Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First WAR city siege takes place

From Eurogamer

" Although Mythic hoped that it would take at least a month before a city siege took place in its new MMO Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, the first occurrence has come less than two weeks after launch.

On Tuesday night, the Destruction side (bad guys) attacked and successfully sacked Altdorf, the capital of the Order races (good guys), on the English-language European server, Karak Eight Peaks. Another first for Europe's raiders.

According to forum posts, the raid didn't present the expected challenge. Reports put the Destruction force at a relatively small 30 to 40 players, many of whom weren't at max level, and weren't wearing the best equipment.

The entire process, beginning with the capture of the contested zones, began in the early evening and was over by the small hours of the morning. This despite the fact that Mythic boss Mark Jacobs told Eurogamer in a recent interview that completing a city siege in one night would be impossible:

"We've laid everything out in a manner that your side has to accomplish a lot, so it's going to take time. We've seen the other games out there where people can do things late at night while nobody else is on, but it doesn't work that way in WAR. It's impossible," he said.

"It should be weeks unless we really messed up."

Plenty of members of the WAR community are already crying foul and claiming that Mythic "messed up". There are reports - mostly from the Order side, naturally - that Destruction exploited a bug in the game's most recent patch update.

One eyewitness was shocked at how easy it was for Destruction to overrun the city's defences, noting that the enemy force entered the final keep guarding Altdorf via a rear door used by the Order side, rather than having to use siege weapons to take the main door down as intended.

"The whole thing," the poster said, referring to the capture of the final fortress, "for a small group of sub level 40s with probably very poor gear compared to endgame, took 15 minutes tops. This is supposed to be the final objective in an epic battle to unlock city sieges."

Destruction players pointed to the lack of player defence on the Order side, but this scenario is what Jacobs said he was trying to avoid. At any rate, this is certainly not what Mythic would have hoped for from the first attempt to take on its grand Realm-versus-Realm endgame.

We've contacted Mythic for comment. In the meantime, you can pick over the bones of the event in the thread on Warhammer Alliance."

Comments

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

Man, that is really disappointing.....

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

I find this hard to believe unless GOA doesn't have T4 locked like it is in the US.   T4 has been locked since before launch to ensure that a healthy sized community is at T4  to avoid this exact scenario where an undefended city gets sacked by 30 to 40 people. 

Sounds more like GOA fucked up by allowing T4 to be even open either that or EuroGamer talked to some people making some shit up which is entirely possible.

• AlphaCoyoteAlphaCoyote Member UncommonPosts: 53

Ya they power leveled to 40 and used exploits.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

In the end it really doesnt matter, a city was sacked nonetheless, major blow for order side. It was DURING the day time meaning not enough players were defending, you've gotta have expected that. No fun really when you're just basically sieging NPC's.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by banthis

I find this hard to believe unless GOA doesn't have T4 locked like it is in the US.   T4 has been locked since before launch to ensure that a healthy sized community is at T4  to avoid this exact scenario where an undefended city gets sacked by 30 to 40 people. 
    Sounds more like GOA fucked up by allowing T4 to be even open either that or EuroGamer talked to some people making some shit up which is entirely possible.

Warhammer Alliance thread. 

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197

It happened on 9/30. I'm surprised that people haven't heard about it. Actually I guess I'm not surprised considering the lack of any community news or official forums. Plus Mythic is probably trying to keep a lid on it.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124161

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

this is what happens when you don't allow open-beta on the most important part of your game.   How could you not see this coming.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

easy to get inside but not easy to take the boss and sub-bosses.

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

I sense mass server wide win trading incoming.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Real pride in WAR:

"From then on to Altdorf they took keeps over several hours and the big order guilds did NOTHING to help, there were only disorganised order groups trying to stop them

They were in Altdorf by 1:00 AM because the big order guilds were too busy farming renown gear in scenarios"

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

well i cant speak for others, but i would never sit there and let the other side roll over me....no matter how low level i am

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by AstralGeth

It happened on 9/30. I'm surprised that people haven't heard about it. Actually I guess I'm not surprised considering the lack of any community news or official forums. Plus Mythic is probably trying to keep a lid on it.
    http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124161

I completely agree.  I also feel that warhammer alliance could do a better job with their news segments. 

Mythic really should have made forums.  What they did is much more of a cop out then a better solution.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by miagisan

well i cant speak for others, but i would never sit there and let the other side roll over me....no matter how low level i am

Hmmm.  Couple of small questions here;

As I understand it you cannot access the higher tier areas unless you are a high enough level character?

(I don't know as I am not a subscriber - waiting a couple of months to see some real reviews)

Have you ever been in a situation where you were totally out-numbered and out-gunned online?

