Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

morg games?

hello you guys, I am in the market for a new desk top and wanted something pretty much for morg's. My last high end laptop was a widow pc I can afford high end but I don't know about the technicalities of what makes a good computer for a morg

I have no idea what the "duo core" is or why it is important or what makes duo core good. Or the DDR3 SDRAM, wtf is this?  Idk about any of that stuff

One last thing when I bought my widow I thought I would finally be able to kick these kids a&%es, and I still got owned and I still received freezes and sometimes slow performance

whichimpacted game play at of course critical times. Does this have to do with the router and such? I need to know the best system inclusively top to bottom so I can finally play competively with these kids.

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

If your talking about the screen locking up then its a hardware issue. If you talking about being able to walk fine but hits not registering or getting pushed back to a point, then its lag. I will cover both cases in terms for morgs.

Hardware side. The most important things for games are the graphics card and the processor. In games today there is less used on the processor and more on the graphics card. For mmorpgs, they also make use of more memory. Considering you aren't computer savvy chances are you are running alot of background apps that eat away at your system causing the problem. My suggestion without changing your habits is to aim for more system memory and a quad processor.

A problem with your last computer is that it was a laptop. Laptops are highly limited in the gaming realm and they cannot offer what matters most. You obviously aren't computer savvy, so I have run a search on newegg to generate a list of desktops that would suit your needs.

Power Searched PCs. Note that not all the ones are 64-bit since I couldn't weed it out of the list so you have to pay attention to that. Also price is not important. All the PCs in this list will run all mmorpgs beautifully. Also as with all shipping, some parts may have come out of place. So you would need to check on that if it doesn't boot up when plugged in. Things like video-card and memory dimms not fully pushed in, or wires not plugged in.

Here is how I eliminated the criteria.

Processors: Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad, or AMD Phenom over 2.0ghz.
    Memory: 4GB or more of DDR2.
    Video Card: nVidia 8800GT, 9600, 9800, 9800 GX2, GTX260, GTX280; or ATI HD2900, HD3850, HD3870, HD3870X2, HD4650, HD4670, HD4850, HD4870, HD4870X2

Internet Connection: This would be associated with getting pushed back, or you can move but nothing else updates. The most common culprit is using a WiFi connection. Wireless will have a bad connection since it is subject to worse interference from metal, glass, and electricity. Another is your anti-virus if you are using Norton of Mcafee. Both are bloat-ware that rob your system of resources and limit your connection. I recommend NOD32 for anti-virus. Lastly there is your firewall or port-forwarding of your router. However, if you can get in the game this isn't the actual cause since it disbars the connection entirely. Your internet connection is the lowest culprit for mmos since they typically use much less. You can actually play most on a 12.2K modem. Other online games will require more.

• thank you very much this information is excellent, do I have to get the best router also? atm my wife and I have a d link a few years old, we also use earthlink, does the internet provider make much difference? I read once that if you are too far away from the "hub" or whatever that the connection will be slow, horror for morgs!

I'll check through the link you listed

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

D-Link isn't a good brand and only rescently started to sell some quality routers and switches.  However, I don't think it actually matters.  You do lose signal the further you are away, however its something like 300 feet before you start feeling the effects.

Earthlink also isn't overly bandwidth blocking which means you shouldn't have a problem.