do they? Noone seems to complain about another FPS game that is 85% identical to the all others under it's hood.

Why is it essential for every MMORPG to be 'revolutionary' or be declared a 'epic fail' again and again? Why isnt an evolutionary build up in the genre enough?

It can't be boredom can it? After all, people have been playing identikit racers, shooters etc for far longer then we have had 'true' MMORPGs..?

Is it the games or the gamers that have the issues here? Are we just so burnt out and jaded that all we know is that we want something 'different', even if we don't know what that 'different' is? Or is the very MMORPG model the problem to most? Is it just not very good once you take out the social heart (as most modern games seem to be driven towards doing)?

Why are we so intolerant of the very gaming model that, after all, created this industry?"

• AmafiAmafi Member Posts: 80

You know, I hate to say it..but I think the OP is right..

My brain is saying this is a great game, the culmination of the best aspects of the MMO genre combined with lush graphics and cool looking characters.

Yet why do I not want to log in?

Something is missing..as the OP says, it is the 'soul' of the game.

Maybe it's because the game is still young and the community is unsure..remaining relatively anonymous until they decide on a character that they enjoy playing..I dunno.

Either way, I just cannot seem to look forward to logging in, and when I do..I tend not to stay long.

I had high hopes for this game, maybe I will take a break and keep an eye on it to return at a later date.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

WAR is a great game destroyed by instanced scenarios.

90% of the problems the OP mentions are due to insta-fade scenarios that are sucking away players from the open world and do not require any group play or communication to grind up.

When and if Mythic puts a stop to this we'll be able to see and enjoy the awesome game that WAR actually is.

At the moment all of the stuff is in place but no one is around because everybody is grinding scenarios and critical mass of players needed for lively open world simply cannot form.

I was a self-professed fanboi of this game but I am seriously considering leaving it if the next major patch doesn't address this issue in some way. It is really painful seeing all this awesome content going to waste for some retarded mini games.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Maybe i should get the chuck norris stuff started in servers.....     just  joking.

Maybe its too many servers, stupid chat system and the pairing of race vs race..... im bored too...

RIP Orc Choppa

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Scenarios are what have kept in the game so far and I really enjoy leveling in them, but I can see the OP's point.  Perhaps if Mythic increases the xp gained in open world pvp or at least in the RvR zones, that issue may be resolved.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• TrexorTrexor Member Posts: 44

What Servers do you play on that you have little to zero world pvp?. Are you sure you play on a open rvr server? beacuse iv had no problem finding any world pvp my server where ever i go.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256

WAR is one of the best mmo today. if u can point better, please do us this favor. otherwise, maybe u just need to take a break from playing mmo for about  6 months (you are apparently too bored)

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos

• rock_harryrock_harry Member Posts: 183

i stopped playing mmorpg after eq2 because i not seen any think thats going to grab me like everquest did i looked at AOC i know it was not for me i cant stand the look of wow so wont bother playing it and for me WAR looks the same as WOW.

yes i know there will be differant but i like things to look real and not like some thing my kide watches on tv.

LOTR online tryed this and was not for me dont know why just was not.

may look in to vanguard as this is ment to be like eq but at the mo i happy not playing them and just going to the pub)))

• MagsatoMagsato Member Posts: 230

I have to agree with the OP.

I find myself logging in rarely and when I do its not for more then an hour or so. Heck I have had 2 days off work and have only put in maybe 2 or 3 hours into WAR. This is coming from someone who used to put in 10 hours a day in MMOs(although perhaps it was just that I was younger and had the time...)

Still, I find that past about 20 XP slows to a crawl from quests, I mean hell I was getting 3k per quest at 13 why am I still getting that at 23? PQs are completely dead in tier 3, but I suppose I can attribute that to the lack of players at those levels, and I am on a med/med pop server(Drifting Castle).

Still if I just wanted to play scenarios all day I would fire up my 360 and go play Gears or COD4 or something.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by markoraos

90% of the problems the OP mentions are due to insta-fade scenarios that are sucking away players from the open world and do not require any group play or communication to grind up.
    When and if Mythic puts a stop to this we'll be able to see and enjoy the awesome game that WAR actually is.
    At the moment all of the stuff is in place but no one is around because everybody is grinding scenarios and critical mass of players needed for lively open world simply cannot form.