Where everytime you spawned in you just got killed before you could even get your bearings?

Is that a Destruction Signature?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

RvR

* Some of the monsters and doors in the RvR fortresses were found to have improper behaviors and settings, making them less challenging than originally intended. These issues have been corrected, and RvR fortresses should now provide a more appropriate level of challenge to players.

this was in todays hotfix so problem solved.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Raztor

Real pride in WAR:

"From then on to Altdorf they took keeps over several hours and the big order guilds did NOTHING to help, there were only disorganised order groups trying to stop them
    They were in Altdorf by 1:00 AM because the big order guilds were too busy farming renown gear in scenarios"

LoL tell me something we all dont know. Every scenario I played on order side we lose 9/10 times. Due to the lack of teamwork and communication (at least on my server) And you're right people only care about loot and money, they're too busy to be paying attention to anything else. They wont notice how bad it hurts them until its already too late, like now. And when they try to retake whats thiers, the destruction side will be waiting and expecting them and know that order side will fail miserably.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Well it was expected to happen. Players always rush to top levels much faster than devs expect. It was the same rude awakening with AoC.

Also, with Mythic making Destro MUCH more appealing and powerful, its no wonder really. As Order player, personally I could not care less. Altdorf is an ugly city no matter what level and there is virtually no reason to go there anyways. If it were the fair city of Qeynos I'd fight for every inch. But Altdorf... who cares.

One of the probs of EVERY RVR game is some guilds have the chance to make overnight attacks. It kinda kills the very idea of RVR imo, but I dont see any way to really prevent it, other than people's decency, and you know we are lost if we have to rely on THAT. I experienced it often enough that next morning entire maps were taken over by unemployed-only-guilds.

Order player better get used to it. With the usual ratio you never gonna see a the Inevitable City sacked EVER, anyways. Rest assured, after a few dozen times Altdorf is sacked, Destro will get bored of it and RVR will die out eventually anyway.

The only paragraph that should make you think is Mythic saying that stuff about "unless we really mess it up". Guess they did.

EDIT: If the Emperor is dead, maybe we are lucky and get democracy and get rid of Sigmarist bigots, no? ^^

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

sorta reminds me of the first MC clear :P

• c0nan999c0nan999 Member Posts: 15

never underestimate the human monkey.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

all the same the city should nt have fallen in a few hours.Mythic had intended that atleast seige would last a week.

As someone said lack of open beta to see how seiges play out shows.

Sucks if u rolled an ORDER cause on each server they will get there butts kicked very easily

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

ha thats not the problem they exploited a ton to get into and sack the city so fast. Hence the reason they had to hot fix it right after.

Let me remind us all of the glorious glorious reckoning bomb in WoW, If your a pally like i was then you know it and most likely tried it:P, now that was amazing. The ability to kill a end game boss in seconds with one character. man i miss those days not gonna lie

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Game developers always thinks that these things will take longer than it does...

No big worries there but it sounds like the sieging thing needs some work, sounds like it went too fast. No big suprise there either, things like these needs months to get right.

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

Well if they made to too hard, then everyone would be posting that they spent three days sieging city and got nothing :)

I suspect that there will be a few patches to lock out the exploits, and next time it will be a bit harder.

• PHInnocentPHInnocent Member Posts: 47

Few thoughts:

1. Sieging Altdorf was probably unnoticed by every other that the ones attacking, because it doesn't really affect anything.

2. You couldn't defend unless you were 32+ which majority of players and guilds weren't for reasonable reasons.

3. Programming flaws allowed unexpected results in an effort that was out of boundaries.

4. Grats to the ones that managed to do the trick. Now get a life and try again after 2 months when the factions have evened out.

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

Only reason Destruction wins is because of their shear outnumbers. Also might I add, very overpowered classes that are expected to be nerfed very shortly. Most Scenarios consist of a 2:5 Healer and 1:4 Tank ratio in the favor of Destruction. This is because of their enormous population, they will have a much more abundance of utility. So, in other words, when you get beat by Order; you better feel pretty bad about that loss. Because, I'm feeling ya.

Destruction = Alliance

Order = Horde

It'll even out once again in the end.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by miagisan

Hmmm.  Couple of small questions here;

As I understand it you cannot access the higher tier areas unless you are a high enough level character?

(I don't know as I am not a subscriber - waiting a couple of months to see some real reviews)

Have you ever been in a situation where you were totally out-numbered and out-gunned online?

Where everytime you spawned in you just got killed before you could even get your bearings?

Is that a Destruction Signature?

1) anyone can access the capitol city, level 1 up

2) yes, i have, swg i got rolled everytime, but still enjoyed it :)