Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Single Greatest Problem with MMORPG's in a Picture.

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

So true. Something along the line that the person is intelligent, but people are ignorant.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

That's the single greatest problem in EVERY online game.

Scared little kids all of a sudden turn into huge, ignorant, bold racists over the internet. Its amazing.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Lol, so true! ^^

• Reborn17Reborn17 Member Posts: 414

Disagree. Coh has those things and very very few "dickwads". Games attract types of people based on premis and design. If you make your game anti-social by making it too solo or ganker friendly, or of a negative tilt, you attract anti-social people that, via anonymity, feel free to express their inner dickwad. If you make your game team friendly and cooperative, and of a more altruistic tilt, you get more nice, well adjusted, helpful people.

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -Edmund Burke

Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"
    (Psalm 94:16)

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

It's bizarre since I find CoH really really boring so you'd think people would be fraustrated by the bland grind but instead they turn polite? :o Then when presented with high quality dynamic content they decide to nerd-rage of the colour of a pair of gloves.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

So this has nothing to do with the idiots in the MMORPG industry making crappy games and bad decisions? Right...

If you need examples there's a whole lot of em over at SOE.  There's also the problem of inbreeding in the MMORPG industry.  The guys that worked on a crappy game are the same guys working on MMORPGS in development now. 

I'd say the biggest problem with MMORPG's aren't the players at all, its the lack of execution, bad management, and bad decisions that are destroying this industry.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by grimboj

It's bizarre since I find CoH really really boring so you'd think people would be fraustrated by the bland grind but instead they turn polite? :o Then when presented with high quality dynamic content they decide to nerd-rage of the colour of a pair of gloves.

And once again another poster assumes that since they find a game "boring" and "bland", it therefore follows that the rest of the world must also find said game boring.

Please try to understand.

We don't care!!!

And I have no idea what that last sentence means?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well for me it just depends on the MMO. Some games you have a vast majority of the community that fits that profile while other games seem to have very few that fit the bill. "Those people" tend to play newer style MMOs (i.e. WoW clones) as far as I've noticed so I stay away from them and stick with the old style MMOs (i.e. EQ clones).

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Carebear easy game like WoW or Warhammer + ADD kids = horrible community

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Carebear easy game like WoW or Warhammer + ADD kids = horrible community

:yawn:

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by DeaconX

On several ocassions I've put this theory to the test and had the opportunity to fly to new areas of the country... a few cities are much nicer then I originally thought.

Just remember... if somebody's a complete twit online, offer to go to their house so they can say these things straight to your face.  You might laugh when you get there for one of the following reasons:

A) Their mother answers the door while they peer out the window from upstairs.

B) They call the police for fear of you (I'm 5'9", 130 lbs, not very scary.  Make sure you keep a log on you of the conversation where he/she gave you the address).

C) Bring a condom (happened once... no joke)

D) Notify SOMEBODY that you're going there just in case.

All in all, I've done this 8 times and counting.  Never once has the person actually managed to say anything to my face they repeatedly said online for weeks prior... nor have they used the same attitude.

One guy was 38 and still living in his mother's basement in Kansas City... which was even better then the 15 year old kid who sent his mother to the door to get rid of me.

Don't stand for them to be douchebags, put them on the spot!

Insanity Note: I have had a gun pointed at me when I got there... there was no talking but I'm pretty sure he was scared.

Monetary Note: Doing this is VERY expensive... do so as your funds are available and you're sure you'll gain the upper hand overall.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

On several ocassions I've put this theory to the test and had the opportunity to fly to new areas of the country... a few cities are much nicer then I originally thought.

Just remember... if somebody's a complete twit online, offer to go to their house so they can say these things straight to your face.  You might laugh when you get there for one of the following reasons:

B) They call the police for fear of you (I'm 5'9", 130 lbs, not very scary.  Make sure you keep a log on you of the conversation where he/she gave you the address).

All in all, I've done this 8 times and counting.  Never once has the person actually managed to say anything to my face they repeatedly said online for weeks prior... nor have they used the same attitude.