Yes - youre right, but it can be solved very easily by significantly lowering exp rewards for scenarios.

This is also all a result of the WoW mentality perhaps..  where battleground PvP is all most people are currently comfortable with.

Personally, I am having a blast with the game and do not understand these posters who says it has no 'soul'.  I guess its a personal thing.

One thing is though.. when everyone has a character at rank 40 - people wont be so concerned about scenarios - and I think youll see plenty of tier 4 open world PvP and PvE.

But yes, scenarios have pretty much damaged the first three tiers... 

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

LOL 10 hours, I put 15+ for WOW. Thought I was getting old but when I try out trials on past games I discover that magic again. Then discover few playing and only high level, need a game I can start and be competive. I just think newer games are just missing something. Hell I got my DAD to play the orginal SWG and he hates video games(52 years old at the time)! 

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

so you guys dont like pvping, sorry.

I mean honestly your complaints are so QQ, yet you managed to type that much? join a med/full server and roll DESTRO if you want to do some pansy PQ's, or join order to do open world RVR / scenarios.

MYTHIC ISNT FORCING YOU TO JOIN LOW/LOW SERVERS, SO STOP KILLING YOURSELF BY PLAYING IN THEM.

seriously, you complain about lack of pve people and yet you didnt do any of the major dungeons... you complain about open world pvp and I bet you were one of 10,000 destro zerging everyone....

This game has something for everyone, but you have to know where to go to find it. I had a 17 sorc on a med order full destro and it was not fun for me because all i could do is PVE with all the other destro. Now im on my 15 BW and im loving the open world pvp and scenarios. (especially when we take that one keep and i can go buy my renown skills :P )

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Tawn47

Originally posted by markoraos

Yes - youre right, but it can be solved very easily by significantly lowering exp rewards for scenarios.

This is also all a result of the WoW mentality perhaps..  where battleground PvP is all most people are currently comfortable with.

Personally, I am having a blast with the game and do not understand these posters who says it has no 'soul'.  I guess its a personal thing.

One thing is though.. when everyone has a character at rank 40 - people wont be so concerned about scenarios - and I think youll see plenty of tier 4 open world PvP and PvE.

But yes, scenarios have pretty much damaged the first three tiers... 

Don't get me wrong, imo the game is awesome in almost every significant way, especially when compared to other MMOs currently on the market.

However this is precisely why this open RvR vs scenario thing is so hurtful. Sometimes I feel like I'm looking at a 500,000$ ferrarri being used to transport manure.

If the rest of the game wasn't that great I wouldn't care. It is just sickening seeing all that awesome potential going to waste for some WoW BGs lite.

Yes, that can be fixed, as you pointed out. There are some hot-fixes being discussed on official-unoffical boards as well as some long-term solutions (like making warcamps chapter RvR PQ hubs, putting more solo PvE content in RvR lakes and giving keeps a life) but there is no word from Mythic that there even IS a problem.

I'm giving it time till patch 1.1 which is supposed to be the first big one. If the problem is not addressed by then I'll conclude that Mythic actually prefers the game to be a scenario grindfest without world PvP and I'll leave for good.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Originally posted by vesavius

Well, that was short and, mostly, sweet.
    I got 2 weeks out of WAR, about the same as AoC tbh, and now I'm done.
    I can't play a game that is this lonely. Boy, talk about destroy the soul of a MMORPG through system design choices. WAR has no community beyond introverted utility (as opposed to 'family') guilds that just exist to zerg the content in the most basic way. Noone talks, noone listens, noone co-operates.
    PQs are dead where ever I go, scenerios are mindless zerg fests where victory or defeat is random and nothing to do with skill, PvE is 100% solo quest grind. It's all so soulless.
    Open world PvP is broken on the PvP server I play on, with people just using scenerios to level to the max allowed and then sitting around and picking off players 10 levels below them that are trying to do their quests, while actually thinking that this is what quality PvP is. Frustrating and boring.
    Achievment rewards are pointless and dull. Itemisation and customisation are, frankly, rubbish. I feel no drive at all to develop my character, because I already know what she will look and handle like by looking at the (solo) guy running by me that is 2 levels higher. Pointless.
    Despite the core lore being good, the PvE quests are GPS led idiot drivel, leading you through safari parks of static mobs just wait for you to kill them.
    WAR imo isnt even really a MMORPG tbh... any more then TR is. It feels that everything that defines  a MMORPG has been tacked as an afterthought onto the PvP core, which is fine if you are only looking for a solo zerg grind PvP game, but it makes it a terrible MMORPG. I would rather play Savage then this game, its honest about what it is, a fantasy PvP/ RTS game, and is way more fun. I guess it didnt have the hype machine of WAR though, so most won't even try it, which is a shame.
    WAR is such a merengue of a game... Light and sugary, which gives you a rush for a little while, but leaving you to crash when it wears off... I seriously wonder if this game has any longevity at all for the general public.
    All I know is that It hasnt for me.
    Btw people, change the skin on this game and it really isnt all that different from AoC, so I have no idea why you all hate one and love the other. They have far more similarities then differences if you take a better look.
    Both are a really sad indicator on the state of the genre to me.

