Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So World of warcraft must be somewhat scared.

Massively's sister site WoW Insider is reporting that the upcoming mega-patch to World of Warcraft will include nerfs. But not to your precious Hunter or Warlock ... no, the nerfs are hitting the bosses of the Burning Crusade and Outlands. Major changes to the way fundamental game mechanics work have resulted in bosses that are significantly more challenging than they were intended to be when the BC expansion was released. To combat this, every boss in Outlands has had their health reduced by (in some circumstances) up to 30%.

Blogger Alex Ziebart runs down the numerous 'old style' raid tactics that, now deprecated, the Blizzard developers had to tune for. "Shaman stacking", and "Shadow Priest mana batteries" were just two of the tactics that neccessitated these changes. Alex views these changes as "an absolutely required retuning", and we're inclined to agree. Check out the discussion of the latest PTR patch to World of Warcraft, and plenty of analysis, at WoW Insider.

Why else would they nerf BC content so shortly after WAR came out?   It has seemed to work fine for them for quite a long time and now all of a sudden they want to make the content easier for everyone. 

Currently playing:
LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Comments

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197

Why else? Because there is an expansion coming out next month and they want to make it easier for people to do BC content and get to 70 to use the expansion content.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

scared? of what?

lol... will you guys every stop imagining bullshit like this?

Wow is not threatened by anything... let alone WAR....

war is just another mmo which will have a few hundread thousand players playing... just like lotro and aoc.... that's it...

get used to it...

..Cake..

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

The wishful thinking of the WoW hate brigade never ceases to amuse.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    Originally posted by sgel

scared? of what?

war is just another mmo which will have a few hundread thousand players playing... just like lotro and aoc.... that's it...
    get used to it...

Lol... war is still new... hell it had 900k+ beta applicants? Hell ... and we have a dev team that listens... I can see our numbers doing well pretty soon if they aren't already.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by SioBabble

The wishful thinking of the WoW hate brigade never ceases to amuse.

Actually I have played WoW for years but nice try. 

They didn't do this when BC came out.  They didn't nerf AQ40 and Naxx so more people could get through the content and they especially wouldn't do it for that reason only a month before the expansion comes out. 

Sorry guys but that doesn't ring true.  The majority of people who stick with WoW due so because of the Carrot on the Stick mentality.  With new content coming in about 2 months why would they need to increase the availability of Phat loot? 

Only one reason and that reason is they have had decreased server attendance.  They know exactly how many people are logging on how often (which of course is not the same as their 11million world wide subscriber number since that only counts subscriptions and not play time).  If they have seen a decrease in their peak population then yes they would be concerned.  In the past they have always had increased numbers to replace people who have gotten bored.  But within the last year or two they haven't increased nearly as quickly (which supports that they have reached somewhat of a plateu on subscribers) plus you combine that with the siphoning off of some subscribers by the current releases and you have a situation that Blizzard doesn't want to see. 

The last thing they want to see is the start of a decline. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

Blizzard isn't "scared". They realise WAR is the first strong competitor on the market, and are wisely taking precautions in order to lose as few subscribers as possible. Probably more than a little envious and how polished the game is, and how smooth the launch is, compared to back when World of WarCraft launched. But be realistic - while I'll be surprised if Warhammer isn't going to hold at least a couple of million players eventually, Blizzard isn't "scared", and it will not "kill WoW". There's plenty of room for both games, as well as many others.

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197

This isn't the first time they've done something like this. In 2.3 they reduced XP needed to level pre-lvl60, boosted xp rewards from quests and nerfed the "elite" world quests to make it easier to advance your character to get to the high-level content.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

Blizzard has nothing to be scared of.

Please, for the love of god, no more pointless WoW threads in the WAR forums.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• ShadowfaderShadowfader Member Posts: 8

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/01/raids-rebalanced-for-patch-3-0-2/

No more stacking 6 shaman for their heroism / bloodlust. No more stacking leatherworkers for drums of battle. Shadowpriest mana regen lowered. With these changes, overall raid DPS will go down. The bosses had their HP adjusted for these changes and it was needed.  With all the major changes to the classes and their buffs in the upcoming expansion, I doubt these will be the only changes made to bosses.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

*sighs* Why do people even care? Anyway, I was considering a return to WoW even after WAR released...the servers are still the populations they were before. Some still have to deal with ques it seems from time to time as well. They are not suffering some major decline as you would like to put it. The whole idea that they are nerfing the Outland content has something to do with WAR is farfetched. No, they didn't do so before the previous expansion but does that mean they approach it the same each time? Of course not. You adjust, adapt and make changes where you see fit. Just like they don't intend the gear from BC to be complete rubbish with Lich King releases unlike that first expansion. They adjusted.