One guy was 38 and still living in his mother's basement in Kansas City... which was even better then the 15 year old kid who sent his mother to the door to get rid of me.

Insanity Note: I have had a gun pointed at me when I got there... there was no talking but I'm pretty sure he was scared.

Monetary Note: Doing this is VERY expensive... do so as your funds are available and you're sure you'll gain the upper hand overall.

What a load of bull... and if it were true you'd end up on "To catch a predator".  Guns and condoms... yeah right.

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by dterry

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

What a load of bull... and if it were true you'd end up on "To catch a predator".  Guns and condoms... yeah right.

Perfect example of what the OP was talking about.

• BeltamkorBeltamkor Member Posts: 37

What I have noticed is, in several MMOs I played: Community tends to be much nicer and more mature in games where "re-rolling" or "creating" a new character is a pain or just plain pointless.

Perfect examples are FFXI and EvE in my experience. Both games force you to stick to one character only as re-rolling a new character puts you in severe disadvantage. Therefore, your reputation on a character is the reputation you'll have as long as you play the game.

On the opposite, we have WoW, where re-rolling on a different server with a completely different name is easy. Hence, asshats in wow, whenever they start seeing the sideeffects of their asshatery, can just go and play on another server.

• slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208

Yeah unfortunately that's becoming more true.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Beltamkor

What I have noticed is, in several MMOs I played: Community tends to be much nicer and more mature in games where "re-rolling" or "creating" a new character is a pain or just plain pointless.
    Perfect examples are FFXI and EvE in my experience. Both games force you to stick to one character only as re-rolling a new character puts you in severe disadvantage. Therefore, your reputation on a character is the reputation you'll have as long as you play the game.
    On the opposite, we have WoW, where re-rolling on a different server with a completely different name is easy. Hence, asshats in wow, whenever they start seeing the sideeffects of their asshatery, can just go and play on another server.

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is re-rolling is commong place in pretty much every game besides the two that you mentioned.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Although I've seen that picture before in a less pimped-out manner it still remains true.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Beltamkor What I have noticed is, in several MMOs I played: Community tends to be much nicer and more mature in games where "re-rolling" or "creating" a new character is a pain or just plain pointless.

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is re-rolling is commong place in pretty much every game besides the two that you mentioned.

Mostly because those two games are the only games that allow players to achieve maximum potential using only a single character. There's not much point in rolling an alt when your main can do the same thing without all the extra work.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Beltamkor

Except you'll never find a game that encourages more recreating or re-rolling, or alt toons than CoH and as reborn said the community there is pretty good.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

the way i see it is hiding behind your computer screen.

true story back in the days when i played world of warcraft (at launch and only played it for 2 months)

i was lvl 10 and minding my own business doing my own stuff and this guy challenges me for pvp. i see he is level 30 and i simply decline. he does it again and i decline. he does it a 3rd time i send him a polite PM to stop. he keeps doing it and i ask him why does he want to pvp if he can see that i am only lvl 10. his answer was because i know i can win you noob, now be a man and accept my challenge. to which i replied, you must be a very insecure kid in real life that has no friends and hides behind his computer screen and thinks he is all mighty because at lvl 30 he beat up a level 10. i get a pm back from him: reported have fun in bansville and he loged off.

never got banned (nor warned)

insecure kids who can't achieve nothing in live (most of the time its their parent's fault) can hide in a game which is easy for them to achieve something (instant gratification) and it makes them feel good, now he will reflect the behaviour of the only people with power that he has around him... (parents/ older brother/sister) back into the game, and there is where you find the asshats.

and writing this it just made me realize that again it all comes back to the bad parenting skills (or way of life of the parents) if a parent swears all the time, the father yells at the wife, what do you think the kid will grow up to do? swearing and yelling at the wife is normal

this same attitude is reflected within games that are very easy to get gratification such as WoW, WAR AOC EQ LOTRO etc... the only difference is that they are protected by 1) miles and miles and miles and 2) anonimity.