Best analysis I read so far, you're D-man

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

I have to give the OP credit. When you're right you're right.

WAR feels way more Guild Wars than it does EQ. Even WOW had more community interaction than this does. I cant really blame the players for this either since all the mechanics of the game are centered around PUGs and really dont promote any socializing amongst non guildies.

As much as I enjoy the occasional instance I think this game may truly have been better off without these scenarios. They are far from balanced anyway. It only limits the amount of players per side not taking into consideration the levels or classes ending up with severely lopsided battles.

If they had simply made more static areas of the game open PVP and left the scenarios out I believe it would be a better player experience overall. If none of this changes I will probably dump WAR when the new KOTOR MMO releases.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

No matter how you cut it the best way for Warhammer to improve is to get people talking in general chat and give them incentive to group up.......Part of the problem with the MMO genre is that too many games are catering to solo players because they feel thats what we want (blame WOW for that)...... The problem is though that a game like Warhammer really should encourage grouping right off the bat so tjhat players learn to work together and develop a feeling of being needed.......I thought the scenarios might be a problem because that is what the players that came over from WoW are used to and probably their preferred style of PVP.......The players that came from DAoC are the ones that want solid RVR PVP..... It sounds like if Warhammer wants to survive long term they are going to have to make serious changes to the core ideas of the game.......

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Theocritus

No matter how you cut it the best way for Warhammer to improve is to get people talking in general chat and give them incentive to group up.......Part of the problem with the MMO genre is that too many games are catering to solo players because they feel thats what we want (blame WOW for that)...... The problem is though that a game like Warhammer really should encourage grouping right off the bat so tjhat players learn to work together and develop a feeling of being needed.......I thought the scenarios might be a problem because that is what the players that came over from WoW are used to and probably their preferred style of PVP.......The players that came from DAoC are the ones that want solid RVR PVP..... It sounds like if Warhammer wants to survive long term they are going to have to make serious changes to the core ideas of the game.......

I dont think they care about surviving long term. Its obvious in how they made the game or should I say Halfway made the game.

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by starman999

WAR feels way more Guild Wars than it does EQ. Even WOW had more community interaction than this does. I cant really blame the players for this either since all the mechanics of the game are centered around PUGs and really dont promote any socializing amongst non guildies.

As much as I enjoy the occasional instance I think this game may truly have been better off without these scenarios. They are far from balanced anyway. It only limits the amount of players per side not taking into consideration the levels or classes ending up with severely lopsided battles.
    If they had simply made more static areas of the game open PVP and left the scenarios out I believe it would be a better player experience overall. If none of this changes I will probably dump WAR when the new KOTOR MMO releases.

#1 Guild Wars has one of the best communties in MMO's excluding the kiddos, but the Guilds and Communities are probably better than WOW and most MMO's so Don't put GW in the same boat as WAR, GW is still doing great and has a huge following, millions...look out for GW2, should be great, I'm currently playing WAR, review coming soon...mixed feelings here

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232
    Originally posted by susanto1228

Originally posted by starman999

#1 Guild Wars has one of the best communties in MMO's excluding the kiddos, but the Guilds and Communities are probably better than WOW and most MMO's so Don't put GW in the same boat as WAR, GW is still doing great and has a huge following, millions...look out for GW2, should be great, I'm currently playing WAR, review coming soon...mixed feelings here

Im not saying that GW wasnt an ok game. I mentioned it because it has that same detached from society feeling that WAR has. its hardly a community. If you are not in a guild you have very little interaction with the rest of the populace with the exception of the pvp arena.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

I admit the OP has very valid points and concerns.