So yes in all likelyhood this has to do with the expansion. The entire patch is about preparing the game for that. Heck, I chose not to return myself so I'm no fanboy like most like to put these things, and I know they are not 'scared' about the release of one game (WAR). It is a collective of releases that can make a major dent in their numbers. Not just a single one. We're talking about a game with what? 9-10 million subs? Do you understand how many that is? And they are also quite aware no matter what success AoC/WAR have right now (or EQ@ with it's Nov. expansion and TCoS release that month) that once Lich King is released WoW's numbers will have some sort of increase. It is inevitable no matter if anyone wishes to believe it or not. You can not sit atop that long, be played by that many, that they will not grow curious enough to try the expansion.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

They've got a buffer, fat enough to stop an oil tanker that has gone awol. So real worries at Blue HQ because of diminishing server pops?

Short answer: Nah

Long answer: Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Though I wish they WOULD worry, and I wish most WoW pvp fans would check out WAR since they are both good games and a little competition between them can only bring us good ... all of us. WOW nor WAR will get 'destroyed' by the other.

But no community where and whenever, has been better off by one company having a monopoly on a particular product.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637

Its always good to have competition.  I hope WAR gets a million subs so WoW is forced to improve itself.

While WoW has 10 million subs, most of them are not in the Western world.  And WAR did sell 500k copies in the first week.

It will be naive to think no one at Blizzard is analyzing if WAR is or not a thread.  I am sure they are and I am sure they are evaluating what to do.

Imho, all this is great.  As I said, imo, competition is good.

I dont really know if WAR will kill WoW.  I truelly hope not.  I dont want WoW dead.  But I will like to see more than 1 huge MMO (messured in subs) and the rest very small.  Its not the best market.  I will like to see WoW, WAR and some others MMOs fighitng for the subs (lowering prices, improving, thinking xpacs beyond the "raising of cap", etc).

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

For people who don't really pay much attention to what WoW is doing...They changed alot of things for the xpac (if you really wanna know i could dig everything up but i'm lazy heh) changed the way raid buffing works, gave more raid utility to other classes like rogues have a distract type ability like hunters stuff like that, they also removed ..i believe it was crushing blows or something like that, which meant that with all these changes they had to go back and re-tune boss fights in old instances. 

Tons and Tons of more things but really blizzard is never scared of anyone, no reason to be, even if they lost 5million subs to War they still will have millions playing all of thier different games, hell i bet a lot of Mythic people and Blizzard people are good buddies, probably making fun of us that bring up  this stupid war vs wow crap.

And well i do know they probably are checking into what each other is doing, as WoW has adapted things from WAR just like WAR did the same, i remember reading about them checking on the burning crusade or whatever, all its doing is making them push their game to be the best it can be which is good for both companies, which is very good for us gamers and are wonderful dysfunctional  family

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• Pyro240Pyro240 Member Posts: 194

scared? of what?

get used to it...

I'm going to laugh so hard in your face when WAR reaches 1million subs!

=)

nom nom nom

• valkerusvalkerus Member UncommonPosts: 62

In the response to not nerfing Naxx and AQ 40 with BC that's pretty simple why they didn't. BC greens made naxx epics look like childs play stat wise. 60 tanks had 3k hp's. 61 tanks had 6k hp's. No need to nerf bosses if you buff the player base.

I agree also that i hope WAR has great numbers to force WoW to be more innovative. There is never anything wrong with competition.  I actually subscribe to both games. I am more of a pve player though and as such prefer wow. But when i get an itch to pvp i'm in WAR. 

I would find it more plausible that WAR released a bit early to avoid competition with the WoW expansion than WoW changing their business strategy for a game that to this date has yet to prove its lasting power.

• ThreetownsThreetowns Member UncommonPosts: 322

I really could care less what blizzard does... :)

This Stuff just opens up more Trolling on the war forums. :(

Nothing wrong with talking about a game, just this kind of stuff sends out a bad message.

