Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Advice: Looking for Realistic Fantasy MMORPG

SweeeetSweeeet Member Posts: 5

Hi! I have played some MMORPGs (Anarchy Online, Ryzom, DAoC, WoW, LotRO) and am checking the game list and announcements here at mmorpg.com regurlarly. But still have not found the game I am looking for. I would like to describe what kind of game I would love to play - if you have a idea which game might fit that description (or at least as close as today's games can get to this), I would be thankful for any suggestions.

Basically, I "just" want REALISM. This may sound a bit odd, as we all play games to escape from the boring and troublesome reality (at least partially), but I am perfectly happy with playing a char in a world I will never be able to live IRL (fantasy setting preferred). Ok, very hard death penalties aren't exactly fun, but apart from that, a game cannot be too realistic for my taste.

What I would love to see in an MMORPG:

• Graphics with realistic colors, models and animations. No chars looking like Super Mario or bubble gum colored skies.
  • Free character development without predefined classes.
  • A working economic system.
  • Game infrastrucure to do realm-wide politics, not just guild-wide (e.g. realm-wide elections, taxes or notifications for all to opt in).
  • Many craftable items.
  • Aging (possibly eventually dying) characters.
  • Construction and destruction of buildings or even villages and towns.
  • The possibilty to do roleplay (need some emotes and items for that, many existing MMORPGs meet this).
  • Randomness in mob strength, roam paths, behaviour.
  • Randomness in quests.

What I hate to see in MMORPGs:

• Having to decide about my char's final abilities after 0 - 20 playing hours.
  • Tons of drops that make crafting pointless. Looting something better than crafters can produce should be a rare exception.
  • Tons of glowing weapons and other equipment (really, really hate those. Yeah, I know, graphics cards can do these kinds of effects, no reason to make every other item look like a blue torch). Also, glowing melee effects.
  • Mobs that spawn at exactly the same place over and over again.
  • Completely predictable mob behaviour, even if I have never encountered that mob.
  • OOC NPC (and PC) names or OOC items (like the robots in WoW).
  • Every mob being huge (i.e. insects).
  • Cheap and easy teleportation throughout the whole world.

Any ideas which existing or announced game comes close to this? Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Well darkfall fits your criteria quite well i guess? but for now i would say try out Atlantica online, it's a strategy game like final fantasy and quite fun if you ask me

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

As the guy above said Darkfall will have most of those things hopefully.

I doubt it has aging though.

You can sign up for the beta on their website.

• ragnarokekragnarokek Member Posts: 134

aging and dying characters would make a lot of gamers depressed i think (recalling the "tamagotchi" era). but it would be cool to see your character age over time. hair turns grey, face becomes wrinkled etc.

• shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

darkfall. mortal online. take your pick. either way, you're gonna have to wait.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    Originally posted by Sweeeet

Graphics with realistic colors, models and animations. No chars looking like Super Mario or bubble gum colored skies. (the beta client was just full of awesome but the new one won't hurt your eyes at all unless you're looking at a human)
    Free character development without predefined classes.
    A working economic system. (economic system is very lol, the only purpose of money is to feed deeds and for large transactions.  It's based way to much on realism instead of fun)
    Game infrastrucure to do realm-wide politics, not just guild-wide (e.g. realm-wide elections, taxes or notifications for all to opt in).  (well there are town to town raids where you end up getting a lot of players raiding a town based on RvR and then some politics outside that)
    Many craftable items.
    Aging (possibly eventually dying) characters.
    Construction and destruction of buildings or even villages and towns.
    The possibilty to do roleplay (need some emotes and items for that, many existing MMORPGs meet this).
    Randomness in mob strength, roam paths, behaviour.
    Randomness in quests.

Having to decide about my char's final abilities after 0 - 20 playing hours.
    Tons of drops that make crafting pointless. Looting something better than crafters can produce should be a rare exception. (monsters don't drop items besides fur, meet, and a few other things, even the epics IE dragons just drop their scales that you need to craft)
    Tons of glowing weapons and other equipment (really, really hate those. Yeah, I know, graphics cards can do these kinds of effects, no reason to make every other item look like a blue torch). Also, glowing melee effects.   (well even if the graphics were donish those effects wouldn't be there)
    Mobs that spawn at exactly the same place over and over again. (they do and don't these little house thingies spawn which is where creatures spawn from.  the spawn house eventually dies and spaws elsewhere randomly and players can destroy them early if they decide they don't want them there)
    Completely predictable mob behaviour, even if I have never encountered that mob.
    OOC NPC (and PC) names or OOC items (like the robots in WoW).
    Every mob being huge (i.e. insects).
    Cheap and easy teleportation throughout the whole world. (massive world two maps that are 256KM Sq.   with no teleportation at all.  even death only gives you very very limited extra mobility)

Any ideas which existing or announced game comes close to this? Suggestions appreciated.