That being said I'm gonna keep playing because for me its the best choice atm.  I don't wanna go back to WoW and you can't make me.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

and to think you wrote this in another thread you created titled, "Why are we so hard on MMO's?", and then you carried on to write.

"The question is a simple one;
    Why do we give our chosen genre such a hard time with regards to 'revolutionary' development?
    I mean... racer after racer gets developed, which to be honest dosent really amount to more then a skin job plus a gimmick or two, and released, but racer fans don't bellow and cry like MMORPG fans do do they? Noone says "Arggh! Yet another racer set in the modern day!! With Cars!!"
    FPS after FPS gets developed, which to be honest dosent really amount to more then a skin job plus a gimmick or two, and released, but FPS fans don't bellow and cry like MMORPG fans do do they? Noone seems to complain about another FPS game that is 85% identical to the all others under it's hood.
    Why is it essential for every MMORPG to be 'revolutionary' or be declared a 'epic fail' again and again? Why isnt an evolutionary build up in the genre enough?
    It can't be boredom can it? After all, people have been playing identikit racers, shooters etc for far longer then we have had 'true' MMORPGs..?
    Is it the games or the gamers that have the issues here? Are we just so burnt out and jaded that all we know is that we want something 'different', even if we don't know what that 'different' is? Or is the very MMORPG model the problem to most? Is it just not very good once you take out the social heart (as most modern games seem to be driven towards doing)?
    Why are we so intolerant of the very gaming model that, after all, created this industry?"

I am confused as to how this post conflict with the OP I made..

Would you explain to me plz?

I am very flettered you took the time read my posts this far back tho :)

Originally posted by Cola

I dont think they care about surviving long term. Its obvious in how they made the game or should I say Halfway made the game.

Agreed 100%.

WAR is the classic modern thinking that is killing modern MMORPGs. Most of the current gen of players don't care though, because, to be frank, they never saw how good these games can be when they have a soul. The only thing that has ever made them good is the players, but they don't seem to get it.

We live in the age of the MMO arcade game, and thats a shame to me personally.

Instead of having golden eggs for the next ten years, they all seem happy to just settle for killing the goose for one big dinner. 

So Sad.

Originally posted by galliard1981

WAR is one of the best mmo today. if u can point better, please do us this favor. otherwise, maybe u just need to take a break from playing mmo for about  6 months (you are apparently too bored)

This one made me lol.

Thank you.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159
    Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Cola

Agreed 100%.

WAR is the classic modern thinking that is killing modern MMORPGs. Most of the current gen of players don't care though, because, to be frank, they never saw how good these games can be when they have a soul. The only thing that has ever made them good is the players, but they don't seem to get it.

We live in the age of the MMO arcade game, and thats a shame to me personally.

Instead of having golden eggs for the next ten years, they all seem happy to just settle for killing the goose for one big dinner. 

So Sad.

Shh.. you're going to spawn the "you suck" whambulance..

The younger generation players who think that we are elitist jerks and that we just dun want to learn to enjoy them games....

So shhh

imageThe last of the Trackers

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by jackman1118

so you guys dont like pvping, sorry.

I mean honestly your complaints are so QQ, yet you managed to type that much? join a med/full server and roll DESTRO if you want to do some pansy PQ's, or join order to do open world RVR / scenarios.

MYTHIC ISNT FORCING YOU TO JOIN LOW/LOW SERVERS, SO STOP KILLING YOURSELF BY PLAYING IN THEM.

seriously, you complain about lack of pve people and yet you didnt do any of the major dungeons... you complain about open world pvp and I bet you were one of 10,000 destro zerging everyone....

This game has something for everyone, but you have to know where to go to find it. I had a 17 sorc on a med order full destro and it was not fun for me because all i could do is PVE with all the other destro. Now im on my 15 BW and im loving the open world pvp and scenarios. (especially when we take that one keep and i can go buy my renown skills :P )

even on medium/high servers game feels empty and dead.. open ur eyes.. having 2-3k server caps in 2008 is unheard thing. killing this game.. this game is ment to be played by 4-6k players per server. probably even more.. i would say 10x more at a times..