Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space, physics and EVE.

2»

Comments

• UzeroKUzeroK Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by PFCPowell

You may jump to say, "but shields and force fields are totally possible, we're already experimenting with small scale impenetrable energy fields", well we're about as far along with that as we are with anything else in this game.

Shield (Force Fields) are possible. Matter can be accelereted with magnetic fields, e.g. gauss-gun (coil gun), particle accelerator (like CERN). This technology could be used to deflect projectiles. But it is not possible to deflect electro magnetic raditation by magnetic fields. Electro magnetic radiation is absorbed by matter, or virtually deflected (bent) by gravity. This is practically impossible, like warp drives ...

-> deflecting projectiles is science in "science-fiction-genre"

-> deflecting em radiation is pure fiction in "science-fiction-genre"

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by UzeroK

Originally posted by PFCPowell

You may jump to say, "but shields and force fields are totally possible, we're already experimenting with small scale impenetrable energy fields", well we're about as far along with that as we are with anything else in this game.

Shield (Force Fields) are possible. Matter can be accelereted with magnetic fields, e.g. gauss-gun (coil gun), particle accelerator (like CERN). This technology could be used to deflect projectiles. But it is not possible to deflect electro magnetic raditation by magnetic fields. Electro magnetic radiation is absorbed by matter, or virtually deflected (bent) by gravity. This is practically impossible, like warp drives ...

-> deflecting projectiles is science in "science-fiction-genre"

-> deflecting em radiation is pure fiction in "science-fiction-genre"

I think that PFCPowell made a pretty good point. I don't know what you are getting at though.

What  is the point of the OP regarding this, science or fiction?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• UzeroKUzeroK Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Orphes

I think that PFCPowell made a pretty good point. I don't know what you are getting at though.
    What  is the point of the OP regarding this, science or fiction?

No doubt. Just added something to support his post.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730

EVE physics are very detailed and up to the point, especially after having been tweaked so much over the years. Obviously the OP did not give the game the attention it needs, in order to realize the depth of the movement/combat system and expected some kind of Crysis type physics!

And his poll.......

• geetornsagegeetornsage Member Posts: 40

• gedecegedece Member Posts: 24

In real world physics, ships wouldn't have top speed, they would have diminishing acceleration as speed gathers up, but the top speed doens't have a maximum, it merely has a limit it tends to. In this context, most space combat is useless, as running head to head is imposible, and turning aroud, deaccelerating and accelerating again behind your foe is ridiculous, as he would be out of any tracking device you have before you finish turning around. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Eve Online has physics? o.0

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Fix this and let me walk around in my ship and I'll consider returning to the game.

Sorry, but with real world physics you would never be able to walk in any space ship. Not with out some form of magnetic boots. Fortunately, EVE and Sci-Fi TV ignore this fact.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by qazyman

Fix this and let me walk around in my ship and I'll consider returning to the game.

Sorry, but with real world physics you would never be able to walk in any space ship. Not with out some form of magnetic boots. Fortunately, EVE and Sci-Fi TV ignore this fact.

Gravity plating in the floor creates a heavier gravity inthe room keepingyou attached tothe floor...

imageimage

• sandboxysandboxy Member Posts: 153
    Originally posted by Liranan

There was a developer blog about this a very long time ago and it said that the gravitational force of a Titan is equal to that of a planet or, on the battlefield, a black hole (black hole is more precise) and that all ships caught within this field would get stuck which means even ammo being shot out would also get stuck to the hull.

Whut? I realise it's funny/sad to argue about spaceships that don't exist (I feel like a treknerd writing this, ewww), but from scientific angle saying that a spaceship causes strong gravitation is ridiculous. Spaceships are nothing but shells filled with gases, doesn't matter what its size is, it has very low density and thus very low gravitational pull.

"..gravitational force of a Titan is equal to that of a planet or, on the battlefield, a black hole "  Wtf, CCP devs are morons?

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by sandboxyWtf, CCP devs are morons?

Please note that the poster said this, not the ccp devs. They stated that the gravitation of a titan class ship in close orbit affects tides, and thus they are not allowed to be close to planets anymore.

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

Gravity plating in the floor creates a heavier gravity inthe room keepingyou attached tothe floor...

I googled that one "gravity plating" but didn't come up with anything good. Looked at a wiki article but gravity plating was not mentioned.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

I googled that one "gravity plating" but didn't come up with anything good. Looked at a wiki article but gravity plating was not mentioned.

Again, the fiction side of Science-Fiction. 

"fic·tion

Pronunciation: ?fik-sh?n

Function: noun

1 a: something invented by the imagination or feigned ; specifically : an invented story b: fictitious literature (as novels or short stories) c: a work of fiction ; especially : novel

2 a: an assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth <a legal fiction> b: a useful illusion or pretense

3: the action of feigning or of creating with the imagination."

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fiction

Gravity Plating would be essentially based on a form of artificial gravity.  But, if we insisit on realistic theory (theory here, theory), there is plenty:

"Gravity deprivation (weightlessness) leads to a multitude of problems for people during spaceflight. For reasons of health, comfort, and practicality, scientists have often proposed to provide artificial gravity by spinning the spacecraft. The spin-induced centripetal acceleration would act as an imperfect surrogate for natural gravity.

Thus far, design studies for artificial-gravity spacecraft have emphasized the artifact rather than the environment. A great deal of engineering has gone into station dynamics, orbital mechanics, propulsion, power generation, structural capacity, and other aspects of satellite design. Very little has been written about the appropriate environmental design to support intelligent life under such a novel condition. The effort has gone into transplanting elements originally designed for earth-normal or microgravity environments, rather than developing a new paradigm.

This dissertation aims to advance the science of environmental design for artificial gravity...."

Professor Colin Clipson, Chairman

Professor Harold Borkin

Professor Harm Buning

Professor Joe Eisley

www.artificial-gravity.com/Dissertation/FrontMatter.htm

Plenty of other published papers and discussion from other smart folks here:

www.artificial-gravity.com/

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Not a star trek fan huh?

imageimage

Originally posted by saint4God

Again, the fiction side of Science-Fiction.

Yeah, I'm getting dissy with all the jumping in and out of fiction.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

Not a star trek fan huh?

This brings up an interesting point.  Things shown in Star Trek 50 years ago are modern day realities.  Three that I can name off the top of my head that were "impossible!" by the standards of that day are:

1.)  Ion Propulsion drive - Also called 'impulse drive' on the show, this was used on our most recent deep space exploration probe named Deep Space 1. www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/ion/ 

2.)  Planetside Communicators - With a touch of a button on a small handheld unit, people on the ground could communicate with a ship in space.  Not only do we have that today, but the signal goes from earth to space then back to earth again in real time and with video!  www.highspeedsat.com/satellite-phone-how.htm

3.) Medical Tri-Corder.  This is a non-invasive scanning device that can detect what's wrong with a person from infections to cellular degradation.  These CT Scanners won't fit in your pocket, but the image you can get is amazing.  www.mgh.org/press/dualCT_scanner.html

I work for a company that makes these CT scanners and all I can say is "Wow!"

Pay close attention to science-fiction.  It's the first step to science reality.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Isn't this coming out on the new beemer

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

All you need to create similar effect to gravity on space vessel is simple Newtonian physics...