Time to put a lock on this one..

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Im not surprised that blizzard did this.  Yea, they want to allow more people to experience the content before it becomes outdated.  They had the same concept when they implemented the purchasable honor gear, allowing people to get those shiny pvp epics only a few players ever had before.

Im playing war right now and I will say this: WoW is, by far, the superior game.  Of course it has four years of tweaking and polishing.

War however, has the potential to be better (imo).  It will take time, but I think it will pay off.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

scared? of what?

get used to it...

Im with you. Is all that and only that.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

Why else would they nerf BC content so shortly after WAR came out?   It has seemed to work fine for them for quite a long time and now all of a sudden they want to make the content easier for everyone. 

Oh gosh, here we go again... they did the exact same thing just before the release of the BC.  It's because they want to make it easier for players to reach the minimum lvl requirement needed for the new wotlk zones. It has nothing to do with war.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

Massively's sister site WoW Insider is reporting that the upcoming mega-patch to World of Warcraft will include nerfs. But not to your precious Hunter or Warlock ... no, the nerfs are hitting the bosses of the Burning Crusade and Outlands. Major changes to the way fundamental game mechanics work have resulted in bosses that are significantly more challenging than they were intended to be when the BC expansion was released. To combat this, every boss in Outlands has had their health reduced by (in some circumstances) up to 30%.
    Blogger Alex Ziebart runs down the numerous 'old style' raid tactics that, now deprecated, the Blizzard developers had to tune for. "Shaman stacking", and "Shadow Priest mana batteries" were just two of the tactics that neccessitated these changes. Alex views these changes as "an absolutely required retuning", and we're inclined to agree. Check out the discussion of the latest PTR patch to World of Warcraft, and plenty of analysis, at WoW Insider.

WOTLK is comming out verry soon. They maked it just faster to get past lvl 70 so people can go and play to 80... It has NOTHING to do with WAR. WAR is just another mmo, I don't believe it will ever get as much players as WOW has, so WOW has nothing to be afraid about, it's just to big and it will stay big for a long time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

WoW is about as threatened by WAR taking over the #1 slot, as the US is threatened by the fact that France might attack us.

See the irony?  Neither will ever happen.  I like WAR, I'm playing in Kislev.  However, the game is a niche market.  It'll be the #2 MMO, but it will never beat WoW.  Too many fanboys.  Not to mention the fact that WoW has a BIG lead.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • skaiskai Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by valkerus  
    In the response to not nerfing Naxx and AQ 40 with BC that's pretty simple why they didn't. BC greens made naxx epics look like childs play stat wise. 60 tanks had 3k hp's. 61 tanks had 6k hp's. No need to nerf bosses if you buff the player base.

Talk about exaggeration...

Anyway, the reason pre-TBC content didn't get nerfed is simply that there was no need to.  Nothing got nerfed in class mechanics so all the classes were able to perform the same as before. This time around, with the downranking and mana regen nerf, healers took a major longevity nerf.  Shortening the encounters is merely Blizzard's answer.

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

WoW is about as threatened by WAR taking over the #1 slot, as the US is threatened by the fact that France might attack us.
    See the irony?  Neither will ever happen.  I like WAR, I'm playing in Kislev.  However, the game is a niche market.  It'll be the #2 MMO, but it will never beat WoW.  Too many fanboys.  Not to mention the fact that WoW has a BIG lead.

I don't see why the french could not attack the US, after all, a bunch of cave dwellers did it on 9/11.  They just have to do it undercover..

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757
    Originally posted by LeKinK

I don't see why the french could not attack the US, after all, a bunch of cave dwellers did it on 9/11.  They just have to do it undercover..

Heh, yeah cave dwellers with millions of dollars.  Besides it was an inside job.  The french?  You mean those people whose asses we saved twice now?  They don't have balls as big as the cave dwellers.

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899
    Originally posted by greymann

Originally posted by LeKinK

Heh, yeah cave dwellers with millions of dollars.  Besides it was an inside job.  The french?  You mean those people whose asses we saved twice now?  They don't have balls as big as the cave dwellers.

lol,  but yea,  you think france is a poor country?  They could work it from the inside as well with more freedom.   They have the same amount of hair tho.