WurmOnline has the green stuff to a great extent.  granted it's very indy,  repeat after me "this is an indy game I will not go in with false expectations I realize that the engine was originally made by 2 programmers in their hobby time therefore I will not go in with false expectation"  however that said it's more bug free than most AAA mmos are when they release and for a few while(sometimes long) after their release just lacks a lot of polish you're used to.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• PorfatPorfat Member Posts: 364

Isn't realistic fantasy an oxymoron?

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Also you might wanna look into MORTAL ONLINE - it sounds fantastic with the exception of one feature which unfortunately is a deal breaker for me - it's in First Person View play.

http://www.mortalonline.com/ = Cinematic trailer through in-game footage.

http://www.mortalonline.com/features features.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Phantasy star online, and FFXI have some of what you are looking for.

• SweeeetSweeeet Member Posts: 5

Thank you very much for your suggenstions. The concept of Darfall is very promising, but I don't like the graphics and animations I've seen so far (especially animations are horrible).

Mortal Online looks like the best match so far, but I am not sure if I like the 1st person view.

Still have to take a look at the other candidates you mentioned. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Porfat

Isn't realistic fantasy an oxymoron?

With realistic I mean believable and coherent in itself.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I'd say you take a look at Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

• joey613joey613 Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Also you might wanna look into MORTAL ONLINE - it sounds fantastic with the exception of one feature which unfortunately is a deal breaker for me - it's in First Person View play.

is mortal online out yet? it seems like an awesome game.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by joey613

is mortal online out yet? it seems like an awesome game.

Nope, sorry to say but it's not out yet

• BroGamingPageBroGamingPage Member UncommonPosts: 492

To me, this is actually going to be a great thing. I've been watching Mortal online from the start and can't wait until beta. First person view, great. Reminds me of the neocron days.  Mortal Online will be unique, can't wait.

18 months after the original post, I still have not found a good candidate for the kind of game I am looking for.

Do you have any ideas after reading the initial posting?

Any input welcome.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Sweeeet

Hi! I have played some MMORPGs (Anarchy Online, Ryzom, DAoC, WoW, LotRO) and am checking the game list and announcements here at mmorpg.com regurlarly. But still have not found the game I am looking for. I would like to describe what kind of game I would love to play - if you have a idea which game might fit that description (or at least as close as today's games can get to this), I would be thankful for any suggestions.
    Basically, I "just" want REALISM. This may sound a bit odd, as we all play games to escape from the boring and troublesome reality (at least partially), but I am perfectly happy with playing a char in a world I will never be able to live IRL (fantasy setting preferred). Ok, very hard death penalties aren't exactly fun, but apart from that, a game cannot be too realistic for my taste.

Graphics with realistic colors, models and animations. No chars looking like Super Mario or bubble gum colored skies. - Age of Conan is probably about as "realistic style" as you can get
    Free character development without predefined classes. - UO, AC
    A working economic system. - that's pretty subjective...most basic designs "work" however players buying currency from farmers often is what makes economies "not work"
    Game infrastrucure to do realm-wide politics, not just guild-wide (e.g. realm-wide elections, taxes or notifications for all to opt in). Well...Lineage 2 has a tax system based on castle ownership. Castle ownership is accomplished through sieges which take an alliance to be successful...so lots of "politicing" going on. I would think it would be difficult to structure in politics to much without detracting from the game. Give players something to fight over or control and politics will evolve from that. That is the core of politics, power. Power derives from control of something. Politics with some sort of conflict is benign and pointless.
    Many craftable items. - huh, almost any game fits that
    Aging (possibly eventually dying) characters. - why?
    Construction and destruction of buildings or even villages and towns. - Dunno, I think there was only one game that did that, Shadowbane, and it shut down.
    The possibilty to do roleplay (need some emotes and items for that, many existing MMORPGs meet this). Again, pretty subjective. RP is an activity that only the player can really initiate emotes these days are pretty comprehensive in just about any newer game. Alot of games even have apperance tabs or social clothing. The games themselves are role playing games (MMORPG). It is the attitude of the individual players that makes it anything else. You are free to RP or not to RP in any game.
    Randomness in mob strength, roam paths, behaviour. - would be nice but that is probably outside of todays technological ability, give it a few years
    Randomness in quests.  - same as above

Having to decide about my char's final abilities after 0 - 20 playing hours.
    Tons of drops that make crafting pointless. Looting something better than crafters can produce should be a rare exception. - depends on the game, I agree that many games can't seem to decide if they want to be loot based or crafting based. LotR, Vanguard and most of the other fantasy grinders seem to suffer from this.
    Tons of glowing weapons and other equipment (really, really hate those. Yeah, I know, graphics cards can do these kinds of effects, no reason to make every other item look like a blue torch). Also, glowing melee effects. - shut it off(?)
    Mobs that spawn at exactly the same place over and over again. - see your other point, I don't think the technology is out there that can really do anything else on the scale of an MMO. Just getting those critters to "pop" sometimes over and over can have issues.
    Completely predictable mob behaviour, even if I have never encountered that mob. Same as above
    OOC NPC (and PC) names or OOC items (like the robots in WoW). Not sure what you mean here. "out of character" names? You mean like farmer bots named YHG7463? thats an adminstration issue. Before WoW launched they put out a strict naming policy and they would enforce it....we saw where that went.
    Every mob being huge (i.e. insects). Huh?
    Cheap and easy teleportation throughout the whole world. You obviously never played Lineage 2, sure there is teleportation but it will bankrupt you if you use it more then a few times.

