Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good to Go MMO by SOE.

JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

www.gameguru.in/sony-psp/2008/30/psp-mmo-being-considered-by-sony/

Can not copy it but basically SOE and Smed want to give you a MMO Hand Job on the PSP.

Good luck with that.

Try this

www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689635/Sony_PSP_Open_To_The_MMO_World.html

Sony PSP: Open To MMO World

Posted by John Manalang - Monday, September 29, 2008 8:59 AM

Have you ever considered an MMO title hitting a portable gaming platform? It's certainly addicting enough to just have it available via a home console, but Sony Online's considering the idea on the Playstation Portable. Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley said to MTV:

“And as we’ve kind of got our heads up looking around the world within Sony Computer Entertainment, we’re really starting to see a big push for PSP. We think it’s a world-class device… In the future, we see full MMOs that are designed for the PSP.”

Smedley added that possible MMO applications to the PSP could be linked to their upcoming subscription-free MMO title, Free Realms, where they could utilize the portable console for a "pet-training system" that links to the game. "Another way to do it might be to give them mini-games that they can do [on the PSP] when sitting at a bus stop,” said Smedley.

With the PSP's ailing third party support, an MMO application could be an interesting attempt in boosting the system's credibility with third-party developers. What do you think? ENDQUOTE

What do I think? Texting is not bad enough but I can hardly wait for accidents to occur due to playing a Handheld MMO . I wonder if SOE legal is ready for that?

Unaware of the Jestor?
http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

All sorts of games are already out on the psp, so I wouldn't be that worried.

Besides when looking at the games/internet/tv that will come out one a cell-phone I wouldn't worry that much about something that is a handheld game console, I would be abit worried about all the games turning over to cell-phones and people actually watching tv as well on it, which will cause more problems then just a psp, I mean there are allot of people who might own a PSP, but I bet that its a minority compared to people who own a Cell-phone, and sure for now mostly high-end phones offer certain functions, but it won't take long before many more will offer allot more options then the current phones have.

Overall it's not that big of a deal, but again thanks for the ad from SOE, still I find you have a curious hobby, I mean advertising or sharing news about a company you seem to dislike, is to me a strange hobby sorry. I love it when people share new so don't get me wrong but the free advertising you do for SOE makes me wonder which side you are actually on.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Interesting really, but i'm sure they'll have some way of staying out of trouble from it like have an agreement you have to say yes to before you can play it or something, kinda like the annoying one WAR has popping up everytime you log in.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Actually I'm surprised with all the homebrew DS stuff nobody's done it there yet...

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• AlundreAlundre Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

Actually I'm surprised with all the homebrew DS stuff nobody's done it there yet...

I always thought the idea of playing an MMO on a handheld would rock. Provided you had a wireless connection, you could play it from anywhere.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by Reklaw

All sorts of games are already out on the psp, so I wouldn't be that worried.

Besides when looking at the games/internet/tv that will come out one a cell-phone I wouldn't worry that much about something that is a handheld game console, I would be abit worried about all the games turning over to cell-phones and people actually watching tv as well on it, which will cause more problems then just a psp, I mean there are allot of people who might own a PSP, but I bet that its a minority compared to people who own a Cell-phone, and sure for now mostly high-end phones offer certain functions, but it won't take long before many more will offer allot more options then the current phones have.
    Overall it's not that big of a deal, but again thanks for the ad from SOE, still I find you have a curious hobby, I mean advertising or sharing news about a company you seem to dislike, is to me a strange hobby sorry. I love it when people share new so don't get me wrong but the free advertising you do for SOE makes me wonder which side you are actually on.

Reklaw , Once I again, I am not the topic. The topic is heldheld MMOS by SOE for the PSP.  You really love that Jestor .... most folks do.

Btw I am truly sadden about the passing of Jeff Freeman this past week in Austin. Peace and blessing to his family , friends and co-workers

Unaware of the Jestor?

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

MMORPGs are too big to go on a PSP or a DS. The UMD's dont have nearly enough storage to store a MMORPG, and the wireless internet is pretty slow, i mean just playing with 3 other people in monster hunter can sometimes lag.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine

MMORPGs are too big to go on a PSP or a DS. The UMD's dont have nearly enough storage to store a MMORPG, and the wireless internet is pretty slow, i mean just playing with 3 other people in monster hunter can sometimes lag.

I can agree with about the lag on wireless but to throw a bone to the PSP , they have the ability for additional memory which would have to be a rec for an MMO by SOE -- How convient !

Unaware of the Jestor?

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Alundre
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost Actually I'm surprised with all the homebrew DS stuff nobody's done it there yet...

I always thought the idea of playing an MMO on a handheld would rock. Provided you had a wireless connection, you could play it from anywhere.

Assuming it was a good game, I would totally buy a DS just for that.

Now that you mention it, I'm actually surprised Nintendo hasn't tried to make (or tried to sign with a developer to make) an MMO based on Pokemon. Every iteration of the series not only gets larger, but becomes more and more multiplayer focused (mostly because of the new capabilities of the DS). An MMO seems the next logical step.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Originally posted by tvalentine

Misinformed they name is tvalentine.

A PSP UMD holds 1.8GB, which is more than enough for a small scale MMO.

The lag in Monster Hunter is just bad programming by Capcom. There are first person shooters on PSP by Sony and EA that can do 32 players over the internet with no lag at all.

The biggest problem that the PSP would have is RAM. An old PSP has 32MB of RAM which is not nearly enough for a game that could have dozens of people in the same area all wearing different armor.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

The mentiong of SOE and Smedley (especially in the same sentence) immediately has me assume whatever new thing they're involved with will be instant shit. and it will be.

Originally posted by Asamof

The mentiong of SOE and Smedley (especially in the same sentence) immediately has me assume whatever new thing they're involved with will be instant shit. and it will be.

I would not say that , if SOE sticks with the  Everquest franchise. In fact if they can get a server that will also run EQ1 then it would be well received and a way for those sneaky bastards to force a Station Pass sale.

EDTI: This just in from : www.1up.com/do/newsStory

Considering the versatility of the PSP and how well it can work with the PS3, I can envision MMOs on it. However, something with very simple graphics like Gaia's zOMG! or Maple Story -- which is actually in development for the DS -- would work much better than Star Wars Galaxies or EverQuest. Besides, I'm sure Sony wouldn't want to be responsible for people going blind playing MMOs for hours on end on such a small screen. ENDQUOTE

Don't Bet on it ! SOE will market Enhanced Viewing Googles ( IE reading glasses 2.75) With their new PSP MMO Game

Unaware of the Jestor?