You are looking for a little element called "dynamic" in your points. Right now PvE doesn't really offer that in MMO's. You need to rely on more of a PvP element if you are looking for unpredictability for challenge. Human players are really the only thing that bring those elements to the table.

• shadowlzshadowlz Member Posts: 50

I'm sure your looking for a medieval fantasy, but you didn't specify. Theres One game that comes to mind which is EvE online. But its Science Fiction, not medieval Fantasy. And, i really cant tell you how realistic it is, since we havent got that far in time yet, but im sure its pretty close.

The only others i can think of are Mortal Online and Darkfall. Sadly, Mortal isnt out yet and darkfall has a horrible community. Sorry i can be of more help.

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Id say go back to DAOC for real alot of exciting things happening like a complete server merger and the pop is good at the moment on devon it will be awesome on Ywain...look the water is good in DAOC right now even it don't last...ride the lightning one more time brother for a last hurrah!

Sorry, for not having replied yet and thanks for your answers, especially to Torak.

@beeker255: Sorry, but DAoC is dead for me. The last big decisions in the DAoC development were all awful, especially copying WoW Tauren and introducing more and more grind.

@shadowlz: I've tested Eve and liked it. But not enough to get hooked. As you can see from this thread I have patience. I can wait till Mortal comes out :).

Age of Conan is probably about as "realistic style" as you can get

AoC is very cheap nowadays. I guess I'm gonna test it for 1 month.

Aging (possibly eventually dying) characters. - why?

Good question. I guess because I want to feel some kind of evolution. Ever reactivated an account after 1 year? It feels strange if the char just stands wherever he was when you logged out a year ago.

glowing melee effects. - shut it off(?)

Most games won't allow me to. And in some of those where this is possible, weapon traces convey information about the kind of attack/weapon, so you would put yourself in a disadvantage shutting them off.

Not sure what you mean here. "out of character" names? You mean like farmer bots named YHG7463? thats an adminstration issue.

Exactly. I meant names not fitting the game world. Or generally all elements that are not coherent. All games could do that but only few do.

You need to rely on more of a PvP element

Yes, that's a wise conclusion. I tried that with DAoC and WoW pvp servers. But pvp servers tend to be radically anti-role-playing. You can visit almost no zone without the constant danger of being ganked.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

You could try Mabinogi. Its more of a social, solo-small group MMO, though it seems to have what you're looking for with the exception of a few things. Not sure if you'll end up liking it but it doesn't cost anything to try heh.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Okaay, this game probably won't have everything you mentioned but I'll tell about it anyway. FFXIV

There's a few pics. I think it's pretty realistic and beautiful.

Here's some character emotes to tell you about the animation quality:

www.youtube.com/watch

As for free character development system I'm not sure what you mean exactly. FFXIV has 4 types of classes to choose from; melee classes (including ranged), magic classes, crafting and gathering classes. You can freely switch between the 4 types (each type has many subcategories, like melee classes have Archer, Gladiator, Marauder and Pugilist so far) and you can, for example get to the maximum level without fighting once if you want to level a crafting class like Cook or Weaver.

The economic system should be working, although I'm not sure if you mean something specifically like player driven economy or NPC driven.. no clue about that yet.

No clue about realm-wide politics yet; it could be possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Since crafting is a bigger part of the game than normally in MMO's where it has a role of a minigame at best, I bet there'll be tons of craftable items. You can also dye the armors weapons and clothes as you wish and add runes and stuff.

No aging, or construction and destruction of villages (although in the story and cutscenes this might happen).

Roleplaying should be possible as you saw from the emotes, Square-Enix is considering creating emotes for two or more characters to do as well.

Monsters have better AI than usually. If you keep doing same attack over and over again, the monster starts to see through your actions. Roam paths will be random, and there are many types of mob behaviour.

Quests have different puzzles for you to solve. You can also mix up quests and there should be a random element to them.

Since you can witch classes freely you don't have to decide the characters abilities after few hours of playing. You can always switch classes.

SE has always taken a more realistic approach in their game, so glowing weapons won't be that common. 

Mobs won't spawn at the same spot over and over again.

Mob behaviour should be different based on mob type. Some run away to get help, etc.

There is a cheap and easy teleportation system, but you can only use it few times a day. You'll be using other means of transportation more often than not.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Indeed, Final Fantasy 14 will be the best rpg for him, but he will have to wait roughly a year for it to go live. If he's like most of us, a year is too long to go without a game, and he'll need something to pass the time. I personally will be playing FFXIV, and may pick up FFXI again in the interim.

• XredemptionXXredemptionX Member Posts: 51

Wurm Online.

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into these.

P.S.: YouTube-Video is offline.